Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

gristledemon

Jul 4, 2010
Gsmoove said:
here's a question for fallout, "Why can't you send in the robot at the end?"
hahah or the fact by the end game your PC can TAKE IT and not die..... drove me insane when i jsut died.... i was not even rad sick! thank god for mods

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
The irony of all this is that Fallout: NV is less of an RPG and more of an FPS, a genre that Japan has never really cared for.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Anyone who thinks this will offend people in Japan are cracked. This is probably the only way that Fallout: New Vegas will sell in Japan.

Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

I think this might work for the Japanese sense of humour, I could be wrong, but they seem to like spite-filled sarcasm and parody.
Yeah, like he ^^^ said.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I play the odd JRPG... It's more akin to sitting down with a (somewhat mental) book. But Fallout 3... Fallout 3 is up there with my all time favourites.

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
Joke or not, I'm getting tired of this war between JRPGS and WRPGS - it's like Console Wars: The Next Chapter.

As long as I'm having fun playing the game, I could care less where it comes from.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
This ad is obviously culturally based and intended for Asian audiences, so us Westerners might interpret it differently. While I think it is not the right kind of advertising tactic to callout and rag on another game genre in order to promote your own game, it did make me chuckle a bit...I got tired of JRPG's over a decade ago and Final Fantasy VIII was the last one I played. Frankly, from looking at the Final Fantasies and other JRPG's released since, I think I only missed out on a lot of forgettable games with craptastic character design..but that's just me hehe.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
Er, people DO complain that FPS's aren't changing. How have you missed the oceans of people bitching about the endless sea of space-marines and the like?

Though at least FPSs have multiplayer modes to make up abit for there lack of newness, and some are different, like TF2.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
Man, that advertisement is pretty spot-on. Final Fantasy XIII WAS shit.

...oh what? It was talking about JRPGs in general?

...eh. I can't argue. Outside of the Shin Megami Tensei games, I can't remember a JRPG that came out in the last five years that gave me any sort of control over the plot, characters, etc.

I understand that this is sort of an accepted norm of the genre, but come on. FFXIII is like the premier example of how JRPGs hate the player, the concept of fun, and the concept of interactive gameplay.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
They are paid models.. paid to pretend to be protesting WRPGs, and were paid with advanced copies of Dragon quest IX

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now thats a very intresting way to advertise ones games...I wonder what kinda backlash that will have

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
wow I wasn't expecting this at all let's just hope the game is good enough for japan or else it'll be the japnese equivalent daikatana

careful

Jul 28, 2010
i think japanaese are proud of their unique rpg style, and they will hold their breath until their face turns blue and pass out before ever accepting a WRPG as an equal.

the comments on andriasang were insightfull:
From COSIGN: Lets be clear here. This ad was designed by Japanese people, not Bethesda. It is intended to be shocking. Probably because Fallout is such an unknown game anyway. You need something big to turn heads. They're trying to capture the imagination of a few lone rebels residing in Tokyo. And there sure aren't many of them.

i have to agree here; japanese gaming culture is not the type where a game like this will proliferate, and i predict failure.

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
I don't understand. Japanese people I'm told for various reasons dislike FPS games. Isn't that what Fallout is all about? That's why Microsoft pretty much has to pay Japanese people to buy an Xbox 360 because it sells about as much as dog shit does.

Apr 28, 2008
Gsmoove said:
here's a question for fallout, "Why can't you send in the robot at the end?"
Or Fawkes. Or just get a really big pole and poke in the numbers, then run out of the airlock, or just use that water-purifier in Megaton.

Of course that was Bethesda, this time its Obsidian, and if Alpha Protocol is anything to go buy, this game will have a story thats good, and choices that actually influence the story.

TheButteryGoodness

Sep 9, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
I think you will find that just as many people complain that theres no change in FPSs, Just look at Zero Punctuation