Jimquisition: Desensitized to Violence

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
"Any sane civilian would be terrified of guns"

I'm sorry Jim, but you sound like a child. No, not because you dislike guns, thats your choice. But the way you implied every gun owner is insane to own a gun is just pathetically ignorant.
Its incredibly distracting in a otherwise very serious discussion.

I'm 22, a CCW holder, and not afraid of my guns including the XD9sc hidden under my belt while typing this message.
Do I respect their power, yes.
In the same way I respect a cars when driving by ignoring or turning off my phone.
I don't goof off when using a gun or car, but I'm not terrified to use them.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Amen to the bit at the end.

The media gets off on violence, they print billions of dollars every time a new psychopathic killer comes along.

Yet somehow the media has the gall to try and blame video games or guns, and completely ignores the most important thing: -That the guy was bat-shit insane-.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hate age checks.
Oh for fucks sake, that. Yea, I don't need to see that. I know what happens, thanks for the warning.

I think the message is clear to people here. The question is how do you let parents, religious (and other) groups, and the news media know that We know that when they try to blame something like games and music that they're really just saying "please don't blame me."
Or do you need to. Nobody ever really takes them too seriously and I think it's because everybody knows how pathetic it is.

As for violence; I like shooters & hacker/slashers but my favorite quick bit of game violence would have to be the Burnout Crash Junction. It doesn't have any blood or people even. You send a car into an intersection to deliberately try and cause the biggest pileup possible. Of course I would be horrified if I were to witness a real life enactment of any of those crashes.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I agree with most of this video, with the exception of one very carefully crafted statement by Jim.

"Any sane civilian would be terrified by guns."

False.

The problem I have with this statement is twofold:

First, it implies that any civilian who is not terrified by guns is insane. I grew up with guns. I hunted (don't anymore), and used it to defend livestock from predators. I am not scared of them in the least, unless someone is pointing it at me with intent. I respect them, because I know what they can do, but scared? No.

Second, it implies that this blanket statement regarding fear of guns is suddenly swept away if someone is paid by the state as a police officer or a soldier. Now, why does this suddenly make a lack of fear of guns okay? Does changing roles change their genetic make-up?

Come on, Jim. I know you're a firm believer in the benevolent mommy state in all situations except the ability to rant on the internet and the meaningless, empty free speech, but I know you can't really believe that.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I don't see what's the big deal is, it's just a grainy old video of someone shooting himself, I've seen far worse stuff. But, eh, maybe I'm just desensitised. Not by video games, of course, but by internet in general.

Off topic: What's the game shown at around 3:10 and again at 4:02?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
I find the movie sad but it didn't shock or really disturb me...I'm wondering if I should be worried about that.
No.
If you got a hard-on like I did, then you should probably get some help. I'm just wondering if I should call the nearest psychiatric facility in my HMO or if I should just go right ahead and call 911.

I'm just kidding of course.

I'm not turning myself in.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
mmmmmmmhhhhhhhhh.................. i know the video is real but, even knowing it my first impresion was "it looks fake" well, i totally agree with the thing about the news giving the publicity to violence, but im more desapointed at myself for my reaction

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
One of the best Jimquisitions I've ever seen. Seriously, I wish there was a way for all those hypocritical windbags at the news stations and the NRA to see this video. I really, really do.

And I assume the age verification was also referring to the dancing flower at the end (a Dafoe-dil - *buh-dum tish). Too bad you left out a warning for that one, Jimbo.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
misterprickly said:
I've been saying this message for years!
People (yes, even kids) know the difference between real and FAKE.

The BIG problem is the news media that constantly repeats the story until it`s engraved on our brains.

Remember Janet Jackson's nipple?
News pundits around America had the same reaction... "I'm appalled,I'm shocked,I'm disgusted, LETS SEE IT AGAIN!"

The same goes for violence; the motto is "SHOCK SELLS!"
I believe, "if it bleeds it leads", is the age old analogy.

cynik

Nov 6, 2009
NinjaDC said:
"Any sane civilian would be terrified of guns"

I'm sorry Jim, but you sound like a child. No, not because you dislike guns, thats your choice. But the way you implied every gun owner is insane to own a gun is just pathetically ignorant.
Its incredibly distracting in a otherwise very serious discussion.

I'm 22, a CCW holder, and not afraid of my guns including the XD9sc hidden under my belt while typing this message.
Do I respect their power, yes.
In the same way I respect a cars when driving by ignoring or turning off my phone.
I don't goof off when using a gun or car, but I'm not terrified to use them.
I have written the same thing here, but watch it, there are some users that may knock you unconcious with their way of seeing this, I for example have been called "mad".

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I've seen people die before, in video; real people, really dying. I've also seen, in my own life, a dead person (though I've never had to watch someone I care about, or not, die, fortunately). Needless to say, I have "killed" countless people, aliens, monsters, robots, animals, even some children, in video games. I still skipped the part with the suicide. I don't want to see it, the thought of someone taking their own life makes me sad enough, without having to actually see it. I could watch it, I feel I'd deal with it, and be able to move on from it; I know I have in the past, but I don't want to see someone die again, particularly by their own hand in such a violent manner. The thought still saddens me.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Desensitized to Violence

snip

Watch Video
This was a good one Jim. Very articulate and to the point. I've seen your older jimquisition stuff on youtube before you came here and I can't remember if it was from you or someone else, but I've seen that clip before. It was disturbing then and it is disturbing now.

Good video.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
That footage really messed me up.

Really nice video Jim, it's nice to see people stand up to this shit.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Video... unnecessary... but it proves a point... I was like ewww.... but yeah... NRA? American Rifle's Association? the people who said it's OK to own armor piercing bullet when hunting? the same people who said SMG is for self defence? yeah...

Don't blame the people who hand the guns to the murders, but blame the most popular media; competitor of the TV industry!~ I think game companies should start joining on the political side, and start lobbing like the TV media industries do!~ we might just get to be MORE popular and WE TOO can point our fingers at the sub sub cultures too!

"Blame casual game for our downed economy because too many workers play them at work!"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Jimothy Sterling said:
Vault Citizen said:
I find the movie sad but it didn't shock or really disturb me...I'm wondering if I should be worried about that.
It at least affected you on a negative level. I'm willing to bet those that don't find it disturbing have already been desensitized by some *other* form of vile real-life content. The Internet's pretty full of that stuff!
I too found the video less than disturbing, but I think that just drives your point home further. I have no want or need to hurt someone, and apparently, I'm not sensitive to real violence either. So who does game violence affect then, if both sensitive and insensitive people are uninspired by the real thing? Rhetorical question, but it's one that should be asked to those stupid enough to believe this is an issue.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Point made, and made well. I have no complaints, I merely wish that proving we aren't inhuman freaks to the rest of the world didn't require we show a video of a man killing himself and that we, like everyone else, are affected by it.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Video games not only desensitized me to violence, but actually inspired me to commit violence. Like the other day, when I saw some guy walking along the street, I stabbed him in the neck with my hidden wrist blade, bathed a feather in his blood, then hid in a roof garden. True story.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I wasn't terribly shocked either, though not because I'm completely desensitized to violence. I was one of those kids who would ask for encyclopedias for birthdays and watch real medical footage of surgeries and graphic injuries (both human and animal). I'm currently in my 20s, working in the animal health field, seen (and often been messy with) pretty much every bodily fluid of various colours, seen humans and animals in pain and grief, and assisted in several animal euthanasias. I did have contact with video games before the age of 10 (some violent in nature), though I doubt it did anything negative and substantial.

To add my story among others without going into too much detail...

Almost a year ago, I was in a situation where I was given the option to euthanize an anesthetized (that I personally anesthetized) mouse. I was not told about this, though I'm unsure if it would make a difference. The method of euthanasia was with a more physical method (as opposed to chemically like in dogs and cats), namely cardiac puncture or snapping the neck. The mouse wouldn't have felt a thing and never would've seen it coming. There was a lot of pressure to do so since these people could've potentially been future employers who need people who are able to euthanize a mouse when needed. I couldn't do it, and I feel rotten for being in that situation even today. And because of that I pretty much lopped off $10 per hour from my paycheck, worse working conditions, and in a side of the industry I find to be well-meaning yet greedy. It was a complex situation, but the point still stands that as someone who can mow down soldiers, aliens, and templars without feeling guilty, I still feel the natural, human emotional weight involved with causing harm or death to a living thing.

If I could make a pile of all the enemies I've killed in games (not counting the colossi because that would be cheating), it would nearly reach the moon. I KNOW there is a difference between causing a real death (even a small one) and anything anything in a game. No matter how good the graphics and physics engines are, it's impossible to fully replicate the emotional weight. And many people in the media and public don't see this. I've even talked to people who support things like the game burnings and they still can't understand that. At least now I have Jim to back me up now.

Thank you, Escapist, for allowing this to air.

And of course, thank GOD for Jim Sterling.

...and should I be ashamed for wanting to at least try Spec Ops: The Line after watching this video? I think I made myself sad for asking this question :(

Captcha: Way to go!

Captcha agrees!