Jimquisition: Accountability

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
I wish games would just go back to the DRM=CDKey system. So much simpler. DRM is only stopping the people who own the game from playing, not people who pirate. Maybe its time the company looked at a rewards system where, if you buy the game, and register it, then you get free DLC/Expansionist.

And by register, I am thinking along the lines of how Egosoft do it for the X games. Just go to the forums, go to your profile, and put the key in, hit confirm, and your done. Free stuff for you. XD

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Good points made, as usual. I think the Jimquisition has become my favourite series on the site. I know a lot of people don't seem to understand he's constantly taking the piss, but I think his presentation is brilliant. There's just one thing bothering me after this particular episode: I want that bloody fridge magnet.

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Fucking hell. He's right. Event the Escapist wants our FB accounts and has a publishers club. Christ.

Liking these more and more. Thanks Jim.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
So uhhhh.... How can I join this Jim+ service?
But yeah, that aside, I really hate how many log on accounts I have to play games. It's ridiculous, and will only get worse.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Valid criticisms sure, but really...I don't think that games are the focal point of this problem. Relentlessly re-enforcing customer loyalty? How about Apple? How about for videos, where I sign into Netflix, Hulu and Youtube, and have the option to buy things from Amazon, Apple, Android and who knows what else? Games seem like such a serious offender because the average gamer is going to be getting products for multiple platforms, and multiple developers.

The majority of this complaint seems to be mainly because of healthy competition. Every once in a while you hear a conversation where people are terrified by the possibility of Steam monopolizing digital distribution, or one of the consoles becoming the only console out there, and that stifling the need for innovation. Well if you want competition, and you want the kind of bare minimum of anti-stealing mechanisms in place that don't inconvenience the consumer but make it physically possible for a business to function (Things like a CD code, a disc check, or other mechanisms where a person who wants to pirate the game has to at least go someplace online and download something) there is going to be a lot of signing in in places.

Lastly, these techniques...work. Why does the local grocery store have a loyalty card that lets you access certain sales, even though the card itself is completely free? Well the card in your wallet makes you associate shopping with that store. Its a small pain, but it makes people a tad more loyal. And that kind of loyalty is very easy to do i n something like video games. The more digital other things become, the more you will see it there as well. Personally, my only real complaint is when the redundancy is actually inconvenient. I have no problem signing into Steam, but I shudder at the thought of GFWL because it has rendered games of mine unplayable for hours. With any luck, all those sign ins will slowly consolidate into a reasonable number.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Holy shit, Jim actually has a really well-thought-out and well-delivered point.

I've occasionally watched Jimquisition when Yahtzee doesn't provide enough bile for the week, but this was actually really interesting.

Go Jim!

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I must admit, like mold between the fat rolls of a morbidly obese man with poor bathing habits, he's beginning to grow on me.

His first couple videos made me grind my teeth. Now I can't tell if he's changing his persona or if I'm just beginning to enjoy it more since it's become obvious that he isn't nearly as much of a self-important arrogant prick as he presents himself in his videos.

EDIT: sweet, 200th post! ...only took me a few years.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Will only sign up to Jimquisition Plus if it comes with a wallpaper of Mr. Sterling naked on a couch.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I loved how you used a picture of the Glukkons from Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus to represent the publishers. Good vid Jim. You just get better and better.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Really starting to like this bloke, although couldn't help but notice there was no mention of the The Escapist's Publisher's Club.

Afraid to bite the hand that feeds, Jim?