Jimquisition: Batman Is Everything Wrong With Square Enix

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
It seems like Jim has maybe forgotten that Square Enix made Bravely Default much more recently than FFXIII (and declared it a major success, at that). Also that XIII-2 fixed at least the part of XIII's writing that he was complaining about. I mean, this is just about 100% accurate up to around a year ago, but I think this topic might be slightly less "evergreen" than Jim believes. The video really feels like it was displaced in time. Also, it felt like he was really playing for time on both this week's and last week's episode. Hyperbole is one thing, but padding just isn't entertaining.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
We cant remember anything about it because you need three tons of cocaine to understand the convoluted nonsensical "plot" of the usual nowadays final fantasy game.

Squeenix i know you really like convoluted plots ever since FF7 but that game was cherished by people because it had rememberable characters (kept for you Yuffi... no one likes you), not so much because of the plot. The gameplay was fun, the characters where fun, the story? Eh mediocre...

Nowadays thought their characters arent characters.. they are either emo, braindead dudebros or whiny little kids used to show us the newest fashion accidents from the drug addled minds of Squeenix design team. I mean who wears crap like what your usual FF main character nowadays works for combat?

Heck space marine armor makes more sense! SPACE MARINE ARMOR!

You make Warhammer armor look sensible and functional... thats how far you have come.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zippers and belts and pouches and angles and shit...
Jim you magnificent bastard, this is one of your funniest videos ever! You perfectly captured what I find so off-putting about the Final Fantasy series, and JRPG's in general. What you described reminds me of how Yahtzee described the design of War from Darksiders (or whatever that game was called where you play a surprisingly dull Horseman of the Apocalypse who stole most of his moves from Kratos and Link) "He looks like somebody sat dow, started drawing, and never fucking stopped!" The designers at Squenix probably crap out the nonsensical plots they do because they waste too much time on making everything "look pretty with bright shiny colors". Thing is, they don't have to go down that road. Squenix either published or developed Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and poked fun at themselves with posters for the future game "Final Fantasy XXVII") and that game had more believable outfit designs and characters with personality.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Ipsen said:
Only caveat to that is the fact that it WAS relatively unique back then. Sure, it's all relative; we STILL seem (or at least these corporations seem) to have a perpetual desire for better visual flourish, but, by virtue of being a younger medium, at least it wasn't crammed down our throats so far back then.
I really don't understand the point you're trying to make. Why should it matter that gaming was "a younger medium" back then?
For better (developers honestly attempting to improving the medium back then) or worse (our ignorance of what that would bring about), the demand for graphics have lead us to where we are today; a medium that still struggles with one of it's major demands of story/meaning, while having no issue or qualm constantly scaling up graphical quality. Square Enix microcosms the AAA industry by neglecting something key in what (they think) is forward.

And don't get me wrong, I like that games look better, and it's definitely a boon in games. But it's an old, boring boon. It's to the point now that (while still positive), I have little care for good graphics now, and virtually null concern for how graphics will be in the future.

I care about other things in games that resonate with me (and others); story, mechanics, art design, cohesion between these. This seems at odds with the Square Enix of now, AND of the Square that fufilled these for me years ago.

Theopenmindedgamer

Jun 18, 2012
What new game as Square enix done lately? I think the last one was The world ends with you back in 2008. Since then, it's been nothing but Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts games. They're milking those franchise for all that they're worth. Right now, i think they are working on 5 different Final Fantasy's which is ridiculous.

Also, NEVER FORGET All The Bravest. NEVER. FORGET.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I couldn't agree more. While I don't hate that super detailed design on a lot of things, every goddamn character doesn't have to have 9 million extra bits to make up for the fact the writing has gone to complete hell. I could never stand how they concentrated on Lightning because she is a pointless robot in those games. No personality with shit writing. And you are also correct in the story of Final Fantasy 13, it was complete shit that made no sense what so ever. It's like they were afraid it was going to end too soon, so they just piled more of the same shit on the plate, just like in their costumes.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Yes... yes, Square Enix has screwed up a LOT last gen. Probably the biggest fall from grace I've ever seen from a company. And, yeah, the whole Final Fantasy 13 saga (which was ALL the consoles really got) was one giant bag of disappointment.

... But I will throw out there that the new Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn is shockingly great and Bravely Default was a well-appreciated return to form, while Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD was appreciated, the latter two even managing to outsell Lightning Returns.

Square Enix at least is learning some lessons. Unbelievably obvious lessons that took too long to sink in and cost them millions, but they're learning.

We'll see if they can keep their priorities straight.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Hah, Thanks for that one Jim. I've been saying the same thing for years, I have always thought "Well maybe I don't understand the culture or i'm missing the point."

Nope, pretty much everything they make these days is complete nonsense.

I never know what I am looking at or what I am doing or what the characters are talking about. Final fantasy 13 is a perfect example, I waited for like 3 hours hoping maybe we would encounter a character that didn't know what was going on so the main characters would explain what all these things are and what it actually means but no.

They can't understand why the market doesn't care for RPG's so they buy up all these other IP's then a game like bravely default comes along under the radar and everyone's like, "Wow, a JRPG without stupid craziness and things that make no sense."

And Bravely default isn't even that good, it really isn't, it's only so good because it has so much less. so much less that they basically stopped making the last half of the game and just repeated the first half but you know what, people still loved it because at least it wasn't robot batman nonsense.

It's amazing how much they simply don't care about the customer, where art direction and story telling just go off the deep end as gameplay gets butchered for the sake of "Well throwing shit at the wall worked for us a few times lets just keep doing that!"

guess what, some of the shit doesn't stick. to bad no one from Square are jim fans I suppose.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
"Brevity is the soul of wit." Says Polonus, the longest-winded character in Shakespeare's longest-winded work. Be careful when quoting Shakespeare because he will turn and bite you in the ass like that frequently. Polonus is basically meant to represent how empty and meaningless those types of platitudes are.

Overall though, I do agree with the main point here, that Square has become so fat and bloated that its legs can no longer support it, figuratively speaking. This as opposed to Mr. Amano's wonderful watercolor designs that perfectly blended complexity, color and detail. Why Square stopped using him after FFVI is beyond me. Just as why Square continues in this insane desecration of Final Fantasy baffles me.

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
Jandau said:
I'm guessing that if you went on a friends picnic with Square Enix, the sandwiches would be overdesigned...
With lots of pointy bits and hair....

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
In this excellently titled episode, we look at how a Batman action figure represents everything wrong with a major videogame publisher.
Except only one thing was wrong with the actual publisher, and even that can be chalked up to "corporations exist to earn more money". The other criticisms were against some of their development teams.

Keep in mind that the publishing center of Square Enix is the part that greenlighted Sleeping Dogs, new Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Hitman Absolution. And all of those have gone on $5 or $3 sales. And they come with no extra DRM. Square Enix has also ported old Final Fantasy games to PC and mobile devices quite properly.

DragonZA

Mar 5, 2014
Karadalis said:
Heck space marine armor makes more sense! SPACE MARINE ARMOR!

You make Warhammer armor look sensible and functional... that's how far you have come.
Oh dear god you're right. And - I say this loosely - at least the space marine armour sort of makes sense and is consistent given their long history and pseudo religious militaristic doctrine.

Hmm... That sentence needs more words on it's words, it's not spiky enough.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
OtherSideofSky said:
It seems like Jim has maybe forgotten that Square Enix made Bravely Default much more recently than FFXIII (and declared it a major success, at that). Also that XIII-2 fixed at least the part of XIII's writing that he was complaining about. I mean, this is just about 100% accurate up to around a year ago, but I think this topic might be slightly less "evergreen" than Jim believes. The video really feels like it was displaced in time. Also, it felt like he was really playing for time on both this week's and last week's episode. Hyperbole is one thing, but padding just isn't entertaining.
Wasn't Bravely Default developed by a different company? I know SE was the publisher but I'm pretty sure someone else made it.

Theopenmindedgamer

Jun 18, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
Wasn't Bravely Default developed by a different company? I know SE was the publisher but I'm pretty sure someone else made it.
Indeed. The game was made by Silicon studio, not square.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
... I actually like all those weird and fuck crazy designs... >_>

I mean, i guess it's just my taste, I suppose.

Trilandian

Chronic Malcontent
Oct 3, 2011
Fantastic video. The best in recent memory, imo (and I don't even play Final Fantasy).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Less money on graphics and more money spent on a good writer for the plot and script. Also i want the fighting style more like FF7, or an updated version. Cant remember what FF8 - 10 had. Hated the fight mechanics in FF13 and FF13-2 as it didnt feel like you were fighting, just pressing the button and the console did all the work.

Simple can be better, especially in character design - because what they wear can reflect who they are. Although where FF games have failed of late is the increase in really annoying characters.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe its just me, but Square Enix's decline into heartless sell-out land began with FF7. I know its a classic to many people, but I thought it was an absolute convoluted mess of plot holes, terrible writing and hair. Its sad that compared to characters of today, Cloud is considered straight forward and simple. At the time, Cloud was a mess of angst, hair and zippers.
Not saying that awful Batman toy isn't awful and worth getting angry at, but its important to note the slide into awful began decades ago.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You can never find enough reasons to complain about Rob Liefeld.