Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
DJDarque said:
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.
That's more or less the tone the show has taken ever since the first two episodes. He still begins and ends with his characteristic shit-eating grin, but he dropped a lot of needless profanity and found a more comfortable format quickly. Watch the one on the PSN outage, I almost gave a standing ovation for his first suggestion.

As for the episode: Yeah, I'm totally onboard with this one. Sonic 4 is one of those games that'll get no ends of complaints from me, but my complaints were always just that: complaints. I was never so butt-hurt over it that I was going to try and raise a collective middle finger against Sega for it, I just didn't think it was good and wasn't going to buy it. Yet when I raise this opinion even today there's a ton of people--plenty of whom didn't lay their hands on the demo, much less buy the game--who treat it like a declaration of war, all because of the pissing and moaning that over-sensitive fans raised over the most impotent and stupid of details in this relatively inconsequential game. Attitudes like this make it very difficult to raise meaningful discussion...

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
The Point with Fallout 3 fitted Perfectly into the Time when I was on a Fallout Site.

Merely 1/2 of the users where bitching, because it wasn't anymore ISO perspective, but endet up playing it anyway cause you know... it aint 1997 since a while. :p

Some of those Boycotts... Urgh.

Never had to do one actually since my tight wallet doen't let me buy stuff that I just got poked by the side of instead of buying what could be intresting.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
This was pretty damn well said.

Thanks for what has been (whether you intended it or not) a public service announcement. I'll be sure to hold onto this view of boycotting.

Thanks Jim.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, this issue was so important to Jim that he stuck all the usual stuff, even his "Thank God for me" at the beginning so he can spend the rest of the episode talking about the world "boycott". I never specifically used the world, but I do remember saying I'm not going to buy Super Smash Bros. Brawl if it only had 35 characters... Which was stupid. I do see this often, though, and I hate how people have been desensitized to it.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
My boycott of Valve until they release HL2 ep3 is still going strong thank you very much.
That's a stupid reason to boycott... you missed out on amazing games just because you didn't get the sequel to an arbitrary game?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
i am currently boycotting capcom because of the refusal to release AAI2 over here yet says theyll release any other ace attorney games that are released. what if a character from AAI2 appears in AA5? were not gonna know who they are. plus this one explains a bit more about what happened to edgeworths dad

also boycotting over MML3 cancellation, the rerelease of MVC3 5 months after the original and not compensating those who bought the original, then insulting those who were upset that megaman wasnt included in the roster.

no one cares though because "mml3 was a bad game and fighting games are the only good genre." ill remember that when they cut street fighter in a few years because people got sick of rebuying the games.

capcom dont have anything i want anyways. resident evil? dont care, didnt play 5. asuras wrath? not intresting, all it is is an asian god of war. dragons dogma? watered down dragon age. devil may cry? series is shit and boring and emo looking dante is worse.dead rising 2? dont need it. viewtiful joe? please like theyre gonna make a new one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bdcjacko said:
is boycotting a big issue? I haven't noticed. But now I hear this and they were mentioning it on the podcast. Huh..I guess I just don't get that involved.
Nor should you, but he's right. People scream BOYCOTT! at the drop of a hat. There were "boycott" cries over Dante looking like a different kind of prat in the new DMC. There were boycott cries over something about the new Tomb Raider, too. Hell if I can remember, but it was probably because Lara's boobs aren't DDDDDDDs anymore.

Stuff about "always on" DRM and DRM in general makes sense, but gamers toss around "boycott" like most people toss around "like." Like, you know.

Plus, few gaming boycotts ever follow through. Since, as Jim pointed out, people have to have their Modern Warfare 2.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Asking gamers to treat the verb boycott and its power with respect, is like trying to ask Michel Foucault to pull the self-indulgent stick out of his ass.

The boycott for Modern Warfare 2 has to have been the largest boycott (or close to), and it ended up a complete and utter farce.

UrKnightErrant said:
Not enough to wipe you completely off my shit list, Jim, but I'll give you another chance next week.
Oh, look! Another self-serving, smug remark about Jim's persona.

I'd rather read your opinion than a pointless remark about the content's creator. You're a person who has keen insight, yes?

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Wasn't a big fan of his to start, but this isn't half bad. Also, I love the veeery subtle FF9 Zorn and Thorn theme hidden in there. Very sneaky, but it gets extra points in my books for including that. ;)
I'll just leave this here...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
1: I like the arrogant persona, but it's also nice to see things taken a little more seriously and personally, like in the NoA episode.

2: I thought the L4D2 outrage was justified, but the call for a boycott wasn't. Mostly becasue I knew it wouldn't work. The Church of Freeman would never defy their Almighty God-King Valve. They'd talk shit, but all the while they had that game pre-ordered and were counting down the days, and would go singing their Lord's praises once the game came out. Plus, the game was good and they actually kept their promise to update it this time.

3: Agreed. Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean you should go to everyone "Stop being excited! Stop having fun! Have my opinion or I will YELL LOUDER UNTIL YOU DO!"

4: This all comes about because of 3 things: A: Gamers a whiny, entitled lot who think the Dev should cater to them and only them, and anyone who goes against their wishes should be scorned. B: The internet lets them find a couple like-minded individuals that they can rage together with anonymously with and C: Some people really think that people will give a damn that they are saying "Dante looks emo, so let's boycott!". Entitlement, Anonymity and Delusions of Grandeur are what often lead to these 'boycotts' in the first place.

S14

Aug 15, 2011
I'm sorry Jim but after watching the first couple episodes of your show I wrote it off. However, these last two episodes have been really thought provoking and entertaining well done good sir! Keep it up and you will have a new avid viewer.

Jun 11, 2008
enzilewulf said:
Thank you Jim. Thank you. I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.
Really none of it is ever for a good reason?

OT: Also I like everyone taking the piss out of the MW2 boycott just because of the Steam group. The Steam group was a very small portion of the boycott which was 1/4 of a mil and it was recorded that PC sales were significantly lower for that game. Someone of us do know how to boycott however, thank you very much. There was a lot more to the MW2 boycott than just dedicated servers and to name a few price increase, lack of features like lean and mods.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
This may be, perhaps, the best column he's done on the Escapist. And I gotta say, not only was the subject matter interesting, thought out, and presented well - but I really liked not having to wade through the typical beginning and outro.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Genixma said:
I honestly thought he was going to talk about people choosing sides and yelling for a Boycott of the Escapist for the leave of Extra Credits. Well I thank God of Jim to prove me wrong and bring me something good this monday. Awesome.
When i watched I heard the whole thing as a veiled speech about that. It may or may not be, but it is certainly relevant to that discussion. Notice how the most vocal Escapist BOYCOTT callers are still here signing in everyday just to continue posting about it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
THANK YOU! All these "im boycotting this game" posts lately have been absurd. that being said, i did boycott fallout 3 (and have stuck to it, i have no desire to ever play it). not because it looked different but because the gameplay had been fundamentally changed. i wanted a turn based rpg, not an fpsrpg

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Very good episode.

Actually laugh out loud at the 'compiled douchebagness' of the beginning. :)

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
Please, stop with the horrendous looking MS Paint crap. It makes your show look SO unprofessional and, quite frankly, it's an eye sore. That being said, great point, I agree with most of your points.