Jimquisition: Booth Babes

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Booth Babes

The punditry of the videogame community have been chatting an awful lot about booth babes this past year or so.

Watch Video

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
The more I hear Jim's campaign pitches, the more I want to vote for him.

This needs to happen.

In relevance to the topic, instead of getting rid of Booth Babes, why not just have them wear something more professional and tone down the makeup? They keep their job and others don't have to feel uncomfortable.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Booth Baby LOL! best ending ever way to pull it back jim. (although I did think you were going to start break dancing which may have been better)

captcha: pipe dream its almost like it knows

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
These videos are starting to go on too long. Last week's and this week's seem to have Jim spend an extra 3 minutes to sum up a point he made in the first 4 minutes. That's not really a summation as much as it is watching the same video twice in a row.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Well,let's be honest some of them ARE alien...But it didn't occur to me that models could lose their job because of this,even though I still wasn't all the way in favor of removing booth babes.But in the end only they lose,but at the same time I'm sure they can show off their sexy body somewhere else.
We've got enough problems of our own as a demographic/community,we don't need extra factors causing them.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
These videos are starting to go on too long. Last week's and this week's seem to have Jim spend an extra 3 minutes to sum up a point he made in the first 4 minutes. That's not really a summation as much as it is watching the same video twice in a row.
I made one side of the argument in the first four. Hadn't even addressed the conflicting flipside yet. If you feel they're too long, that is fair enough criticism (I always try and keep them shorter than they turn out), but you must have been watching a different video. Not to mention, most videos have always been between seven and eight minutes and this one was. Previous two were closer to ten, so you really did pick the wrong vid, considering this one brought the viewing time back to average.

Let's have some standards back in our criticism.

Vote Sterling.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
We don't need to get rid of booth babes to make women more comfortable. The complaints aren't that they exist, but the way they are employed and the fashion in which they dress.

Regardless, being told to put clothes on or move locations is not dehumanising them. It's a reflection of the terrible choices made by the employers, as they're the ones setting the mandate. And honestly, these women were hired to be T&A and surrendered a good chunk of their autonomy in doing so. The superficial argument Jim makes is that there's even no evidence that they don't like it. Well, if it's safe to assume they're okay with it, they have no right to complain that they're being asked to cover up in a private expo.

Either way, pick a side: free will or "just following orders." You cannot have it both ways.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Booth Babes get hired through agencies, I'm pretty sure the gaming community hasn't heard from many of them is because they really don't care about gaming as a pastime.

It's a generalization of course. I'm sure there are attractive women out there that genuinely enjoy gaming. They'll always have a job at G4 though.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
personally, this seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I've no problem with booth babes and wouldn't really miss them if they were gone. It's kinda like the women who hold up the boards with driver numbers on them at F1 races, they're kinda just 'there'.
I only really have problem with them when they're made to do something over the top for gain attention. Only example that's stuck in my mind was when Playboy: The Mansion was at E3 and the booth babes had only painted on bikinis.
I do understand the argument that some people feel 'ugly' next to them, but that's more a self esteem issue that you need to deal with yourself. I'm hardly a prime example of a man but if I was stood next to that ultimate example of a man, Jim Sterling, I wouldn't feel any worse for myself. I'd just thank god for being next to Jim Sterling.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?m firmly anti booth babe on the basic that if they?re pretty woman willing to do that kind of job they can easily find another job.
Plus speaking as a asexual person I just hate thing like booth babes especially when connected with video games.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Booth Babes

The punditry of the videogame community have been chatting an awful lot about booth babes this past year or so.

Watch Video
Thank god someone who's not treating these ladies like some kind of plague. There people too and I intend to treat them as such. also the fact that you can still have cosplayers where the booth babes are banned is hypocritical to me.

My solution: Find a middleground. since no one is objectively right instead of causing these poor women to lose jobs. Why not just dress em up a bit and hell teach em something about the games, make them knowledgable about the product.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
I don't care, I'm just sick and tired of all these gender "issues" popping up fucking everywhere. Chill the fuck down, not everything has to be taken so goddamn seriously.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not entirely against the idea of booth babes, but I do think that if they are going to be there at least make them relevant. Don't just have sexy women standing around in bikinis, have them cosplay a character from your game and interact with expo-goers. As for the other side of the argument, with the gaming audience coming closer and closer to 50% men and 50% women, why aren't we seeing booth hunks? The gender issues would be lessened, especially if the babe/hunk was contextualized to the game they were there to help market. You get to keep your booth babes, you create a more inclusive show, and honestly who wouldn't want to get a picture of Kratos about to pummel them into giblets at one of these shows?

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Do people really have the job as "booth babes"? I honestly though they where hired models. In which case they wont be losing their "jobs" if we get rid of them, they just have to model elsewhere.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Add Booth Dudes. There, gender equality. Can we move on now?

Excludos said:
Do people really have the job as "booth babes"? I honestly though they where hired models. In which case they wont be losing their "jobs" if we get rid of them, they just have to model elsewhere.
That would imply that modeling jobs are a bottomless resource that can be tapped at will. They aren't. It's like saying that if you close half the clubs in town, the bands that relied on them for gigs can just go play elsewhere. Most models don't have steady "jobs", they need gigs kinda like musicians and actors. And just like musicians and actors, plenty go without getting any work.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Now I don't have any problems with booth babes, but I don't really care about them at all. At a computer expo earlier this year I looked at a few laptops and some new graphic cards CPUs, screens and such. I actually didn't see the booth babe presenting it because of the sexy computer stuff so they don't bother me, nor do they make any kind of impact at all.

If people are uncomfortable with them I see no problem in removing them and replacing them. In fact seeing some good speakers with a deep knowledge on what they are presenting would be a huge improvement because I will assume that most who go to these kind of things are interested in the product, not the hot girls.

Still I am neutral so I leave what we should do with this to someone who got more knowledge or more invested in this.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Calling the use of booth babes creatively lazy pretty much sums up what I think of having them around. I'm not offended or anything, but I am sort of avoiding them and the booths they are in. If the publishers think that the only way to catch my attention is with boobs then they don't think very highly of me, and I don't like to be talked down to.
I've seen some booths with cosplayers and that was awesome. It showed that they loved the world they had built. A woman in a tube top and a mini skirt with a logo shows that they didn't have a clue how to market their game.