Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Whine Out Of Ten

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Whine Out Of Ten

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jim, I don't blame you one bit for that. The reactions of gamers to review scores is enough to make one want to put one's head through a wall.

Loved Yahtzee's poem though, Lundonarrative Dissonance indeed.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee gets goofy; Jim gets straight to the point. Love it!

Am I the only one who wants to see them do this live at the Expo?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
To both of our Ryhmedown masters, I offer this times infinity...

Bravo, Yahtzee. Makes me wish there were captions for your poem along with a bouncing ball during the zanier moments.

And Kudos to you, Jim Sterling, for your verbal F-U to the mental midgets that want a perfect score or review for their favorite games and movies and have a temper tantrum when they don't get their way.

Jan 12, 2012
I think Jim needs to do Rhymedowns outside again. When he's all balled up in that little room, all the rage and weirdness stews and explodes. Not saying it wasn't deserved, I'm just worried his head will explode.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Yahtzee's was the most well written today because he even structured the poem to reflect the dissonance.

I didn't get the punchline of Jim's though... *head scratch*

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I have to say, the problem is not reviews or whining fans, it's that the the scoring system doesn't work. What is the difference between a 8.0 and a 9.0? No really, that is a legitimate question. The problem is that an "average" isn't a 5.0, but somewhere between 7.0-8.0. But, Sterling, have you ever thought you might try another ranking system? Maybe let "technical perfect" or close to technical perfect" just be a 5.0,and letting the rest be on artistic merit (narrative and aesthetic design).

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Was in tears laughing at Yahtzee's poem :D

I just want to hug Jim, pat him on the head and whisper platitudes that it'll all get better :(

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Yahtzee, that was brilliant and hilarious.

Jim, if it's any consolation, there are those among us who don't care about number ratings. We decide what games we like based on gameplay elements and don't get our nuts in a knot over new releases. And we're sickened by those entitled brats just as much as you are.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Goliath100 said:
I have to say, the problem is not reviews or whining fans, it's that the the scoring system doesn't work. What is the difference between a 8.0 and a 9.0? No really, that is a legitimate question. The problem is that an "average" isn't a 5.0, but somewhere between 7.0-8.0. But, Sterling, have you ever thought you might try another ranking system? Maybe let "technical perfect" or close to technical perfect" just be a 5.0,and letting the rest be on artistic merit (narrative and aesthetic design).
Personally, I find Yahtzee's method of reviewing to be the most informative: Avoid numbers and ranks and stick to summarizing the central gameplay elements, the mood, the difficulty curve, and the writing (if applicable).

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
templar1138a said:
Personally, I find Yahtzee's method of reviewing to be the most informative: Avoid numbers and ranks and stick to summarizing the central gameplay elements, the mood, the difficulty curve, and the writing (if applicable).
Not having score is the optimal solution, but is that realistic? There is no way everyone would drop the score, and as humans, we like to organize things.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Goliath100 said:
Not having score is the optimal solution, but is that realistic? There is no way everyone would drop the score, and as humans, we like to organize things.
Hey, I didn't say it was realistic. I just said I liked it. After all, I'm not a hype-prone fanboy who buys games at release (in fact, I rarely go above fifteen bucks).

Also, Yahtzee doesn't use a rating system because he's a critic, not a reviewer. We need more game critics.

Kal'Shen Ra

Apr 13, 2009
To both poets... Bravo. Jim informed me last week that there was such a thing as "Lundonarrative Dissonance" and Yahtzee demonstrated it for those that were still scratching their heads. Good, very good.

And again I'm surprised too find out about another "controversy" in the gaming world from Jim. His reaction is normal. The amount of sewage I find in comments sections, when I do venture in those woods, is astonishing. Most of those that spew it will grow up, in time. I did. I think.

And, Goliath. This subject has been debated for years. No good solution has been found yet, aside from the obvious one. For various reasons. At first it was probably a easy way to grade something, like in school. It was and is very subjective, just like in school. Now, it's something that too many institutions depend on. For now, at least.

By your system, Call off Duty(choose one) would get a 5.5 or 6. And we know from school that a grade of 5 or 6 is very bad. Right? Cam, from another gaming site, presented some of the reasons why gamers, and people in general, react like this when something they like is not praised, in their view, as it should be.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
templar1138a said:
Hey, I didn't say it was realistic. I just said I liked it. After all, I'm not a hype-prone fanboy who buys games at release (in fact, I rarely go above fifteen bucks).

Also, Yahtzee doesn't use a rating system because he's a critic, not a reviewer. We need more game critics.
There is not a single thing you have said here I disagree with, but while Yahtzee may be a critic, Jimmy is not. He is a reviewer and reviewers uses scores. And it's on bloody time someone did a overhaul to the scoring system.

Aug 1, 2010
Yahtzee, brilliant as usual. I'm amazed at how you manage to keep finding a fresh twist.

Jim, I usually like your section but..... eh.

Look, I know the whining about scores is silly. I know it, you know and this dog knows it.

It's a topic you've dedicated an entire episode of your show to. Is anyone honestly surprised people aren't happy with the GTA V scores? Really?

Also, I find it isn't so much a matter of "9 isn't good enough because a 9 is bad" it's usually more "All these other games got a 9 and this game is clearly better."
The bitching is still pretty silly since review scores really don't matter all that much, but it isn't as simple as "A 9 is great and you're dumb for not accepting that."