Jesse Eisenberg Cast as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred in Man of Steel Sequel

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Ace Morologist said:
Some Reactions:

Is Jeremy Irons a good actor? I can't not see him in his Dungeons and Dragons role. Or his Die Hard 3 role. Can he do subtle?

You know who can do subtle? Anthony Stewart Head. And he's also British. BRITISH!

Curly-haired zombie-rules kid? That's your Lex Luthor? Man, somebody really loved The Social Network.

Why are they trying to match Superman and Lex Luthor in age? I always pictured Lex as much older than Superman. Part of their conflict is Lex's savvy and experience versus Superman's more youthful optimism and positivity.

I tried to imagine Jesse Eisenberg bald and sticking out of a Superfriends-style power suit and just ended up laughing my head off.

Man, Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane from Iron Man would make a great Lex Luthor.

I think Zack Snyder is trying too hard to make his mark on the history of Superman.

--Morology!

Irons actually has a brilliant string of performances behind him.

Go watch everything else he's ever done first, maybe?

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Guys, I know Jeremy Irons is British.

Also, his being British is the only thing that matters for this movie. That's the joke. I mean, Alfred is a bit player supporting character -TO- a supporting character in this sequel to a movie about ANOTHER character altogether. Why they would go with someone as recognizable as Jeremy Irons in the first place is kind of baffling to me.

Then again, a lot of the casting choices in this movie have been pretty baffling. It's one thing to say that a good actor can do a good job no matter how unlikely a choice he would seem to be for a role. But wouldn't it make more sense to pick good actors for the job who'd at least be less likely to send fans into a tizzy? I'm no casting director, but that's what I'd do if I were one.

Maybe that's why I'm not one. I don't know. All I do know is that Anthony Stewart Head and Jeremy Irons are both British and that both are wasted as Alfred.

--Morology!

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Sorry but having both Superman and Lex Luthor 20 years younger than Batman just sits wrong with me.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Only see one way I see this work.

Luthor is a very young brilliant billionaire with views of making the world a better place. Problem is, he sees Superman as a threat and something that will lead to chaos and misery for the human race. He's 100% convinced that Superman is bad news since the events of the last movie. He will try anything to make Superman go away. However, he'll probably take a few steps too far and become the over-obsessive Luthor I remember.

Possible story plots that would be created from this.

A. Luthor gives false clues to Batman leading the latter to believe Superman is doing some things wrong. We get our VS movie.
B. He tries to recreate some mumbo-jumbo thingy to destroy Superman's power. Thing-thingy can "sort of" destroy the world. Heroes combine forces and saves world. We lay foundation for the Justice League movie.

Or they can just fuck it up with a "Ha ha Look at me! I'm the villain".

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Can we have Silver Age Lex Luthor origin? You know, the one where he hates Superman because he inadvertently made him go bald?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, this could be really interesting. Eisenberg has played a lot of nearly evil geniuses so it may be time to go full-evil.

Or, this could be terrible. I'm actually interesting. It's not like it actually matters if Luthor is a strong man. It's not like the strongest human could hurt superman anyways. It was only with a powersuit that it ever made the odds better and it's also not like Luthor's strength really contributed. I could see Eisenberg getting the upper hand and attacking like a while crazy guy while superman is kryptonited (new verb?).

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
Wait, seriously? Why? Jesse Eisenberg... I don't see it. Then again, I would have said the same thing about Michael Rosenbaum before seeing Smallville.

Given that there is at least a precedent (as far as I am concerned anyway) that awkward-seeming casting can turn out well sometimes, I'll not take this news too badly just yet... But Luthor is one of my favorite villains from the DC universe, so I hope this movie's iteration of him is good.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred sounds brilliant.
Michael Rosenbaum is the only reason I had for watching more than a couple of episodes of that pretty awful show. Lionel was pretty awesome too, but hot damn...Mr. Rosenbaum is the best luthor ever, and was in an extremely interesting place as a sort of big brother for a while for Clark. It was a very interesting dynamic.

OT: Irons as Alfred will probably be the best cast decision in the entire movie. And maybe the only good one...

I havent seen Jesse in anything but Zombieland...but he strikes me as more the awkward kid, more akin to that Kickass guy Aaron Taylor-Johnson, than anything remotely charismatic and awesome like Lex. He's probably too young as well. Luthor needs a bit of maturity about him imo.

Henry Cavill was pretty meh in MoS (but he didn't get a lot to work with). He was too dark and didn't inspire at all. I liked Brandon Routh a lot better. That Gal Gadot might have the face for Wonder Woman...but honestly. Its Wonder WOMAN. Not Wonder I-look-like-a-17-year-old. Actors nowadays are WAY too skinny. Wonder Woman needs to have a real woman's body, like Scarlett Johansson or something. Curvy, and fit. I haven't seen Gal in anything, and it seems she's not exactly well known either. And this cast doesn't exactly make me hopeful she'll be anything but window dressing, which is extremely sad.

I honestly cant see how they are going to pull this movie off, and I was furious at how Man of Steel ended up...but...since I'm an absolute sucker for anything super-hero...I'll go to the movies anyway :|