Jimquisition: Dragon's Frown

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Wow I had no idea a less than ferpect review when a lot of others give it high scores would cause so many problems. I would have thought it would be the other way around when a fairly bland and straight copy + paste sequal gets 9-10/10 from sites pushing it's score up when the game probably isn't worth the score. Then you have the likes of Sim Shitty which seems to have mostly favourable reviews even though no-one could play it for months and was more or less worse than it's prequels.

Anyway how prevalent is score buying in the review industry Jim?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I love Jim's talent for shifting the debate back to put the bigoted assholes on the defensive.

Monxeroth said:
Also Jim, the argument that somehow "hardcore gamers" defend homogenization of video games and video game mechanics/type of games, correlates with the same people or other people bashing down on low review scores by todays standards, is a really flawed argument.

correlation does not imply causation, Jim.

The fact that some people like to defend generic homogenized video game series and titles has NOTHING to do with review scores and the homogenization of "Its either a 10 or its shit".
Um, you missed the point of what he was saying. He's saying, demanding homogenization of the game press is the same PROCESS as demanding homogenization of games, regardless of any cause-and-effect correlation.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
shirkbot said:
Chessrook44 said:
OOOOOH yes. In fact, it happens so much it has its own page on TVTropes that details each and every time it happens. Read more about it here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight
You know, I don't have much faith in humanity left, and things like this chip away at the remainder a little more every day. I hate the internet. Almost as much as I love TVTropes.
Dear God, if that's true stay far away from NotAlwaysRight. That little bit of faith will go flying out the window.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
shirkbot said:
Wait... This was actually a thing? People actually got bent out of shape enough over a single review, and do so on a regular enough basis, that Jim felt he should do an episode about this? ... Fantastic.
Part (I must stress, though, only PART) of the criticism of the game made in the review was from the perspective of perceived sexual objectification of some of the female characters. Any criticism of a video game from that perspective draws out what seems to be legions of furious fanboys (but is more likely a handful of really bitter loudmouths), absolutely incensed at the suggestion that any aspect of the gaming industry might have any issues whatsoever with its portrayal of women.

I think that's the case here - less that people were mad at one lowish score of an otherwise popular and well reviewed game, and more a kneejerk reaction to the dread specter of feminism from an increasingly isolated crowd of besieged old guard gamer boys terrified of the dirty horde of cootie-carriers come to steal their games away.

Not that in this case there wouldn't have been legitimate reasons of art style and alternative character choices with which to mount a defense of the game. And even if one did agree, as I do, that a desire to pander to the prurient interests of the presumed hetmale audience has led to bizzare artistic choices that have done the game a disservice, that's not the same as saying everything about the game is terrible or enjoying the game would make you a bad person. However, merely having the discussion grants the issue of female representation in games more credence than some can stomach.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Yeah it's ludicrous to get upset over this of all things, it's not like they gave a 4 to Vanquish or something. I'd sooner go with a score of 6.5 than the various 9s, since the game did end up being a disappointment on some levels, particularly in terms of certain bosses/enemies, its repetitive nature and indeed some of its more dubious artistic depictions.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I never gonna get the crying of low scores in a system where the numbers means next to nothing. Can someone tell me the difference between a 8.5 and a 9.0?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
People defending DC: Ignore boobs,talk about gameplay.
People who hated it: Ignore gameplay, talk about boobs.

I feel in the eye of the hurricane now, but I'm still getting this, my only question now is if I should get this on PS3 or Vita.

Maybe I should do a comic about this...

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Mulberry said:
So... the game scored 6.5/10, or 65%, in one review. It scored more than half marks. And this is a *bad* thing?

This is why numerical quantification of a subjective opinion is useless.
Remember when people got all uppity when Jim gave Gears of War 3 an 8/10? He did an episode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten] on it.

There is a major "Everyone must like what I like because I like and therefore it is universally good" bias with gamers.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Goliath100 said:
I never gonna get the crying of low scores in a system where the numbers means next to nothing. Can someone tell me the difference between a 8.5 and a 9.0?

No, really, I'm not trying to be clever. In all honesty there's no difference between them except one is slightly higher.

....ok maybe I'm trying to be a little clever.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Was that the FF7 music at the start?

DW8 was an awesome game. Loved it. Dont give a shit if people think its a big pile of crap. End of the day, you hating it doesnt stop me from enjoying it. An thats the problem. Does a review of 6.5 out of 10 really stop you from loving a game you enjoy playing? Low review scores are fine, and a review that says why they hate it is a great. You can disagree and thats fine. I find beat em ups boring and repetitive but then those people who love beat em ups would find DW8 boring an repetitive. We all get different enjoyment from different things. But to need everyone to love what we love is just immature and shows how insecure those people are.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Just as a pointer, this isn't the first time it's happened. One example that quickly comes to mind is Supreme Commander. One website had the audacity to give it a 5/10, citing issues such as it's performance on lower end systems. The review however was later removed due to fan pressure, if you can believe it.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Goliath100 said:
6.5: This website gave it a 6.5, let's moan at it.
7.0: I've seen better reviews in Mtv
7.5: Why does this games need (insert lacking and possibly needless feature here) just because (insert game that does) has it?
8.0 You drink your cereal with tears instead of milk.
8.5: Your cereal taste salty out of your fanboy tears.
9.0: A single tear in your coffee makes little difference for those around you, but it does for you.
9.5: GOTY
10: That other website gave it a 6.5, let's moan at it, back to 6.5

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
Goliath100 said:

No, really, I'm not trying to be clever. In all honesty there's no difference between them except one is slightly higher.

....ok maybe I'm trying to be a little clever.
Ok, what criterias are the difference between 8.0 and 9.0 then.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Chessrook44 said:
shirkbot said:
Chessrook44 said:
OOOOOH yes. In fact, it happens so much it has its own page on TVTropes that details each and every time it happens. Read more about it here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight
You know, I don't have much faith in humanity left, and things like this chip away at the remainder a little more every day. I hate the internet. Almost as much as I love TVTropes.
Dear God, if that's true stay far away from NotAlwaysRight. That little bit of faith will go flying out the window.
Was there any to have in the first place?
Yes, when you were young. Or innocent. Or actually met smart and helpful people, what terribly few there are.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
This is one of those well duh episodes, it?s not like fans who do this are ever going to change their mind just because you made a video.

I do think that you can complain about a review if its factually wrong or contradicts something that the reviewer said before.