Jimquisition: Crying Through The Laughs

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I think this again has to do with game developers not being very good writers, and the growing sense among the gaming community that every game has to be 100% straight-faced with no signs of light-heartedness in sight, or else people will fear that "GAMES WON'T BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!!!" again...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Was I the only one who was annoyed with Titus for being a whiny little prick? That he deserved all his hopes and dreams being blown to bits for being a self important whiny water polo celebrity? Just me? Oi....
Yeah just you buddy. No one on the internet has ever accused Tidus of being whiny.

Seriously, it is never just you. Why do people still start posts this way? It's even more annoying when they are stating a popular opinion after saying "is it just me".

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Gizmo1990 said:
So glad you mentioned FF IX. It is easily my favorite FF game and one of my favorite games ever. After VII and VIII it was nice to have a main character who did not make me want to shout 'Cheer the fuck up!' at the screen after every sentance.

And I had forgoten how bad the laugh scene from FF X was. I love the game but that really is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Although it is still better than anything from FF Return of the Jedi XII or XIII.
For IX you had to scream "hurry the fuck up", the game was so slow.

The laugh scene in FFX gets so much hate that it is now good. In other words, it is not as bad as people say it is so that puts it squarely on the good side rather than the bad side. People don't seem to comprehend that it was MEANT TO BE A FAKE LAUGH and therefore it sounds like a fake laugh.

As for the video, I agree. I don't know what else can be said though.
See I think most people forget that intentionally bad is still bad... It's still annoying, it's still terrible voice acting... I mean the Titus' voice acting through out the game was generally terrible as a rule... I another TERRIBLE scene equiv to that is Titus breaking down at Al Bhed when he figures out Yuna's fate. He was playing it straight and it ended up being over the top melodramatic and just terrible.

Yeah the that was intended argument can't defend that voice acting job... or the terribad writing involved with Titus.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Crono1973 said:
Gizmo1990 said:
So glad you mentioned FF IX. It is easily my favorite FF game and one of my favorite games ever. After VII and VIII it was nice to have a main character who did not make me want to shout 'Cheer the fuck up!' at the screen after every sentance.

And I had forgoten how bad the laugh scene from FF X was. I love the game but that really is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Although it is still better than anything from FF Return of the Jedi XII or XIII.
For IX you had to scream "hurry the fuck up", the game was so slow.

The laugh scene in FFX gets so much hate that it is now good. In other words, it is not as bad as people say it is so that puts it squarely on the good side rather than the bad side. People don't seem to comprehend that it was MEANT TO BE A FAKE LAUGH and therefore it sounds like a fake laugh.

As for the video, I agree. I don't know what else can be said though.
See I think most people forget that intentionally bad is still bad... It's still annoying, it's still terrible voice acting... I mean the Titus' voice acting through out the game was generally terrible as a rule... I another TERRIBLE scene equiv to that is Titus breaking down at Al Bhed when he figures out Yuna's fate. He was playing it straight and it ended up being over the top melodramatic and just terrible.

Yeah the that was intended argument can't defend that voice acting job... or the terribad writing involved with Titus.
I think the voice acting was fine. You want bad voice acting, see Star Ocean 4 or listen to Vanille for a minute or two. Also, I think that the voice actor did his job and made an intended fake laugh sound fake.

Whatever though, 10 years this laugh has been made fun of as well as the character of Tidus. It won't stop now but it does get more annoying everytime it's mentioned. It would be more effective to use Vanille to display bad voice acting.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Undeadpool said:
portal_cat said:
what about Mass Effect 3? It was really sad when Thane died (or at least it was for me).
Boom, done in one. That and
Mordin got me legitimately choked up.
I think the entire Mass Effect trilogy is a good example of what JIm was talking about. The previous two games had their moments of humour, levity and victory. Whether it was cracking jokes with Garrus, or encountering a drunk Volus declaring himself the master of all biotics, you really felt that the world just kept turning while you were out saving the universe.

In Mass Effect 3 that all collapses, and is replaced by a growing sense of dread that hits you harder the more you delved into the previous two games. You really felt that you character was experiencing a cataclysm, especially during the fall of Thessia. Hell, even the colour palette began to mute at that point in the game as more civilisations fell to the Reapers, making it feel that all the life in the universe really was being drained away.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I loved FFX, but the laugh scene didn't bothered me. Yes, it was kind of a WTF moment, but I wasn't bothered by it 10 years ago (damn, I seriously need to get a PS2 soon... so many games I want to replay and so many that I missed).

I played VII and VIII and while VII is definitely the better and my very first RPG ever, I didn't liked it back then. Nowadays, I find it quite charming at places, but I still don't like it as much as it's fans do. IX on the other hand, that's a game that I've never played and I'm seriously considering giving it a try.

As for other games nailing the depression through happiness, there's Guild Wars and it's pre-searing intro, especially if you get used to Gwen, that annoying little girl following you, smelling the roses at each step, it's definitely dishearting seeing your hometown utterly destroyed a few years later.

Also, Half-Life 2 and it's episodes is surprisingly optimistic despite it's shitty (and I mean REAL shitty) setting and I don't mean the generic NPC's lamenting their lives, I mean Alyx herself, her dad, Kleiner and the other scientists cheering for Gordon's return and you can even see their optimism for a brighter future rising.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
I think the main reason most stories these days, not just in games, always seem to be so depressing is because the real world itself is pretty depressing. Without their being much hope or joy to draw inspiration from it is hardly surprising that a great deal of narratives kind find any to include.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Beyond Good and Evil managed this with flying colors. It's a game where every character is an antropomorphic animals and yet the emotions still gives me chills, that music when you take pictures of kids in crates.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Surprised Max Payne 3 didn't get a mention. Like Yahtzee had pointed out, the game is so miserable that you never feel a sense of accomplishment when you do anything. And when something good does happen, it's like Max is so determined to remain unhappy that he won't allow himself to be happy.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
portal_cat said:
what about Mass Effect 3? It was really sad when Thane died (or at least it was for me).
Legion and Grunt for me. Also the Asari Krogan couple oddly made me cry.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
th3dark3rsh33p said:
So because other games have worse actors... This specific voice acting job is excused?
No, but this laugh scene is brought up way too often when there are far better examples of bad voice acting.

Alandoril said:
I think the main reason most stories these days, not just in games, always seem to be so depressing is because the real world itself is pretty depressing. Without their being much hope or joy to draw inspiration from it is hardly surprising that a great deal of narratives kind find any to include.
We're all broke and struggling to pay the bills as prices go up and incomes don't but in my family, there are still plenty of laughs. Life isn't all that depressing.

It's just that the game industry is so hell bent on selling misery to gamers because they don't want to appear kiddy.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Undeadpool said:
Amaror said:
Gonna agree: I actually thought DA 2 had some better moments, emotion-wise such as

Anders' betrayal. It wasn't "sad" per se, but it was devastating emotionally. And Merrill's entire arc with the mirror really got to me, but that's partially because she was, in my opinion, an amazing character.
I wasn't that emotional about that stuff, but that has different reasons.

Merril and Anders seem to be the big two here.
I didn't really felt anything from Anders, because the Character was ruined for me from the start of the game. I grew to love Anders and Justice in Dragon Age - Awakening and the moment i met him in Dragon Age 2, he just isn't Anders anymore(HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A CAT). Same goes for Justice, or should i say Vengeance. What a way to ruin two awesome characters at once. Through that i wasn't even that suprised when anders blew up the church.
I have no problem with characters betraying me but, for gods sake, make it reasonable. Why did he blew up the church? The fucking Templar main base wasn't that far away! That would have been understandable.
This is the main reason why i did not feel with the two characters, i explained Merril in the post you quoted. They just both act like incredible retards.

Aug 1, 2010
Great episode. Very true. I'm a big fan of dark and gritty stories, so I never understood why I couldn't enjoy Gears of War, but you're right. It never has any ups to juxtapose the downs.

My favorite example is Mass Effect 3.

Probably the most depressing game I've ever played, but I remember it and it worked because it always had that air of hope and levity.
Even though it begins with sadness, it comes up from it.
Garrus and James comparing [s/]dicks[/s] achievements.
Little jokes made by the squad members on missions.
All the heroic moments like making the Reaper get nom nom'd on Tuchanka.

It made things like Thane, Mordin, Miranda and Kelly's death so much more powerful.

[h1/]ME3 SPOILER: EVERYONE DIES AND IT WAS ALL A DREAM.[/HEADING]

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
portal_cat said:
Mass Effect 3 (and the franchise as a whole) has several times were the crew is just hangs out a jokes around. It isn't always so relentlessly depressing.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Great show as always Jim!

Feel that you kind of misunderstand FF8 though. While you use FF9 as an example of a game that does very well having a positive happy main character whose subsequent meetings with tragedy works very well due to him being so positive and happy (cant argue with you there, FF9 is great!), you cant judge all main-characters by the same standard. I would instead say that Squall is an example of doing it the other way around:

I never felt that Squall was put through any huge personal tragedies during the game. He CAME from a very dark place, with a bad childhood etc, but he was constantly surrounded by friends that looked up to him and a cute girl that liked him. For me, FF8 and Squall was not a game that was trying to be tragic, but a tale of a character that came from such a dark place and finally, at the end, found that he dared to be happy (not quite unlike the journey of the main character or Evangelion, who is similarily accused of being mopy and whiny). I think that is a just as viable a journey for the hero to take, not to be struck by hardship so much but instead finding through the journey that despite what he himself thought at the beginning, he does have the strength to overcome these hardships and be a happy person. I think that sentiment is kind of beautiful.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
How would Neku from The World Ends With You fit in? He doesn't start the game mopey, per se, but he does start at the bottom of the emotional scale, isolating himself from others for seemingly no other reason than for its own sake. Yet through the first third of the game, he grows to care about his game partner Shiki, giving some gravitas to the later events involving her.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
skylog said:
How would Neku from The World Ends With You fit in? He doesn't start the game mopey, per se, but he does start at the bottom of the emotional scale, isolating himself from others for seemingly no other reason than for its own sake. Yet through the first third of the game, he grows to care about his game partner Shiki, giving some gravitas to the later events involving her.
Like I theorized in my previous post, Neku is also a good example of a hero that has another kind of journey than Zidane from FF9, instead being more similar to Squall or Shinji in Evangelion in that they instead come from a dark background but once again learn to trust and be happy. I think Jim kind of misses the point with that kind of emotional journey for the hero, just mistaking it for being a mopy emo downer.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sorry, but um... Duh? This is pretty basic story-telling stuff you are commenting on right here. Did people really need this pointed out to them? 'Cause I thought most had already realized this. :\

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Someone clearly wrote on the FFX script: "Ha ha ha ha ha!" and then the voice actors read it exactly has written, people with no concept of the sound of laughter...

I saw a lot of Heavy Rain footage in that video. Now say what you like about Heavy Rain but I don't think it deserves to be scrutinised under this particular topic. The first section is all happy rainbows and sunshine purposely to show how low Ethan falls later in the game. I would say they showed the contrast pretty damn well from the characters, to the situations right down to the colour pallet.