Japan Says America's Godzilla is Too Fat

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Man, this is what's wrong with society these days. If a Kaiju is larger than a size 2000, they're overweight. Our standards for beauty are BS.

It's ok, Godzilla. You're fine just the way you are.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Actually, a lot of Godzilla was filmed in Canada. Hello BC! I see you!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Cut him some slack guys. It's been a long time since he last had work, the lack of activity has made him eat more than usual.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think it's mainly the small-featured head. Looks like more of a continuation of the neck. If they had a massive head it would look more like it traditionally does.

That said, I don't think the verdict of "some Japanese fans" is necessarily indicative of Japan's opinion, or really even actual criticism.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
It does look chunkier than the "original" but I guess having it done as a completely CGI monster had to give some changes to not make it look like a guy in a suit whom had to make a lot of effort when trying to walk.

BTW, I know pretty much nothing at all about the Godzilla universe, but is that other monster Gyaos? Or a different guy?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest he looks more massive and substantial, and more like a monster than a dude in a rubber suit (which the original was) that said I suppose I can see Japan's point, especially given the mobility (of a sort) Godzilla had in the movies and fight scenes, this one doesn't look like it could move that way (of course it looks monolithic enough where it wouldn't have to).

I suppose maybe this Godzilla did eat a few too many cargo ships full of food, but as Sammo Hung demonstrates in his movies, fat does not mean weak. :)

I didn't care for the 1998 version so seeing it "punk'd" was amusing, they made it too (dare I say) realistic when the thing gets taken out by a couple of jets if I remember. The "Final Wars" scene is pretty much what I'd expect in a comparison to the real one.

This Godzilla looks properly menacing though, and from the trailers seems to have the whole rampaging monster thing down (and apparently isn't going to be taken down by a couple of pansy jet fighters). If we see him borrowed for another Japanese movie hopefully he aquits himself well if he brawls with the "real" Godzilla in a sequel.

I also think it would be amusing if they played up the "fat Godzilla" thing in a movie to be honest, Godzilla doesn't generally seem to eat much. It would be funny if we had "Fat Godzilla" running around chowing down on stuff monster style, maybe even eating a couple of other giant monsters before the final brawl.... which might end in stalemate if Fat Godzilla winds up having to withdraw due to indigestion before the final resolution (that sounds like very Japanese humor).

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I was going to go into a rant about him being the largest iteration and its relation to the square-cube law, but then I realized I was talking about a 100m fire-breathing lizard. Logic is not a part of this equation.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this news article reporting on YouTube comments?

Um... wow.
Wait what?! Really?! Nonononononono, the minute Youtube comments become news is the minutes that I don't want to live on this planet anymore. I'm really hoping that these comments were sparked by the original creator of Godzilla (even if I don't agree with them) just so I won't have to learn that this site is reporting Youtube comments.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Origin of this "news" aside, is it just me or does anyone else think this "chubby" Godzilla is kind of cute?

I'm sure this is intentional and they've already got the plushy versions ready for production. But even if they don't it still looks very huggable to me.

Or in other words: "Daaaawh, Godzilla just wants to meet people and get some hugs! It's not his fault that he's so massive that everything breaks." :(

And just like that I know what this movie is about: Godzilla is just misunderstood, wants to play, and the other monster tries to steal his friends - fight happens. Godzilla wins all the hugs. Plan sequel. Post credit scene of Godzilla eating a whale as if it's a popsicle (or possibly a kebab).

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
ゴジラはとても太くなりました!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
This kind of comment happens everywhere regardless of nation, though. As much as people like to point out how defensive the Japanese are of their culture, the United States is the same way in some regards: It's just not as obvious due to our nation being a bit younger than many of the others (Spain and France are two good parallels). A bit of it can be seen in the "Religion and Politics" forums here on the site sometimes.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Kerethos said:
Origin of this "news" aside, is it just me or does anyone else think this "chubby" Godzilla is kind of cute?
... whaddya think of chibi Godzilla?http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/956/9113/original.jpg?w=600&h

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/Godzilla.jpg

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Some more great reporting from Bob. A couple of people on youtube say he's too fat and Bob cries "THE WHOLE OF JAPAN HATES NEW GODZILLA"

Who knew that a few comments were representative of an entire nation? Thanks for educating me on the matter, Bob.

Are you trying to get a job with the tabloid press?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
American Godzirra fat and lazy, not like proud and industrious Japanese Godzirra.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah and the Japanese Godzilla looks hidious.

Also why are we bringing news on random YouTube comments now >.>

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Bob this is trashy.

Making an article over some idiot's opinion, the guy probably isn't even a professional.