Jimquisition: Five Scary Games For Halloween Probably

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
My brother brought his kids over and I let them play the P.T. demo. Ear-piercing screams followed.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Scissor-man attacked us and everyone scattered!

I'm really glad that Haunting Ground didn't make it onto the list. I played it around when it came out, and contrary to popular opinion, I felt the game kinda sucked. It was good for about three minutes, but lacked the power to keep me interested.

There's also Baroque. If you can sit through Baroque's lower levels without your stomach churning as you're not quite sure if it's simulation sickness or the visuals are just that gut-wrenching. ALSO IT'S A ROGUE-LIKE ON THE PS2. Not since Azure Dreams was there a pre-indie-boom Rogue-like.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I stopped playing Clock Tower 3 after the very first ghost when it was clear I had to go out of my way to be in danger of/get killed by the stupid thing. It just stood there waiting for me to get within two meters of it's Haunting Ground (incidentally a better game, I think) about 6 times before snapping my schoolgirl spine. Maybe it was just the training ghost, but I see now I missed some fucking hilarious cutscenes at the very least.

Seriously, that bit came off as one of those deleted-scenes fanfiction type things where someone takes a peaceful, touching scene and goes "AND THEN A GUY WITH A CHAINSAW RUNS IN AND SLICES THEM INTO BACON AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
It was much, much funnier than I'd have ever given such a thing credit for.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Nice post credits scene!
But Scarecrow, did you gain a pound here or there sinds I last saw you get beaten up by Batman?
I thought your game was to look skeletal, so you appear like a ... what's the word... Ah, yes, like a scarecrow!

Thanks for the game suggestions, Jim!

themilo504

May 9, 2010
00.38 I was expecting a gamergate joke, but you saved that one for after the credits, sigh how I just wish that gamergate people would stop bothering you, it?s only making them look bad.

I get scared far too easily(hell I found the original doom to be a surprisingly creepy game) so I generally avoid horror games, so I?m probably not going to buy these games.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I've never played Clocktower 3?Is it me or the scene would be actually hard to watch if the killer didn't talked?

It just felt like a B-horror vibe to me.

Donnicton

Apr 28, 2014
Jim, being a fellow Vita fan, have you tried Corpse Party yet?

The game looks like something that fell out of RPG Maker, but if you combine it with a dark room and some headphones, it will be an experience you won't soon forget.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
This has been pissing me off for a while now. Why the hell is the audio in these videos so much higher than other Escapist videos? My ears bleed every damn time because it's turned up after Feed Dump and ZP. Grah.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
The Trapdoor theme brought a smile to my face. Any claymation series which has an episode called 'Sniff that' and lines like "he gobbled up old boney" deserves to be remembered.

OT Aliens Infestation is a fantastic Metroidvania game. It's a little short, but that lends itself to replays. It is tough and really annoying when you lose one of your favourite marines. Of course it was produced by Wayforward, awesome team.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It seems like Jim doesn't like Fantasia: Music Evolved. I'm still thinking on getting it.

Now I can't help wondering what was happening inside the killer's mind when he poured the acid...

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
Donnicton said:
Jim, being a fellow Vita fan, have you tried Corpse Party yet?

The game looks like something that fell out of RPG Maker, but if you combine it with a dark room and some headphones, it will be an experience you won't soon forget.
Remember, ain't no party like a Corpse Party y'all! And Critical Miss would agree!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/9104-Corpse-Party

Funnily enough though, to respond to this quote specifically, the original Corpse Party was actually an RPG Maker game. Fans have it translated and released for free (since it was a free game after all to play), and a version of Blood Covered is going to be released on PC sometime this year. If anything, you should play it for the audio, they did some great stuff with it. I'd honestly place it up there near Silent Hill. It's not exactly for everyone (it can get a bit weird depending), but as far as horror games go you can't go wrong with it. The first one released on PSP works on Vita, so no worries about having to dig an older handheld up.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Trishbot said:
Cold Fear:

Everyone who played Resident Evil 4, and then was letdown by how unscary Resident Evil 5 was, should try this game out. It was a very obviously copy of RE4, but that's the point... it was a better RE4 experience than RE5 or RE6 were, with better atmosphere, monsters, and scares to go along with it. Really underrated.
I loved Cold Fear. I've said on here before that I always thought it got one thing that even the Resident Evil series took too long to figure out, that Resident Evil on a boat is a terrific concept. Ah well.

Anyways, I suppose I might throw up Echo Night: Beyond as a lesser known horror game on here. I loved the game, terrifically atmospheric, if you could get past the iffy voice acting.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Lightknight said:
Thanatos2k said:
Yeah, Mark Hamill has retired as the Joker like three times now. I do think he's serious this time though, sadly.
Depends on the paycheck, probably.
He said it's not the paycheck that will bring him back; I don't think he really cares about it that much. I mean, you can tell during behind the scenes stuff and interviews that doing the voice all these years was really hard on his vocal cords and you can see all the work he puts in just for the sake of his love of the character. It was too much.

He has promised to only come back if they do an animated adaption of The Killing Joke. I think he's actually endorsed fans petitioning for this. Regardless of what happened and what is happening now, I don't blame him. I don't think a good paycheck is worth what the role's done to him, as much as he loved the role, so it's perfectly honorable he stuck with it as long as he could and that he said he wanted to retire his Joker "on a high note". Still, if he's willing to come back for an animated adaption of something I've heard is really good, but will probably never read then I'm all for it. Chances are it's not going to happen though.

OT: I played Lone Survivor at my friend's house on his PS3. Didn't go through too much, but I remember somewhat liking what I played. Of what little I played it got a bit weak in some departments, but it's a serviceable enough distraction if you're looking for something atypical in the psychological and survival horror genre. 2D indie by itself is a little atypical for the genre let alone the other concepts that make up the game. This is especially true among its triple AAA brethren like The Last of Us,the Resident Evils, the Dead Risings, and many others.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
DirgeNovak said:
I've had Lone Survivor since the Vita version came out, but I still haven't played it. I'll correct this mistake this week.

I'll throw in The Suffering as a suggestion. A little rough around the edges, but still a really great action-horror series.
You know as soon I saw that title I wanted to mention The Suffering
I am glad that someone else has actually played it