Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
magicmonkeybars said:
My boycott of Valve until they release HL2 ep3 is still going strong thank you very much.
Sorry to hear that. You're missing out on some really good games.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Has anyone made a joke about boycotting the Jimquisition yet? I hope not.
No. Not quite yet. Many people do however come watch the show, and say in the comments that they thought the show sucked and Jim is an ass. Then they say they will never come see the show again.
I haven't kept track, but I have a feeling they are not being so truthful.
If you see anyone say that kind of thing once, and then come back, I think we as part of the Escapist have the right to hound them for it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I decided to give Jimquisition a second chance, after the first two left me distinctly unimpressed.

It's improved a lot.

I'm definitely tuning in from now on.

Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
I've been waiting all morning for this
thanks!
loved the opening btw

EDIT: I lol'd at the Deus Ex trailer footage, forgot to mention that
Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
thanks!
loved the opening btw

Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
keep in mind that we may be in different time zones!
hello there person from apparently far away!

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
thanks!
loved the opening btw

Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
keep in mind that we may be in different time zones!
hello there person from apparently far away!
Sry, i cant brain today, i have the dumb :V
I get that sometimes too

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
This was a great episode Jim. I liked the dig at your persona in the intro and you were right on the money with today's topic.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Wow, people are still surprised to find themselves liking Jim's vids? This happens like every week.

I've always laughed at the idea of gamers boycotting mainly because they never follow through. If I do happen to be against a company, I'll buy a game used so I don't have to worry about the developer or publisher getting any money from it, and I'm not really big on DLC so I don't worry about that factor.

If it is a company I like and have nothing against, I'll buy their game new.

I guess that's kinda like boycotting...

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Brombaq said:
He is totally right about that...
I got so angry when I say all these guys playing mw2 while being in a boycott group -.-
Or the everyone who boycotted Left 4 Dead 2 then bought it anyway like the tools that they are.
I personally don't boycott,I just don't buy games I don't like. Modern Warfare 3? Fuck that game,it'll be the same as the last one and just tell Bobby Kotick that copying and pasting the same thing again and again with one extra bit is a good idea. (Though Guitar Hero already succeeded in that respect)

But that's my opinion and I'm not going to stand in front of my local Gamestop with a sign,screaming and yelling until the store opens up and I go in to buy my copy like everyone else,I'm just going to sit here in my big chair and not buy the game,Bobby Kotick doesn't get 60 bucks,and I get the satisfaction of saying fuck you to Bobby Kotick.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
People who dont like jim for the "egocentric" persona need to lighten up. Its a joke.

Once you look beyond this the points he makes are not only valid but good.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.
No,he just saw this topic as important and decided to get that stuff out of the way in the beginning this time. Crazy isn't it?

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Wow, that was a lot of sincerity and directness for Jim... I may actually this Jim more than his persona.

I'm not a boycotter though I do refuse to buy certain games or certain companies (not buying from Gearbox after they made Duke Nukem because I cannot abide by them selling out all the progress gaming has made in the last 12 years to make a quick buck)and I do actually believe there ought to be some form of mass-gamer-protest (a full-scale boycott is calling for too much) over the new DMC team modelling Dante after Edward Cullen; we can't let that festering franchise anywhere near our games when it should never have gotten near a bookshelf.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
I'd love if there were more humor. I just might boycott this if it gets boring. Too many people with a stick in their ass in my opinion.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I hear people throw the boycott term around, without much weight behind it other than as a threat. Sounds to me a lot of the time like a kid whining they didn't get what they wanted so they're going to take their football home so no one can play. Problem is, most of the time in the gaming community, there's a strong majority of other kids with footballs who are ready and willing to play and put up with whatever "problems" might be present.
Truth be told, I am not at all pro-boycotting unless there is a significant value in it. Such as human-rights violations or gross animal testing or something along those lines. Corporations exist to make money, and they tend to do whatever they can to continue to do so. I don't boycott DRM for many reasons (mostly because I was a PC gamer when the registration key first came about and have put up with it to play my games). I've never experienced any real detriment to playing a video game due to DRM, with the exception of Neverwinter Nights 2 (which had to do with a firmware problem on my disc drive), nor have I seen a detriment to actual gameplay. A solid game is a solid game.
Diablo 3's auction house, for example, is not something to get up in arms about. Its not game-breaking, its not mandatory. So whats the big deal? They're offering people a chance to make money on something they do as a hobby, which no other game developer has ever offered in my experience (EVE doesn't count since you can't actually convert it to cash through the parent company). So Blizz takes a % off the take itself. Big fucking deal, its their system. And it prevents people from selling things through other sites.
The entitlist mentality is so backward... people think they are entitled to everything a game developer makes for a certain game just because they paid for it initially. While I do agree that day 1 DLC that is actually contained on the disc is highway robbery, the companies who offer it as part of new copies don't bother me. The used game market is pretty much a way for people to make money off of the game dev's without having to pay the dev's for that copy, and dev's charging a bit on top of the used price to get something back for that copy being transferred to another owner is not a big deal. They actually lost money because you did not buy that game new. If you think otherwise you don't understand the economy. If New/Used Store A buys 20 copies of a game new to sell to the public, then sells 10 copies of that game new on the release date, they then re-order those 10 copies and the publisher makes money off of those transactions. If those 10 sold copies come back to New/Used Store A as trade-ins, and Game Store A repackages them as used and resells them, then they don't order more copies of that game and the publisher does NOT make money off those sales. New/Used Store just profited off of those games and the dev's did NOT receive payment due. So publisher of said game has DLC that is available on New copies but not used copies that costs $10 extra for said used copies. If the buyer of the used game decides he/she wants that content to become available, spends the $10 and thus the publisher recoups a little bit of the money they lost on that used sale. That is NOT a crime in any way shape or form. But they are not making extra money either. In fact, they are taking a loss and mitigating that loss by locking some content (most likely not game-breaking) for new copies. That is business. Have a problem with that? Take it up with New/Used Store A, because its their business practice that has put publishers in that position.
Or buy games new.
Boycott when its feasible and reasonable, but don't boycott because publishers want their well-earned money for something they spent their money on to get to you, the consumer, in the first place. Development and marketing are not cheap.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Coulda sworn he was going to mention the people who tried to boycott the Escapist for dropping Extra Credits.