Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Congrats Gearbox, you bombed it. First Duke Nukem Forever and now this, just stick to what you're good at, making your own IPs.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Reminds me of the exact same thing they did with Halo 2. While the game was fun, those tech demos were criminal in portrayal, compared to the end product.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
tzimize said:
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit.
Make a ticket with Steam requesting a refund. They've done them in the past, can't guarantee you'll get it this time though, but very much worth a shot. Include some decent reasoning too, it's not like they haven't made plenty of fuck-ups you can cite.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Wow, am I ever happy I didn?t see that footage before now. I might have actually been hyped for this game. It's actually really heart breaking to look at this and then think back to the actual gameplay footage I have seen. Just, wow.

Jeez, it's going to take one hell of a quality streak in product before I can really trust Randy and Gearbox again... And that hurts because I liked them....

Prosis

May 5, 2011
This is worrisome. Everybody knows that trailers don't indicate what the game will be like when it comes out.

But now, pre-release gameplay doesn't indicate what the game will be like.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
It's just staggering the audacity Gearbox had to pull this bullshit. They make an awesome looking demo... and then completely disregard everything they put into the awesome looking demo and made a shitty game. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that WAS just prerendered bullshit because otherwise I'd have to swallow that Gearbox just threw away perfectly good gameplay and replaced it with complete shit for absolutely no reason. Which makes the demo a total scam, intentionally trying to pass off a prerendered CG movie as gameplay to falsely advertise a shitty product.

In one masterstroke, Gearbox have managed to throw away EVERY scrap of respect I had for them, earned from Half Life: Opposing Force, Borderlands and even having the courage to TRY and save Duke Nukem Forever (even if that failed horribly). To just have the NERVE to try and pull this garbage is just outright sleazy.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
tzimize said:
If the multiplayer was anywhere near the AVP from 1999 I would buy it only for that, fuck single player.
That or AVP2 would be fine with me. I'd absolutely get it just for multiplayer like that, and I hardly play competitive FPSes anymore. I have fond lanparty memories of different races as separate teams in separate rooms with open doors between them, so you could talk quietly to the people next to you and then yell at the people across the hall when you ate their face off after hiding above a doorway they didn't bother checking on their way through. I wasn't actually good at the games, but they were just so much fun to be mediocre at. Heh.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Ukomba said:
It's like they released an Alpha build of the game on accident, wtf. :p
That would at least explain the inconsistencies. Maybe, if you bought the game, you'll get the actual game by mail or something.

OT: I am a huge Alien fan and fan of Colonial Marines (the group not the game). I preordered because of that 10 minute demo thinking "If this is the Demo, then the full game will be awesome." I preordered the collector's edition, paid in full, and patiently waited for the game to be released. Sadly, like so many things, it failed to live up to even the smallest of expectations. The story is horrible (even if it was fan fiction), the visuals are extremely low quality, the animations (I'm an animator, so this is a big one for me) wouldn't have passed in my Advanced class, the characters are boring and unlikable, and ...

you fight Wayland-Yutani mercs instead of the aliens

I am very disappointed with Gearbox on this one. I will never preorder a game ever again.

emissary666

May 6, 2009
Well, this has put a dent in my enjoyment of the game. I bought it this morning and just finished my however many hours long session. If you don't have any expectations going into the game other than, "This is a game about the United States Colonial Marines", then it is actually a relatively enjoyable game; this is ruined by having a demo which, admittedly, looks way better than the game and now makes what was a passible game into a slightly disappointing experience.
Also, to be fair, somethings in the trailer that weren't in the game aren't necessarily too surprising. The weapons table is clearly meant to present the player with a pretty display of the weapons and the third-person turret placement just seems out of place for a game that is otherwise entirely first person. Too bad the graphics and AI don't match the trailer.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
This is nuts. Gearbox will have to address this in the coming weeks with the amount of bad press this is getting. I feel sorry for people who pre-ordered and something of good will should at least be extended to them. Honestly, this is one of the worst bait-and-switch jobs I've seen in awhile.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Is it possible for he pc version to mod out alot of the issues with this game or is it not mod friendly enough?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So does the obvious lie about the product count as false advertizing? Customers should be able to get their money back. No other industry would allow "Hey, buy this awesome looking product!... JUST KIDDNG LOL NO REFUNDS!"

It's deliberately misleading the customer.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Nurb said:
So does the obvious lie about the product count as false advertizing? Customers should be able to get their money back. No other industry would allow "Hey, buy this awesome looking product!... JUST KIDDNG LOL NO REFUNDS!"

It's deliberately misleading the customer.
Unfortunately, the disclaimer that stuff in demos on youtube may not being necessarily representative of the final product shields developers from being sued for false advertising in cases like this, as far as I'm aware. It isn't necessarily bad, because things do end up changing between beta and release, but the sheer amount of stuff in this video that didn't make it into the final product is just mind-boggling.

Unfortunately, in situations like this, the only way to punish the developers for releasing a broken game is simply not to buy products from them in the future until they shape up.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I remember seeing this and being so psyched for the game that I preordered it. The more I saw, although it didn't live up to the atmosphere of this demo, still appealed to me.

I actually even looked forward to the whole over the top badass thing, I really thought that would add to the game and give the marines more character, but no. So disappointed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I actually thought that demo looked awesome. Shame they didn't actually do all that work in the finished product.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Wow. I'd never seen this demo before, so reading all the Aliens reviews was just gleeful "Hehehe what a terrible game" enjoyment. But seeing this... now I'm sad. The game that this demo pretends to be would have been amazing.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
You keep saying that the AI was good in the demo, but all I say were aliens running head-long into gun fire 99% of the time. I realize that a flanking AI wouldn't work in the confined spaces of the latter half of the demo, but that would create an interesting juxaposition: you finally think you have the upper hand with a turret and a narrow hallway, then you get flanked again. It would have been great.
Even the wolves in Skyrim have flanking in their path finding, and that's a TES game.