Jesse Eisenberg Cast as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred in Man of Steel Sequel

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
That's Eisenberg bald.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q71/1499684_591252570957199_1097914127_n.jpg
I have no idea how to post this as a image.

This looks less weird than I expected.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Some Reactions:

Is Jeremy Irons a good actor? I can't not see him in his Dungeons and Dragons role. Or his Die Hard 3 role. Can he do subtle?

You know who can do subtle? Anthony Stewart Head. And he's also British. BRITISH!

Curly-haired zombie-rules kid? That's your Lex Luthor? Man, somebody really loved The Social Network.

Why are they trying to match Superman and Lex Luthor in age? I always pictured Lex as much older than Superman. Part of their conflict is Lex's savvy and experience versus Superman's more youthful optimism and positivity.

I tried to imagine Jesse Eisenberg bald and sticking out of a Superfriends-style power suit and just ended up laughing my head off.

Man, Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane from Iron Man would make a great Lex Luthor.

I think Zack Snyder is trying too hard to make his mark on the history of Superman.

--Morology!

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Ruisu said:
That's Eisenberg bald.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q71/1499684_591252570957199_1097914127_n.jpg

Goes to show how much hair adds to your look; I'd never believe that was him. Hell, are you sure it is him?

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Ruisu said:
That's Eisenberg bald.

Holy shit, at first I thought that was Charlie Hunnam. If he looks like that bald he can certainly look pretty intimidating.

I will admit, I've never read any Superman comics. Maybe some really old ones when I was a kid, but I can't even remember them. I've watched the latest movie (which was pretty good) and maybe one of the old ones with Christopher Reeves, also seen a bunch of episodes of Smallville (which I've enjoyed). So, with my limited knowledge of the Superman universe...

I think Jesse Eisenberg could work. Someone (probably on the Escapist) once described him as a genius, probably the smartest man in the world, and a brilliant and ruthless business man that hates Superman because no matter how much he tries, he can never become more powerful than him. Despite his intelligence, he will never be number one, 'cause Superman is the strongest man on earth. And I can definitely see Jesse Eisenberg playing that character. Intelligent, ruthless, bitter that he can never outshine Superman.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Jesse Eisenberg? The wiener opposite Woody Harrelson from Zombieland?

I can understand WB/DC Comics going into a different area with Lex Luthor but you have to make the villain intimidating. Jesse Eisenberg doesn't come off as intimidating.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred is OK, I guess. But we need to inform our actors and celebrities to keep their traps shut when they have no relevance or even a serious thought on a hot button topic.

You disappoint us, DC/WB. You disappoint us very much.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Goes to show how much hair adds to your look; I'd never believe that was him. Hell, are you sure it is him?
Trucken said:
Holy shit, at first I thought that was Charlie Hunnam. If he looks like that bald he can certainly look pretty intimidating.

I will admit, I've never read any Superman comics. Maybe some really old ones when I was a kid, but I can't even remember them. I've watched the latest movie (which was pretty good) and maybe one of the old ones with Christopher Reeves, also seen a bunch of episodes of Smallville (which I've enjoyed). So, with my limited knowledge of the Superman universe...

I think Jesse Eisenberg could work. Someone (probably on the Escapist) once described him as a genius, probably the smartest man in the world, and a brilliant and ruthless business man that hates Superman because no matter how much he tries, he can never become more powerful than him. Despite his intelligence, he will never be number one, 'cause Superman is the strongest man on earth. And I can definitely see Jesse Eisenberg playing that character. Intelligent, ruthless, bitter that he can never outshine Superman.
Btw, I do believe that picture I posted is photoshop, but still, michael rosenbaum managed to pull it off.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Ace Morologist said:
Some Reactions:

Is Jeremy Irons a good actor? I can't not see him in his Dungeons and Dragons role. Or his Die Hard 3 role. Can he do subtle?
Actually while that performance is pure scene chewing ham and cheese, he actually is considered a good, maybe even great actor and has done subtle roles, even doing audio classic novels which doesn't get more low key.

How Snyder will use him though? I can see the worry there with him led by Mr. SPARTAAAAAA!

Still, even as a smaller supporting role this piece of casting is the only to make some degree of sense so far as Eisenberg will more than likely just play Zuckerberg with a military contract. New take? Sure but not a good one if that's what they go with.

Ace Morologist said:
You know who can do subtle? Anthony Stewart Head. And he's also British. BRITISH!
You who is also British? Jeremy Irons.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well this is...Interesting :') to say the least

I wonder what WB and DC have up there sleeve, they seem to be mixing up there characters a little, portraying them differently, it's the only reason they would hire Jesse, and now that i think back, Affleck as well.

Suppose Superman was shed in new light in Man Of Steel...ish. not completely but different from the other films about him.

Shoudl be interesting to see how this pans out...Next up Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Joker :')

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Kumagawa Misogi said:
JenSeven said:
Yes, Irons should get more attention.

He's a homophobic halfwit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

Seriously, watch the video.

That really is a man we should have in the media.
I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.

God forbid someone has a different opinion than you!

He's an old UK citizen who until he was 19 homosexuality was illegal so just like many people who grew up with it as a crime they don't change easy if at all.
So essentially what you're doing is having a go for someone having a diffrent opinion to you? (The thing you're criticising)

Did make me laugh when I watched it, if someone said that to me seriously in a conversation I wouldn't be able to stop myself laughing at them.

Ot: I liked eisenberg in zombieland, but not seen anything else with him in it. Let's hope he can keep is neck unsnaped until the end. ;)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Vivi22 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I can't wait to not see this movie. The casting director should be fired. I like each person listed here individually, but they just aren't meant for the roles they are being cast in. I can't picture it. And won't. Burn in hell, this movie. Burn eternally.
Every time someone says something like this I think back to the reactions people had about Heath Ledger as the Joker, Michael Keaton as Batman (I hated Burton's Batman films, but Keaton was definitely a highlight of them and played the role well with what he was given to work with) and I grin smuggly as I remember that most people who ***** about casting before the movie is even out tend to be wrong and get worked up over nothing.
People ***** about anyone playing a superhero/villain xD its pretty funny to see someone say "OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS [insert nerd rage here] only for when the film is released, seeing them say that the actor played the role perfectly xD

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Well, this movie is shaping up to be interesting. Which is a shame considering we only know who the primary actors are and literally almost nothing else.

The interest comes from half the proposed cast being utterly talentless as actors, in a high profile sequel.

Man of Steel for me wasn't particularly bad or terribly good either. It was solid enough, and well acted at least.

Ben Affleck is a good director, at least people keep telling us this. I haven't seen any of his films, but I have seen many of his acting performances and they were fucking horrid.

Daredevil, Dogma, and pretty much every movie he was ever in prior to like 4 years ago has been bad. At least they make for entertaining Cinemasins videos.

Eisenberg could surprise us all though. It would certainly surprise me to see him perform in ANY way that deviates from his actual manner. He is exactly the same smug dbag in every role I've seen of his as he is in every interview I've seen on late night shows.

I didn't see the Facebook movie, because psuedo biographical stroke pieces don't interest me (like "Jobs") but I have seen "Now you see me" and it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen that seemed to actually take itself seriously.

He was in Zombieland too right? I certainly don't remember him, because even the little girl brought more to the movie than he did.

I am indifferent to who plays Alfred, and honestly to comic book movies in general. Irons at least is a great actor, though I think the last film of his I saw was "The Man in the Iron Mask" so I'm kinda surprised he is still alive to be honest.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I don't really have a problem with Eisenberg as Lex, after seeing him The Social Network he showed he could play an immoral character who thinks he's better than anyone else and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Also I think it is interesting to see a possibly younger Lex with how so many younger people are ranking with the world's richest for their creations that were only possible in the new online world that they grew up in and internalized.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
JenSeven said:
Yes, Irons should get more attention.

He's a homophobic halfwit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

Seriously, watch the video.

That really is a man we should have in the media.
I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.
I love how anyone who is against homosexual marriage is automatically a horrible person.

Let him have his opinion. It shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not he gets attention from the media.

Don't act so high and mighty.

Apr 17, 2009
Ace Morologist said:
Some Reactions:

You know Jeremy Irons is British too, right? His other roles include Scar from Lion King-oh, wait, you wanted subtle didn't you? Er, hang on...Henry IV in The Hollow Crown [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollow_Crown_(TV_series)]! He was fantastic in that.

As for Eisenberg, I can see him as Luthor. A sort of hyper whizzkid Luthor like he was in the Superboy comics.
Also, you guys saying he's too young, you should probably know he's about 30. Sounds about right to me, how old were you expecting?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I will say what I have kept saying, judgement of the casting choices mean nothing until we at the very least see a trailer, then we have a small something to go on.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
I think Eisenberg is a good choice. Go and watch him in Now You See Me and that Facebook flick. He has a quirky superior intelligence about him, that's kind of perfect for a young Lex. I expect across the films DC might decide to age them, who knows. Whatever they do, it'll be interesting to see the trifecta of Lex and Wayne, as much as Batman and Superman, butting heads and personalities.

Jeremy Irons is a cool choice for Alfred too. He's a talented actor with excellent presence. This is a big role for him and I expect he'll be great in it.

Some might say this is DC playing catch up, but who cares. We all just wanna see a good entertaining film, putting comic picky stuff aside.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
BlameTheWizards said:
"What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman," said movie director Zack Snyder in a Warner Bros. Pictures press release. "Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions."
Source: <a href=http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140131005753/en#.Uuvk2BBdUmg>BusinessWire
Yeah, that makes sense, but I'm still going to chuckle every time his nerdy, slightly squeaky voice says something intimidating. Along with Ben Affleck as Batman, this might turn out to be a "guilty pleasure" movie like those lauded on Jim Sterling's Movie Defense Force. That would certainly be a great change of pace from "gritty-sounding, tough-guy heroes versus psychotic, philosophical leaders."