Jimquisition: Dragon's Frown

Luminos564

May 15, 2013
Windu23 said:
The Escapist gave the game a 3 out of 5. Which makes it an average score. Where's the outrage there?
They probably took their abject rage to another forum site to complain which is why you don't see it here.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
It's reactions like this that are causing games not being taken seriously to come to a middle. Why do gamers get upset if every critic doesn't agree with them? When it comes to movies it's common for a movie that critics nearly universally hate to make decent box office. The people who spend that money on a "bad" movie don't get up in arms and demand that scores be changed. They just accept that sometimes the critics just don't "get it." But when it comes to games, it seems like any time a reviewer goes against the "perceived consensus of the hive-mind" the full force of fan ire must be brought to bear to correct their thinking. To an outsider this might come off as looking childish.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Jimothy Sterling said:
Hades said:
So Jim, every time you mention Dynasty warriors 8 we get Zhang he on screen fighting against the yellow Turbans. Is he your favourite character?
He is.

I also captured over an hour of DW8 footage for Destructoid's video review and I'll be damned if I'm not gonna squeeze my money's worth out of it every time I mention the game.
Zhang He's cool but my favourite character has got to be Sima ''Mwahahaha'' Yi.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
I like how Dynasty Warriors is finding its way into every video now.

I don't know if you're framing your argument to include it or it just fits perfectly into every discussion about the industry XD

Also, agreed on all points made. Part of the reason why I hate review scores is due to how people misuse them.
Well that depends on if there is a "correct" use of them and if youre already sitting on it then it would be nice to have that proper use of scores presented as part of your argument, would that be possible maybe :U?
It's simple, really. Reviews are meant to inform consumers and help them decide whether or not to buy a product. It's not supposed to act as a means for people to validate their interests. Different sources of review represent different outlooks and not everyone's going to agree on what does and doesn't make a good game.
Thats the definition of a review

"I hate review scores is due to how people misuse them"

Well, how are review SCORES supposed to be properly used if theyre subjective based?
Reviews are just as subjective as their scores.

How people interpret review scores should be no different than how they do so with the reviews themselves:

"Different sources of review represent different outlooks and not everyone's going to agree on what does and doesn't make a good game."

A score in a vacuum tells you very little and should only be used to inform a consumer whether or not they should buy a product at a glance. I feel like I am repeating myself when I say that people shouldn't use scores to validate their interest in something. Just because someone gave your favorite game a 2 it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it yourself.

Please present the correct way of having correct opinions please c: that shouldnt be too difficult right?
I don't remember ever stating there was any right way to writing a review or generating a score if that's what you're implying.

EDIT: The foundation of my argument is basically that review scores should be used as a consumer tool/aid, not a means in which people can seek validation for their fandom.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
TheProfessor234 said:
Might just be me, but I always feel better if there is negative criticism about something, or rather, two or multiple sides to something.

I don't know how to explain it but I always get a weird feeling if something is highly loved by every single person.
I feel exactly the same. My feeling is that there's no such thing as a perfect game. When I see games get perfect scores I get very suspicious. Adam Sessler gave Bioshock infinite and Last of Us a 5/5. They are great games but they both certainly have problems and in his review of Infinite, in particular, he spoke about the game as if it had no flaws whatsoever

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
All this bother about Polygon.

I mean who are Polygon and why should I care what they say?

Don't answer that, it was rhetorical. Except the care part 'cause I don't.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Implying the fact that you most likely have a proper use in mind of generating review scores, a statement im highly interested in and would like to know how such a thing would be possible.
It seems you've misinterpreted my meaning. I suppose I could have been more clear, but I never meant to imply there was a correct way to generate a review score. When I say, "... how people misuse them" I am referring to how consumers/gamers interpret/use them.

Vedli

Jul 5, 2013
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
I like how Dynasty Warriors is finding its way into every video now.

I don't know if you're framing your argument to include it or it just fits perfectly into every discussion about the industry XD

Also, agreed on all points made. Part of the reason why I hate review scores is due to how people misuse them.
Well that depends on if there is a "correct" use of them and if youre already sitting on it then it would be nice to have that proper use of scores presented as part of your argument, would that be possible maybe :U?
It's simple, really. Reviews are meant to inform consumers and help them decide whether or not to buy a product. It's not supposed to act as a means for people to validate their interests. Different sources of review represent different outlooks and not everyone's going to agree on what does and doesn't make a good game.
Thats the definition of a review

"I hate review scores is due to how people misuse them"

Well, how are review SCORES supposed to be properly used if theyre subjective based?
Please present the correct way of having correct opinions please c: that shouldnt be too difficult right?
Well the best use of number scores I know of is from SF Debris (Who is a Sci-fi reviewer who's mainstay is Star Trek) who uses them as a ranking system to compare to other episodes in the same series. (so a 5 for an Enterprise episode is not the same thing as 5 for an episode of TNG) It's about been able to say these are what I think are the best episodes and these are the worst not to measure some standard of "goodness"

Jim's own Destructiod includes a guide that explains what the numbers mean on there site. So there the numbers are just shorthand.

I think if your going to use number scores you need to give a context on what those numbers mean.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
Monxeroth said:
Implying the fact that you most likely have a proper use in mind of generating review scores, a statement im highly interested in and would like to know how such a thing would be possible.
It seems you've misinterpreted my meaning. I suppose I could have been more clear, but I never meant to imply there was a correct way to generate a review score. When I say, "... how people misuse them" I am referring to how consumers/gamers interpret/use them.
So then what is the correct way to properly make use (use that in the future, MAKE use) of review scores and interpret them :U?
I've explained that multiple times already:

Reviews are meant to inform consumers and help them decide whether or not to buy a product. It's not supposed to act as a means for people to validate their interests.
EDIT: Jim's episode outlined a perfect example of what happens when people use it the wrong way when he showed that screen cap of the NeoGAF forums.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
How dare you give chocolate ice cream a 6.5/10? Chocolate ice cream is the ultimate example of how amazing the craft of ice cream making can be done. You are an idiot if you don't see chocolate ice cream's greatness so you must not be a true ice cream fan. Only a casual ice cream eater would say that chocolate ice cream is "not bad". You are exactly what is wrong with the ice cream industry.

see how silly it is when we do this with pretty much anything else?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
Monxeroth said:
Fappy said:
Monxeroth said:
So then what is the correct way to properly make use (use that in the future, MAKE use) of review scores and interpret them :U?
I've explained that multiple times already:

Reviews are meant to inform consumers and help them decide whether or not to buy a product. It's not supposed to act as a means for people to validate their interests.
EDIT: Jim's episode outlined a perfect example of what happens when people use it the wrong way when he showed that screen cap of the NeoGAF forums.
Again you seem to have a problem interpreting.
I specifically asked for the SCORE
not the REVIEW itself, the SCORE is not the REVIEW, the score is the summary of the review, the review on the other hand is..well, the review.

Score =/= Review

Score can say something completely else than my review to someone. For example my review may be good but my score terrible, and vice versa so lets just try ONE MORE TIME here.

What is the correct way to properly make use of a review SCORE
I answered that question a few posts back: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.824314.19974330

The only difference in use between a full review and a score is that a score exists to inform your decision at a glance whereas a full review is a far more involved affair.

Also, if there's noticeable dissonance between a review and its score the reviewer did a poor job.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Initially, i saw this and just went meh... kids being kids and throwing tantrums, then i remembered

No Mutants Allowed.

Its just as likely to be Menchildren throwing tantrums.

Im a big fallout fan, been playing since fallout 1, but i have never mixed with or joined the fallout community that was NMA because it was a cesspit that embodied a single mindset. You said anything that went contrary to the collective fixed mindset... heaven help you.

My sister has told me there is a similar purist clique for the rockman series, as i am sure there are for many other franchises.

If games become art, then they are subject to people who are not gamers, and those people's opinions are every bit as valid as yours. The sooner you grow up and become reasonable, the sooner the points you are trying to make by screaming at the keyboard may be actually considered. Have a hissyfit or pull rank on your level of fandom against people who are casual gamers.... well then the hobby will never be taken seriously and will ultimately stagnate along side you in your parents basement.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm so excited about this game, I just drew this! :D

Having said that, yeah, some designs aren't to my taste...but to simply ingore the good cause there's a thing or two your tastes don't agree with is ignorant.

The reviewer ignores a lot of good art design, a whole lot of it, if she uses one the games' BEST features to justify her score of 65. (which is a D, if we go by exams, this game isn't a D)

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe there are folks out there who can't enjoy their beloved games because one bad review, hence their outrage. Who knows.

I certainly can't wrap my head around these phenomena. I have fond memories playing critically panned games (like Two Worlds) and that 6/10 The Witcher 2 score certainly didn't stop me having a blast.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
What seems to have the folks who are upset in a tizzy is less that it got a less-than-stellar review and more that people are criticizing the game as conveying sexist shit with some of it's imagery. Which, of course, causes many to bemoan that the world is so "PC" (because treating people decently is so shitty), be accused of white knighting (because men can't possibly have interest in sexual/gender equality), and so on.

It's just your typical boys club bullshit combined with bratty fans crying that everyone in the world didn't spontaneously orgasm after the game finished loading.

I'm saying this as an excited fan of Dragon's Crown.