Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
Ugh, fanboy hate for the vast majority of the comments. You know this sort of complacency helps hold the genre back as a whole. These ads aren't going to topple the Japanese RPG market, but they do bring up some good points. I'm a fan of the genre, yet I recognize what some of the major problems are and these ads brought these issues up.

Somewhat recently I noticed how far we've transformed into movies intercut with occasional fight sequences; singular storylines too have been a long term complaint and while I would not consider that in itself a problem, the sense that you are not really contributing anything is.

Series like Fire Emblem have made some slight progress in player actions affecting more than just win/lose battle outcomes, and I think other JRPGs need to take it a couple steps forward.

Unless we are willing to innovate, change up traditional archtypical plotlines, and give players a larger hand in the shaping of events, we risk largely stagnating as the Madden Franchise has, or worse, turning off percentages of the audience to the genre for more interactive experiences in western RPGs.

I don't believe the predicament is nearly as dire as has been suggested, but we do need to demand innovation if we don't want to slip in that direction.

Camonna Tong

Aug 10, 2010
I used to be a fan of JRPG but so many have become so boring.(The turn based ones. Most of them have way too much grinding.) I love the japanese as a culture always have, but Square Enix turn based games get boring the only one I like is Star Ocean. This must be Bethsoft in Japan. It's not our fault even though the President there can say what he mostly wants. It is linked to us but in a Japanese perspective. (i.e. it's the Japanese Bethsoft president not the American Bethsoft President.) But the Japanese did want Oblivion so we sent it over there and the Bethsoft Japan quarters. But the real thing is couldn't some company have the idea of for those turn based and Real time fans have an option to pick between which one you want to play as and customize it being more user friendly.(That would eat up the game memory or at least use to CDs and be able to import your save over to the other Cd.) Japanese make good games so do us Americans, I like FF story its one of the best but the way they have the engine is not my thing Oblivions modified engine with hardly any bugs plus everything from FF minus the engine would be a very good game. Or as I said before having the option to switch game Engines. Though the worlds top selling RPG is still American aka WoW, not a big fan of MMO's though, didn't like FF MMO nor will I like my favorite company Bethesda Softworks MMO. To me in a sense the game rules over you, rules all that sorts of stuff, Non-MMO you have more control over the game less limitations NOT LEASING <- not for angry just for notice. Though in 5 or so years they are thinking of leasing games, yes, like FF, Oblivion, Fallout, and make you pay every year for how many you own. It's mostly to eliminate pirating but as long as there is technology you can find back doors into the games. For speed they are thinking of using light instead of electricty not sure how it will work. Sorry for going off topic but games are games, games do still serve one purpose it most senses to entertain people no matter if it's a JRPG or what-not. It's for entertainment.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
They're all perfectly valid JRPG arguments, though nearly all RPG's have an element of grinding, which can be a chore if gameplay is not compelling enough.
PS. FALLOUT:NEW VEGAS WILL ROCK!!!

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Seriously? Fallout 3 didn't even have that much choices, I'd much rather play a good jrpg than something bland like fallout.