Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: To Kill a Microsoft-bird

Nilles

Jan 18, 2004
Great show, Jim and Yahtzee.

One thing though: If you opt to have background rythm, please follow it. The drums do not make sense if they don't fit the rythm of your speech. Or vice versa.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I enjoyed both of those, good job.
Yahtzee more for what it meant and the ironic ending
Jim for how it sounded and clever metaphor

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seriously, whoever came up with the idea for this series of videos deserves a fucking medal. As an English major, I've heard my fair share of poetry, and these two guys write the best material I've heard in a good long while.

Might be my bias as a gamer and they write poetry about games, but still, it's fan-frickin'-tastic.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
Jim the extents you go to for those last line puns is amazing, great ballad.

Yahtzee seems to be experimenting with some complex rhyming schemes this week, quite impressive but hard to do with a pirate voice. Now I am left wondering how buoyant diamonds are, and how long its going to be before Sony does something stupid enough to mess up all the good grace they've earned so far.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Very nice.

Yahtzee's was a bit difficult to keep up with, the rhyme pattern isn't apparent.

Jim's poem/ballad was really neat, but could be made better with some quiet background music.

The horse is dead, no harm done in beating it some more. And if we get some entertainment out of it, even better.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
Chessrook44 said:
Jim won, primarily because Yahtzee was disqualified for not making a poem. His was just a story. Seriously, where was the rhyming, the pattern, anything? YAHTZEE FAILED THIS WEEK.
You do realize that a poem does not need to rhyme right? A haiku does not require rhyming yet it is considered poetic.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Holy shit that was good, Jim Sterling everyone! Seriously both Jim and Yahtzee are master wordsmiths but damn Jim knocked it out of the pack this time.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
That was awesome as always. Jim's tale felt a bit more grounded, which is why I thought it was better. Yahtzee's was too much on the side of metaphor.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Pirates, gold, diamonds and dragons!?! How the f@&k can you top that!?! Well done.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Jim, you should sing more often. This was your best episode yet.

Yahtzee, once again, the truth will out. As long as you phrase it in a tortured metaphor (and I checked the Geneva Convention; you're good.)

greyscarf

Sep 24, 2012
Fun with pirate speak & flow'ry ballads! Thanks guys, this made me smile after my long workday.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Reminds me of the "Dragons Are Assholes" song.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619064
WATCH
IS PRETTY FUNNY I THINK
And somewhat relevant.
Yahtzee usually wins imo, but this one goes to Jim.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Seriously, you know Microsoft has screwed up hardcore when people are singing the praises (literally, in this case) of an emotionless jackass who spends 99% of his publicly seen time rattling off boring sales statistics in a horribly monotone voice, telling people that it's cool to pirate PS3 games, and directly insults part of his company's customer base if they happen to also enjoy Nintendo DS and its massive library of fantastic games [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-08-sony-boss-ds-is-a-babysitting-tool].

Don't get me wrong, that 3 minutes of the Sony conference where he just slammed Microsoft again and again and again was hilarious, but this is the kind of shit Jack Tretton always does. It was only funny this time because he was slamming Microsoft for doing something insanely stupid rather than slamming me and many other PlayStation fans for something quite reasonable like enjoying a Nintendo DS.

Besides, as you may recall if you were paying attention to gaming news, Sony already confirmed before E3 that there were no used game restrictions and no always-online requirement anyway. Jack wasn't announcing anything, he was just repeating what we already knew. So I honestly can't give him credit for doing anything than making me laugh at a company I was already laughing at.

This makes me laugh too:
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-the-idea-of-ownership-is-morphing-6409910/
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-xbox-one-will-be-leading-product-people-love-and-embrace-6409895/
But I don't suddenly like Don Mattrick or Phil Spencer because of it.

I still hate Jack Tretton and want to punch him in the face whenever I have to see or hear him is what I'm saying here.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
V TheSystem V said:
However, if Microsoft use force to enslave us all, Jim may get his tongue cut out.
I just had a flashback from Game of Thrones were Joffrey had that minstrels tounge ripped out with hot pincers.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I'm not sure Sony deserves that much credit. The PS4 looks like a reasonably serviceable console and no more evil than my current Xbox 360 (for the same reasons). What it isn't, however, is any less evil. Online play still requires monthly payments (however justified) and rainbows and candy don't shoot out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy a PS4, if only for Final Fantasy XV and Tales of Whatever but it's not a magical dragon slayer, just a smaller, more reasonable dragon.