Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Sylocat said:
*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"
Just like pretty much all "content" here, he is poached off another site. Guess Destructoid didn't want to part with any of their good staff.

MikeCrick

Jan 4, 2011
Maybe it's just that he shares my opinion but this is an improvement for me Jim. This one was a statement against the established order of things that hasn't really been said enough. I like CoD as a nice action packed distraction from the normal types of games I play (RPGs & Story heavy games mainly).

Yeah, I tire of CoD at times too but ultimately it has a good enough story (for popcorn action) and the multi-player is quite enjoyable. I say that as a guy who rarely plays online and sticks strictly to the single player campaign most of the time. Think of that what you will.

Still think you might be going more over-the-top with the persona than you need to Jim, but this video shows you do have some good points to make and aren't afraid to voice them. Not a fan yet, but this brings me closer to being one.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
TestSubject4 said:
I think COD:MW was a great game, But I never went so far as to buy the other two. I play them a lot at friends places but there is no way I could justify 130 dollars for what looks and feels like an expansion. Oh and top work on ripping on the games must be art crowd.
Pretty close to what I was going to comment. The original CoD: MW rocked my socks off. It was fast-paced, had a great story, and exponentially tightened up the gameplay the franchise needed, as well as sporting a fantastic multiplayer. Needless to say, it sold millions.

The only reason I'm starting to despise the franchise as a whole is due to its stagnation of the gaming market and industry. Since the games sell like hotcakes, it tells developers that this is the only type of game people will buy. Now, I love every other FPS just like the next person, but I draw the line as to how many I need to play. I know so many people irl who only play CoD and refuse to play anything else. They will only buy that game.

Because of this, the fact that there's a new release of a new CoD every year means that it will eat up everyone's attention (and money, for that matter) and force them away from new and original IPs released around the same time. Sure, some of them sell O.K., but the fact remains that the only way to get to a consumers heart is by releasing a rehash of the same formula we've played 4 years ago with a $60 price tag slapped on it instead of something brand-new.

It makes me sad to think where this will all take the game industry.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
My personal problem with the game was the result of bugs and exploits in Modern Warfare 2. Because of such things, I often found myself frustrated far more often than I was having fun. Having now played 6 CoD games, I feel I have seen what they can do and I am simply not interested anymore.

Apature_Science

Mar 18, 2011
Namewithheld said:
I loved Modern Warfare. It was the sequel whose patently stupid plot really drove me insane. Bleck. And Black Ops was just insulting.

First one was great though.
Too right. The original Modern Warfare made some sobering points on the nature of warfare and terrorism (as well as blowing stuff up), the sequal was the Tea Party's wet dream.

PS I liked the Blops canpaign, but only because of the Cold war/'Hunt for Red October' style confusing story line.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Alexnader said:
Art Axiv said:
Jim reads the Escapist I see. He takes upon some discussed topics to troll everyone with at the beginning - quite funny in my opinion. Also Jim, no, COD didn't invent unlockables in FPS - Battlefield franchise did. Much earlier. Just saying.. not like there is an internet argument to be won.
Irrespective of who invented it first his point was that Call of Duty "popularised" the mechanic. My problem with that is that CoD didn't popularise unlocks because it handled them in a new or particularly good way. It "popularised" them because CoD itself was already crazy popular and it happened to have unlocks in multiplayer. Battlefield handles unlocks in almost the exact same way but we don't see Jim crediting it.
It's exactly like saying Avatar popularized CG. I said the exact same thing as you did in a post before that, and yes, I agree with you Alexnader.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
So far I've thought that this guy was fairly obnoxious, but I think it was because there was no background video to go along with it. Not having to stare at him almost yelling into the camera for 6 minutes made me like it a little more. This brought several good points to my attention, as I normally like to look down on COD. And the comment about Activision and the $15 map packs made me lol.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Ehhhh. Nah, this show really isn't doing it for me. I think I just don't like how Jim presents his arguments. He's too antagonistic and aggressive.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I actually quite liked this episode and you made some fair points but I still wont become a regular view because I just don't really like your style. I get your style, I just don't like it... And you made such an awful first impression, it's really quite hard to shake that off. I will watch a few more before I discredit the show entirely

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Good episode,

Highlights just how bad the Hipsterdom has hit the VG industry

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
Firstly, thanks for taking on the "Farmville is ruining everything!!" idea, which I'm starting to get sick of myself.

However, I have to disagree with the main point here. The fact that you immediately started to talk about the online multiplayer is revealing- that's obviously the seat of the Modern Warfare series' appeal. And that's fine. I totally agree that Modern Warfare has improved competitive online gaming. I welcome the fact that many other developers are copying them for their own online components.

My problem with the series is that I don't play shooters online- I'm not good at them and I don't enjoy them- instead when I buy an FPS I'm looking for a compelling single player experience, and Modern Warfare does not deliver that.

In terms of gameplay, I found Modern Warfare to be a dull, tiring slog through an endless corridor of identical shooting galleries. In this regard I absolutely do not appreciate the copy-cat developers- Killzone 3, for example, was a real chore to play at times because it did the same thing. The only reason I kept going was because I enjoyed the games' visual style.

Then there's the story.

The post-nuke scene is interesting. That was a genuinely innovative and compelling moment. So was the bit at the start where you play as the president being executed. So was the airport bit from Modern Warfare 2. But here's the thing: everything else in the narrative is total shit.

After half an hour of playing Modern Warfare I was sick of hearing that the LZ is Hot, I was sick of having gruff military stereotypes scream at me, I was sick of the game trying so hard to convince me that my comrades are Stone Cold Badasses. I resented the fact that I was virtually taking part in what might as well be a representation of a real war occurring at the time where enemy cities are devoid of civilians and invasions are heroic battles against swarms of identical bad guys. I hated the fact that half the time I had no idea who I was fighting or why it even mattered because the game did such a poor job of contextualizing anything happening on screen.

And I'm fucking sick of seeing all that stuff in everyone else's games as well. To go back to the example of Killzone 3, that game had the potential to be so much more. Here you were fighting on an alien planet in the far future. The two opposing sides were made up from whole cloth- they could have been whatever the developer wanted, but instead we just got Space Americans vs Space Nazis. Now the Nazi thing isn't CoD's fault- the tendency for developers to make their villains lazy evil stereotypes goes back much further- but I fully blame CoD's influence on how shallow the story felt. I still have PTSD style flashbacks at the gung-ho "heroic" speeches the main characters start spouting toward the end.

Jacksaw Jack

Mar 17, 2011
Problems with CoD: Bugs, bugs, bugs, spawn issues, more spawn issues, overpriced DLC...yep that's most of it.

And a personal grief: Bullet Penetration can go fuck itself. Damn Wall Sprayers. It's one thing if they see you run pass a window/door/hole-in-wall, but people who just drop a 200 round mag in to a random wall and wait for the hit markers to pop up pisses me off.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Apature_Science said:
Namewithheld said:
I loved Modern Warfare. It was the sequel whose patently stupid plot really drove me insane. Bleck. And Black Ops was just insulting.

Too right. The original Modern Warfare made some sobering points on the nature of warfare and terrorism (as well as blowing stuff up), the sequal was the Tea Party's wet dream.

PS I liked the Blops canpaign, but only because of the Cold war/'Hunt for Red October' style confusing story line.
I just...

ARRGH

I HATE THE BLOPS CAMPAIGN WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND RAGING SUNS!

It was insulting to history, common sense, and my own intelligence.

I mean, EVERY OTHER GUN IN THE FUCKING GAME WASN'T INVENTED UNTIL YEARS, or sometimes DECADES after the game started.

And the fucking ACOG sights that kept showing up?

The ACOG wasn't invented until TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT.

Almost FORTY YEARS AFTER BLOPS STARTED!

ARARIABUSEJIKOASHGUK DSAJINUXDK{s.
'D<L:M SHAOFGDASBfnjmklAS:"D,mknjsh

Plus, you have a game that takes place at the height of the 60s and 70s and they barely had ANY period specific music...

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Namewithheld said:
Apature_Science said:
Namewithheld said:

I just...

ARRGH

I HATE THE BLOPS CAMPAIGN WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND RAGING SUNS!

It was insulting to history, common sense, and my own intelligence.

I mean, EVERY OTHER GUN IN THE FUCKING GAME WASN'T INVENTED UNTIL YEARS, or sometimes DECADES after the game started.

And the fucking ACOG sights that kept showing up?

The ACOG wasn't invented until TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT.

Almost FORTY YEARS AFTER BLOPS STARTED!

ARARIABUSEJIKOASHGUK DSAJINUXDK{s.
'D<L:M SHAOFGDASBfnjmklAS:"D,mknjsh
Of all the things wrong with that game's campaign, the historical inaccuracy is what strikes you as shocking?

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
*sigh*

Y'know... when this guy is making points and arguing his case he actually comes across as intelligent, reasonable and articulate.

But then he goes and peppers it with that juvenile strawman crap. It's like a kid in a playground going "nyah nyah nyah". He is not helping his case. Because now when I think of CoD fans, I'm not going to be thinking of swearing 12 year olds, I'm going to be thinking of this guy in his flower hat saying, "Ohhh, all games have to comment on the human condition" in a stupid voice. Which is hardly an improvement.

And yes, I am aware that he does it on purpose and it's not meant to be taken entirely seriously. But at the end of the day, intentionally juvenile and annoying is still juvenile and annoying.

PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!
agreed the over acting makes him look like a fat pompous douchebag. a fat pompoud douchbag with a point however. also, black ops wasent so bad? a bit mindfucky possibly, and they did hop all over the place in time, but so do books..

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
diebane said:
I agree with you, Jim, except for one statement:

I dislike the advantages (more perks, weapons, etc.) an experienced player has. You covered this in the video and stated that it was not any different than an experienced player in i.e. Quake. I disagree.

A player (let's call him Dave) that gets wrecked in Quake because of him not knowing where the weapons are is going to want to change that by, for example, looking it up on the internet. If Dave still gets wrecked after that, it is the experience of the better player that gives him the advantage over Dave.

If Dave played Call of Duty, weapon spawn locations don't matter too much (except for some FFA gametypes). Of course, Dave gets wrecked. But this time he can't do anything about that because the advantages of the other players are not (only) based on knowledge (weapon spawns) and game experience, but gametime, too. Sure, if Dave is bad at FPSs he gets wrecked no matter what, but Perks/Weapons/Killstreaks are something that he can't do anything about even if he is decent at gaming.

I hope you get my point.

mfG diiebane

EDIT: Also, I don't buy in the hatred towards younger gamers. I'm sure most of us have played games before we were legally allowed to. What gives us the right to deny those players the game? People who bash little kids for playing CoD (and other games) are most likely Hypocrits.
That's what 'noob weapons' are for. Anyone can get kills with the 'noobtube', it's just that other weapons are more effective if you're more skilled.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
Defending Call of Duty

Very much how men and women of the military defend this nation's freedom overseas, Jim Sterling defends Call of Duty. In many ways, Sterling's cause is more righteous and noble than anything a soldier has ever, ever done.

Watch Video
my one and only complant with COD MW and MW2 is i dont like multiplayer and while the single player experiance is great its far too short. if they added on maybe an hour more to the single player it would probily make my top 5 shooters(not MW2 but thats because of story issuses). now i have to man i love this show so keep up the good work:)

slipbreed

Sep 24, 2009
Personaly my problem isn't the serries, I actually have played every CoD from MW to Black Ops. My problem is that the (Hardcore) fans are not open to anny other game then a Triple A game.

I just can't help it to be realy REALY anoyed by it.

other then that, the singleplayer was entertaining enough to be played, also I've tried the multiplayer, but I never realy likd it.
Maybe if CoD had a longer Singleplayer...??

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Since COD4, all the call of duty titles have to differing degrees exhibited excellent visuals and gameplay, if not been slightly weak on the story front. COD4 probably stands out as the best game story-wise and is probably thus far the best COD title. However, since COD all the latter titles have sought to improve and evolve COD4's great multiplayer mode. Some of these changes i really like, others not. At any rate, the multiplayer is great fun, i've rarely found spawning to be much of a problem.

COD-kiddies are annoying, and they can be detrimental to the multiplayer experience, although i wouldn't call them a major problem (from my experience as a PS3 player). The fandom may not be good, but i don't hold that against the game itself. As for COD being milked by Activison....COD was never an "artsy" game, it's a pop-AAA title- and at any rate, that criticism should be aimed at Activision, not the game itself.