Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
fake gamer girls....? meh

the culture i was persecuted for becoming mainstream....? mild annoyance, but gratified that finally people see the awesome I loved growing up.

my general outlook....? easily distracted by boobs... so who is exploiting who? Them for boobs out attention grabbing? Or me feigning interest to look at the boobies?

otherwise there's plenty of girls out there. Stop worrying just cause a couple chicks fake geek, just find another and stop being so fatalistic.

wild0061

Sep 8, 2008
Mechalynx said:
I find Fake Nerd Girls annoying, just like I find Fake Anything Anyone annoying. Maybe a bit more even, since I'm a female gamer. And the reason for this is, because people like that are attention whores, that rarely give a shit about what actually interests you. I have met a few and all the encounters went something like this:

"Oh, you like video games!! Me too!!"

"That's nice. Fave genres? RPG, JRPG, RTS...."

*Blank stare*

"Oh all of them.. They're just so much fun!"

Then I tentitavely throw up a few well known recent or classic titles, to get a discussion started, since by then I assume that the person actually wants to talk video games. At best I get a recognition for titles only, sometimes even "Oh I saw my bf/brother/previous victim play it." Minutes after they change topics entirely and/or start talking about themselves. And at this point I lose all interest in this "nerd".

I just find stuff like this insulting, because it gives off an impression that gaming isn't a worthy hobby (or lifestyle for some lucky individuals) and those who enjoy it are just lesser minded people, ready to worship those who feign even the slightest interest. It's not ego stroking, it's the fact that the person blatantly lies to you for no other reasons that self assertion or whatever, and not because they genuinely care what you think.
Pretty much this, 'fake nerds' (either gender) are annoying, like any other fakers, the fakes obviously aren't gonna stop (or care less what anyone says/thinks), easiest thing to do is ignore them and don't give them any attention, as for the marketing of female/male nerd 'culture' or whatever, to get money, if you know its a con lol then don't fall for it by buying their stuff :p simple

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
^^^^^ that... though, this too.

Aardvaarkman said:
Astro said:
Yes, except female sexual persuasion isn't "hey I'm interested in you so I'll express my interest" in this context, it's "hey I'm going to sit here presenting myself in a certain way to exploit this demographic specifically to reap the attention I'm liable to get."
You really don't seem to have much of an idea about human sexuality, whether male or female. Females (whether considered attractive or not) are generally constantly subjected to unwanted male attention. It isn't usually males who are perved upon and judged by their appearance.

The idea that male gamers are somehow being manipulated or are victims of female predators is one of the most absurd things I've heard in quite a while. And the idea that they do it by just "sitting here" looking a certain way is just ridiculous. If they're just sitting there, then why do you have to involve yourself with them in any way. Where is the exploitation here?
"are generally constantly subjected to unwanted male attention." - because guys don't have better things to do. And women are incapable of exaggerating simple conversation into sexual advances.

"It isn't usually males who are perved upon and judged by their appearance." - there's a difference between looking and judging, females are far more aggressive judging. Besides, some women cultivate that image for attention and i think that's the type he's referring to.

"The idea that male gamers are somehow being manipulated or are victims of female predators is one of the most absurd things I've heard in quite a while. And the idea that they do it by just "sitting here" looking a certain way is just ridiculous. If they're just sitting there, then why do you have to involve yourself with them in any way. Where is the exploitation here?" - Fair cop, we're not children. But i think this is more then just booth girls. I think this issue encompasses any "fake" nerd girl whether it be the one quoting sheldon on facebook to the one pretending interest so as to exploit nerds in a more active manner (money, rides, whatevs) and in the latter case it is hugely exploitative, but then it's not so much fake nerd girls as just fake women.

(or fake people, as men are as capable as women in this regard.)

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
wild0061 said:
Mechalynx said:
I find Fake Nerd Girls annoying, just like I find Fake Anything Anyone annoying. Maybe a bit more even, since I'm a female gamer. And the reason for this is, because people like that are attention whores, that rarely give a shit about what actually interests you. I have met a few and all the encounters went something like this:

"Oh, you like video games!! Me too!!"

"That's nice. Fave genres? RPG, JRPG, RTS...."

*Blank stare*

"Oh all of them.. They're just so much fun!"

Then I tentitavely throw up a few well known recent or classic titles, to get a discussion started, since by then I assume that the person actually wants to talk video games. At best I get a recognition for titles only, sometimes even "Oh I saw my bf/brother/previous victim play it." Minutes after they change topics entirely and/or start talking about themselves. And at this point I lose all interest in this "nerd".

I just find stuff like this insulting, because it gives off an impression that gaming isn't a worthy hobby (or lifestyle for some lucky individuals) and those who enjoy it are just lesser minded people, ready to worship those who feign even the slightest interest. It's not ego stroking, it's the fact that the person blatantly lies to you for no other reasons that self assertion or whatever, and not because they genuinely care what you think.
Pretty much this, 'fake nerds' (either gender) are annoying, like any other fakers, the fakes obviously aren't gonna stop (or care less what anyone says/thinks), easiest thing to do is ignore them and don't give them any attention, as for the marketing of female/male nerd 'culture' or whatever, to get money, if you know its a con lol then don't fall for it by buying their stuff :p simple
Personally I don't think I would be offended if someone pretended to be more invested in videogames than they actually are. I know someone who does this and it doesn't really bother me at all. I'm offended when these types are blatantly trying to manipulate me with a bubbly attitude, partially exposed breasts and a half-baked reference to Mario - it's boorish, crass and insulting.

No, I don't want to fawn over you like you're precious commodity. You don't deserve special attention, but we both know that you'll succeed in getting it anyway. What a valuable gift you are for being born female, gee, I'm so glad the only women I ever hear from in this industry are either incessantly complaining about how sexist gaming is while contributing nothing worthwhile or exploiting male sexuality for personal gain with incredibly boring, artificial and contrived cosplay.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Astro said:
'Forcefully' isn't necessarily physical. When you're a heterosexual male and this: [ http://i.imgur.com/10x6H.jpg ] is the kind of caliber of intentionally honed presentation you're dealing with (and in the context of 'fake nerd girls' it often is), you can't choose whether you're affected by it. Physical causality, beyond 'fake nerd girls' trying to make themselves known for getting attention, isn't the root issue.
Ironically that "intentionally honed presentation" was designed by men WHEN THEY MADE THE GAME AND DREW THAT COSTUME ON THE CHARACTER TO BEGIN WITH.

http://sabin.astromono.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/moxxy.jpg?9707a5

THATS WHAT MOXXY LOOKS LIKE! The girl did NOTHING to hone that presentation. A load of manly men did it for her when they made the characters in their games uberly sexualised to appeal to other men. The reason loads of girls wear sexy costumes is because lots of male games designers put their characters in sexy costume. Its cause and effect. Dont try and say the effect is the root of the problem. Also how on EARTH do you know if that girl is a fake nerd girl or not. You havnt even talked to her. My jegus... my troll jegus. This is scary. Slut shaming everywhar. Its not a girls right to want to be attractive or wear whatever the hell she damn pleases. Its a mans right to not have to see girls who like looking nice for themselves (dont assume its for you). And god fucking help them if they ARNT attractive. Then they get slammed and insulted.

It seems arrogant and egotistical to assume girls would do ANYTHING so grand for YOUR attention like splash out on an expensive outfit and attend a convention and waste that time energy and money when they could just wear a 4 dollar bikini to a club for the same effect that you think she wants to achieve. She isnt there for you bro. No girl goes to a convention JUST FOR YOU. My jegus i know it must be LOVELY to imagine a hoard of attractive woman clamoring for your attention, spending money like crazy to buy accurate cosplay and tickets JUST FOR THE HONOR of having you LOOK AT HER but in reality land thats totally insane when you think about it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
matthew_lane said:
so essentially what your saying is "no because everything is x[footnote/]x being your version of what "geek culture" is like and what is/isnt commone/is/isnt normal and how it has been in the past..its not a fact[/footnote] so therefore all this is completly normal, gender has no bearing", its come full circle"

I call bullshit, you only need to look 17 PAGES of this insanity to see that gender is a facter

[quote/] but this is one time in which women do not control what is and isn't acceptable in a community/society.[/quote]
I know right...its not like sexsim and/or equality are even that big of a deal/sarcasm (hint:generally we don't)

this statment right here tells me alot of abour attitude "DA WIMMINS ARE BEIN UNREASONABLE..WAKE UP SHEEPLE"

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
BiscuitTrouser said:
Astro said:
'Forcefully' isn't necessarily physical. When you're a heterosexual male and this: [ http://i.imgur.com/10x6H.jpg ] is the kind of caliber of intentionally honed presentation you're dealing with (and in the context of 'fake nerd girls' it often is), you can't choose whether you're affected by it. Physical causality, beyond 'fake nerd girls' trying to make themselves known for getting attention, isn't the root issue.
Ironically that "intentionally honed presentation" was designed by men WHEN THEY MADE THE GAME AND DREW THAT COSTUME ON THE CHARACTER TO BEGIN WITH.

http://sabin.astromono.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/moxxy.jpg?9707a5

THATS WHAT MOXXY LOOKS LIKE! The girl did NOTHING to hone that presentation. A load of manly men did it for her when they made the characters in their games uberly sexualised to appeal to other men. The reason loads of girls wear sexy costumes is because lots of male games designers put their characters in sexy costume. Its cause and effect. Dont try and say the effect is the root of the problem. Also how on EARTH do you know if that girl is a fake nerd girl or not. You havnt even talked to her. My jegus... my troll jegus. This is scary. Slut shaming everywhar. Its not a girls right to want to be attractive or wear whatever the hell she damn pleases. Its a mans right to not have to see girls who like looking nice for themselves (dont assume its for you). And god fucking help them if they ARNT attractive. Then they get slammed and insulted.

It seems arrogant and egotistical to assume girls would do ANYTHING so grand for YOUR attention like splash out on an expensive outfit and attend a convention and waste that time energy and money when they could just wear a 4 dollar bikini to a club for the same effect that you think she wants to achieve. She isnt there for you bro. No girl goes to a convention JUST FOR YOU. My jegus i know it must be LOVELY to imagine a hoard of attractive woman clamoring for your attention, spending money like crazy to buy accurate cosplay and tickets JUST FOR THE HONOR of having you LOOK AT HER but in reality land thats totally insane when you think about it.
Actually, the reason why a lot of girls wear sexy costumes is because they like wearing sexy costumes. A person capable of self-reflection and not wanting to attract a certain type of attention would think "hhmm it appears my enormous breasts are about to explode out of my costume" or "maybe I'll cosplay a different more reasonable-looking character." Women aren't idiots and there are plenty of solid female characters despite what gaming media would have you believe.

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=metal+gear+3+The+Boss+cosplay&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=955&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=rhKuUKWIGIaQiQfjkoH4Ag#um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=metal+gear+3+The+Boss+cosplay&oq=metal+gear+3+The+Boss+cosplay&gs_l=img.3...5712.140206.0.140329.37.27.3.3.3.3.356.4793.0j4j16j1.21.0...0.0...1c.1.N_FLH1P4JZE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c1f34d10efaf578&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=955

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=metal+gear+3+The+Boss+cosplay&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=955&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=rhKuUKWIGIaQiQfjkoH4Ag#um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=metal+gear+3+Eva+cosplay&oq=metal+gear+3+Eva+cosplay&gs_l=img.3...13798.17874.2.17929.30.11.15.1.2.1.242.1695.0j2j6.8.0...0.0...1c.1.OnGEh3b4gWE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c1f34d10efaf578&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=955

Q.E.D

I never said women are dressing up just for me, in fact I elaborated on this very concept. Women dressing up like this are capturing male attention in general, not just my attention. Also, the reason why girls go for this demographic is because it's easy, lucrative and non-threatening. Why the hell wouldn't women seeking this kind of attention target this culture? And I explicitly stated multiple times that it's within anyone's rights if they want to dress up in a couple of bits of masking tape at a gaming convention, I've just said a person doing this is worthy of contempt.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Astro said:
wild0061 said:
Mechalynx said:
Personally I don't think I would be offended if someone pretended to be more invested in videogames than they actually are. I know someone who does this and it doesn't really bother me at all. I'm offended when these types are blatantly trying to manipulate me with a bubbly attitude, partially exposed breasts and a half-baked reference to Mario - it's boorish, crass and insulting.

No, I don't want to fawn over you like you're precious commodity. You don't deserve special attention, but we both know that you'll succeed in getting it anyway. What a valuable gift you are for being born female, gee, I'm so glad the only women I ever hear from in this industry are either incessantly complaining about how sexist gaming is while contributing nothing worthwhile or exploiting male sexuality for personal gain with incredibly boring, artificial and contrived cosplay.
I don't find their pretending to be insulting, everyone's welcome to make an ass of themselves. What I do mind is the assumption that it would somehow ingratiate them with me.

Don't mind the boothbabes, though. They never inspired me to buy their product, but I don't mind checking them out if they look nice enough. But that's honest business.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Vault101 said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I think we should all just hold hands and be happy about video games.
awww...he got banned :(

I was having fun releasing some rightous anger....
Well what gets me is that there are people who think 'fake nerd girls' are 'all girls.'

It stretches my imagination that these girls exist that pretend to like video games for attention, I mean playing 400 hours of Skyrim or whatever when you don't actually like it has to be excruciatingly boring right. But then there are guys who think anyone with girl parts is doing it for their attention, that's just bizarre and hideously self centred.

But yeah this all really gets to me. Gaming is probably the most important thing to me and it makes me feel a bit sick people think this way about my gender. :(

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
Vault101 said:
I think we should all just hold hands and be happy about video games.
awww...he got banned :(

I was having fun releasing some rightous anger....
Well what gets me is that there are people who think 'fake nerd girls' are 'all girls.'

It stretches my imagination that these girls exist that pretend to like video games for attention, I mean playing 400 hours of Skyrim or whatever when you don't actually like it has to be excruciatingly boring right. But then there are guys who think anyone with girl parts is doing it for their attention, that's just bizarre and hideously self centred.

But yeah this all really gets to me. Gaming is probably the most important thing to me and it makes me feel a bit sick people think this way about my gender. :(
You don't have to dislike gaming to be trying to integrate yourself with gaming culture for male attention, games normally pretty entertaining even if you're bungling through them. Though if it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's a legitimate debate about whether every single girl is playing videogames for attention, it's more about whether it's harmful when there are girls using gaming in that way, or how often it happens if at all.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
such people (much like trolls) are idiots, and really shouldn't be encouraged

the complete lack of logic on tweedle-dum's part back there was of coarse rather annoying, but you know someone pretty wrong if they consistently ignore you and can;t answer questions...(I mean dark souls? what the fuck?)

[quote/]It stretches my imagination that these girls exist that pretend to like video games for attention, I mean playing 400 hours of Skyrim or whatever when you don't actually like it has to be excruciatingly boring right. But then there are guys who think anyone with girl parts is doing it for their attention, that's just bizarre and hideously self centred.[/quote]
I don't think fake nerd girls play 400 hours of skyrim...they just bluff their way through (aprently from what I can gather) I won;t deny their existance...since this all really comes down to peoples personal experience

[quote/]But yeah this all really gets to me. Gaming is probably the most important thing to me and it makes me feel a bit sick people think this way about my gender. :([/quote]
aside from the tweedle dees and tweedle dums of the internet I think one thing people don;t consider it can be reasonable to discern between "reals" and "fakes"

but when that line is blured..THATS the problem...thats where the sexism comes in...just look at the felicia day fiasco

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
It's very frustrating, it's almost like we are socially screwed if we openly enjoy it and of course if we keep it a secret we get 'women don't like video games shut up'.

:(
[small/]well I once went on an angry rant about how everyhting abotu being female sucked[/small]
there is a silver lining though...for what its worth being female can give you more of a free pass for being a "basment dwelling neck beard"

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Vault101 said:
It's very frustrating, it's almost like we are socially screwed if we openly enjoy it and of course if we keep it a secret we get 'women don't like video games shut up'.

:(
[small/]well I once went on an angry rant about how everyhting abotu being female sucked[/small]
there is a silver lining though...for what its worth being female can give you more of a free pass for being a "basment dwelling neck beard"
That is very true lol. Although I'm not exactly a social butterfly as it is :p

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
Smeatza said:
Surely everyone realises that fake nerd guys get the piss taken out of them by "real" nerds as well.
Noone here with any kind of dealings in either the tabletop or video game sub culture will deny that. I sure as heck don't.

The point is that, lately, I've been having my card checked soley on the basis of being female, NOT whether or not I prefer 4.0 over 3.5, not over which MST3k host I prefer, not which religious parallel's were made in the first Silent Hill, ect...
Well I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm not particularly interested in you or any other sole individuals, but the general trends.
As far as I can tell this is more an issue with the fact that video gaming has exploded in popularity over the past few years and "fake" (it might be more accurate to use the word casual) gamers have been popping up like daisies for both genders.
The "real" nerds (again a better phrase to use might be long-standing) do not like that their hobby is being adopted by ones who once ostracised it (mainstream society), and so a certain amount of scorn is placed on those "fake" gamers.

The fact you are female is almost negligible, you would receive the same reaction if you were to say you liked Angry Birds, Call of Duty, or any of the other innumerable things these "real" nerds consider a reason to accuse you of being fake.

So your card isn't being checked "solely on the basis you being female." It's being checked due to a general atmosphere of fear and apprehension of change within the community. And the excuse they're using to check your card in particular is your gender.

And this brings me back to my original post, females aren't being exclusively targeted for this, I would argue they aren't even on the main receiving end of it (that - I think - would be college gamers).

So instead of pandering to the media narrative by focusing exclusively on females, surely we should take a step back, realise this is a symptom of a larger problem that is bound to fix itself and that this sensationalism isn't helping anything.

Sorry for the long post everyone, I got a little carried away.