Jimquisition: Crying Through The Laughs

Madmonk12345

Jun 14, 2012
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
I agree but there is one example I can show that disproves this. Spec Ops: The Line is downright miserable from the very beginning but it still managed to poke an emotional reaction from me.
The reason Spec Ops: The Line worked was because every event, no matter how miserable, is a foreseeable consequence of your own actions, making you able to blame yourself, feeling terrible about terrible things. The problem with this is that it requires really good writing; you can't just make a game depressing from start to finish and expect it to work, and must figure out how to prevent the player from ceasing to care about a story that was depressing to begin with. While depressing stories can work, they require better writing than most games are given at this time.

Spec Ops:The Line is certainly a good example to look at for trying to avoid such things however, and if Spec Ops changes the trend of how the writing of the story of games is performed, I certainly won't be displeased.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
And I had forgoten how bad the laugh scene from FF X was. I love the game but that really is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Although it is still better than anything from FF Return of the Jedi XII or XIII.
I always felt that Tidus was laughing horribly on purpose as so he could make Yuna laugh. He was willing to make himself look foolish as that was the easiest way to get her to smile.

Raso719

May 7, 2011
I think what gets me the most is that people think that this new trend where stories need to be nothing short of perpetual downers is some how more realistic while also believing that that characters being happy, laughing and acting sincere is some how childish and naive.

And it's not just the plot that suffers but many characters are written as shallow and empty gloom machines who do nothing but argue with each other and mope about. They constantly blur the line between anger and despair to where you assume that anger and sadness always go hand and hand yet when someone cracks a joke or a smile we criticize the character for not being serious or for being unrealistic.

So I guess my concern is that this isn't so much a problem with video games but with society itself for being so cynical as to think that doom and gloom is realistic while attacking happy and hopeful stories and characters as being childish. If that is the case then there is something seriously messed up with the world.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm glad Jim brought up Final Fantasy X. That game is charged with a variety of emotions but gets a bad rap because everyone would like to believe they would handle the main character's situation better than he did.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Entitled said:
Sounds like Jim needs to try some Nakige visual novels. That is basically a whole genre based around that principle, with a light-herated, comedic first act, a heartwarming romantic second act, and a third act that will make you cry.

WARNING! IT'S NAKIGE, WITH AN "A". UNDER NO CONDITION SHOULD ANYONE TRY THE "NUKIGE VISUAL NOVEL" GENRE, WITH AN "U", OR DO AN IMAGE SEARCH FOR "NUKIGE".
Such amount of capital letters needs a search... fires up vpn, virtual machine and so on and then google & bing.... OK that kind "do not" ahem that is just evil..
(checked wikipedia and Nakige="cry game" if the curious wants to know..)

And I do agree with Jim lots of games are just depressed at all times some small gleams of emotional games do exist, not that I can mention them now but still... And good comedy (ie not plain slapstick..) would make a lot more games actually emotional I've read a book (or two) that makes me care since I see both good times and bad times. It can be simply boiled down to: happy go sad and then go happy again, and you're done!...

That "laugh" why? Oh why? Please make me unhear it!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'm glad Jim brought up Final Fantasy X. That game is charged with a variety of emotions but gets a bad rap because everyone would like to believe they would handle the main character's situation better than he did.
...Which is massive B.S. on their part, since just about everybody from the real world would snap and slip into a deep depression if not outright kill themselves after spending an hour in Spira, and that's if the Fiends didn't get them first.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Jim, did you foresee Graham's answer to the 'what's your favorite guilty pleasure game?' Because you threw in that stupid laugh SOOOO much.

Still, good points on the episode. I agree that when you can't tell how someone feels because... well, they never showed no emotion to begin with, it's hard to care when something happens. I've recently started Gears 3 and didn't realize Marcus was supposed to be upset about the whole dad thing until it was specifically mentioned.

Elephant Walker19

Jul 5, 2010
thejackyl said:
mraustindude19 said:
Whats the game where the pig fried its self?
Illusion of Gaia for SNES - I recently replayed it after beating it when I was like 11 or 12, and I don't remember getting chills from any scenes from it when I was younger. The entire 2nd half of the game (From Angel Village) sets a different pace than the first half.
Thanks.seems fun. will check it out

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
While this was a good video, I don't agree that you need laughter to generate tragedy. It can certainly help things along and make them more memorable, but brooding characters still illicit an emotional response akin to tragedy with the right kind of artistic touch.

One of the best ways I've seen this done is through discovery moments usually told in flashbacks. Although present in famous films such as Citizen Kane, my personal favorite example of tragedy befalling a brooding protagonist is in Godfather 1 & 2 (spoilers to these movies to follow). Michael Corleone is never a "happy" character. There's a seriousness to him at all times even before tragedy strikes. He's a former WWII veteran who doesn't wish to be connected to his family's mob life. His desire to protect his father and family at all costs lead him to a dark path that results in the murder any perceived threat to his family that he has such devotion to. This includes a few close friends and even his older brother, Fredo, after he was revealed to have given vital information to a party that endangered Micheal, his wife, and his son's lives at the beginning of the second movie.

At the very end of Godfather 2, there's a scene which takes place prior to the event of both movies where the family is preparing to celebrate the beloved Godfather's birthday. While his family chat about the recent Pearl Harbor bombings, Micheal announces that he's signed up to fight for the greater good. Every member of the family is upset by this except Fredo (he's willing to give his life for someone that isn't his "blood", which is dismissed as stupid). The close of the scene shows Michael drinking at his family's table without his family.

What this does is really ties the tragic events of this character's life together and serve as a punctuation to what we've seen, granting context and realization. When Micheal tries to do the "honorable" thing by avoiding the mob life, his family rejects him. When he takes over the family business, it results in the destruction of his family. Ultimately, his idealism is his undoing, which is what makes it so tragic.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
I am so surprised HL2: EP2 didn't get a special mention for making tragedy matter in a bleak, tragic setting.But maybe he didn't do it cause it proved his point wrong.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Respect to FF 8? FF 8 is almost as bad if not more so than FF 13, I honestly can decide which is worse. FF 8 introduced the absurdly stupid Draw system, GF conjunction and the stupidest weapon ever conceived by man the Gunblade.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SoMuchSpace said:
I am so surprised HL2: EP2 didn't get a special mention for making tragedy matter in a bleak, tragic setting.But maybe he didn't do it cause it proved his point wrong.
Actually, while I like HL2's story, I didn't find that moment you're referring too a big enough tragedy as I wasn't really invested in that character. It was a bit of a shocking moment, but not a sad one for me at all. So ... no.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:
Actually, while I like HL2's story, I didn't find that moment you're referring too a big enough tragedy as I wasn't really invested in that character. It was a bit of a shocking moment, but not a sad one for me at all. So ... no.
Really?Wow.Guess each to his own.

Though that moment always comes up whenever anyone talks about the saddest things in gaming.Infact, the whole glimmer of hope after the end fight, the whole 'things are looking up for us now' at the end plus his little heart to heart really set that moment up well.It was pone of the fewest moments in which NPC's in HL2 were happy.

SugarSkulls

Jan 31, 2012
One thing I said to a friend about FFIX when Zidane goes emo was something like, "He's been happy the entire game, he's allowed this."
Not exactly a great point but I though it a relevant piece of testimony. FFIX had almost everyone go through little happy sad arcs. Steiner was almost the anti emo, but I don't think he was ever sad, just serious.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SoMuchSpace said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:

Though that moment always comes up whenever anyone talks about the saddest things in gaming.Infact, the whole glimmer of hope after the end fight, the whole 'things are looking up for us now' at the end plus his little heart to heart really set that moment up well.It was pone of the fewest moments in which NPC's in HL2 were happy.
Also, let's be fair -- there IS a lot of hope in HL2. The relationship between Eli and Alyx Vance *is* a happy one. They smile together, are happy to see each other. There's also a lot of humor -- Dr. Klein and Heady are pretty funny, and Barney is a rather sarcastic character.

There are rousing moments, such as the Anticitizen One section. There's Cubbage, and his whole fun faux-heroism.

HL2 has a permanent sense of loss and despair, but it still has a lot of happiness, hope, and humor. Because the people are human. It absolutely does not disprove my point. It only enforces it.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:

Also, let's be fair -- there IS a lot of hope in HL2. The relationship between Eli and Alyx Vance *is* a happy one. They smile together, are happy to see each other. There's also a lot of humor -- Dr. Klein and Heady are pretty funny, and Barney is a rather sarcastic character.

There are rousing moments, such as the Anticitizen One section. There's Cubbage, and his whole fun faux-heroism.

HL2 has a permanent sense of loss and despair, but it still has a lot of happiness, hope, and humor. Because the people are human. It absolutely does not disprove my point. It only enforces it.
You're referring to the Half Life series as a whole.I get what you're saying, but only in the context of Episode 2, i don't think it' really applicable.

-The whole tone of the first half is extremely sad because the player is uncertain if Alyx will live
-When you do revive her, The GMan pops up and reminds you that you are merely the pawns of his chess set, and that everything that is happening is because he has been controlling it
-The advisors have hatched and have become much more of a threat than in their incubation stage
-The combines are marching towards the last base of the resistance with al they've got - one strider and the whole mission is bust
-Judith Mossman could be under the combine imprisonment, they could very well be torturing her to reveal information about the resistance
-The Borealis : we're unsure what it does, but constant reinforcement makes us feel that it should be destroyed

There's maybe 3-4 happy interactions, but even after the final battle is over, you have to go save Judith, and then that moment happens.

My point is this - The overall setting of Ep2 is bleak and sad.In fact the pfirst half has been the lowest feeling of despair and loss you've ever been given by the series.It ends as whole, tragically.You seem to say that in order for the sad thing to wrok, we must be given a montage of an hour of alyx, eli, kleiner and barney hugging and smiling each at each other.Sadness works depending on how much you bother to delve into the story of the character.You weren't invested in Eli, therefore you didn't find what happened to him sad.I was, so i did.The whole happiness needs to be there so that we notice sadness is just...strange.

-

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SoMuchSpace said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
SoMuchSpace said:

You're referring to the Half Life series as a whole.I get what you're saying, but only in the context of Episode 2, i don't think it' really applicable.

-The whole tone of the first half is extremely sad because the player is uncertain if Alyx will live
-When you do revive her, The GMan pops up and reminds you that you are merely the pawns of his chess set, and that everything that is happening is because he has been controlling it
-The advisors have hatched and have become much more of a threat than in their incubation stage
-The combines are marching towards the last base of the resistance with al they've got - one strider and the whole mission is bust
-Judith Mossman could be under the combine imprisonment, they could very well be torturing her to reveal information about the resistance
-The Borealis : we're unsure what it does, but constant reinforcement makes us feel that it should be destroyed

There's maybe 3-4 happy interactions, but even after the final battle is over, you have to go save Judith, and then that moment happens.

My point is this - The overall setting of Ep2 is bleak and sad.In fact the pfirst half has been the lowest feeling of despair and loss you've ever been given by the series.It ends as whole, tragically.You seem to say that in order for the sad thing to wrok, we must be given a montage of an hour of alyx, eli, kleiner and barney hugging and smiling each at each other.Sadness works depending on how much you bother to delve into the story of the character.You weren't invested in Eli, therefore you didn't find what happened to him sad.I was, so i did.The whole happiness needs to be there so that we notice sadness is just...strange.

-
Yes, but it's an episode. It's built from a plot and characters that have already been established. They've been developed, and this is them at their lowest. This does not disprove what I said. The characters have sunk lower than was established previously. This is different from characters that start miserable and never go anywhere else.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
You know, overall I like FF9. Not my favorite, but I like it. There are 4 things that irritate me about it though:

1) It plods along. It feels like the characters are wearing lead shoes when they move. Not the worst of it I seen (Legend of Legaia is FAR worse) but it still feels sluggish.

2) The end boss. Ahem, spolers coming up:

Where in teh hell did Necron come from? There's no mention of him in the story and no mention of any impact on the characters. The crystal itself from the title art as well just has no relevance throughout the story until after you beat Kuja when it pops up.

3) The forced PlayOnline focus. Now this is more related to people like myself who have no issue using strategy guides and the like but most of the information and anything relevant to what a guide should have forced you to look up online. Now this was at a time where net speeds weren't nearly as fast as they are now so it was a pain at best with no alternative. And if you want to use the guide now? Better find an archive of the info because Square cut it out long ago.

4) Quina. Never fond of that character really. Any time I had an option not to have her, I took her out of the party.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Jim,

What your messing was driving home this time reminded me of a point Yahtzee had made before, and that is juxtaposition. In his point however, he was analyzing the pacing of action sequences in (i think) his review of Modern Warfare 3.

Great and well articulated point though, Jim.