Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
allistairp said:
Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?
In order:
No interest in handhelds as I am always at home.
No money.
Too expensive if I had money.
All the 3D in the world doesn't matter if there's no Zelda out yet, i.e. there's just crap out for it a.t.m. that's not worth it. Pilot Wings? Pah!

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I have not, for the reason that I hate the stylus as a tool for anything other than Tower Defense, its 3D gimmickiness on the first one with a joystick, and its lack of anything I want to play except Pokemon.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Why have I not bought one?

Because I'm a PC gamer with absolutely 0 interest in any Japanese title that isn't Phoenix Wright, and because I'm not going to support a firm that relies simply on gimmicks and the same small selection of franchises which it has milked to near-death.

Oh, and because there's absolutely nothing I want to play on it, and even if there was, I don't give a monkey's uncle about playing in 3D... And I'm currently mid-upgrade, too.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I'm not getting one for a while. The price is one reason, otherwise I'd get one just to replace my DS. But I don't trust Nintendo, considering the amount of DS versions they released I'm waiting for at least the next version, and a lower price.
Mainly though, the game lineup sucks, with Street Fighter the only thing I'd buy right now.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
I got a 3DS.

Reasons for buying:

-DS Lite's d-pad is very dodgy now. Can't be bothered to fix.
-Love fighting games. Dead Or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter 4 3D are very nice fighters to have on the go
-Like the augmented reality (Nintendo get off your butts and give us loads more stuff to do with those cards. Bundle more cards in with some games or something. I already got bored with the default stuff after a few days)
-3D is currently underutilised, but given time could be used very effectively.
-The Streetpass function is suprisingly good actually. I tend to take my 3DS out with me to get steps. Release a pet simulator through the 3DS store (I don't know about Nintendogs and Cats, but I heard it was not much of an improvement so I didn't bite on that one)
Also it seems kind of unfair to limit the amount of coins you can get in a day. 10 is a little small....

I can definately see why people don't want it yet though.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Aside from priciness and lack of impressive games, I'd say the fact that they're pushing for graphical quality on portable handheld games, which isn't what I want as a priority in that market. In fact, really high quality graphics would probably just give me motion sickness (especially the 3D... oh lord I can't imagine what level of motion sickness that'd give me)

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The unimpressive launch lineup and the fact I'm holding out for a XL version. I need big, easy to read screens, plox.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
What gets me is how many gaming pundits, when they first saw the 3DS, were all like, "WOW! This 3D effect is amazing! NINTENDO WINS FOREVER!" Then I try a 3DS in the store and I can't see the 3D effect at all.. unless I stand in a specific spot, and even then I constantly feel like I'm seeing double. It's disorienting and uncomfortable... and at the same time, it's how the whole gimmick they're selling this thing around!

On the other hand some of those complaints seem a little petty. Too heavy? Too heavy!? The hell it is! Okay, you could probably injure someone if you threw it at his head really hard, but it's not exactly a block of lead.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I'm not interested - not had a handheld since my Gameboy Colour because then I got an N64. Honestly, there's not been a single hand-held title that's made me go "Oh God, I really need to buy that system because my PC doesn't provide adequate entertainment to meet that niche!" The only thing I miss out on are beat 'em ups (not that I've ever got into them) and action games like God of War, but at the end of the day all games are a luxury, not Pokemon - you don't need 'em all.

With the increase in mobile gaming offers from phones and tablet PCs, I would have thought that dedicated hand held consoles would be becoming somewhat less necessary, and it looks like Nintendo's 3D tech isn't enough of a gimmick to keep the punters' interests.

Flip the question around - instead of "Why not": Why should you buy a Nintendo 3DS or a PSP? Why should the system be selling?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Show me at least three titles I want to buy on shelves, with promise of at least 5 more, and we'll talk. Used, of course.

HDID

Oct 12, 2008
Drakmeire said:
Number 6 says it all, NO GAMES
just wait for the holiday season when the AAA titles start coming, these things will fly off shelves.
They'll be flying off the shelves at Christmas regardless of whether any decent games are out yet or not though?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I have yet to see a game that I actually want for starters, and secondly that thing is too expensive for basically the same thing with a 3D. They have yet to sell me on the 3D, and I doubt they will, and to me they would have to make it non-gimmicky, which I doubt.

Sorry, Nintendo, but I like my DS lite.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Im not concerned by the lack of sales as I think their mostly due to the launch lineup, I have faith it will get better as I remember the DS had a bad alunch lineup to and people were very wishy-washy about how it would turn out,soon though I suspect we will see a bunch of great games come out.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
CM156 said:
My reason is this: I hate 3D. It is a gimmick to me, and not a good one.

That, and that I didn't see any titles that I wanted. I can think of no game that I have ever played that would be improved by 3D
Me too. The biggest thing stopping me from buying, besides the price, is the 3D. I know you can turn it off, but it still ripples though out the game designers intentions for the game. Its just not for me.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
The reason I haven't bought a 3DS is because of the fact that if I'm going to splash out so much money on a new handheld, I actually want some new games, rather than just ports of popular old titles.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
I just bought a DS Lite a year ago. There's still a few DS games I want to get before I even think about getting a 3DS.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
Well, a few reasons:

1 - This is the most important reason: 3D does not agree with me. Be it 3D cinemas, TV or the 3DS, my head (and stomach most of the time) gives up and I need to lie down for a good 5 - 10 minutes in order to recover. I like my health the way it is, thanks XD

2 - FAR too expensive. I refuse to throw out £180 (or £160 without a game on Amazon) for a crappy game and a console that makes my head feel like it's in a vise and my stomach like it's riding a boat in a wave-tank.

3 - Lack of Backwards compatibility. Main reason I haven't upgraded from the Lite (still have my original as well)

4 - Battery life is pathetic. Even my 3-4 (maybe even 5) year old Sony Walkman (nearing its second battery change) is better than this

5 - Priorities: I need to upgrade my 7-8 year old, Single Core processor computer XD I have no money for it, so that's what I'm saving up for

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
I haven't bought a 3DS because I own both a 360 and a PS3 (sorta, the PS3 is actually my brother's but we share a room) and between the two I still have a ton of games to play leaving me unable to justify purchasing a new system until I've played them. I'd also have to hold myself back from purchasing new games to add to that pile for long enough to play them all which is unlikely. Hmm, I may have issues.

Oct 18, 2008
TestECull said:
I can tell you why I don't want to buy one.

When I buy a product, it becomes mine. I assume 100% total control over it. I will do as I please to it, and it will do as I command it to and nothing more. Nintendo seems to think otherwise, however. They seem to think they have the right to force my product to update itself against my wishes, they seem to think they have the right to brick it because I had the gall to do what I wanted to something I paid good god damned money for, and they openly acknowledge such terms are so draconic they're not legal in Europe. So fuck you, Nintendo. I'm not going to hand you several hundred dollars for a device you still have control over.
Yes I agree completely! I am not paying $250 to RENT a 3DS from Nintendo!!! I will stick with my DS Lite! And Nintendo can bite me!