Jimquisition: Diversity? LIEversity!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Diversity? LIEversity!

Alternate title could have easily been, "The continued owning of Ubisoft by the righteous James Sterling and anybody with a bloody working brain in their head."

Watch Video

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
After seeing the E3 news and the newest Ubisoft controversy I totally called this week's topic! =D

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, in the case of AC: Unity, do the extra protagonists actually have any impact on the story?

Last i checked, they were not even named.

Also, still not going to stop me from buying Far Cry 4 (pending its PC Certification of Not Shit)

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
When it comes to Assassin's Creed Unity they could've just said that a female protagonist wouldn't have fit with the setting and time period. Sure they could've still made a female protagonist work with that setting and time period, but it would've been a much more valid excuse than saying it's too expensive.
Considering the most famous assassin of the era was a woman that bullshit is so far gone I don't know where to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Corday

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It wouldn't take much work to get a female model in that game surely. We've been able to play as a female in AssCreed since Brotherhood when the multiplayer was introduced up until AssCreed 4. Just take one of those women, decorate them in shiny current gen graphics and hire the voice actress. Unless hiring the voice actress alone would be far too expensive. Ah well.

Still feeling ill, Jim? Sounds like it in the intro and outro.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
This guy hits the bull's eye on what's wrong with Ubisoft's current stream of games.

http://games.on.net/2014/06/ubisoft-game-the-review/

deshadow52

Oct 25, 2010
I don't know how mods feel about reposting something you said on another thread, but I am going to do it here because I think it adds to the big discussion that I know is about to start.

"I am really conflicted by this whole issue. On one hand I can understand why women feel unrepresented in video games on the other hand I feel like at this point Ubisoft just can't win. When it comes to characters in video games, books and movies, I don't look for great female characters I look for great human characters. The problem I have with the whole we want more female characters movement is I just feel like they are so picky. Seriously, if a female character is not exactly what they think a great female character should be, even if they show characteristics of being human, they consider it sexist, misogynist and the best part they will consider it a personal attack on their entire gender. You can't win with these people, we are talking about the kinda people that said Lara Croft going to therapy makes her look weak, the kinda people that say Female Shepard is just too similar to Male Shepard and if any character shows any sort of cleavage, looks weak or is influenced by men of any sort despite any context given, it is thrown in the bad female character pile. If I was a writer of any kind, making a female character would scare the hell out of me because I feel like making one is like getting zero on a roulette wheel. The zero is a female character people want and all the others are condemned.

At this point, if Ubisoft put in a female character it would be half assed and the people that were crying for would then end up unsatisfied and would start complaining all over again and would say well it was better off without the female characters.

well I am looking forward to getting all the replys on what a horrible person I am, but I believe there is a lot of truth of what I said. I want more diversity in games too, but not in the same way most people are, at least what I seen on twitter anyway. I am also not saying that developers shouldn't put female characters in games nor do I think what i said was the only reason female characters are not put in games because I know there many reasons/excuses."

I will also add that yes what Ubisoft said was incredibly stupid and it was a bad excuse or they had another one, but decided that one was better than the one they had. Also I am not saying that Ubisoft or anybody shouldn't try to make female characters, more like people should being picky and over analyzing the characters that exists. The only way female characters are ever going to be more of a thing is that the attitudes of female characters needs to be changed by both developers and gamers.

Edit: also one thing I forgot to add, going around to every developer and asking for female characters and then going on a rage fest on twitter because of the answer given isn't going to make much progress, or at the very least it does more harm than good.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Evonisia said:
Still feeling ill, Jim? Sounds like it in the intro and outro.
Yeah, bit of a relapse. I did the middle bit feeling great, then a few days later I had to do the intro/outro, and started losing my voice and stuff.

Gonna be going back to the doc this week to find out what happened. Got a sneaking suspicion whatever demonism I picked up on holiday turned into an infection.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I disagree with one point. Those that say, "Dur... Social justice warrior" as if it were an insult is an idiot.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
I think we could use more female protagonists, but I also think games could have more female enemies. 99% of grunts in most videogames are guys.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
That was such a bullshit excuse. Animating women?! I'm as rabid a Mass Effect fan as can exist, so I call such hard bullshit on that!
But writing a good female character? I wouldn't accept that as an excuse, but I can see it being a problem. Video Games have two types of females; prostitutes/sluts/over-sexualized or princesses in need of rescue. Writing a strong female character who goes through a believable journey that's threatening and yet noble would be hard to do AND remain PC for the super hyper sensitive crowds. Having a cut-scene where the female protagonist is brutalized or tortured, as so many male protagonists are, would set off a lot of alarms and cause a hell of a controversy from the exact same people demanding a female protagonist. Just look at Laura Croft; having her be the stalwart heroine of the game wasn't good enough. She had to be God, unblemished and unbreakable because having her seem vulnerable or human was considered a slur against all women.

If Ubisoft said that, I wouldn't accept it as an excuse but it would be evidence of actually understanding the complexities of the gaming world and show an understanding of the gaming audience as a whole. And then I would expect them to hire a team of good writers and make it work.

Not this. Not this lazy 'women are scary to animate' bull.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I think this is the problem of cutting as many corners as one can get away with all the while relying on men as the default. Because of this, male characters will get left in while female characters, a secondary option that can't be included because their priorities aren't as high as the default, will get cut and left on the cutting room floor.

Let's ask the question: is having female protagonists bad for sales?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Skull Bearer said:
canadamus_prime said:
When it comes to Assassin's Creed Unity they could've just said that a female protagonist wouldn't have fit with the setting and time period. Sure they could've still made a female protagonist work with that setting and time period, but it would've been a much more valid excuse than saying it's too expensive.
Considering the most famous assassin of the era was a woman that bullshit is so far gone I don't know where to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Corday
Well I didn't say it was a valid excuse, I just said it was more valid than saying it was too expensive.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
C.S.Strowbridge said:
I disagree with one point. Those that say, "Dur... Social justice warrior" as if it were an insult is an idiot.
I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic this time. :)

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Ubisoft: Women are HARD you guys.

Meanwhile at Nintendo... a tactical shooter starring squid girls.

LameDuck

Feb 8, 2014
gigastar said:
Well, in the case of AC: Unity, do the extra protagonists actually have any impact on the story?

Last i checked, they were not even named.
They are named, but they are all the same person. Basically Ubisoft felt that it would be more fun if -- instead of everyone playing their own white dude -- everyone played the exact same white dude with different colored cloaks.