Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
BOYCOTT!

Jim Sterling (AKA the only reason to be alive on a Monday) has come to deliver some more delicious justice from his pantry of righteousness. This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.

Watch Video

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I really liked his intro it made laugh so hard, but magikharp is badass not a boycotter who gives up.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.

xsoenx

Dec 15, 2010
i am Boycotting EA because i can´t take there overpriced and massive packs of DLC, and the Online pass, and shutting down servers, and shutting down companies after 1 bland game.
and the way i do this is that i never pay for something they made directly. so i rent or buy used there games if i wanna try them and i don´t touch there DLC anymore unless it is free

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
This episode was pretty much all awesome, all the way, and illustrates exactly why games media needs people like Jim, Yahtzee and others: commentators detached from the tribalistic bullshit and capable of ripping into what most are happy to accept.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Great show Jim. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm in the apathy camp. It seems like every forum I go to is people boycotting one thing or another. I'm to the point where I honestly don't give a shit, and if there is something that I may not agree with. I won't buy it, but because I don't want to not because of some internet boycott that generally has about as much steam behind it as a toy locomotive.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Im sorry, but Jim was wrong on the Left 4 Dead protest, the problem wasn't simply that it was released one year after, it was that it was practically the same game, and that anything else that was added could have been added as an update, and things that weren't fixed in the origional left 4 dead still have not been fixed to this day, were added when left 4 dead 2 came out. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, and if you look, it actually worked, the studio that made the game got kicked out AND they didn't make another game for valve afterwards.

RPQ

Nov 22, 2009
I love your videos Jim and in this case I just had to say thanks because 75% of the time i'm very apathetic to boycotts because the ones I hear about tend to be like the Sonic boycotts but its good to be booted out of my apathy by solid arguments and good causes so I will think harder next time there is a supposed boycott plan.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Wow, thanks Jim. I've often wondered why the community at large seems not to care about consumer rights issues. This makes a lot of sense. I did know about the people calling to boycott L4D2 or HL2:E3 because they were announced too quickly or weren't announced quickly enough. Just never considered that these issues were so intimately connected.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
is boycotting a big issue? I haven't noticed. But now I hear this and they were mentioning it on the podcast. Huh..I guess I just don't get that involved.

May 5, 2010
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
The reason why we see so much whining over trivial things is because gamers are just people at the end of the day, and people are stupid. This is why there are people who watch really TV, who are vegetarian and even people who blamed the recent UK riots on videogames.
For that reason, I don't see this problem going away this time soon, its not like we can ban stupid people off the internet. best we can do is laugh at them until we are able to detect the potential for idiocy in the fetus and mandate abortions for such fetuses by law.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Hooray, he got the insufferable "Giant Ego Persona" humor over with at the start of the episode now! That makes TWO episodes so far that have actually been somewhat enjoyable!

Heck, one more decent episode, and he might actually justify the existence of this show.