Jimquisition: Fun & Priorities

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Fun & Priorities

Grand Theft Auto V is designed to be fun, says Rockstar. Sounds like a no-brainer, but that little bit of PR buzztalk says a lot more than you may think.

Watch Video

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I thought that you were going to talk about using 'fun' as an excuse for games. If games are looked at as art, they don't necessarily need to be fun, they just need to be engaging.

EDIT: No I'm not against fun games, my point is about using 'fun' as an excuse, or vice versa. Fun is subjective after all.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Well done Jim. You've now given publishers a detailed guide on how to PR speak their way into making people think they give a shit about us.

And none of them save the ones who mean it will ever use it ever.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Jim, since you mention The Lone Ranger for what it clearly is, have you seen the other end of the spectrum: Pacific Rim?

Grown Ups 2 it's overtaking it at the box office by the same average moviegoer that seems to hate Pacific Rim, clearly because... I don't have a fucking clue. I gave up trying to understand mankind a long time ago, I just watch you show for Halloween costume ideas, really.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Honestly, this is probably the best episode in a long while for me. Focused more on how things relate to both the consumer and developers (whilst giving the publishers the finger of course).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I like the way the intros and outros are getting stranger and crazier as the series progresses. One day you will hit a wall though, where you will have to do something so crazy it cannot be beaten.

As for the topic, I cannot say I really noticed that they kept talking about the fun factor, but then again I was watching the video thinking how much fun it is going to be to play it, so I guess the message still sunk in. I definitely agree that the similarities between movies and triple A games are beginning to become glaringly obvious, I think out of the last ten "big" games that I have played, only around three felt like the game actually had some passion put into it, a lot of the time it felt like a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Unfortunately as long as the games sell, certain developers really won't care, they get the money and that's what matters to them. While a lot of people on gaming websites and forums will complain about the games, the fact the numbers say people still want it will ultimately sway them to stick with what they are doing.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I just assumed they keep emphasizing fun for GTA 5 because GTA 4 was anything but fun. It was tedious and boring with the same shit controls as last gen GTA games. So it's good news that after 8 years, Rockstar has arrived at gen 7 with it's controls.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Did you kiss Kirby's bum at the end of that video?
Does Kirby have a "bum"?

Anyway, good show Jim. I wish a few more games would just do what they want because they think it's going to be fun, but too often they go with what they "think" is popular and will sell.

I'd be sad that games like the last Resident Evil do indeed sell, but apparently 5 million isn't enough for the people selling it, so there ya go. If it isn't working(enough for them at least), I'd wonder why they keep doing the same thing.

Thank God for you, Jim. ;D

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I rather like the emergency "I didn't prepare anything so here's an interesting story" approach.

Jims' script voice is really different from his "funny thing happened to me the other day.." voice.

What's the bets the chrisitian girl comes back looking for the "actual home owner"?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I got a different vibe from what Rockstar is saying.
For me it goes something like:

"We're sorry. We're so sorry. Dear lord you were right what the hell were we thinking. Our last game was a joyless angsty mess that wouldn't let you have your own fun between missions. We promise it won't happen a- just a second, phone call."
"TEETEES"

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I saw something different when I watched the GTA5 trailer and heard them banging on about fun. It sounded to me like they were saying they're going the opposite direction from 4, which was not fun. I know they were trying to tell a story and lots of people liked the game. But I didn't find it fun at all. It was a slog. And when I finished it, I never booted the game up again until the DLC had been out for over a year. And only then as a curiosity.

GTA4 left a bad taste in the mouth for me. It took away so much from previous games in the series. 5 seems to be bringing back the fun, which never should have left in the first place. If anything, "FUN" being thrown about feels most like an apology than anything.

But I hope Jim is right and that the game turns out to be great because Rockstar knows they will get the sales, and they want to say once again "Here is WHY we get the sales".

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
GTA V will sell like hot cakes, everyone will own at least one copy... and it still will be a financial disappointment...