Jimquisition: Copyright War

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Copyright War

In this extra Jimquisition episode, Jim tackles the spark of the Copyright War, as YouTube allows publishers to cut through its videos like a legal reaper, claiming all sorts of content and causing a ton of trouble.

Watch Video

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I feel like this happens because the publishers are bored and feel like getting attention every now and then.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The B-roll thing has been happening for a while. Activision gave me a direct Copyright Strike for using B-roll of WoW Cataclysm in a preview of WoW Cataclysm. It wasn't even monetized, I couldn't even if I wanted to at that time.
For a while, I've been doing my best to avoid trailers, B-roll, in-game music, and just about anything that the crappy Content ID system can claim.
Sometimes I substitute gameplay by miming.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Maybe it's time for an alternative to YouTube, since the site seems to be becoming rapidly taken over by corporations and Google +. Anyone got any suggestions for a viable alternative video site?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, I can't help but wonder exactly what's going through the heads of these people. Have they ever considered that maybe, for five minutes, they should stop acting so, you know, EVIL!?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Yep, I was just discussing this in that Youtube LP shitstorm thread the other day. Everyone celebrating the attacks against LPers are really just encouraging publishers to be allowed to exert more and more control over what we the customers are allowed to see, which at the end of the day should be the last thing customers want, because publishers are notoriously stingy with releasing actual relevant information and often even outright lie about the state their games are in.

What I found the most, frankly, insulting about all of the arguments on the side of the publishers, however, is that there are people who simply refuse the idea that LPing a game can be a legitimate job; Who claim that it requires zero effort, time, or money on the behalf of the person creating the videos to just throw out a video on Youtube and then start raking in millions and millions in ad revenue (which in itself is a hilarious misconception as well). And that because these people are simply piggybacking off of "other people's work", they shouldn't be allowed to make money, as if that doesn't happen in every other industry in the entire world.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, I'm sure what I've already typed will draw the ire of the two or three people who valiantly oppose LPs anyway. Good show, Jim, and I indeed wish that Google would actually stand up for the people who draw in the ad revenue rather than actively dicking them over at every turn. They seem to be trying their damnedest to switch people over to other services, which I guess could be a little commendable in a roundabout way.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I've never understood if it's just one dumb guy calling the shots on whatever video that has any relation to their content, no matter how minimal it might be, or just a bot launching infringement notices everywhere.

PS: Hope this is enough to not count it as "low content" Escapist :)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Indeed. Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Also, side question;

Who is happy about this!? [sub]Besides publishers, of course[/sub]

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

But rejoicing it as a whole? WHY!?

P.S. You really don't need them, Jim!
You have all of us. ;3

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I'd like to know what people are celebrating the attempted muzzling of YouTubers? Also if YouTube does continue to allow this, isn't the internet far larger then YouTube, won't the contributers just migrate to another service like DailyMotion or somethin? And how does it benefit Capcom or anyone to try and hamstring coverage of your game? But also haven't they been waging this war with PirateBay for more then a decade now and gotten absolutely next to no where when that can be considered FAR more insipid then Let's Plays?
I AM SO VERY CONFUSED!! Nothing makes any sense. Company's must no longer like advertising... or money.

Let's Plays are great advertising for your game. I bought Papers, Please yesterday because Total Biscut was going gushy over it

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
I'd say that media outlets will eventually shy away from using any footage from some companies because they'd run the risk of being hit by a "scatter shot" and have their videos flagged.
Would be funny if the whole situation would turn into some kind of media blackout where it seems like no one cares about this or that new title because no one talks about it because everyone's afraid that the company might have their bots flag your videos.
Getting the copyright strikes removed might be a process too long for some, especially if you have to do it several times at once when the companies owning copyrights run rampant so you might as well not bother.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Yep, I was just discussing this in that Youtube LP shitstorm thread the other day. Everyone celebrating the attacks against LPers are really just encouraging publishers to be allowed to exert more and more control over what we the customers are allowed to see, which at the end of the day should be the last thing customers want, because publishers are notoriously stingy with releasing actual relevant information and often even outright lie about the state their games are in.

What I found the most, frankly, insulting about all of the arguments on the side of the publishers, however, is that there are people who simply refuse the idea that LPing a game can be a legitimate job; Who claim that it requires zero effort, time, or money on the behalf of the person creating the videos to just throw out a video on Youtube and then start raking in millions and millions in ad revenue (which in itself is a hilarious misconception as well). And that because these people are simply piggybacking off of "other people's work", they shouldn't be allowed to make money, as if that doesn't happen in every other industry in the entire world.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, I'm sure what I've already typed will draw the ire of the two or three people who valiantly oppose LPs anyway. Good show, Jim, and I indeed wish that Google would actually stand up for the people who draw in the ad revenue rather than actively dicking them over at every turn. They seem to be trying their damnedest to switch people over to other services, which I guess could be a little commendable in a roundabout way.
I completely agree with you. It's really questionable how people can think like that.

I just wish Google/Youtube could get their head out of their behinds so they can get their act together. Would be nice to just see an alternative to Youtube spring up if anything... Doubtful that will happen though.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
erttheking said:
You know, I can't help but wonder exactly what's going through the heads of these people. Have they ever considered that maybe, for five minutes, they should stop acting so, you know, EVIL!?
I wouldn't be surprised if there's equal mixes of bumbling and not understanding what they are doing. YouTube has, or at least had, a system for automatic claim checks. Which was pretty annoying when at the time we had multiple YouTube channels and one of them would copyright strike against our other content channels.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I have no idea why some are reacting to this like "Yes, finally that Pewdiepie will get what's coming to him!" as I've seen. He's the one guy every company is going to allow, if not go out of their way, to let him play their game.

[sub]And christ, if you hate the guy that much that you want to affect his livelihood, there is a simpler option, you could just not watch his videos[/sub]

So yeah, I hope (but am not particularly hopeful) that it gets sorted out in a way that helps the content creators, as opposed to those big companies.

[sub]Finally, it's good to see someone mention Northernlion. I know he's by no means small, but I hardly ever hear anyone talk about him on The Escapist =P[/sub]

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
JoJo said:
Maybe it's time for an alternative to YouTube, since the site seems to be becoming rapidly taken over by corporations and Google +. Anyone got any suggestions for a viable alternative video site?
Unfortunately that's basically not going to happen. Any video site hosted on the servers of the size that would be required to hold the raw amount of video footage on youtube would probably have to be owned by a corporation of sorts.

Which isn't to say there aren't web sites with the same capabilities as youtube but they absolutely lack the capacity.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Good. Lemme say that again: Gooooooooooooooood. I hope the publishers go buck wild and punish every LPer they can for every little reason they can. And then, when they come back whining that the indie crowd is growing larger because of a growth in free press and that they want a slice of that because their sales have dropped, we can tell them to go suck on it.

Here's your rope, publishers. Have fun.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"We don't need you anymore and that's what really scares you."

I have been saying this for a long time, Jim. You echo my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
Indeed. Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Also, side question;

Who is happy about this!? [sub]Besides publishers, of course[/sub]

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

But rejoicing it as a whole? WHY!?

P.S. You really don't need them, Jim!
You have all of us. ;3
Pewdiepie. Within 5 comments on the first break of this news on Escapist, someone mentioned "If this gets rid of Pewdiepie then I'm all for it".

I think it's the most ridiculous that these publishers will sue for lets plays of games that are impossible to get any more. Like, you literally cannot get the game new, even digitally. But they will still sue.