Jimquisition: Fun & Priorities

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
All of this should be fairly obvious. ...unless you're an accountant I guess.
I've got an accounting degree, and this is obvious to me. Though I'm fine with being the exception tp the rule.

Was the story in the intro true Jim?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I've heard a good way to get door to door preachers to leave you alone is tell them you're excommunicated. Sounds like it'd work.

More OT: never really thought about the difference between putting something in there to sell a game... always kinda rolled with the assumption that fun was supposed to be the selling point.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Fun & Priorities

Grand Theft Auto V is designed to be fun, says Rockstar. Sounds like a no-brainer, but that little bit of PR buzztalk says a lot more than you may think.

Watch Video
So I can't stop myself from asking any longer:

What is it with the shrimp you put in every video? I can't make any kind of sense out of it, save that, from the audio context, it's some kind of "THIS SHIT IS BAD" visual flag. Is there anything more to it, or did you just decide one day that prawns were evil and would be used to represent evil forevermore?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Really Jim? You didn't share the Gospel of Jim with that poor misguided woman? You are just going to let her worship the false shepherd?

I joke but seriously the use of the word fun is of no significance at all. This is basically a PR guy sitting in the back crunching numbers saying "Streamlined" doesn't fair well with audiences. We would do better to replace the word with fun, that has tested much better.

It is not uncommon for PR people to literally mandate the disuse or the use of a word simply because of the effect it will have. It seems Jim bit the bait hook line and sinker and made an entire episode praising the PR guy's smart move playing straight into his hand.

Fun is just another word for streamlined until the final product gets released and we can see for ourselves.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Magog1 said:
I guess Illinois is filled with dumb people like me.
Having a different subjective judgement than others is fine, but this is nerd culture so you're going to get a lot of people ready to counter with in-depth descriptions of why something didn't work for them. GTA4, for example was relatively humorless, slow, controlled really wonky for its time, and is forever compared to Saints Row Two. SR2 had a lot of pot humor, wacky side-missions, and was still grounded in drama (the Brotherhood in particular was a sickening escalation of revenge).

But no, you're not dumb for liking anything, unless it's drinking bleach.
edit- or Dominos pizza. seriously.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Agayek said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Fun & Priorities

Grand Theft Auto V is designed to be fun, says Rockstar. Sounds like a no-brainer, but that little bit of PR buzztalk says a lot more than you may think.

Watch Video
So I can't stop myself from asking any longer:

What is it with the shrimp you put in every video? I can't make any kind of sense out of it, save that, from the audio context, it's some kind of "THIS SHIT IS BAD" visual flag. Is there anything more to it, or did you just decide one day that prawns were evil and would be used to represent evil forevermore?
The what in my videos?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
karma9308 said:
canadamus_prime said:
All of this should be fairly obvious. ...unless you're an accountant I guess.
I've got an accounting degree, and this is obvious to me. Though I'm fine with being the exception tp the rule.

Was the story in the intro true Jim?
Well maybe just brain dead corporate executives then.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My problem is that Rockstar is know for making games that are...how shall I put it? Not fun? Maybe that's too obvious...

Point is, I don't for a second trust Rockstar's saying 'No trust us, online play will make the game fun!" is any different that "No trust us, Dead Space 3 will appeal to a wider audience." As far as i can tell, every bad choice made in AAA gaming, Rockstar is also making. The only difference is Rockstar has as gall to call them 'fun', where as EA is a least honest that they just want more money. It sounds like Rockstar knows its game wont sell well, that its already failed to appeal to a larger audience and it now covering its ass so when sales are dismal, they can say "Oh, I guess people don't like fun. Did we establish that? Our games are fun!"
Its all very corporate and transparent. Jim usually would call them out, saying 'Who cares if YOU think your game looks fun? Prove to us, the gamers, that its fun! Prove to US that adding online play is fun rather than just telling us this is what fun looks like and if we don't buy it, well I guess we don't like fun."

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
T3hSource said:
I thought that you were going to talk about using 'fun' as an excuse for games. If games are looked at as art, they don't necessarily need to be fun, they just need to be engaging.

EDIT: No I'm not against fun games, my point is about using 'fun' as an excuse, or vice versa. Fun is subjective after all.
this is kinda what you sound like

[http://imgur.com/xel4PUq]

Yes fun might be subjective, but so is everything else in a game. Calling "fun" an excuse would be silly because fun things are fun.

of course is the things marketed as fun isn't fun at all then that's a whole other issue.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
AC10 said:
I really didn't find GTA4 to be any fun though x_x.
Because it doesn't appeal to you, see, see what I did, DID YOU ALL SEE WHAT I DID!? I'm so smart...

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Going from GTA:SA to GTA 4 was, what I felt at least, a step backwards. Now with three main characters, a large open world that is open at the start, and new side activities and ways to spend money other than to buy guns, this is starting to look like a major evolution for the series.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
TheMemoman said:
Jim, since you mention The Lone Ranger for what it clearly is, have you seen the other end of the spectrum: Pacific Rim?

Grown Ups 2 it's overtaking it at the box office by the same average moviegoer that seems to hate Pacific Rim, clearly because... I don't have a fucking clue. I gave up trying to understand mankind a long time ago, I just watch you show for Halloween costume ideas, really.
I figure it has fallen victim to Michael Bay's Transformers movies. Those movies were all successful, and varying degrees of unpleasant. That is the trouble with soulless cash-ins that work, they tend to ruin the market for the very things they are cashing in on.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That's funny - I was watching the GTA5 video thinking "Ooh, that looks fun. And that. That looks fun too. I am now interested in this game." THAT'S why! They put the surbliminers in my advertising - I've been had! Damned Rockstar.

I was also confused by the intro story, in that I thought the direction it was going to take was that Jim would open the door and the lady would go "Oh my God! I mean Oh my Jim!" and then give him all the monies she'd previously been collecting. After all, if you're collecting for your church you're collecting for Jim.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
Let's hope the controls are WAY better than what we usualy see from Rockstar. So it could be more "fun".

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
The Dead Space 3 Microtransactions are one of the best examples of bad game design motivated by cash-flow. If part of a game is so tedious or boring that people want to pay to skip it, why include it at all?

With GTA 5 I hope one of the fun changes is bringing back Vice City's cartoonish car physics. In GTA I want to peel around corners while mashing the accelerator and bouncing off curbs into the stratosphere. If I wanted realistic driving I'd buy Forza or something.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Seems like a slow week for news, but good point anyway. Though I don't think anyone was actually thinking of the right words to describe what their focus is, just an average explanation to get through it all like someone who's sick of life. The game play vids are the only thing that carries any weight, and GTA5 looked alright.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The video during the uncanny valley segment now makes me wish there was a horror video game that capitalizes on the effect. That thing (sitting on the chair) was scary.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
People of the Internet, you are allowed to say no to charities. You're only wasting your time and the charity's representative by trying to make a BS excuse to get out of it.