Jimquisition: Crying Through The Laughs

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I'd post a video of laughter for the end, but I don't need to, you already did it.

I feel like you should have talked about Heavy Rain a bit, since you used it a lot in your video (clips of it at least). People complained about how long and drawn out the opening is, and it does get tedious, but at the same time, one could argue that it's setting up the tragedy...a bit TOO well, but compare the set of the house of the opening, and when we see Ethan again next. The colors around, the mood, the music, I even think it was raining. The way he looks, you feel for him, and understand the character THAT much more based on the juxtaposition of the two Ethans, and it makes scenes like the Lizard challenge THAT much more intense.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Was I the only one who was annoyed with Titus for being a whiny little prick? That he deserved all his hopes and dreams being blown to bits for being a self important whiny water polo celebrity? Just me? Oi....
He wasn't so bad. I liked that he was (as we) a pilgrim in a strange land, it makes discovering stuff about the world a lot more dynamic when it justifies the exposition.
And, more to the point, not all characters need to be austere and gritty badass (that's what Auron is for)...

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I thought the end of Bastion was emotional because it was bitter-sweet.

It was sad because you had two choices:

Reset the world so it wasn't destroyed (risk the problem happening again) but never have met your friends on your adventure.
or
Fly the Bastion off to new places, with your newly found friends but leaving everyone you once knew dead.

I do like contrasts in games. The graphic style of Bastion was cartoony but the themes were bleak.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
thejackyl said:
mraustindude19 said:
Whats the game where the pig fried its self?
Illusion of Gaia for SNES - I recently replayed it after beating it when I was like 11 or 12, and I don't remember getting chills from any scenes from it when I was younger. The entire 2nd half of the game (From Angel Village) sets a different pace than the first half.
Or Illusion of Time if you are European, I loved that game when I was younger, I wish I could play it again but it is one game that has never been re released and that makes me sad.

To be fair the game was pretty sad all the way through, like the ship that is fine and then you go to sleep and it turns out to be a ghost ship, or the guy that gets eaten by a fish and later communicates by banging on a cave wall, says he's ok despite being eaten by a fish. And the ending is the most bittersweet thing ever.

Hey, thejackyl, are you named after the villain from the game?

Thanks Jim, I didn't think I could love you more, then you post a picture from this game. You sir are awesome. Good luck in your new career as the new Elton John.

Anyway, I've written a lot so far so sorry for that but before someone brought up Illusion of Time/Gaia, I had a point to make. I've said so many times that the funeral scene in Valkyria Chronicles has made me cry before. And I think the reason for that is that Isara is such a strong, happy character who finally gets Rosie to stop being a ***** and see that her views are misguided and then is killed off. First time I saw that it was such a shock, then Rosie sings at the funeral, tears were shed. Ok, yeah its a bit cheesey as RPG's tend to be, but I still found it to be a moving part of the game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sorry Jimmy my boy, but I must protest. Every Final Fantasy after and including 8 (possibly even 7) has been progressively shittier than the one before it. I see your point about the emotional state of games, but your argument falls flat due to too many references to an officially dead and failed franchise. "It's neither dead nor failed! They're still making games and they're awesome!" FFXIII 1 through 3 beg to differ. Yes, they're still making games, but blast a turkey with a shotgun and it'll keep running and flopping around for a bit...doesn't mean it'll be getting up and flying again any time soon.

The death of Final Fantasy occured when they decided to exchange CGI movies, better graphics in general, and voice acting for the good writing of the past (FF's 1 through 6 and including the original Tactics).

That said, if you play piano half as well as you can ride an exercise bike in your underwear, you could out-perform Elton John any day. :3

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Why does "emotional" have to mean depressing? Is "happy" not an emotion anymore? Yes, like all of you, that bit from MGS3 with the Boss got me down, but that's to have me (the player) feel what Snake felt, and it was balanced out by the funny radio talks with SIGINT and Para-Medic, and the cheesy Bond-theme song. And I dare you NOT to feel anything at all from playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, especially the parts with Bumblebee and Metroplex.

I have a message to all the game devs who insist on making everything so grim 'n' gritty start to finish:
http://youtu.be/ly1al4K3u2M

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
Tidus' laugh in that bit does sound clumsy, and forced. But do you know why? Because it was, objectively, a clumsy and forced laugh. He wasn't laughing for ordinary reasons, he was trying to kill his dreary mood. To say it was a problem based on bad voice acting is to take the scene out of context.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Nice to see you showed Mother 3 as an example, that game does tragedy perfectly, you really do feel for the characters when something bad happens, and though some of it is kinda predictable the fact that most of the game is so happy, cheerful and full of bizarre humour makes the tragedy even more noticeable, not to mention the way the characters act feels so real, my mind was blown with the opening act, seriously that game is awesome.
[sopiler= BUT >Ending SPOILERS!!!!<]Does it only have 1 ending because the one I got was kinda depressing, pffft, everybody dies, and I replayed that battle a shit load of times and chose all the different answers I could and I still only got that ending.[/spoiler]

Also about Elton John, Why wasn't he at the olympics?
Seriously I was waiting for him to show up during the entirety of the opening and closing ceremonies.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Dammit, now I can't post the laugh thing anymore and giggle at all the responses going (OMG HOW HORRIBLE I FORGOT ABOUT THAT PART).

Now it won't be new and fresh anymore.

Thank god for jim :(

Katya Topolkaraeva

Dec 9, 2010
loved that last bit with with Elton john. awesome. have fun! don't cry too hard if he forgets to give you your rightful inheritance!

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012

Quite possibly the best Jimquisition ever. Well done, sir. Well done. I never even liked Zidane much, but you're so right. He's much more interesting than Squall could ever dream of being.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I'm surprised no mention of Call of Duty.

The Modern Warfare franchise seems to be a great example of how to and how not to create an emotional scene.

The time in the first modern Warfare where the player climbs out of the downed helicopter after the nuke goes off was a moving scene because it ran counter to the all powerful super soldier fantasy the game had been building the entire time.

The subsequent versions show how the franchise stumbled upon the quality of that scene since they kept trying to recreate it, often through the exact same manner (i.e. killing the player.)

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
For the record for those who didn't play or just don't remember... Tidus' laugh was supposed to be that terrible. It was supposed to be forced, awkward and just... all around wtf.

There's your context for the scene, hopefully it helps it a little bit.

back to the topic, good episode jim. Emotional variance is the only real way to create a living, breathing character in a game.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
portal_cat said:
what about Mass Effect 3? It was really sad when Thane died (or at least it was for me).
I went there too...and my jubilation at getting to kill Kai Leng...that fucker had it coming.

I am still mad about ME3, but it certainly did some things so incredibly well!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
This was a great episode. Normally, the style he uses (He acts like an overly confident, arrogant ass) makes it so that when I disagree with him, its grating and insufferable, and when I agree with him, it feels like a shallow, back slapping ego trip on my part. I know he is just playing a character, but the sense is still there. But this episode didn't seem to have that, and the point seems pretty much indisputable: I don't see many people disagreeing with the idea that you need to establish a baseline, happy status quo to appreciate a fall into tragedy. That's pretty straightforward character arc. So yes, this is a wonderful episode. Its a huge, glaring deficiency in game storytelling that fixing could improve tremendously.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
templar1138a said:
I'll take your word for it with the Final Fantasy games. I have zero interest in them.

Here's an example of a game I've played that supports your idea.
The death of Hawke's mother was the most tragic moment I've seen in a game. There were plenty of light-hearted moments throughout the whole game that, at worst, had undertones of worry, sadness, or dread in order to offset the deaths of his family members and some of the other tragic moments, such as killing off Merrill's entire clan in self-defense.
In my play through, Bethany died. It was one of the saddest things that has ever happened in any game I have played because I tried so damn hard to save her and I couldn't. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

On the other hand I didn't care much for Fenris' plight because he was always a mopy jerk, so there.

Now I remember why I loved DA2.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
lets not forget final fantasy 6! no im not gonna spoil it go look it up! ....alright here's an example: cyan's family and the humor before it