Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I was expecting improvements on the show, even went back to the Jimquisition youtube days and nothing really changed thus far.
Guess I haveto call quits on this.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Never did like the Call of Duty games, particularly Modern Warfare, but only because I thought it emulated Tom Clancy and military fetishism a bit too much for my tastes (and the gameplay seemed pretty standard of post-Halo shooters to me), and only gained a slight appreciation of it in hindsight when thinking about the little touches (the Marine who puts on a hip-hop CD after you capture the broadcasting tower, the nuke level, etc.). Also never tried it's multiplayer, but that skill system does sound a bit more interesting than "Quick, find the RPG" that you get in most shooters.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
retterkl said:
Lol why are you getting angry at CoD because other game studios are copying it? How does that make any sense at all?

I only play CoD:WaW really, because it's the one that I have. Although I can imagine easy ways of improving it, as others are copying CoD therefore making CoD the pioneer on this front i'd say they're doing well.
This was my thought as well. If people are so influenced by your work that they create things that are very similar, doesn't that mean it's pretty good? Tons of bands tried to be as awesome as the Beatles, does that mean the Beatles are shit?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Dear Jim Sterling:

Thank. You.

I had gotten to the stage where I was almost afraid of openly expressing a fondness for CoD on this site as well as others on the same level as a homosexual coming out to his staunchly Catholic parents. TBF I have heard plenty of perfectly reasonable reasons for disliking it, (mind you, most of those are connected to Activision's handling of the series, which you did pick up on), but there certainly is no shortage of the more shitty breeds of argument.

I do however, think that in regards to single player WaW, MW2, and BO all sky-dived in quality when compared with the first MW, and as for multi-player I prefer Halo's way of doing things, but just because Call of Duty isn't the gaming version of the Mona Lisa doesn't mean that it isn't fun and that everyone who plays it is a drooling retard.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Godammit Jim, I love you more with every jab you take at this community of twatdonkeys.

Seriously its like he's trolling, only he makes good points, which makes said twatdonkeys even more infuriated.

In all seriousness though, people dislike being told what they enjoy is shit. This is why the elitists in the Escapist community (and other sites I won't mention) like to flock around and form circle-jerks around what is accepted as their favorite titles. Likewise, when they are told to dislike something by the hivemind, they will line up to defecate on said thing without thought.
I was thinking this as well lol, Jim seems to be masterfully trolling the escapist.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Art Axiv said:
COD didn't invent unlockables in FPS - Battlefield franchise did. Much earlier.
but CoD made it famous, dont you see? thats what he was saying.
Because Battlefield games are not popular.. and no, unlockables can't be why CoD is successful - if anything its the whole package it serves the gamer. I have to say Modern Warfare 2 was executed excellently.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Ukomba said:
He seems awfully but sore over this.
I would too if I was insulted just because of my preferences in video games.

Seriously, CoD Lover? What kind of forums have you been on Jim? Still, nice video. You're starting to rub off on me a bit.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
I see your point here but I still can't stand CoD for its' mimicking of Madden. MW1 was an amazing game because it broke from the model of every shooter game being about WWII and had a decent story. MW2 was an overblown roster update and every CoD has been the same since.

I think that the FPS has benefited from CoD but needs to strike a balance between the more balanced weapons of CoD and the more fun and differentiated weapons of Halo.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Jim, your humor is not effortless. Just look at you - you're donning a fucking lady's makeup to offend people. That is trying too hard. And I'm not even going into you over-emphasizing every point you're trying to bring across.

Yahtzee brings forward issues not one is critical enough to ***** about while actually being funny. Bob has an obscene amount of knowledge on archaic pop cultural phenomenon. The Extra Credits folks actually make constructive criticism on the game industry. You... are just reiterating what we know already, while painting all those folks who tend to dislike the franchise with the same stereotype (I, for example, dislike the last 2 CoD sequels because the ports were utter shit on the PC). And it doesn't help your credibility when you say that you got into online gaming only after CoD4, or saying BlOps has a good narrative while stating in your review that The Witcher 2's story was dull.

I really don't see a niche for you here.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Jim, your humor is not effortless. Just look at you - you're donning a fucking lady's makeup to offend people. That is trying too hard. And I'm not even going into you over-emphasizing every point you're trying to bring across.

Yahtzee brings forward issues not one is critical enough to ***** about while actually being funny. Bob has an obscene amount of knowledge on archaic pop cultural phenomenon. The Extra Credits folks actually make constructive criticism on the game industry. You... are just reiterating what we know already, while painting all those folks who tend to dislike the franchise with the same stereotype (I, for example, dislike the last 2 CoD sequels because the ports were utter shit on the PC). And it doesn't help your credibility when you say that you got into online gaming only after CoD4.

I really don't see a niche for you here.
Quoted for truth. I have been refusing to watch this show since the first penis fest episode.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I've only played Modern Warfare 2 and I'm not particularly a fan of the series in general.

I don't think they're terrible games though (although possibly a little creatively uninteresting). To give credit where it's due - the snow level early on in MW2 was fantastic to experience and the co-op missions are great fun to play with friends.

Megatron82

Oct 14, 2009
Well Jim ill tell it like it is bro.. when CoD4 come out i was like huh cool till i played the hardcore mode that mode is smashed you get sand in your eyes and you die.. you stub your toe and you die a bee fly's in and stings you and u die.. and it don't take a long time to unlock things like in BF2 or BF;BC2 you can hit 50 in less then a week same with w@w black ops this to me what makes the game uncool and bad to me CoD2 was the best now its nothing to me at all.

BF3 will kill mw3 end of Story

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

Right the CoD series itself used to be a good reliable base of games that would generally be good without to much of oa problem and the people of its original fan base would happily look forward to the next one without any hesitation or doubt or growing sense of boredom.

Since CoD4 this has changed because it is now just a complete clusterfuck with perks that are simply stupid due to their very nature (last stand, martyrdome etc) that offer shite players a rediculous unfair advantage while also allowing people with skill be outmatched by a complete asstard at the game with the P90, FAMAS or its equivalent due to how unbalanced the weapons/perks/killstreaks are.

However on the opposite of end of the spectrum it allows people who are also reasonably good at the game to dominate everyone on the field without any effort because of the perks effectively fucking over everyone in the middle ground who play the game enough to be better then half but not enough to be considered a "pro" at the game. What i mean by this is killstreaks such as the AC-130 which is just a free get 10 kills now allowing them if they're careful enough to dominate everyone in the field again and lock down an entire team. I have seen a vid of a team litterally run out dominate the enemy team and then lock them down in spawns (due to non random spawn placements and poor map design) with the use of AC-130's attack choppers and airstrikes/sentry guns. I think the game ended on a like 200-300 kills on one side and 5 on the other.

Right thats general balance out of the way now onto marketing. Again CoD was at its pinacle at 4 (some claim 2 but i personally don't like bolt action unless im sniping which i rarely do and i say this because everything else at top tier for this game was unviable) because it released map packs for free and there wasn't any of this bullshit map packs where if you didn't buy them it would forcibly kick you out of the lobby for not having them. This is the worst kind of marketing for add-ons (don't get me wrong developers can develop extra stuff for a game and have my approval as long as its big enough by itself to warrant a price like shivering isles for oblivion and not like the horse armour in the same game) as its the equivalent of the DRM for assassins creed and some other ubisoft games where they required that you have a permanent internet connection to their servers to keep a constant verification and if you didn't have it they would shut down your game and also they would stop you from playing your game if their servers went down. This is money grabbing at its lowest and is a mark of a shite series.

Next is the inability of Activision to learn that Treyarch was a shite company to develop the CoD series because if you look at theur history (CoD 3, CoD 5 and BLOPS) CoD 3 was widely regarded to be the worst out of the series out of general consensus. CoD 5 had a bit of a bad draw because it came after 4 and so was being compared to at what that time was considered gold dust to new/casual/regular/hardcore gamers but the things that its most remebered for is the side game that came with it i.e. the Zombie mode. This is like Tekken Tag being remembered for its bowling simulator as it shows how crap the rest of the game was because even the zombie mode in that was still a bit crap compared to other survival action games of that time such as left 4 dead and hell even resident evil. For BLOPS i have to say this is the best of the series they have created so far as it seems they have made an attempt at balance and decent maps and a passible story line for the single player it still shit though when compared to infinity wards earlier creations when put into context for that era.

Now my last part of my rant is just on one particular dick move pulled not by Treyarch because they weren't dicks (they are annoying for having continued the series) they are just bad game developers. It was in MW2 when they pulled Dedicated servers in favour of P2P connections. This was a terrible idea it completely and utterly alienated the remnents of the hardcore gaming community which is one of the core playerbases they had from CoD's 1-5 since they could no longer play tournaments with mods that allowed balance on servers that they know are reliable(i.e. removing the more bullshit perks while also limiting the amounts of snipers and also removing weapons that are complete and utter bullshit such as the P90 (a weapon with no recoil a fucking ace iron sight massive fire rate and also reasonable damage. It could be used to out snipe snipers easily and out gun assault rifles at mid range))
It also inhibited the communities by not allowing people to join a server they want to knowing who will be on and becoming friends with people through general recognition rather then just skill level and whether they come off as a dick or not at first through speaking. I joined my clan through joining a server and playing on it a lot because i liked their style of play (i played 2142 when i joined them). Removing dedicated servers prevents all of this and will generally lower everyones enjoyment. Also the lack of admins makes it impossible to remove people on demand when you know they are hacking rather then just having to wait for everyone to bother voting against them after they have been killed several times with headshots with a pistol from half way across the map.

Also the general alienation of their original playerbase by community managers and higher ups within infinity ward effectively destroyed their reputation as a games company for people who play games more then once a week and also created a trend for other games companies to follow which is just fucking stupid and hte only games company that seems to be trying to break it is stunningly enough is EA with BF3 being developed by DICE (despite their CoD clone called BFBC:2 which was stunningly shit). As this game promotes teamwork and squading up with others for success rather then becoming rambo and dying constantly and having instant respawns and regenerating red jam.

So to sum it all up it isn't CoD becoming so big that gave it such a bad reputation within the gaming community its them becoming big then leaving a massive fuck you in the form of MW2 and continued shiteness ever since CoD4 plus bad handeling of general PR. All I can say is that there was a reason why there was a boycott of Activision products in general now because of this (i personally don't follow that but i still refuse to buy all CoD's now out of principle) and although this doesn't dent a game like CoD which is so engrossed in its part time player base that it doesn't matter if the more serious gamers do so since they are out numbered. Whether i or you like it or not (i hate it) its simple business go for the larger market if possible.

One last thing though Some of you if you are still bothering to read this might have noticed that I didn't mention anything about the communities of each platform and their regard for this game. I didn't because one generalising people based on what games they play isn't a good basis to start from and two, i know that most PC gamers who have played CoD excessivly in the competative scene with PROMOD in CoD4 (and generally have a better idea of how the game works and how it should be balanced then the average player) and before (like me who was a low-mid player on the competative scene which means i could generally join any pub game and rape face up to the top of the leaderboard without any problems) will have stopped playing it for general disdain and off handed manner to us presented by Activision and lack of balance and dedi servers and other things i have mentioned above.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
diebane said:
I agree with you, Jim, except for one statement:

I dislike the advantages (more perks, weapons, etc.) an experienced player has. You covered this in the video and stated that it was not any different than an experienced player in i.e. Quake. I disagree.

A player (let's call him Dave) that gets wrecked in Quake because of him not knowing where the weapons are is going to want to change that by, for example, looking it up on the internet. If Dave still gets wrecked after that, it is the experience of the better player that gives him the advantage over Dave.

If Dave played Call of Duty, weapon spawn locations don't matter too much (except for some FFA gametypes). Of course, Dave gets wrecked. But this time he can't do anything about that because the advantages of the other players are not (only) based on knowledge (weapon spawns) and game experience, but gametime, too. Sure, if Dave is bad at FPSs he gets wrecked no matter what, but Perks/Weapons/Killstreaks are something that he can't do anything about even if he is decent at gaming.

I hope you get my point.

mfG diiebane

EDIT: Also, I don't buy in the hatred towards younger gamers. I'm sure most of us have played games before we were legally allowed to. What gives us the right to deny those players the game? People who bash little kids for playing CoD (and other games) are most likely Hypocrits.
Thats why the developers made those preexisting classes. And they are pretty good, They wont suit your playstyle exactly but they are effective enough to kick some ass. And while kicking some you unlock guns and perks. And kick more ass in the game. Thats what cod 4 did good. MW2 did it even better. And Blops is somewhere in between.

And the reason why kids are so annoying ingame is because they are kids. And kids can be very annoying when something goes wrong according to them. Ask my 3 little brothers about that anyway. Nothing beats seeing your 12yearold brother rage on minecraft because of the creepers :D

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
The voice-overs were good and I agree. The over-acting did not make me laugh, but made me want to claw my eyes out.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Well, there goes the hope that this would be a good series.
Jim, people don't hate Modern Warfare because it's cool, or because it's not artsy, and people don't have a bigoted hatred for anyone who has ever played CoD, as your straw man opponent caricature seems to suggest. My reasons for hating it (based on playing CoD BlOps, which you defended in the video)
* The game play itself ranges from complete shit, in levels where you literally do not need to fire a shot, to pretty bland shooting.
* The game seems downright lazy, with some pretty bad dialog and animations/effects consistently sucking.
* The plot is horrendously idiotic considering that it's supposed to be set in an actual time period.
* The game, at many points, takes control away from the character, either by making them walk slowly, to an area, or taking away certain guns, for almost no reason at all.

As for multiplayer, I can play any of the myriad of shooters out there for that.

Have fun with the series guys, unless a title is provocative enough to grab my attention, I think I'm going to jump ship with this.

Feb 7, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Defending Call of Duty

Very much how men and women of the military defend this nation's freedom overseas, Jim Sterling defends Call of Duty. In many ways, Sterling's cause is more righteous and noble than anything a soldier has ever, ever done.

Watch Video
I know that your statements in the description are not meant to be taken seriously and are supposed to be funny, but that statement is very offensive to servicemen and women everywhere. I understand you are just trying to be funny, but really try not to present yourself as such a douchebag. Also, was the Osama thing supposed to be a joke? 'Cause I sure as hell didn't get it.

MLChanges

Feb 26, 2011
Only problems I've had with CoD (MW more so than Blk ops) is the fact that a guy with a knife can face off and win against a guy with a AK47 and that it's far more effective to "spray and pray" than to line up a proper shot.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
I don't like the CoD multiplayer because i don't find it fun myself. It is not my style of game. Even though I do like fps games mostly, Call of Duty isn't my style. I prefer more arcady fps games.

But just because I don't like it doesn't mean it is bad. I could give reasons why it is unorigional and bland though. Environments that are uninspired. Gameplay that rewards camping. Rewarding time invested with advantages over other players. Killstreaks (one of the stupidest things out there in my opinion)Lack of innovation.

I do think the single player is fun though. I liked the psychological part about Black Ops

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
I've played cod2-cod mw, I use to like them but im just bored. I play BC2 now and like to be an engineer. I have a task to do while shooting people. Thats so much more fun for me.

I tried black ops single player and told my friend that I was sick of just following some guy while he yells at me. I re played brothers in arms so i could be the one yelling.