Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
Furburt said:
Actually though, as Booze Zombie said, it might actually just be the Japanese sense of humor, and it probably sounds a lot more insulting to Westerners than it does actual Japanese JRPG fans.
I totally agree with you. On the nose on how I feel about this.

JacOak

Oct 9, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
*Yawn* Companies are becoming professional trolls like yahtzee.
I have two problems with this statement - one, games companies have done far worse to each other through advertising in the past. I recall the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" slogan as the most flagrant example. B, Yahtzee is not a professional troll, he is a comedian who uses rage as a source of humour. People just can't spot that.
OT, this advert is entertaining, and as others have said, it's certainly a product of Japanese humour (after all, this is the country which has a gameshow where men are fired at women wearing nought but targeted undergarments and are required to kiss the targets for points). Wouldn't work anywhere else, in all likelihood.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
SoopaSte123 said:
snip for size
It just the hypocrisy of the whole argument, it's stupid at least JRPGs try. Unlike say Street fighter or COD.
Oh I agree completely. I could rant endlessly about Street Fighter and modern FPSs.
Actually, now rereading it, I origionally misunderstood what you said. Whoops. I DO agree with you that we see a lack of complaining about western videogame cliches while there we hear many more complaints about JRPGs. Haha sorry for the mixup.

Jun 26, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
SoopaSte123 said:
snip for size
It just the hypocrisy of the whole argument, it's stupid at least JRPGs try. Unlike say Street fighter or COD.
Oh I agree completely. I could rant endlessly about Street Fighter and modern FPSs.
Actually, now rereading it, I origionally misunderstood what you said. Whoops. I DO agree with you that we see a lack of complaining about western videogame cliches while there we hear many more complaints about JRPGs. Haha sorry for the mixup.
S'okey, s'okey... Now! Look into my avatar and squee with delight!
*squee*

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Ok... as a JRPG fan I can't help but want to start a flaming session and start abusing Western RPGs for all of their faults, but this type of advertising is just as bad as election advertising in Australia at the moment. Nothing but slander without offering what they have in return is not a good strategy. I prefer JRPGs over WRPGs mainly because I like books and anime and JRPGs gives me 2 in one, a good narrative with appealing visuals. Now WRPGs have their merits and I do like Fallout 3 only out of the genre but for the most part the games just can't suck me in. Regardless ad campaigns like this are wrong and even though they are trying to sell it as an alternative, slandering the opposite isn't going to help their sales in a market that probably didn't like the previous games fom the series.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Frankly, I love this. JRPGs are like Japan's national sport. This ad basically pisses all over Japan's national sport and tells them to play baseball instead. It then goes on to explain exactly why it pissed on Japan's national sport and why baseball is better - by paying Japanese people to look grumpy and hold up signs bearing these explanations.

I don't think I could love this any more if it gave me pizza and a blowjob.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Anyone who thinks this will offend people in Japan are cracked. This is probably the only way that Fallout: New Vegas will sell in Japan.
And even then it won't sell for shit.

When FF13 outsells both Mass Effect and Dragon Age worldwide combined, somehow I doubt that New Vegas is going to buck the trend.

In fact, Fallout 3 only sold 160k between the ps3 and x360 in Japan, and Mass Effect sold 30k.

Nice try, but no dice Bethesda.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
So the advertisement in Japan is to say that their game is the exact opposite of what is arguably Japan's favorite genre? Yep, brilliant advertising there. [/sarcasm]

I like JRPGs and WRPGs alike, so that's not even bias. It's just dumb advertising. Although it will be amusing to see how people will react to it.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
squid5580 said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
No kidding. RPGs seem to be the ones pushing the envelope trying to evolve. Granted not every one is genius but at least they are trying.
i think the reason why ppl notice stagnation in RPGs instead of shooters is because RPGs are much more immersive. u pik ur characters choices, looks, u choose his armor, and sometimes the way he fights. the character u create in RPGs is much more like a virtual version of you, cept, you know, better looking. while in shooters u really only pik what guns u use and ur off. s its alot easier to pik out the sameness in RPGs.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
oh dear, I can see nothing good coming of this, and all the JRPG fans and japanophiles of the escapist insulting WRPGS and shooters in an effort to...well, probably just start a flame war, but eh, let em do as they please. They shall be ignored.

I'm getting fallout NV already, and reassuring me that it is nothing like a certain other RPG that came out this year seems redundant. Also, advertising a game in Japan by saying "it's nothing like Final Fantasy! Buy it!" seems like it would be just as effective as going to South Korea and saying "It's nothing like Starcraft! Buy it!"

imPacT31

Mar 19, 2008
In theory this is a decent idea, if people have become disenchanted with the traditional JRPG formula, they may see this advert and take an interest in a product making clear how it subverts those trends. On the other hand, those who enjoy JRPGs may become overly defensive and be dissuaded from taking any interest in the game by this campaign. I don't think there'd be a great deal of point to an advert like this in the West but it may actually get them some sales in Japan.

Personally I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and have just gone back to playing my post-completion game in the last week, but I also thought Final Fantasy XIII was a great game. The two genres offer totally different gameplay experiences and are both appreciable for what they do.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
JacOak said:
crimsonshrouds said:
*Yawn* Companies are becoming professional trolls like yahtzee.
I have two problems with this statement - one, games companies have done far worse to each other through advertising in the past. I recall the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" slogan as the most flagrant example. B, Yahtzee is not a professional troll, he is a comedian who uses rage as a source of humour. People just can't spot that.
OT, this advert is entertaining, and as others have said, it's certainly a product of Japanese humour (after all, this is the country which has a gameshow where men are fired at women wearing nought but targeted undergarments and are required to kiss the targets for points). Wouldn't work anywhere else, in all likelihood.
I think yahtzee is funny and great with humor but you can't tell me that in a few of his "reviews" he wasn't just being a professional troll.

Second: excuse me for not knowing about every ad campaign and i should have stated: *yawn* "Game companies being professional trolls" I didn't realize people would have problems with what i said.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
All seem like reasonable complaints, not so much a knock against JRPGs but bad games. I mean Harvest Moon is JRPG and it doesn't have those problems.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
well a poll of Japanese Gamers in 2009 showed that Fallout 3 Made their Top Ten RPG's List.

it made number ten but that's still something.

http://www.japanator.com/japanese-gamers-name-their-top-ten-favorite-rpgs-11858.phtml