Jesse Eisenberg Cast as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred in Man of Steel Sequel

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Those are some interesting casting choices.

I've always thought of Luthor as at least a few years older than Superman and as someone with a charismatic, intimidating presence, neither of which I really see in the meek-looking babyfaced Eisenberg. I'm imagining his bald head sticking out of the iconic Luthor battle armor and I'm having a hard time not snickering.

Irons could turn out ok. I wonder if his sharper features and voice will lead him to play a harsher, more strict Alfred than his predecessors.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
A man known mostly for playing meek and social awkward characters playing a determined, devious, and commanding businessman? What could possibly for wrong?
Mark Zuckerberg was meek? How did you get that?

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
JenSeven said:
Yes, Irons should get more attention.

He's a homophobic halfwit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

Seriously, watch the video.

That really is a man we should have in the media.
I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.
Without meaning to go off topic here, you're essentially saying:

"Here is a man with an unpopular opinion, as I find is opinion morally reprehensible, he should not be allowed to express it in the public eye."

Not how "free speech" works I'm afraid. He rather clumsily made a suggestion about the state of marriage, saying nothing particularly offensive. I understand the desire for equality and why people strive to achieve that, but be careful you aren't encroaching on the liberties of others while demanding your own.

On topic: Eisenberg as Lex? Well, could be worse. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I can imagine Irons as Alfred and Affleck as Bruce Wayne, but I don't think anything will top the casting of the Dark Knight trilogy.

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
And in other news Steve Buscemi is looking forward to playing Robin in the Batman sequel. Says "Kevin James will take Catwoman in an interesting new direction" in recent interview.
In all seriousness, Eisenberg is not who I would've picked for the role of Luther. I'm not even that aware of Superman and his mythos but Luther has always struck me as cunning, powerful and determined, Eisenberg playing the role might pull it off but I think he'd probably make the guy look more weasely than anything. I also don't imagine he'd be able to pull off bald.
But hey, maybe he'll make it all work out and we'll wonder why we ever doubted him for the role.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
This is just.... confusing. So now Batman is going to be old enough to be Lex Luthors dad? That might be a BIT of a stretch, but still. I hated their choice for Batman, but this one just leaves me baffled.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Has no one else figured this out yet? Jesse Eisenberg is the exact same age as Henry Caville. They were trying to make Luthor and Superman equals down to their age.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I think this might actually work well. I know he doesn't play evil people but in the Social Network, he was excellent at being almost sociopathic in his sometimes blatant disregard for other people's feelings. He exuded an aura that basically said "I'm smarter than you and I know it." Take that further and add some malevolence and I think he'd make a very convincing villain.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Scrawny villains characters can get intimidating, but if they were going that route I'd have have gone with Mark Ryder who played cesear Borgia's from the Canal+ Borgias show. That dude is so impressive. I honestly don't know Eisenberg and can't remember seeing him in anything so I won't pass judgement, but from the picture it's kind of hard to see him as a villain and not just some awkward teenager (disaster if you can't sell it, ask george lucas).

PS: Jeremy Irons is kind of a meh choice. Good actor, easy obvious choice. And completely uninspiring.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Toadfish1 said:
Boo I say. Screw Eisenberg, get Heisenberg. They should have gone with Bryan Cranston.
Honestly, I thought this was the one obvious way to go now that they let Kevin Spacey have a crack at it. I can get behind Ben Affleck as Batman, but htey just painted TRAINWRECK with big shiny letters on this ride.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*before reading the article*
Jesse Eisenberg? Wonder who that is.
*To the IMDBmobile*
... Hah. Hahah. HA HA HA!... oh wait, they're serious?

Yeah, still not actually interested in "Man of Steel 2: We Gotta Compete with Marvel, Dammit!"

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
I can't wait to not see this movie. The casting director should be fired. I like each person listed here individually, but they just aren't meant for the roles they are being cast in. I can't picture it. And won't. Burn in hell, this movie. Burn eternally.
Every time someone says something like this I think back to the reactions people had about Heath Ledger as the Joker, Michael Keaton as Batman (I hated Burton's Batman films, but Keaton was definitely a highlight of them and played the role well with what he was given to work with) and I grin smuggly as I remember that most people who ***** about casting before the movie is even out tend to be wrong and get worked up over nothing.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
JenSeven said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.
rasputin0009 said:
JenSeven said:

Unbelievable.
Just from the video, I couldn't tell if he was homophobic or not. He said a lot of really stupid things and he mixed himself up a lot, but he didn't seem to be overtly homophobic. Just ignorant and uneducated.
I didn't take homophobia from that interview at all. What i got from it was a man thinking out loud that if governments aren't careful with legal wording, assholes (not necessarily gay people only) may find a way to exploit the new legislation. And it was tinged with a view on the word "marriage" that is somewhat dated in my opinion, but yeah, dude is old, and while that isn't an excuse for anything racist or homophobic or discriminatory, the environment one is brought up in does shape your thought processes.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
JenSeven said:

Unbelievable.
Without meaning to go off topic here, you're essentially saying:

"Here is a man with an unpopular opinion, as I find is opinion morally reprehensible, he should not be allowed to express it in the public eye."

Not how "free speech" works I'm afraid. He rather clumsily made a suggestion about the state of marriage, saying nothing particularly offensive. I understand the desire for equality and why people strive to achieve that, but be careful you aren't encroaching on the liberties of others while demanding your own.
I don't think you understand what free speech means.

It has to do with whether or not the government can censor you or punish you for things that you say. It has nothing to do with whether or not people decide to hire you. For instance, say that someone vocally supports book burnings and getting rid of all forms of education. The government can't send them to jail, but the local grocery store can refuse to hire that person on the grounds of not wanting to be associated with that kind of viewpoint.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
Tismo said:
Why don't they just cast Topher Grace as Lex?
Because he's already ruined a comic book character.

Anyway, Eisenberg is too young and not nearly authoritative enough to be Lex. Why not just bring Michael Rosenbaum back (he kinda has experience with it).

On the flip, Jeremy Irons is a brilliant choice. That man is brilliant (or brilliantly hammy) in every role he's in.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
JenSeven said:

Unbelievable.
I looks like you are making a big thing out of nothing. Also considering the fact that there are still people like Sean Pen-the guy beat Madonna with a baseball bat- being hired, Jeremy Irons hardly seems like someone to be shunned.