Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
Wow. This video was exceptional. Bravo to you Mr. Sterling, a good way to put your two cents on all this boycotting business.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
I watched a couple of Jimquisitions a while back and I wasn't impressed. This however was fucking spot on. =) Sums up my opinion on the matter nicely. If you're going to boycott at least make it over something worth while rather than whether you can wear clothing with your armour or not (looking at you Morrowind fans >_>).

I found the jab at the MW2 boycotters to be particularly good. =p

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Wow.... I'm shocked... That was actually really well put Jim and not only that you managed to get through the entire thing without coming across like an arrogant tool with a vastly overinfalted ego (well except the little bit at the beginning though at least you had the basic decency to do that in a manner that came across as ironic rather than just nauseating).

Seriously, when you hold off from that I actually find alot of your pieces on here quite interesting and agree with alot of what you say and in this case I think you really have hit the nail squarely on the head.

So yeah, more of this please and less of the 'thank god for me, I'm so great' stuff. It's just not at all funny and ruins otherwise interesting and funny rants on the state of the industry!

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Did you say you would boycott it beforehand though? Thats the thing Jim is trying to point out here, 'boycotting' something is a big deal (at least it should be). If you dont agree with what the companies done and complain about it but buy it anyway to play with your mates, thats a LITTLE hypocritical but its a far cry from saying 'Im boycotting this game' and THEN buying it ;)

phoeniciansailor

Aug 23, 2011
I'm a few weeks late to the party, but excellent "Boycott" video. I wish I had watched it sooner, it might have helped me more quickly clarify my own thoughts on the issue. Around the time this video came out I started putting together a web site for folks who have decided not to buy Diablo 3. I wanted something where people could pledge publicly to not buy the game, with the understanding that I would check in with them once a month or so to see if they have stuck to their guns. As people join or drop out, the number of protesters are updated in real time. It's an experiment to see just how strongly people feel about the always-connected single-player games, the lack of mods, the lack of LAN-play, etc., and whether we're all talk or not. Personally, I think that it will be easier and more meaningful to take a stand together. Part of the problem with "personal boycotts" is feeling like you're on your own. You have no way of judging the impact you're making. It's realistic to expect that Blizzard wouldn't notice just one person in isolation "voting with their wallet". But they can't help but notice a bunch of us doing so publicly, and re-committing to our pledge month after month. Anyhow, the site's only just been launched, but I'd still encourage you to check it out :

http://www.nodiablo.com

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I'd love Australian gamers to boycott due to unfair prices (Call of Duty $100USD) but wouldn't know where to start and I'm worried I'd look like a tool.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I thought it was funny when he said something along the lines of "people are boycotting Diablo 3 because it's too bright", which is actually one of the contributing reasons (along with the strangely character-driven storyline and lack of atmospheric omnipresent music) that Diablo 3 lacks the dark atmosphere that made Diablo what it was.

Not saying I'm going to boycott the game because of it, but writing off things that sound stupid at first because you aren't addressing the deeper reasons is one of the reasons people are so damn unreasonable...

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
Kagim said:
Don't know if it has been mentioned thus far, but half of a boycott is not fucking downloading it off some fucking torrent site.

It takes away all meaning from the message trying to be sent. Essentially changing "We won't give you our money because we are agaisnt your business ethics!" to "I want free shit and everything i have said is a smokescreen for it!"

It's like saying you are boycotting McDonalds.... While eating it every time your buddy offers to take you out for a bite. All your moral outrage looks like nothing more then a bullshit smokescreen so your friend will always have to pay for it.

Though i suppose more often that not that is exactly the case...
Yeah, that's completely stupid. My not buying the game only costs money in the lack of a sale--getting it online does not mean another copy is purchased, and so I'm not making anyone else but the company pay for the loss.

In fact, when it comes to online content, one of the best boycotts you can do is prevent the company from getting money from you while still taxing their servers and taking that bandwidth.