Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
cursedseishi said:
"3DS' inability to play Game Boy games (#13)"

That's unexpected? Hell, one of the main reasons I stuck with the original DS was because of its backwards playability.

And is among one of several reasons, most of which listed by that survey unsurprisingly, why I'm not too interested in getting one.
But even the original DS couldn't play all of them. It could only play Advance-generation games.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Also, I refuse to buy one until the inevitable 'lite' version that has better screen resolution and longer battery life.
This. It's like when Apple releases a new product: 500 million people will buy it the first day, then 6 months later they reveal a new 'updated' version with umpteen new features. It just doesn't pay.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
For me it's because it's too expensive and it's lack of games, although I've already seen shops reducing the price. My local gamestation is selling a cosmo black one with a game for £179, and an independent store was selling just the console for £169. So I could see an official price drop soon.

I wonder if it will cause rage like the last time Nintendo dropped the price of a console right after launch... was it the Gamecube they did that with? It was either that or the N64.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I don't see what's so great about 3DS :/

I played it, yeah the 3D was cool, but once you look past that, its just a slightly better version of the regular DS, besides, if you own a DSiXL, there is even less incentive to buy a 3DS. 3DS tries to catch us with two new big things, 3D and better graphics, but once the 3D gets old (which is pretty fast for gamers like myself) all that is left is the prettier graphics, if I cared that much for prettier graphics, I'd wait for the PS Vita (which is exactly what I'm doing).

I'm pretty dissappointed in the 3DS, hopefully more comes out for it later to make it more interesting a purchase, but to me, its no better to my DSiXL as PSPGo was to the PSP3000.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I don't have a 3DS... mostly because of the whole money thing.

But then there aren't really any interesting games out for it yet either. The OoT remake seems nice, though.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?
i) A half decent battery life wouldn't hurt it.
ii) Nintendo's somewhat ridiculous (and illegal) DRM scheme that is no doubt present in European units even if it isn't being admitted to.
iii) Some games I would like to play and haven't already played hundreds of time on the N64 and Cube would be nice.

But really it's the DRM, I use my DS-Lite as a combination sketch book and MP3 player with the aid of a flash cart. I'm thinking of getting an XL and using that as the various applications I've got on it would benefit from having a camera and a bit more processing oomph to play with.

Really I bought a DS for it's non gaming potential more than Nintendo's ow n products, so I guess that makes me exactly the person they're trying to get rid of with the 3ds (and they're succeeding). It's a shame, in the contexts I use it my DSlite is way better than an Ipad would be.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
"New colors: Want a pink one." says my girlfriend. I want Purple, silver or, a classic grey. Other than that I want a system with a more powerful battery. I don't care so much for the size/weight since I have yet to and, doubt I will ever buy into the skinny-jean fad. Other than that, the only game I'm really excited about right now is Samurai Warrior which I know will see a price drop once more titles are out.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
"New colors: Want a pink one." says my girlfriend. I want Purple, silver or, a classic grey. Other than that I want a system with a more powerful battery. I don't care so much for the size/weight since I have yet to and, doubt I will ever buy into the skinny-jean fad. Other than that, the only game I'm really excited about right now is Samurai Warrior which I know will see a price drop once more titles are out.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
cursedseishi said:
"3DS' inability to play Game Boy games (#13)"

That's unexpected? Hell, one of the main reasons I stuck with the original DS was because of its backwards playability.

And is among one of several reasons, most of which listed by that survey unsurprisingly, why I'm not too interested in getting one.
Agreed. Im still using a DS lite, for older games. No backwards compatability is a stupid move.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
pulse2 said:
I don't see what's so great about 3DS :/

I played it, yeah the 3D was cool, but once you look past that, its just a slightly better version of the regular DS, besides, if you own a DSiXL, there is even less incentive to buy a 3DS. 3DS tries to catch us with two new big things, 3D and better graphics, but once the 3D gets old (which is pretty fast for gamers like myself) all that is left is the prettier graphics, if I cared that much for prettier graphics, I'd wait for the PS Vita (which is exactly what I'm doing).

I'm pretty dissappointed in the 3DS, hopefully more comes out for it later to make it more interesting a purchase, but to me, its no better to my DSiXL as PSPGo was to the PSP3000.
So going from slightly better than N64 Graphics to graphics that look better than the Wii, adding on a thumbstick and increasing the game card storage size is only "slightly" better?

I think this is another reason the 3DS hasn't sold well. People honestly think that it's not a real upgrade to the DS when it's actually the next generation and Nintendo's lack of advertising it as so doesn't help.

Also who waits for graphics on a handheld. If that was the case everyone would have bought a PSP. It's all about the games and because of that the best option would be to get both the 3DS and NGP.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I once bought a DS for a single game. Yet I see no reason to buy a goddamn 3DS. I mean, it's 3D. So what? I ask.
And Sony before you start moving in with your NGPSP2 Vita or whatever. I'll say... At least it's not 3D, still not buying it though.

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
i couldn't tell the difference nor purpose of 3d in games.
maybe it's just me but i am simply not intrested Nintendo, oringinal ds kicked ass with gta ctw and phoenix wright unless you get good games its going to be another virtual boy fast.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
The only way I would spring for a 3DS is if they released a new Fire Emblem game. Nothing else has the ability to push me that far.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Tiny screen. Oh god, the tiny screen. I haven't bought a handheld since I got my enormous laptop. I don't like playing games on tiny little screens. Imagine Pokemon in huge detailed graphics. YES.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
It's the battery life that kills it for me. I am not shilling out $250 for a battery that only works 3 - 5 hours. That's complete and total bullshit.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I know someone who has one and when he first offered me a short play on it, I put it down because I had eaten a hearty lunch just before hand and I thought I might get a headache. I thought the 3D on the camera was decent, though.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
My reason for not getting one, very bad TOS
"By accepting this Agreement or using a Nintendo 3DS System or the Nintendo 3DS Service, you also grant to Nintendo a worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display your User Content in whole or in part and to incorporate your User Content in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes"

so they own your photos or videos you make.

We also may share such information and any User Content you create with third parties. We may share your PII, Non-PII, and Aggregate Information with third parties to complete your transactions and provide you with advertising and other promotional materials on your Nintendo 3DS System.(Nintendo 3DS System Privacy Policy)

So you bought it so you can get ads on it whoopie

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
It's costs as much as a brand friggin' new console. $250 dollars? No thanks, i'll upgrade my hardrive for my ps3.

Vithma

May 9, 2011
I'm sorry but i tried playing one in a game's shop where you could try it...
after less than 5 minutes my eyes hurt and i felt sick, plus i agree with the fact it isnt compatible with game boy games and stuff.... The DS or DS lite is much better, and the fact you can play older games from the game boy advance and stuff, makes it even better