Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i actually prefer when my issues with a game stem from dlc and microtransactions and such, i can just not buy those and still feel good about having bought the game.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
So either Jim is an EA sell out or he has bad taste in games!!!11

R.I.P. Jimquistion

(Edit: That was the worst episode of this show that I've ever seen...)

Darquenaut

Feb 22, 2010
I distinctly remember getting Dead Space 1- it was a good deal afterwards its initial release and had gotten into the $20 range. It looked interesting, but I wasn't hooked. It wasn't until I had a friend tell me how scary it was that I gave it a second look. So, one night around 1am, and myself having nothing better to do in town and on a pretty sizable caffeine kick - the kind where everything is fuzzy around the edges, but you're too awake to fall asleep, I went on a Wal-Mart crawl and on a whim bought it, finding it in a dimly-lit back-aisle. I honestly wasn't expecting too much.

I spent the next week playing through the game. I could only play one or two levels at a go. Not because I was so scared by it or anything, but damn if that was not one of the most tense gaming situations I've ever played in. Keep in mind, I decided to play the game on Hard with only the Plasma Cutter. Right from the get-go, no previous experience with the game. And that is pretty much what stuck with me with this game- not so much how scary the enemies were, but the ever-present sense of dread I had, having no clue just how badly the game was going to screw with me, and how many times it was going to beat the shit out of me before I broke the odds.

And the more I played it, the more immersed I became with the story. This was a game that had everything there before you- this wasn't one of those game that dropped three pages of exposition that you had to pause, read for two minutes and then get back in the game. It was all happening in real-time, and it all played out before you. And the plot itself I always feel saddened for if only because there are always the people that look at the game and say "dumb shooter" but don't even realize just how fleshed out the story itself is through all of the other transmedia out there.

So, I digress, thanks Jim for the video. Definitely looking forward to getting my copy come Tuesday.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I might pick up dead space sometimes jim do you prefer the pc version or the console version?
I hope that when dead space 3 fails to sell 5 million copies ea wont kill the franchise.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Was never interested in Dead Space, after this vid however I might give it a try next time i want to play a AAA game third person shooter.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well I can't always agree with Jim. I have no hate for Dead Space as an IP but I also have no love for it. The game is just average for me. I love games with pacing but DS for me was so eager to show me how cool their monsters were they took out all the tension for me. Still I hope EA doesn't kill them with that must make 5 million dollars crap.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ill look forward to your review for DS3 on Destructoid then.

Seems youre well suited to administer the seal of approval should Visceral prove able to stand up and deliver on thier promises.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I must admit, I never really got into Dead Space...

I played the first one, I found it alright to be honest, not great and not terrible...

My issue is that the "Horror" is mostly jump scares and attempts to make you panic through overwhelming, but none of that phased me... Jumps scares are terrible (Even more so when you can spot which vents things are going to pop out from a mile away) and I never really feared becoming overwhelmed due to the gun you starting with being so powerful (Out of all the weapons I tried, that first one was far superior with its capacity to take off limbs and the amount of ammo you'd get for it, especially if you didn't buy any new weapons)

The only part that really caused tension for me is when that unkillable beast was released whom could block off sections and could also enter the "Safe" zones... But that one part trying to bring in tension for an entire game?

I suppose if DS2 and DS3 go further away from the "Horror" and focus more on a "Survival Shooter" then it could be pretty good (Though I'm not sure if that genre is my cup of tea to be honest)

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
I'm a big fan of the combat system of Dead Space. Everything feels so goddamn satisfying, and is in my humble opinion the pinnacle of the horror action genre. Also love the hud, just everything about it. My only gripe is how the dynamic laser sight of dead space 1 was removed in two and three.

As for best new I.P of this generation, I would be inclined to give it to Mass Effect But hey, to each their own

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
Good video as always Jim. I've only recently played the first Dead Space a few months ago, and will probably pick up Dead Space 2 in the near future.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/
Sorry :(
Hopefully it's less of a downer than you buying the game and finding the game barely works. Of course I could just be unlucky but as far as I can tell the consensus is that the port is awful: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space

Jbowdown

Feb 19, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

I wouldn't sweat buying it for the PC. I have the Steam version and my rig didn't generally have any of the issues that Ilikemilkshake had. But I can't deny that the problems don't exist for various users, because every rig is different (both in hardware and actively running software). The mouse didn't bother me since I did play it with a XBox controller for the 'console' feel. It's my personal preference, but many of these types of single player games I prefer to sit back with a controller vs. leaning over my keyboard.