Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
It was fun when I tried one when they were showing them off in my city, but not enough for me to buy one. To appeal to me, there would need to be a massive price drop (going with the Amazon price of £180 it would need to drop to at most 13% of its current price) and there would need to be some games released that very specifically meet my wants and needs.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
why, I'll tell you why

3D is another way for greedy company's to get more of your hard earned cash!
I have no interest in 3D films, 3D games, 3D TV's etc, etc!
(and I hardly ever play my DS anymore!)

pulse2

May 10, 2008
t_rexaur said:
pulse2 said:
I don't see what's so great about 3DS :/

I played it, yeah the 3D was cool, but once you look past that, its just a slightly better version of the regular DS, besides, if you own a DSiXL, there is even less incentive to buy a 3DS. 3DS tries to catch us with two new big things, 3D and better graphics, but once the 3D gets old (which is pretty fast for gamers like myself) all that is left is the prettier graphics, if I cared that much for prettier graphics, I'd wait for the PS Vita (which is exactly what I'm doing).

I'm pretty dissappointed in the 3DS, hopefully more comes out for it later to make it more interesting a purchase, but to me, its no better to my DSiXL as PSPGo was to the PSP3000.
So going from slightly better than N64 Graphics to graphics that look better than the Wii, adding on a thumbstick and increasing the game card storage size is only "slightly" better?

I think this is another reason the 3DS hasn't sold well. People honestly think that it's not a real upgrade to the DS when it's actually the next generation and Nintendo's lack of advertising it as so doesn't help.

Also who waits for graphics on a handheld. If that was the case everyone would have bought a PSP. It's all about the games and because of that the best option would be to get both the 3DS and NGP.
I don't think you're seeing the point I was making.

I recently bought a DSiXL for my sister, which I happen to play as well, why not? The DSiXL is a superb portable gaming console and the back log of games to go with it is astounding. In comparison, the 3DS is lacking in pretty much every aspect except graphics and 3D. Everything else is a bonus not a deal maker, my sister is not going to care about extra thunbsticks and memory capacity, and I have even lesser use for the device, but if 3DS was more than what I experienced, I would have been keen to save up and buy one for myself, as it stands, there just isn't enough to get me hooked. So that's why I can safely say the graphics are only marginly better, they may look great compared to the DSiXL, but compared to a PSP, its still not quite there.

And who waits for graphics? I dunno, maybe me? Maybe my standards for portable gaming devices have risen since owning a PSP, I want to play a better looking version of Monster Hunter on the go -_- Not worse. But of course I'm buying it for the games first and foremost, I would have thought that was just common sense. On a side note, you make it sound as though PSP didn't sell :/

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Meh, I have one, I haven't turned 3D on since the day I bought it, and I don't plan to change that pattern.

My biggest gripe is that the thrice damned update for the DSware store has been pushed back again.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I haven't gotten one because:
1) 3D, in films and gaming, is at best a gimmick and at worst a waste of time for developers thus lowering the quality of their game.

2) The ToS allows Nindy to screw with my system, w/o my consent, so fuck them for that!
Even MS doesn't do that with the Xbox360!

3) Launch titles seem mediocre and so do most titles coming out - I'm SICK of mediocre remakes!

4) Battery life is 'meh'.

5) There are no 'Atlus' games on the system.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I bought one on release. I really wish I hadn't. I could have easily waited for a price drop, or a 'lite' ore remake version. I still don't have a single 3DS game, and until some killer apps start coming (likely Zelda) I won't. I won't settle for shovelware. I sometimes use my 3DS, but I still regularly use my DS lite.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
It's pretty simple really:

I am waiting for good games to be released... I am not interested in a zelda remake, but I am interested in third party games such as the resident evil titles and the new kingdom hearts.

By waiting until these titles are out you are not spending £250 on a machine you won't use for several months. There is also the chance for early issues to be ironed out, bundle packs, more choice of console, and of course the price drop from situations like this one!

I believe the 3DS will pick up later down the line. I bought a ds in the first week of launch, but only because a friend pressured me to, and it was affordable in a bundle pack.
There was no good games for that either so we simply played the metroid demo in multiplayer for ages until they eventually released mario kart :p

And look at what the ds went on to be. It's now my second favourite console ever, and has it's share of intense, revolutionary, fun, and artistic games.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
Am I the only person that actually likes their 3DS? I mean, I just beat DOA:D (Got all the characters + Finished all the story modes) and I am still playing it. The 3D in that game is amazing, and if the graphics in the upcoming titles are anywhere near as good as the ones in that game then I will be glad my $250 paperweight (until a few weeks ago) was bought.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
I got a 3DS because A. My 4+ year old DS Lite was breaking down and the price to fix it was roughly the same as buying a brand new one, and B. it was close to my birthday, so my parents decided to "splurge" a bit and told me they'd get me a 3DS.

I recently reserved Zelda, but aside from that I've been using it just to play regular DS games. It'll be nice to see the (3)DSware store, since my DS Lite didn't have that option, and I have to say I've been using/enjoying the joystick far more than the control pad (but that's possibly more to do with the fact that the joystick is in the same place as the control pad used to be, and I can't begin to tell you how many times I've hit the power button subconsciously thinking it was the Start button.)

Mixed feelings aside, I do believe the 3DS didn't quite hit the ground running at it's release as it tripped on it's own two feet shortly out of the starting gate. But I do have high hopes that it'll get back on it's feet and run a good, strong race like it's predecessor.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
A population of ~1000 (Specifically 1048 IIRC) is enough to generate statistical data with a margin of error of either 5% or 10% (I forget which).

That said, one thing right off the bat that strikes me as a major red flag is the gender gap. Statistically a population runs around 1%-2% variance on gender (IIRC) (barring outside factors) so the biggest gap you should be seeing on gender sampled should be around 45/55, (at the outside of your margin of error) that suggests there was some flaw in population sampling that does render the rest of the data somewhat suspect.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
icyneesan said:
The number 1 reason I havent bought a 3DS is because I have no money. I really need to buy a new video card for my PC. Plus I need color ink for my printer. Then theres gas money for my car. Plus I really wanna pick up a copy of Dynasty Warriors 7. If Nintendo gives me money, then I shall buy a 3DS.
Just gotta say... whoa... that sounds almost EXACTLY like my situation right now.
No money: gotta save to move AGAIN (long story).
Need not just a video card, but a new PC. Mine's 4 years old now and on its last legs.
Also need color ink for the printer.
Need a car, too, not just gas.
AND I want LA Noire some time this century.

So can I have some money too, Nintendo? You seem to have enough of it to go around.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Have to agree about the lack of interesting games, only have Pilotwings, but that was more of a shot in the dark and didnt like it that much, looking interested in Street Fighter 4 and DoA, i definately know that the 3DS Shop, Internet browser and perhaps the Launch of LoZ:OoT3DS would tide some time over.

So what games are you waiting for at the moment? Beat Trip: Saga, Cave Story..umm, LoZ:OoT3DS (obviously)...

Hopefully regular DS titles hasn't died out, probally would love to see DQJ2 (or Professional), a few more Prof Laytons and perhaps...an, Gamefaqs has a list, but nothing is that good, the titles im hopign for hasnt got dates outside of Japan, heard about Layton though.

I refuse to believe that the Killer App for the 3DS was Pilotwings or Nintendogs+Cats....

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I'm too poor to effort one right now. I do hope, though, that they announce some new games at e3, their lineup as of now isn't very impressive.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Zero puncuation told me not to buy one. Mainly his point that u have to hold ur head at just the right distance and just the right height. Why make a handheld gaming system that needed that?

Should just make a 3DS helmet or something.

Seriously tho, it sounds like a gimmick more then anything. I've played 3D games on the computer and I'm not really that impressed. Heck, 3D just doesn't strike me as something I need to get.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
1. 3D is gimmicky
2. 3D is not done well
3. 3D causes eye strain and will eventually ruin your eyes
4. Crappy resolution and poor 3D effect may cause motion sickness
5. Current games not that good
6. Future games feel regurgitated (old games with added 3D gimmick)
7. Not really mobile (battery)
8. Crap performance from the old GPU (any smartphone on the market (PowerVR) pisses all over nintendo's chip (pica200))
9. Screen is poor quality
10. No dual analogue sticks
11. NO DUAL ANALOGUE STICKS WTF!!!
12. Colours? Meh.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I'm sure many, many people have said this already, but the absolute number one reason the 3DS isn't selling is:

It has NO GAMES WORTH BUYING.

Look at the Playstation 2 for a scientific example. That machine had so many games from so many mainstream to obscure developers that it outsold absolutely everyone. We don't buy games consoles for the hardware Nintendo, we but them because there are GAMES we want to play on them.

I wouldn't have bought a Gamecube if you hadn't released Sonic: Adventure 2: Battle on there! And yes, I love my Gamecube, but I wouldn't have bought it just for the sake of owning one.