Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I fully agree with this episode you need to stick with boycotting if you are going to.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I didn't know there was a Sonic boycott. I haven't heard any bitching to be honest. It wasn't that bad, but the controls were too sluggish, that's my only gripe.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Oh Jim how I wish things were so simple. The puerile masses have short attention spans, and like the MW2 failure, I see boycotting as more of a meme than anything to be taken seriously. People are too self-serving to mean anything more than to stamp their feat as loud as possible when they dislike something, which is why we see "lolboikawtz" everywhere, by the same people that then buy a game and ***** about why they hated it so much later. Simpletons and manchild types do love their hyperbole.

They're calling for a boycott on RAGE, think it'll go anywhere? I don't. I think it'll be as hot item and Epic Games will feel completely vindicated in the process.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
So, would boycotting Capcom because of their decision not to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 be valid or not?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I started to refuse to buy Ubisoft games when they put in their new online DRM, and so far I'm holding strong. Gonna be hard when the latest Assassin's Creed comes out, but I'm sticking do it. That's the type of consumer abuse I think deserves the use of the word.

Color schemes you don't like, that's not really a time to use the word boycott.

Good video this week, some very insightful points.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Fullmetalfox said:
The reason why we see so much whining over trivial things is because gamers are just people at the end of the day, and people are stupid. This is why there are people who watch really TV, who are vegetarian and even people who blamed the recent UK riots on videogames.
For that reason, I don't see this problem going away this time soon, its not like we can ban stupid people off the internet. best we can do is laugh at them until we are able to detect the potential for idiocy in the fetus and mandate abortions for such fetuses by law.
Were you trying to be silly just now cause that last sentence sounded really dumb. Intelligence and wisdom are gained through a myriad of ways making such things a matter of perspective than a true pinpointable thing.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Plazmatic said:
Im not going to read your response since this was not directed at you for you, or other wise anything to do with you. All I said was the reasons for the boycott which were legitimate. this was not an argument as this was not a matter of opinion.
So it's a matter of fact that the reasons for the L4D2 boycott were legitimate? Hardly.

From what I remember of the boycott, the major complaints were that their had been the promise of updates to the original game, and people assumed that this would interfere with that. This was by far the biggest complaint, and was also demonstrably wrong since L4D has seen updates since L4D2 was released.

According to Wikipedia, some people apparently complained about the characters and aesthetic in the original trailer that was shown, and that the game was going to be released about a year after the original. And while I would agree that not liking those may be a legitimate reason to not buy the game if you're a dick with an over developed sense of entitlement, it's not a legitimate reason to organize a boycott.

About the closest thing to a rational argument I've seen frankly was that releasing the sequel could fracture the community between the first and second games, but frankly, that would be the case with just about any sequel to a popular and widely played game.

So seriously, get over yourself. The boycott was at best some fans complaining about things that were either never an issue in the first place, or which could happen any time a company releases a sequel. I agree with Uber Waddles: you are wrong on this one. L4D2 made big improvements over the first, and saying it could have just been released as an update is silly.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it and have to agree that the videos seem to be improving. Well though out and well argued points on this one. I'm all for people voting with their wallet but agree that crying foul at every little thing and dismissing those who choose not to buy something outright tends to hurt the cause when legitimate boycott's arise.
again, I have to repeat, I am not going to read your response as this was not directed at you for you, or other wise anything to do with you. All I said was the reasons for the boycott which were legitimate. this was not an argument as this was not a matter of opinion.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
veloper said:
That handful of gamers yelling boycott and actually going through with it (unlike most), never make any difference.
There can be no boycott if it isn't organized.
They do make a difference. They tell both the community and the developers that gamers are a bunch of self righteous whiners who "boycott" things and cave in anyway.

This leads to developers getting more and more cocky because they know we'll play it anyway. So the threat of boycott leaves them thinking "uhhh so?".

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Great video and accurate too. I'm am probably in the second group. I have become so bored of any announcement from big publishers immediately being hated on just because it's trendy to hate them, we see this a lot with Blizzard announcements on this site. Then those people almost definitely will go and buy that game :p.

We seem so fast to be hateful and condescending to any decision made (for example the rumoured WoW expansion)that we ignore the facts and take our personal view as the only viable opinion. The good points on the POSSIBLE expansion said why would we have epic battles with the Lich King and Deathwing only to go and help some poor ickle pandas? The bad ones said in a nut shell "it's a crap game, so this expansion will be crap," looking at the figures, while their player base is dwindling it is still huge, so there must be something good about this game. Any way the main point I was trying to make was lets be more constructive and also not be afraid to look at the positive rather than HATE HATE HATE!!!

Let's stick to the same company, Blizzard. There was interesting debate about their real money auction house the I eagerly read (again some arrogance but I over looked it). I think that's what we should aim for... Sadly my opinion on this is that the system will need to be put in the real world before we can see whether or not it is a good or bad idea, time will tell on this.

Something I do agree with the "Boycotters" on is the always having to be online for Diabalo III. Why shouldn't honest people get to play the game just because they don't have or have a reliable internet connection, what if I wanted to play Diablo III on holiday? Blizzard say "tough, too much effort". Their balance with SCII was perfect, you could play the game offline, but if you played online, you got so much more! (achievements, cross game chats, league ladders)... Why can't they do this for Diablo? However, and this is where I am very bad and weak willed, I will not boycott the game because it does not directly affect me. It is hard to deny yourself something you know will bring you a lot of pleasure to help make this statement. It's selfish I know, but gaming is an entertainment industry and I want my entertainment when I want it. I think I would find it easier to resist these games if I felt I had a strong bond to the gaming community, which atm I lack.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
See, this is what this show should be. The 'look at me i'm being self-aggrandising' shtick stopped being funny after the fifth episode, and now it's just an annoying waste of time in between the thoughtful and insightful comments. Sterling does have many interesting things to say, but i dont know why he insists on wasting both his and our time and effort by padding his show with all this meaningless BS we end up just ignoring.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Icehearted said:
They're calling for a boycott on RAGE, think it'll go anywhere? I don't. I think it'll be as hot item and Epic Games will feel completely vindicated in the process.
Epic Games?

Isn't Rage being developed by Id and published by Bethesda? Where do Epic come into it?

superllama

Sep 5, 2010
Boycott Toejam and Earl (on the protesters sign)? Who in the right mind would do that! Plus, whats there to protest?

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
SillyBear said:
veloper said:
That handful of gamers yelling boycott and actually going through with it (unlike most), never make any difference.
There can be no boycott if it isn't organized.
They do make a difference. They tell both the community and the developers that gamers are a bunch of self righteous whiners who "boycott" things and cave in anyway.

This leads to developers getting more and more cocky because they know we'll play it anyway. So the threat of boycott leaves them thinking "uhhh so?".
Spot on.
Point being its a damn game, which has zero effect on society. Most find it hard to care that much about a bunch of pixels on a screen. AND if you do care that much you propably have way too much free time on your hands.
Buy it or don't buy it, the devs don't give a crap. They are more worried about you downloading cracked copies of the game than a bunch of self important whiners who break down after one of their friends buys the game.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.
My thoughts exactly, perhaps in the past I've been put off by the intro portion that got paraphrased in this episode.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat in the Apathy camp here, but I think that's because of the nature of the entertainment industry versus, say, the retail industry. It's very easy to boycott, say, Walmart when you can go to a different store to do all the shopping you would have done there, but each video game is unique, and even if other games are in the same genre you can't call them the same. If I want to boycott a video game (or a video game company), it means that I definitively cannot obtain the game they're making, I can't just shop for it somewhere else.

So someone would have to make a damn good argument if I were to boycott the release of a game I wanted.
You could buy used for console games and that would effectively be a boycott for the publisher. Don't buy DLC though.
Here's the thing though, used game sales don't put any money in the developer's pocket, but they're still kept track of. A used game purchase is one more number on the mountain of "how many people have bought this game," and a true Boycott would not even want to give the developers that.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Just for the record, the physics in Sonic 4 were terrible which is why I didn't buy it. If others want to buy it, though, then that's ok. I agree that it would be stupid to boycott over something which is mostly a preference or opinion. When it comes to things that will inconvience everyone, however, then it's worth doing. Like you say though, Jim, most people won't stick to the boycott which then makes it completely meaningless.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Truly, excellent.

Nice to see someone saying what I occasionally think. I cannot say I am particularly wedded to gamer culture (I suspect that I am aging out of it really) but in this, you are right. Stop devaluing our means of civil protest.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Yay, it's important issue Jimquisition again, I love these. + I'd love to boycott BT3 because it's not on steam, but I really really want it.... So I'll probably buy it at retail, not play it online, and trade it in when I'm done with the campaign. The lost sale my resell will cause, will make EA taste my fury at origin!