Jimquisition: Dragon's Frown

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
We and the gaming community we live in would be better if we destroyed Number Scores for good and for all.

You know the phrase 'actions speak louder than words?' Well, so do Numbers. Digits and percentages and */10 scales and statistics are more readily digested and used in the human consciousness than explanations and descriptions and thoughts. Or, in the case of reviews, at least.

Because of this, we have the first problem with Number Scores: the number in a review takes up so much more importance than the content of the review itself. Yahtzee dressed-down Numbers very well: how can you shrink and crush a complex and dynamic opinion into a lifeless calculated digit? And even if and when you CAN do this, why would you want to?

What, really, is the point of a review? I mean originally it was so a person could get an idea of whether or not they'd like a Thing before they spent the time or money to consume it, so what good does a number do for that cause? A number can't tell you anything, and that's the second problem with number scores: they're essentially pointless.
'This game is a nine'. So what? Does that really mean you'll like it? Most websites have a description of each number; say '9 = an incredibly thrilling experience'. Well, why not just CALL the game an incredibly thrilling experience, then? If you play that game and end up agreeing with the review, will you think, "wow, this game is incredibly thrilling!", or "wow! Nine! The number nine! Four plus five! N-I-N-E!!"

Now obviously, ever since Siskel and Ebert, a second mainstream function of reviews has formed: to exchange interesting commentary and thought-provoking theses on the product/art in question. To analyze, not just to review. To make observations, not just to say your opinion. 'Analysis' as its own separate entity is becoming more popular on Youtube; I really like the stuff made by people like Digibrony, or this obscure 'Sonic Dissected' series that seriously needs to be more popular. The latter of those two particularly emphasizes how LITTLE they want to emphasize their opinions, and maximize their focus on observations and analysis; though still while having an emotional tint to it based on their opinion; to still give the commentary just enough character and humanity.

That's personally one thing I like about Yahtzee's reviews more than Bob's; Ben focuses more on talking about the things that are in the game and explaining why he has the opinions that he has--so much so that it used to be hard to tell what his opinion even was. While Bob almost always puts his opinion at the forefront of every review; he still gives commentary and it's always interesting, but I still feel that it makes his show a little bit more dry. (I should emphasize that this doesn't say anything bad about him as a person; just the way in which he chooses to go about his videos.)

So with all that in mind, take a look at Number Scores again, and you'll see the third problem with number scores: they're pure opinion. And Problem #3 next to Problem #1 creates an acidic combo that causes reviews to be much more opinion focused. If Yahtzee had always handed out Numbers, his review of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon would have left me more-or-less thinking, "Wow, Dark Moon got an 8, which is almost the highest score he's ever given to a 1st Party Nintendo game. He gave an 8.5 to Super Mario Galaxy, so that must still be his favorite in the past few years. He have a 6 to Zelda Spirit Tracks, and a 4.4 to Other M, so clearly, he likes Dark Moon a surprising amount. Even more than Bowser's Inside Story, which he gave a 7.5."

But instead, in the actual dimension where Yahtzee doesn't give out numbers, I left that review thinking, "Wow! Yahtzee really liked a 1st party Nintendo Game for the first time since Super Mario Galaxy I think. Hmm, it is uncommon for Nintendo to not focus its gameplay on a hardware gimmick... is it? I wonder what it is about this game that Ben liked so much. Well, the visuals and the atmosphere certainly were a big factor. Hey, Galaxy also had a fun atmosphere to it! And..." and so on and so on. In other words, I was completely engrossed in the actual CONTENT of the games; not the opinions of the games.

Now obviously, reviews still work adequately despite all that I've mentioned. Normally, what any person can do is make their guesses as to whether-or-not they'll like a Thing based on who it was that made the review. I mean as long as I've watched Bob's show, I have gotten pretty good at telling whether or not I'll agree with him. When Doug Walker does regular reviews, he is always mentioning 'what kind of people will or won't like such and such movie'.

So ultimately, I wouldn't call Number Scores as being THAT worth doing away with, if it weren't for, well, the exact problem that Jim talks about in this video.

While I liked this video as much as any episode, I wish he had put some effort into actually understanding why this 'number hawking' phenomenon takes place. Yeah, people are 'getting brought down by one low number', but WHY are they doing that?

Well first of all, we need to explain Number Score problem #4--which is actually a mutation of the first three problems: that everyone has their own ideas of what the numbers mean. This means that two critics could both enjoy a Thing just as much as the other, yet give the Thing a different score! This could lead to confusion and frustration, because Problem #1 is distracting us from the generally-similar opinions.

So to remedy this problem, reviewers (mostly for games) basically started to Coalesce their rank theories together, and what has resulted is this 'generally agreed upon' standard for reviews in Gaming goes about like this:

10 = Perfect
9 = Excellent
8 = Great
7 = Good
6 = Okay
5 = Medicore
4 = Bad
3/0 = Different synonyms for 'terrible'

But in your attempt to fix Problem #4, you just made it worse; for now, if ANY review goes outside of these boundaries, it gets special attention and scorn. Jim says exactly this in the video: that Number Scores are slowly chaining reviewers into the same methods of opinions as everyone else. Jim has ALSO said that Number Scores are 'ultimately still a good thing', because problems like #4 (and the other problems that I will get to) are just the result of 'people not using them correctly', but I highly question that reasoning. From my perspective, the issue of Reviewers melting down into a collective ball of unanimity is a natural and predictable effect caused by the nature of Number Scores.

So as I said, the more we try to fix the problem of the Subjectivity of numbers, the more destructive the Subjectivity of numbers becomes.

But there's more to it than that: another result of this homogenization has caused the values of these numbers to climb to the ceiling. I'm not quite sure how this happens, but it so clearly does; that the more games get 9's and 10's, the more reviewers feel obligated to give more games 9's and 10's. This problem, then--if combined with Problem #1 again--mutates into the fifth problem with Number Scores: Hate out of Ten. We know roughly how that scale explains itself, but given the way in which numbers are handed out, how does that scale feel to the human heart?

10/9 = This game is very thoroughly enjoyable and has very few flaws; you could just spend your time playing only these games
8 = This game is pretty enjoyable, but you won't be missing out if you don't play it
7 = This game is average and almost certainly not worth buying
6 = A completely pointless game that might have some slim chance of appealing to you if you're in a very specific niche
5/4 = A completely worthless game
3/0 = It might be fun to watch an angry Let's Play of

We've created a gaming scene where soaring praise is expected; where the highest numbers are the average. Again the Jimquisition acknowledges this problem, and I'm glad he's aware of it, and while slapping the face of those who get consumed by it definitely helps, I don't think it's the cure to the problem.

And now, here we are at last: the conclusion of the dissection of this frustrating phenomenon; we can comprehend what the heart of the issue is; we can put the pieces together to fully understand why people flooded hatred over that 6.5 review of Dragon's Crown.

The fact that numbers speak louder than words mixed with the subjectivity of numbers along with the homogenization of opinions, with the power of Hate out of Ten amplifying it all, we get...

The 6th problem with Number Scores: the number becomes reality.

No one will say that opinions aren't objective, when asked. They won't say it, or think it out loud, that is. But on a deeper emotional level, an opinion can become an important part of their own enjoyment of the Thing. If someone gives a 9 to a game, because of all the problems I've mentioned before, it essentially becomes much more like an objective statement about a game's quality, and the more people agree on that number, the more 'objective' the number becomes, and the more infuriating any differing number can become.

Like, say if you spent your life supporting Such and Such political policy, because of allll the statistics you know of stating that Such and Such policy has a 95% benefit to Whatever. How are you inclined to react when someone tells you that, actually, only 10% of benefit to Whatever is caused by Such and Such, and is 90% damaging? If you're like me, you might be frustrated with that person.

Indeed, frustrated or annoyed by conflicting information, but ultimately okay if that guy ends up being factually wrong: your potential anger is defused by the alleviation of clear, true facts. Number Scores have the same element of frustratability, but because they are ultimately all subjective and opinion-based, you can't get behind objective fact to calm yourself, and may get pissed off as a result. There are many people who make angry comments about a 'low' 7.5 score, but I bet there are many times more people who've wanted to make an angry comment, but withheld their fingers knowing that their anger was stupid and pointless.

In general, I don't like what Number Scores do to the gaming community. It brings people to wallow in this bitter, emotionally-taxing Data Entry-esque sport of comparing and contrasting numbers. 'Ooh this got a 9.2 but the last one got a 9.3, this one is worse, huh? Sega Racing got a 7.75 but MAG just a 7?? This got a 10, but THAT did NOT get a 10! The PS3 version got half a point less than the 360 version!'

If Number Scores had some useful function in spite of all this, I would understand the desire to keep them. But, because of Problem #2: the problem that scores ultimately are pretty much pointless, I don't see any reason why we can't just throw these wasteful distractions into the dustbin of history, never to be seen again.

Now before anyone asks, I'm not trying to get Congress to ban numbers, or saying that we should flog every game site to purge its score policy, or saying that we need to start an anti-number Revolution Uprising; all I'm saying is--and in fact, the ultimate conclusion I've written this post to make--I want everyone to do the same thing I did: start ignoring Number Scores.

My internet-browsing life has been a solid 9.25 without them.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Imp Emissary said:
However, I'm am still confused as to what you meant with the first thing you said.
It was about the tweet right?
More so the comment by AtlusPRime on the actual review [http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-crown/9102] [note: it's the same quote]

Imp Emissary said:
Because it seemed to be just asking people to relax, listen to someone's opinion, and then form/change/keep their own.
Which is what people seem to be doing, they listen to the reviewers opinion and then post their differing opinion in the comment section.

Imp Emissary said:
And, ya know, try not to force yours on others(by which I assume they mean don't yell at anyone to change their opinion, just because they don't share yours)
Even if there aren't people saying the review should be changed, I don't see how what AtlusPRime said is saying that we should force people, to not force their opinions on others..
Which is why it's confusing as no one is really yelling at anyone to change their opinion, so why the call to not forcing an opinion? unless they see expressing a counter opinion to be "force"

Ultimately this seems like one of those situations that's being blown out of proportion by it's propagation within the media.

Looking at the epicenter of the issue, it doesn't look like it should be an issue. Some discussing the issues of sexism within the game, others about the credibility of a review that places such weight on a single aspect of the game.

edit: Maybe things are worse on Twitter or Facebook, I don't know.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
DirkDeadeye said:
OtherSideofSky said:
I didn't even read any of the scores (I never do), but I'm very mad at every reviewer who looked at Dragon's Crown, including the one at Polygon. I'm mad at them because they write like shit and spend all their time talking about the art, but don't know enough about art or art criticism to notice, let alone comment on all the amazing things going on in that game's art design (hint: not much to do with breasts, more to do with elaborate homages to classic works of art).

Actually, I am mad at the entire gaming press literally all the time because they are all complete failures as critics of any kind despite constantly going on about how much better qualified they are because they read a bastardization of theory decades out of date on a blog somewhere. I would not be at all put out if the entire lot of them were sacked tomorrow and we started over with a new batch who can actually fucking write.
Yeah, I settle in to read a review about a game..

I come out confused, and angry.

I didn't learn anything about the game..

I read some fuckin' editorial about objectification of women.

I then make the mistake of rolling my mouse further into the comments.

I just got in an argument with someone.

I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THIS GAME IS ABOUT!!
What pisses me off the most is that they clearly don't even know about what they do write about. These people would get thrown out of real gender studies faster than they would art history. Honestly, I don't think any of them actually even know what objectification is. If they were real feminist critics, they'd be talking about subjectivity and wouldn't make the assumption that objectification is sexual in nature. As it is, they come off as Tumblr third-wavers who are more fanboys/girls than they are experts or even activists.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
wulf3n said:
Imp Emissary said:
However, I'm am still confused as to what you meant with the first thing you said.
It was about the tweet right?
More so the comment by AtlusPRime on the actual review [http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-crown/9102] [note: it's the same quote]

Imp Emissary said:
Because it seemed to be just asking people to relax, listen to someone's opinion, and then form/change/keep their own.
Which is what people seem to be doing, they listen to the reviewers opinion and then post their differing opinion in the comment section.

Imp Emissary said:
And, ya know, try not to force yours on others(by which I assume they mean don't yell at anyone to change their opinion, just because they don't share yours)
Even if there aren't people saying the review should be changed, I don't see how what AtlusPRime said is saying that we should force people, to not force their opinions on others..
Which is why it's confusing as no one is really yelling at anyone to change their opinion, so why the call to not forcing an opinion? unless they see expressing a counter opinion to be "force"

Ultimately this seems like one of those situations that's being blown out of proportion by it's propagation within the media.

Looking at the epicenter of the issue, it's really not an issue. Some discussing the issues of sexism within the game, others about the credibility of a review that places such weight on a single aspect of the game.
Eh, I have seen people claim that reviews should be changed before. In a thread with a post count of over 1300, filled with some angry people, I think it would be a safe bet that some such people would pop up. Heck, I've even seen some people do that on the Escapist sometimes.

However, I can completely agree that the issue of one "bad" review, has indeed gone a bit overboard. Not so much because of the media, but rather the people who consume it.
:/ Which I guess technically includes us now......Huh...

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I love me some huge titties and highly stylized art but it doesn't bug my that some reviewer on Polygon didn't. Not one bit. Heck, if you guys who can't stand fair to middling reviews of games you don't like want to get REALLY angry saunter over to:
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/review-list/

and peruse until you have that heart attack you've been waiting for.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
I wonder, if there wasn't that big brouhaha around Sorceress leading up to the game's release, would Polygon have score it differently? Like, subconsciously, the reviewer was harsh-ish on it because he figured that everyone hated the game and if he wrote a review agreeing with their criticisms ("yes! the characters in the final game really are disgustingly sexualized!") that the review would get a lot of praise and attention?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
OtherSideofSky said:
I didn't even read any of the scores (I never do), but I'm very mad at every reviewer who looked at Dragon's Crown, including the one at Polygon. I'm mad at them because they write like shit and spend all their time talking about the art, but don't know enough about art or art criticism to notice, let alone comment on all the amazing things going on in that game's art design (hint: not much to do with breasts, more to do with elaborate homages to classic works of art).
Funny that you mention that. The review on the Escapist did talk a lot about the art, and mentioned a few of the cool things they do with it in the game.

"The outside world is revealed to you as series of sequential two-dimensional levels, each one its own hyperbolic variation of a magical trope like the mad scientist's laboratory or the castle of the dead. Sometimes it'll feel cliché, but the scenery is absolutely stunning anyway. It's particularly striking watching the picturesque landscape rotate around the mage's tower as you run up it. Even the mounts look legendary. Like the best kind of 80's power metal song, this game will have you riding velociraptors around and spitting a hail of fireballs into the faces of your foes."

That said, a lot of people focused more on this;(or rather, some of this quote)
"If the game's questionable portrayal of women and lackluster storyline aren't enough to put you off, though, there's still plenty left to enjoy about it."

Even though Lashani did say this first;

"Where the notable exaggeration remains appropriate to the subject it does really work. The genie's muscular arms and the old beggar's wrinkled skin bring out their essential qualities of strength and weakness respectively. It even makes sense for the Sorceress, a class that's traditionally charismatic, to have sexually suggestive garb. However, in the case of the nun with her legs spread it feels at best lazy and at worst downright regressive."

The review overall was very positive, but still admitted that the game has some flaws. Seems fair to me.
That review was better than most, but still didn't touch on what I'm talking about. Dragon's Crown is littered with specific homages to everything from renaissance tapestries and paintings to Ray Harryhausen and Walt Disney, and I have yet to see a single critic pick up on any of that in their discussion of the art design. It's one of the things that first got me interested in the game, and I would expect paid professionals to be capable of at least recognizing that those elements are present.

I have absolutely no problem with discussing gender issues and representation in a game review. What I take issue with is the sheer incompetence of self-appointed experts in dealing with these issues. Remember when Jim's best effort at real discourse was comparing a picture of the men from Gears of War to one of the women from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, and then mocking everyone who disagreed with him in a funny voice for 4 minutes? Remember when Bob Chipman brought up a really interesting racial question, and then ruined his whole point by not knowing the difference between 'lost civilization' and 'lost white tribe,' completely failing to do basic research into the history of anthropology, and wasting half the video belittling anyone who might disagree? Real critics would laugh at these people. They talk about objectification without ever once mentioning subjectivity and almost invariably define it in purely sexual terms. I don't believe these people have even read the type of feminist criticism they endeavor to emulate. Game critics should be bringing all of these points to the table, but time and again they show themselves incapable of doing so.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Imp Emissary said:
However, I can completely agree that the issue of one "bad" review, has indeed gone a bit overboard. Not so much because of the media, but rather the people who consume it.
Haha true, the joys of infotainment.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Roman Monaghan said:
Anomynous 167 said:
I skimmed through 5 pages just to make sure no one else has made this point.
Anyone complaining about the rediculous chest sizes of two out of three women in Dragon's Crown is oversexualising, must remember that an equal proportion of male characters has chests bigger than their heads.
No one else mentioned it because Jim already did an episode about why it's a stupid thing to say http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7290-Objectification-And-Men?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=videos

You can say the oversexualising issue is equal for both genders when this http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/57454571665/coelasquid-hokuto-ju-no-ken is in the game as well.
I tend not to read comment sections of the escapist videos because they often air at 2 am in the middle of the night, leaving large comment pools that I can't help to dive in. So I give up without reading or posting in them.
I haven't played Dragons Crown, and I am only making my judgements from concept art of the playable characters. People tended to only object to ONE ASPECT of the female character designs (the chest sizes) that an equal proportion of the male characters shared apon.
Besides which, you seemed to have completely ignored my objections/light analasys of the faces. And that makes me very );

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
wulf3n said:
Imp Emissary said:
Haha true, the joys of infotainment.
Well, at least I first got to hear about it from Jim, :) so I at least got a few laughs.
OtherSideofSky said:
Imp Emissary said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Funny that you mention that. The review on the Escapist did talk a lot about the art, and mentioned a few of the cool things they do with it in the game.

"The outside world is revealed to you as series of sequential two-dimensional levels, each one its own hyperbolic variation of a magical trope like the mad scientist's laboratory or the castle of the dead. Sometimes it'll feel cliché, but the scenery is absolutely stunning anyway. It's particularly striking watching the picturesque landscape rotate around the mage's tower as you run up it. Even the mounts look legendary. Like the best kind of 80's power metal song, this game will have you riding velociraptors around and spitting a hail of fireballs into the faces of your foes."

That said, a lot of people focused more on this;(or rather, some of this quote)
"If the game's questionable portrayal of women and lackluster storyline aren't enough to put you off, though, there's still plenty left to enjoy about it."

Even though Lashani did say this first;

"Where the notable exaggeration remains appropriate to the subject it does really work. The genie's muscular arms and the old beggar's wrinkled skin bring out their essential qualities of strength and weakness respectively. It even makes sense for the Sorceress, a class that's traditionally charismatic, to have sexually suggestive garb. However, in the case of the nun with her legs spread it feels at best lazy and at worst downright regressive."

The review overall was very positive, but still admitted that the game has some flaws. Seems fair to me.
That review was better than most, but still didn't touch on what I'm talking about. Dragon's Crown is littered with specific homages to everything from renaissance tapestries and paintings to Ray Harryhausen and Walt Disney, and I have yet to see a single critic pick up on any of that in their discussion of the art design. It's one of the things that first got me interested in the game, and I would expect paid professionals to be capable of at least recognizing that those elements are present.

I have absolutely no problem with discussing gender issues and representation in a game review. What I take issue with is the sheer incompetence of self-appointed experts in dealing with these issues. Remember when Jim's best effort at real discourse was comparing a picture of the men from Gears of War to one of the women from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, and then mocking everyone who disagreed with him in a funny voice for 4 minutes? Remember when Bob Chipman brought up a really interesting racial question, and then ruined his whole point by not knowing the difference between 'lost civilization' and 'lost white tribe,' completely failing to do basic research into the history of anthropology, and wasting half the video belittling anyone who might disagree? Real critics would laugh at these people. They talk about objectification without ever once mentioning subjectivity and almost invariably define it in purely sexual terms. I don't believe these people have even read the type of feminist criticism they endeavor to emulate. Game critics should be bringing all of these points to the table, but time and again they show themselves incapable of doing so.
Understandable. No issues with wanting things to be of higher quality.
That said, aren't you perhaps asking a bit much of a 5-10 video? One that has a limited time to be made and released after one has done "research"(played the game). That and to pick up on all the things you would yourself first have to be familiar with them, and of course you would have to know that there are things to look for. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but perhaps not in the time that these reviews have to be made.

Plus, that isn't the main goal of the review. The goal is to find out if they can tell you if you should buy the game. As for the things Jim, Bob, and others have made, yes they aren't perfect as intellectual pieces, but that's because they also have to be entertainment too. So they will have some flaws. That said, while they aren't the best, I think there is something to having someone take a serious issue, keep it still mostly serious, but still have it be entertaining to watch.

However, I have seen more analytical works in other places(and here on the escapist even) that look deeper into gaming.
Errant Signal, EmceeProphIt, and Rob Rath of Critical Intel to name just a few.

Also, while other content may not be as in-depth, or detailed. I still think interesting ideas can come from such things, and that they do have value.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dragon's Frown

Oh yes, it's another video about reviews and things. Not quite the usual flavor, but certainly something that cannot be repeated enough.

Watch Video
I've gotta ask, what's the music you used in this video when showing pics of the review and the whole facehugger bit?

It reminds me a hell of a lot of FFVII, but I can't find the exact song and it's driving me crazy.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
It doesn't really matter in the long run if one game gets a higher score than another. Why? Could it be because one reviewer does not know all that there is to know about one subject, the way the reviewer perceived the game, worked on the review, submitted it, but left plenty of holes in their logic to review the game, or is it the game's fault for providing such a "throw the bone" spiel to intentionally or unintentionally make the gamer(s) do more quests? Most likely both reasons are the reasons why one game is "better" relatively than another.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Mr_Terrific said:
Video kinda ignores 2 of the main reasons why people took issue with the Polygon review. And I feel like it's a much larger issue that the usual fans being mad at a random low score.

The two low scores are both from women offended by the art style and depiction of woman.

One of the scores is from a site funded by MS.

Both issues are worthy of a mention but instead we rag on fans of the game who want to see talented developers get the credit they deserve, and not lowballed for hits or politics...
So your first "reason" for taking issue with the review is that it was from a woman's perspective, and that her perspective happened to be offended by the game that has every female character being reduced to hypersexualized fanservice. So, if it was a man who was offended by the art style and hypersexualized depiction of every women in the game, would it be more valid to you, or is it just that being offended by sexist depictions of women shouldn't count?

As for the other one, really? You think they're going to give it a low score because they're funded by MS? Since I'm not familiar with the site, do they make a habit of giving PS exclusives noticeably lower scores than what's to be expected? Because a fictitious conspiracy against Sony isn't a valid reason if the only evidence you have is that one PS game got a low score.

And we "rag on fans" because we have differing views on what the developers deserves for their game and because they are constantly whining about even the slightest criticism or mention of sexism.

I don't dislike Dragon's Crown because I'm a woman, or because I've been paid off by someone, or because I want extra attention; I dislike it because it's depictions of women make me feel uncomfortable that someone out there thinks that this is what I want to look at, and it makes me irritated to see an entire gender reduced to being tits, asses, and sexy poses.
These are not "my" reasons, only observations. It does stand out that the only to people to give the game a low score happen to be woman. I think it's worth discussing why these depictions of woman bothered these two critics enough to hand out a lower score. If it were a man handing out a lower score due to some perceived slight against women, I would be just as interested in finding out why 3 optional characters ruined the entire game.

So you say you don't want to play a game that makes you uncomfortable...so would you review Dragon's Crown knowing you already have an opinion before you've played the game. If you don't like the art style, no amount of amazing gameplay in the world would change your mind about it, so the question remains...why would you review something when you're already predisposed to not liking? Don't you think that that personal bias would interfere with the review process? That is what I'd like Jim to discuss. Not fan reactions. Of course, he's guilty of doing the same thing with David Cage games so of course he won't bring it up.

As for Polygon. A simple google search of the keywords "polygon", "funded", "Microsoft" should fill you in. Now, I don't think they have some agenda but people have been making that claim, so again, it might be worth a look. I don't know if there is some conspiracy but I do know that their critics write horrible reviews and they've succeeded in getting the name "polygon" out there with their TLoU review...

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I believe this issue is dated, nonetheless the presentation was humorous and pointed. I liked the syncing of the Shinra theme with the score display.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Understandable. No issues with wanting things to be of higher quality.
That said, aren't you perhaps asking a bit much of a 5-10 video? One that has a limited time to be made and released after one has done "research"(played the game). That and to pick up on all the things you would yourself first have to be familiar with them, and of course you would have to know that there are things to look for. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but perhaps not in the time that these reviews have to be made.

Plus, that isn't the main goal of the review. The goal is to find out if they can tell you if you should buy the game. As for the things Jim, Bob, and others have made, yes they aren't perfect as intellectual pieces, but that's because they also have to be entertainment too. So they will have some flaws. That said, while they aren't the best, I think there is something to having someone take a serious issue, keep it still mostly serious, but still have it be entertaining to watch.

However, I have seen more analytical works in other places(and here on the escapist even) that look deeper into gaming.
Errant Signal, EmceeProphIt, and Rob Rath of Critical Intel to name just a few.

Also, while other content may not be as in-depth, or detailed. I still think interesting ideas can come from such things, and that they do have value.
I get that they're trying to be entertaining, but I think that the way they do so, often taking pot shots at a perceived opposition, frequently does more to undermine than to stimulate reasoned, productive debate. I know it isn't possible to exhaust these topics in a five minute video, but it is possible to present a more nuanced and accurate take on the issues involved and provide a better starting point for discussion than are currently being given, and it is certainly possible to inject an element of humor into one's work without being needlessly aggressive, which causes others to stop listening and lash out, rather than engage and consider.