Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
COD 4 was awesome, no one is complaining about it, MW2 is the one that is hated, I find it crappy.

And the argument of the newcomer and the expert player is wrong, if a experienced player is using a new account he can lose a fight because of perks, an experienced player in quake can always kick ass.

Newcomers should always expect to get their asses kicked for a bit, its normal, that is why they are called NEWBIES.

PS: Why is the escapist going after pretencious dudes that think that they know "THE THRUGH", seriously, Movie Bob and now this guy. Go watch Extra Credits, they actually teach instead of rubbing useless facts on our faces that prove how great you are.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I don't hate Call of Duty because it's popular. I just don't care for it, mostly because it's a gritty, brown, """"""realistic"""""" game (although I'm not sure if it really is anymore), and also because it's a first-person shooter, and I don't like first-person shooters.

FaithorFire

Mar 14, 2010
retterkl said:
Lol why are you getting angry at CoD because other game studios are copying it? How does that make any sense at all?

I only play CoD:WaW really, because it's the one that I have. Although I can imagine easy ways of improving it, as others are copying CoD therefore making CoD the pioneer on this front i'd say they're doing well.
Who are you talking to?

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I cannot deny Call of Duty is well made, it's slick, it's well produced, every minute is planned and the presentation is flawless. But it is nothing new. It's the honing of a good idea, and I can't fault the game as a game. I can fault it as art though.

Art is rarely about the stimulus and all about the ideas behind it. The ideas behind a game like No More Heroes are to criticise western video game development and explore the "hollow symbols of American culture", the idea behind Call of Duty is to make the next Call of Duty. Maybe some stuff about war being shit but the focus has always been multiplayer, and I doubt artistic vision comes into that. I could be wrong, but I think any analysis of the ideas behind Call of Duty Multiplayer would be deeply misguided.

I liked Black Ops, because there was actually a theme running through that, and it did actually question the medium. Not thoroughly enough to be truly moving, it's not terribly good as art, but it is still a decent theme.

Valoric

May 3, 2010
Ha ha haaa, as if CoD:MW defined modern multiplayer. As stated before, Team fortress is much better in that regard & you mustn't forget about the long running Battlefield series which has been focusing on multiplayer for a decade. So don't give me this crap, if anything they were the first ones to appeal to knuckle draggers & low brow gun fetishistic peeps in America... This is fact so get over it already, we shouldn't stagnate over this old hat argument!

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Not everyone who dislikes call of duty just because it's popular,(although there are a good handful of these people) some just generally don't like it. Although Jim does have 2 really good points. Disliking COD or liking a certain game doesn't automatically make you superior to COD players. And, liking COD doesn't automatically turn people into a dumb jock or an insufferable 1337 gam3r.Overall Jim does have points but, I think he needs to stop attacking COD dislikers.

Edit: I also like to add another good point made by Jim is that it's not exactly Call of duty's fault that other companies try to imitate it. In a perfect world, all companies would try to be original but in the real world, if something is popular, others will imitate it to try to get a small sliver of that popularity.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I've got to totally disagree with Jim. I even feel a little agitated after watching him. He's no Extra Credits.

COD:MW2 has set the standard for games to neglect single-player campaigns in favour of multi-player. As a hater of mankind, I don't play a lot of multi-player. That and it's not fun to get continuously killed by higher ranked heavily armed ninja veterans or being the only blip on the radar as endless predator drones rain down when ever I'm outside. I almost immediately turned off incoming audio after there was some dick with a soundboard.

As for the single-player campaign of MW2, it has interesting moments, but it's a mess of a narrative with holes everywhere. What's with the cold war thing anyway? It's bad enough it has throwbacks to Red Dawn, one of the worst films I've seen (which homefront obviously loved). An interesting counter-point is that they didn't necessarily need a narrative and by adding one at all, shows some effort.

Then the was pricing, they jacked up the cost of the game by £10 and the DLC is extortionate. I only own a copy because I got it free with the console. And now they're realising one every year like a sports title. They don't care about quality, they just want a quick buck.

Mostly though, mostly, my main complaint is the douchebags on youtube. There are just so many...

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
This is the first video on The Escapist that made me miss the simplicity of Pac-Man. Thank you, Jim, for aging me and making me feel even more like my DAD.

Boy did this take some effort to get to watching. I thought the third vid was fine, or at least better from his first two. I guess that this guy has gradually made the transition from angry ranting person angrily ranting about nothing in particular to an incredibly smug person who really has no right to be. He really isn't as good as he thinks he is; he doesn't discuss important or even interesting topics like Extra Credits, doesn't serve a purpose like Movie Bob, and tries way too hard to be hilarious and off the wall, a talent that only Yahtzee can really get away with. As great as Yahtzee is, I don't need an entire magazine of him and people attempting to be him.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Notice how when addressing the opposition he went strait for the stereotypical high-brow gamer as the person who hates COD and who he puposefuly makes seem like a total dick even, but then defends COD players as not being stereotypes and says that they are decent people. I'm not saying that the second statment is untrue, but if part of his argument involves diffusing stereotypes, then he should not use them himself.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
COD doesn't suck to people because its not "arty". Mock the right people Jim, otherwise you just come of as a tosser.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
despite having a stick so far up his ass that he could lead a parade through Central New York (Which mixed with over-acting is part of the show anyways), I find Jim actually does know what he's talking about.

CoD series is full of good games, and people do like it. It isn't my cup of tea, but I certainly will not mouth off against it like some useless hick that finds any old excuse to bash a perfectly loved game. Closed minded people make me sick...

kroldok

Dec 26, 2010
SvenBTB said:
LMFO, "defending" Call of Duty? It doesn't NEED defending, that's what an army of millions of frat boys and 13 year old tards are for. I know it's somehow a cardinal sin for the rest of us to disagree with them and demand variety, but again, it doesn't need defending.

Once again, another pointless episode of Jimquisition. Please stop this show, it's never been relevant.
While CoD may not need defending, it's players (some of them at least) certainly do.
Every time the "kiddies" and "fratties" scream "WIN" and spew bile over all non-CoD players, everyone else screams "FAIL" and spew bile over all CoD players ("an army of millions of frat boys and 13 year old tards" as i belive they are here represented).

This is the core point of this video, that you simply cannot judge other people based on something as arbitrary as their prefered choice of entertainment, and what it mostly comes down to is a generalisation of a large group of people.
Stating that CoD is populated solely by the groups you mention and hence anyone playing it belongs to one or the other sums up roughly like this:
"CoD players are a bunch of screaming punks, all of them, even the ones I have never played against or heard anything of, I am in fact too busy playing "Real" games like Braid to listen to those silly people telling me otherwise"
Or to put it another way:
"Videogames will never have the same value as Film/Books/Opera, people who play videogames are morons, I know this for I am insanely posh and play the cello"

I think this needed to be said, it could be that it has been said somewhere else, but I really don't bother with any other gaming sites at the moment so I wouldn't know.

I have played a few FPS titles in my time, starting around Duke Nukem 3D, and my 2 favourites so far are: Painkiller and Deus Ex.
I have not yet played CoD but i simply cannot bring myself to judge those who do before having run into them

Mar 28, 2011
am i the only person who could just turn his brain off and enjoy the COD games?
it's like watching the transformers movie; once i've finished doing stuff and using my brain all day i like to sit down, switch off, and watch a lot of big explosions and simple stories.

bear in mind my favourite movie and games lists tend to be niche cerebral stuff that either no-one's ever heard of or everyone else thinks is crap.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Mantonio said:
It's like a videogame version of the Shoe Event Horizon.
Is that an obscure reference to the Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy I spy. man, in my opinion we don't get enough of those around here. Well Done.

On topic, good episode, a little more serious than your last ones, but I think you missed out the most important reason Call Of Duty isn't a bad game, it's because it is just plain good fun. Sure, sometimes the unbalances and glitches can make it frustrating, but the gameplay (especially multiplayer) is good, engaging adrenaline pumping entertainment.

RepeatAfterMe

Feb 27, 2011
Maraveno said:
Couch Radish said:
Well I can't say that Call of Duty is not a absolutely horrible series (I, myself, adored CoD:MW) but I really don't like where Activision is taking the game.

And my problems with the game are (I'm limiting this to the Multiplayer):

1. The players are too bullet-squishy.

I play Team Fortress 2 and Brink, which is probably where this complaint comes from. In the CoD series, if someone is under another person's crosshairs, they're dead. Nevertheless this happens in real life, but it's important to give players a chance to fight back if they're ambushed.

So in CoD, no one really bothers to venture out in groups, because three bullets to the leg can kill you. So people usually just sit in a corner, waiting for some unlucky sort to pass by.

2. No sense of teamwork.

I never get a feeling of teamwork in CoD games. People always seem to go on their own, because there's no real way of defending your team-mates because of how easily they die (See #1)

3. Everyone looks the same.

There's no real differentiating looks between enemies and allies alike. The classes in TF2 are all easily recognizable, as you're near always able to tell what weapon they have and what team they're on (classic red/blue contrast). I can never see this in CoD games.

4. Health regeneration.

Yep, this little nugget again. Another problem with the lack of team-work is this. Medics on multiplayer games are always important, and games winning or losing can be determined by Medics. People will protect them, making an objective for both teams, helping ensure team-work.

But when you can just sit in a corner, suck your thumb for 4 seconds, and grow both your legs back, this can deter team-work and have people go own their own, not needing anyone's help.

While I'm slightly okay with it in single-player games (begrudgingly so), multiplayer games never work with health regen.
Luckily each issue you named is clear in the battlefield bad company games

So

Ehm

[sub] guys I don't know what to do now!
you tell 'm to clap
Like this?
yeah...no but nevermind[/sub]
There are Medics in BC2
Squads create a heavy sense of teamwork
People look different based on their class and faction
Players don't go down nearly as fast as they do in CoD

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
I don't dwell much in the online fps gaming community, so I'm a bit disconnected, but I don't see as much "COD SUCKS!" as seems to be inferred here. But lets tackle things one point at a time.

As for my personal opinion, I think COD was a good game, at least mechanically and entertainment value-wise, my problem is its almost Madden-like spawn. COD 4 worked great, but then we got Modern Warfare 2 and Black ops, games which, for me, look almost incredibly identical. I can't imagine people buying these games for the single player campaigns, so I tend to look at them as $60 multi-player updates. In that regard, if people are repulsed by $15 map packs, why are $60 Map, gun, and slight graphical changes more acceptable?

In terms of the community, whenever a game gets big, some percentage of its community are going to be loud, annoying jerks. The FPS community has never exactly been stellar, and this game doesn't revolutionize people's attitudes. But in fairness, no, it isn't polite to start judging people just because they play it. But it starts creating a small preconception in my mind, much the same that I look at people who buy yearly sports games and wonder what small hint of madness exists about them to cause that compulsion.

As for the Perks, and style of gameplay? I think my favorite FPS ever was still Counter-Strike. There were no guns around the map, you picked your own at the start of each round, and there were no perks to make one player different than another. While I'm not writing off perks, or anything like that, I'm just citing a game that had a method of play that I found really enjoyable.

Take my opinions for what they are though, because console communities and FPS's (specifically, online competitive fpsing) have rarely been my particular flavor of gaming.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
the people that hate CoD, are the people that suck at CoD.

although as someone mentioned before, there are other things that might make you hate it, like poor customer service.

as for the 'outrageous DLC prices' case, if you cant afford it, dont buy it, trust me it doesnt take anything away from your experience, i dont buy ANY CoD DLC anymore.

Art Axiv said:
COD didn't invent unlockables in FPS - Battlefield franchise did. Much earlier.
but CoD made it famous, dont you see? thats what he was saying.