Jimquisition: Copyright War

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
I don't see what publishers are going to gain from this. They aren't going to produce videos like the ones they are taking down, so it's irrelevant that YouTubers are making money off playing their game because they have no way to move that revenue to their coffers. It is simply money that is being taken out of the marketplace - less money for YouTubers, less money for Google, and ultimately less money for publishers for anyone who might be influenced to buy a game from a Let's Play video. The only way they could capitalize on getting that revenue is in producing their own videos or perhaps loading up complete walkthroughs of games - not likely.

It's NOT like showing a movie you buy and charging people to watch it in any way - or whatever asinine analogy they might be making. Games are simply a different medium.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
UberPubert said:
JoJo said:
Maybe it's time for an alternative to YouTube, since the site seems to be becoming rapidly taken over by corporations and Google +. Anyone got any suggestions for a viable alternative video site?
Unfortunately that's basically not going to happen. Any video site hosted on the servers of the size that would be required to hold the raw amount of video footage on youtube would probably have to be owned by a corporation of sorts.

Which isn't to say there aren't web sites with the same capabilities as youtube but they absolutely lack the capacity.
yeah, except that it doesn't really NEED *ALL* of Youtube's server capabilities. Youtube is just utterly glutted with trash that noone watches. Ever. Stuff people just upload for themselves or whatever. Last statistic I heard on it, 48 hours of footage was uploaded to youtube every hour. So really, it's impossible for less then 50 people working non-stop to watch it all, and I imagine 90% of it is total trollop horseshit.

Not to mention, a few big names move house, that will benefit the third party immensely, allowing them to grow at the expense of Youtube.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
I know it's not true for many other people, but when I watch a full Let's PLay, I then DON'T buy the game. It's why i've only bought one game this entire year, and that was GTA V. I guess those count as lost sales?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I am not sure what bothers me more, is that the Publishers (or someone on their behalf) is making all these claims or that YouTube made their system so automated this can happen. I think it falls more to YouTube, for like anyone if a Publisher can find something to exploit they will just like a person can to a game because they can. To me this should be something Google should look at improving for they might lose more then the Publishers for if people can't find the content they want on YouTube they are going to go elsewhere and then they don't get their ad revenue.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I was waiting for this. Lately, if a game mostly focuses on story, and the gameplay is just a pacing element one must perform to move the story along, I just watch the Let's Play. A good Let's Play'er will improve the experience with witty commentary, over me sitting by myself jumping through the hoops I need to in order to learn more of the story.

As someone who prefers that games deliver good gameplay rather than a narrative, I don't mind depriving narrative game makers of their revenue in this way, particularly while it is perfectly legal on YouTube. Mostly I just watch the first 3 or 4 episodes before I decide the narrative isn't very good, but sometimes the story is really good, so I go the whole way.

It is totally understandable to me that the owners of the content would have a problem with this. I'm still rooting YouTuber's, because it is a good way to experience games freely that I wouldn't buy.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Viacom eventually either gave up or came to some sort of agreement about people posting music videos, so publishers will be forced to cave in after a year or so as well, because if you start taking their videos down, they'll just reupload them on a different account or tell everyone to upload their videos to their own accounts or open their own sites & host their videos on Blip, DailyMotion, Veoh, or Vimeo, moving it to another video hosting site any time it gets taken down.

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
The game publishers might not be the ones flagging the videos tho, Capcom has at least tweeted that they aren't make the claims and are looking into it.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fyoutube-channels-crippled-by-copyright-claims-1480717110&screen_name=Capcom_Unity&tw_i=410559475959885824&tw_p=tweetembed

According to this Kotaku article it's the music in the video that's getting flagged so it's more likely music publishers that are behind this which is not any more surprising or wrong.

http://kotaku.com/youtube-channels-crippled-by-copyright-claims-1480717110?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty spot-on there. I too hope that the ignorance and shortsightedness of publishers is eventually going to 'pay off' in an explosion of interest in indie and middle-sized games while AAA companies squander the easily tapped resources at their disposal. People are sick and tired of copyright strikes, content censorship, corporate oversight, and yeah, maybe some people don't make money that they could have made independantly and not detracting from publishers, but the downside is a less active community and worse general opinion. Which is fine. Sow the seeds, reap the whirlwind, people have hated publishers for a long time and to see them fail due to their own practises, which have been vocally opposed often and loudly, might even be enjoyable.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
likalaruku said:
Viacom eventually either gave up or came to some sort of agreement about people posting music videos, so publishers will be forced to cave in after a year or so as well, because if you start taking their videos down, they'll just reupload them on a different account or tell everyone to upload their videos to their own accounts or open their own sites & host their videos on Blip, DailyMotion, Veoh, or Vimeo, moving it to another video hosting site any time it gets taken down.
Viacom had actually taken Google to court over the whole thing and Google ended up winning the case. After that Viacom just stopped flagging stuff all together. I remember back in 2009 it was a huge problem because they ended up flagging LPers who were doing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time claiming to own the rights to it and were threatening Google with legal action. Surprisingly Google actually had the balls to take their threat and took them to court, winning in the end.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
But this is the internet, where throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a national sport.
I hereby nominate this statement for 'Motto of the Moment'.

Seriously, is there a proper procedure for this?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
rbstewart7263 said:
You know if it benefits pewdiepie its a bad thing.
I'm beginning to wonder if PewDiePie spends his off-days going around kicking puppies into threshers or something. It's the only way he could possibly deserve the rampant amount of hate I'm seeing here.

synobal said:
The fastest way to get me to not buy your game is to make me watch pewdiepie.
And then he apparently uses the money he earns from puppy-kicking to pay thugs to go into homes and force people to watch his channel or something.

I mean, seriously. I don't like him; I find his voice annoying and his mannerisms cloying. So y'know what I do? I DON'T WATCH HIS VIDEOS. YouTube gives you that option! Maybe Jim needs to do an episode on this sense of self-importance so many people have, where something they don't like should be destroyed.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Imp Emissary said:
Indeed. Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Also, side question;

Who is happy about this!? [sub]Besides publishers, of course[/sub]

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

But rejoicing it as a whole? WHY!?

P.S. You really don't need them, Jim!
You have all of us. ;3
People who hate Let's Players. They believe that they're over paid for a minimum amount of work. Though making it big is liken to winning the lottery as for every person that gets rich there's dozens working tireless who no one will ever hear about. Corporate CEOs make anywhere from 200 to 300 times more than the average worker of their own companies and typically work less than 20 hours a week. There are sports stars that make more than the president. But Let's Players are where we draw the line God damn it! My friend Mandy puts in between 3 to 6 hours a day for over a year now. She has a grand totally of 93 followers and... she could go buy a Big Mac with how much she makes in a day!

Then there's the people who worship corporations as if they are our new pantheon of gods.

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
Could somebody do me the favor of explainig what the difference between a publisher and a gamecompany, like Bethesda, is? Where is the line drawn? What does the publisher do?

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
if this means less talentles cretins making bank by screaming like a demented 12 year old girls, well im all for it. but then if they pout a law infront of me that would euthanise these people and all their fans id sign it as my good deed to the gene pool

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Someonetookmyname said:
Could somebody do me the favor of explainig what the difference between a publisher and a gamecompany, like Bethesda, is? Where is the line drawn? What does the publisher do?
Bethesda is sort of both. Developers actually make the game, Publishers to my knowledge handles physical production and marketing and funding. Bethesda is both, they publish their own games, and they published Dishonored and a few other things (which are less notable).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Yep, I was just discussing this in that Youtube LP shitstorm thread the other day. Everyone celebrating the attacks against LPers are really just encouraging publishers to be allowed to exert more and more control over what we the customers are allowed to see, which at the end of the day should be the last thing customers want, because publishers are notoriously stingy with releasing actual relevant information and often even outright lie about the state their games are in.

What I found the most, frankly, insulting about all of the arguments on the side of the publishers, however, is that there are people who simply refuse the idea that LPing a game can be a legitimate job; Who claim that it requires zero effort, time, or money on the behalf of the person creating the videos to just throw out a video on Youtube and then start raking in millions and millions in ad revenue (which in itself is a hilarious misconception as well). And that because these people are simply piggybacking off of "other people's work", they shouldn't be allowed to make money, as if that doesn't happen in every other industry in the entire world.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, I'm sure what I've already typed will draw the ire of the two or three people who valiantly oppose LPs anyway. Good show, Jim, and I indeed wish that Google would actually stand up for the people who draw in the ad revenue rather than actively dicking them over at every turn. They seem to be trying their damnedest to switch people over to other services, which I guess could be a little commendable in a roundabout way.
The ironic thing about some of the comments in that thread was most were only happy because it would affect LPers they don't like like Pewdiepie.

So the fall of one LPer is justified by thousands of casualties in the crossfire.

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
Someonetookmyname said:
Bethesda is two companies; Bethesda Softworks (publisher) and Bethesda Game Studios (developer).

They're both owned by their parent company Zeni-Max (founded by a Bethesda Softworks founder) which owns most of the studios Bethesda Softworks publishes for.

ZeniMax isn't a publisher in the same way EA is, they're mostly just a company created by Bethesda Softworks to hold their companies they publish for (and Bethesda Softworks).

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Mid Boss said:
Imp Emissary said:
Indeed. Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Also, side question;

Who is happy about this!? [sub]Besides publishers, of course[/sub]

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

But rejoicing it as a whole? WHY!?

P.S. You really don't need them, Jim!
You have all of us. ;3
People who hate Let's Players. They believe that they're over paid for a minimum amount of work. Though making it big is liken to winning the lottery as for every person that gets rich there's dozens working tireless who no one will ever hear about. Corporate CEOs make anywhere from 200 to 300 times more than the average worker of their own companies and typically work less than 20 hours a week. There are sports stars that make more than the president. But Let's Players are where we draw the line! My friend Mandy puts in between 3 to 6 hours a day for almost two years now. She has a grand totally of 93 followers. She could go buy a Big Mac with how much she makes in a day.

Then there's the people who worship corporations as if they are our new pantheon of gods.
Indeed. I have seen a little bit of that even here, today.

Also, I am reminded of how Yahtzee and others have mentioned how it sometimes seems like fans of some companies act almost as though they are in an abusive relationship.

[http://imageshack.com/i/mrabusiveapple1p]

Hope you have a good day, and good luck to your friend! =w= b