Jimquisition: Gamer Entitlement

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
UltraHammer said:
5:15
And what she has to say is,

"Video games are sexist, and you are sexist and want to exclude women from gaming for liking them unless you approve of me and my videos."

She doesn't usually say it explicitly and all at once, but if you ever once just pay attention to the words she says and the phrasing she uses, it's hard to miss.

It's entitled as shit, and people have given her shit about it.
Eh? You're making a point based of actively seeking out a predetermined answer that only exists in an interpreted form?

Unfortunately for you guy, people DO pay attention to the words she says, but they listen for a different message than you. Try to use actual quotes or something. It's easy to say what YOU think she MEANT but that can easily lead you to blowing it out of proportion while still not using any data. You can argue as much as you want, just do it with a method that can actually be supported. Not by telling people to look for your answer.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The_Kodu said:
Except literature analysis or indeed other media analysis normally relies upon presenting a lot of supporting evidence or fairly solid evidence.
Which she does. She demonstrates the existence of tropes, and then discusses why they are sexist.

If you are asking for evidence that sexism in media is harmful, then go read ANY Women's Studies book ever written. Anita doesn't need to prove that - hundreds of other people already have. If you disagree, go disagree with them and their articles.

If you are asking for evidence that tropes exist... there's a website called TV Tropes that records tropes in media.

This is what I really, really don't get. What do you want her to prove?

The_Kodu said:
Except when the subjective opinion of one person is trying to be pushed further onto others. If you were to take an objective look at it with clear evidence to support the claims then people will be able to say there could be an issues there.

Because to one person there is a problem doesn't mean there is a problem. E.g. I believe Justin Beiber adds nothing to music and is in fact holding musical development back. Does that mean no shop should sell it because we have very few classical music pieces being written now ?
No, of course it doesn't mean that no shop should sell it.

And when has Anita ever suggested that stores not sell video games?

That's the fear thing I mentioned in my previous post. Anita isn't trying to get people to stop having games. If you think she is, then that is irrational fear.

The_Kodu said:
So it's harmless to have a single persons highly subjective view being seen as a huge influence with many companies paying attention ?
I hope they do. Anita is asking writers to pay attention to the tropes they use and not be accidentally sexist. If they choose to use a trope while aware of its sexist implications, then fine, but she wants them to do so for artistic reasons rather than habit.

Anita is not trying to take your video games away.

The_Kodu said:
Part of the claim is not poorly researched all the time it's when clearly the research depth is there but information has been omitted when it doesn't agree with her points. Now this would be fine except when it comes to critical analysis and evaluation when you should bring these omitted points back in to actually point out how your point is not a definitive one and while evidence supports it, the evidence isn't definitive.
Except that's a different fallacy. Her point is that these sexist tropes exist. Examples of them not existing isn't a omitting data - it's irrelevancy. For example, the one time Princess Peach is not kidnapped does not discount the many, many times she is.

Anyway....

Why wasn't all this in your previous message?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
Icehearted said:
for her and her lies,
**and snip**

See? This. This is pathetic. Attacking someone's academic work by calling them a liar is a coward's attack.

Disagreement is one thing, but this sort of bile comes off as someone who is afraid.

At best, you end up sounding like a jerk. At worst, you sound nuts.
I attacked nothing, the video I posted in my previous comment was her own words, unedited, erroneous, contrary to fact, false, dishonest; she lied. Calling me names, attacking me, or implying I'm whatever derogatory adjective you like because I pointed out a visible fact that stands fully contrary to her own recorded statements doesn't change that she's lying.

Technically that wasn't even a rebuttal, you just started attacking me for pointing out a fact and demonstrating it. Her own video, right there, full of lies, in something that was clearly not researched at all, contrary to your previous statements that "A) you're wrong (her work is researched and presented just fine)". That video SHE made PROVES you're wrong and she's lying.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
@Bara No Hime

I disagree.

Her very first series, the Tropes against Women, allready shows that she, more often than not, either has no idea what shes talking about, or willingly ignores stuff to make up points.

Pointing at Bastion's Zia as a shallow character, calling out Rayman because the Nymph's appearantly fit the trope and other examples of either COMPLETELY ignoring Character development and/or Backstory so she can point at it and go "Durr, Sexism". So even IF I swallow that shes appearantly only doing research and essays and thus cant be critisized, shes STILL not doing it properly. Shes STILL pulling way too many arguments straight out of her ass.

Now, about the whole issue of her being a liar. You cant really prove anything there. Either she is indeed lying, in that she willingly ignores facts and background information so she can make her points, OR its just an error she keeps making. "See thing" -> "Judge as sexist based on initial observation regardless of background" -> "Move on". In the first case shes a liar, in the latter shes incompetent and/or lazy.

Since she DOES have a few good examples in her Vids, and makes a few points that are actually true, i'd say its just her Derping, and not actually bad intentions. What I WILL call her out for, and her Fanboys and Girls for that matter, is their inability to take critical opinions about her work. Im not trying to shut her down or prevent her from talking about this stuff. But I will call her out for her bullshit.

Also, talking at universities doesnt mean jacksh*t. Heck, I myself can apply to talk to classes! And i've had random Derps talk to me as well. Being invitied to something like that does not mean you're right, or that you're some kind of genius in your field. It just means that the University wants to promote discussion, and you sure as heck dont _need_ someone competent for that. Anita is pretty much living proof for that. She showed that you can be wrong on multiple ends, skip research and Information, and still talk about something and cause a racket. She just got lucky that such a huge bunch of morons made her so widely known, otherwise she'd vanished somewhere in the depths of the Web YEARS ago.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The_Kodu said:
Name one Princess who was involved in a battle as a fighter on the field?
Catherine of Aragon.

I can name her off the top of my head. I'd have to check Wikipedia for more.

The_Kodu said:
The task to be proved is two part.
1) These tropes are present due to inherent sexism and not alternative explanations.
2) That these tropes are harmful as evidenced by......
Okay, there's a problem with your issue right there.

1) She specifically says that the tropes are NOT due to "inherent sexism" but to them being classically used. They were tropes often created during more sexist times that are still used out of habit without any thought. She is asking people to recognize and examine those tropes, not to stop using them all together.

That is why she fails to prove your point - because she isn't making it.

... "soylent green is people" all over again...

2) Actually, that should read "sexism is harmful as evidenced by..." and it is answered by the entire field of Women's Studies.

You said elsewhere in the post that I can't cite an entire field. Yes I can. It's called "common knowledge". People within a field can make certain assumptions about what will be commonly known, and "sexism is bad" is common knowledge. Specific examples of certain types of sexism being bad is common knowledge within the field of Women's Studies. It is generally accepted by that entire field.

Thus, she does not need - to use a biology example - to prove that people breathe oxygen - because everyone already knows that.

The issue is that she is presenting these ideas to the general public who lack that common knowledge. And yes, that is an error on her part. However, it isn't academic dishonesty - it's the fact that she has a Women's studies degree and considers certain elements of that degree to be commonly understood (when they aren't). Just like how some, say, Chemistry professors will make jokes that no one but other chemistry professors get - because those jokes rely on common knowledge to them, but rarefied knowledge to the masses.

The_Kodu said:
But then don't we end up in a state where realistically nothing can be done for fear of offending anyone ?
Slippery slope fallacy. Moving on.

The_Kodu said:
Technically her point is these tropes exist, the thing she has to prove is that they are objectively sexist and that's the reason for their use
Again, she has specifically said the opposite - that sexism is NOT the reason for their use. Her concern (particularly in her newer videos) is to INFORM. To educate. To point out that tropes that people don't even think about using - don't even consciously realize they're drawing from - make sexist assumptions.

Case in point, one of my female friends recently pitched a story idea to me. It involved a male hero taking revenge for the murder of his wife. I looked at her and said "are you sure you want to fridge the wife?" She replied "Oh, I wasn't even thinking of it like that. Hm. What if he only thinks that she's dead, and it turns out..." and so forth. My female friend was going to use a sexist trope without even considering it. When I pointed it out to her, she came up with a new, much more interesting idea.

My female friend is obviously not sexist against women. She was going to use a classic motivation for a character because it was easy and it was the first thing that popped into her head. I pointed out the sexist implication and she pulled a new idea out of her head in less than 30 seconds - a better, more interesting, less cliche idea.

And here's another thing - sometimes you WANT to use the sexist trope. Sometimes you use the sexist trope for a reason, to accomplish a specific task. And that's fine! Great even! Anita isn't trying to forbid tropes from use - she's trying to teach people what they mean so that they will consider their use more carefully. That kind of thinking doesn't stifle creativity - it enhances it.

The_Kodu said:
1) in the previous game a female pilot called Kat often assisted the team as an equal
2) Krystal actually becomes a team member in the very next game
3) Krystal is heavily implied to be from a technologically inferior group to Andros the villain and rather than being "Evil guy captures girl" the other interpretation is "Technologically inferior faction loses to technologically more advanced faction"
Without examining the plausibility of alternatives you can harm your own argument.
1) A previous example of a good female character does not detract from the fact that Krystal was demoted in a sexist fashion.
2) What happened to Krystal in the next game has no bearing on her being demoted in the game in the example.
3) But that doesn't change the fact that it was HER GAME - and then it wasn't hers anymore. She was demoted from main character to supporting character.

None of those details have anything to do with Anita's point about female protagonists being weeded out in favor of male ones.

Those are only evidence of anything IF you make the incorrect assumption that Anita's point was "Starfox are evil sexist games and are bad." But that's not at all her point. She's saying that Starfox is an EXAMPLE of female protagonists being changed into male protagonists.

Starfox isn't the point, it's the EVIDENCE. It's the support for her larger argument.

This is why I feel like I'm talking to a wall every time I have this conversation. You - all of you, not just Kodu here - are so determined to believe that Anita is attacking specific games that you are missing her larger point about the games industry.

This is like people missing the point of the Bechtel test. You don't use the Bechtel test to judge an individual movie - it's designed to rate the overall industry using movies as an example. Everyone who tries to judge individual movies by the Bechtel test is missing the point.

You are missing Anita's point. It isn't about Starfox or Princess Peach. It's about the industry as a whole. It's about the building blocks of ALL writing, not just video games. Books, movies, TV shows - they all use these tropes. Anita has chosen to focus on Video games because Video games are art, but they've been largely ignored by Women's Studies. Anita is trying to bring video games into the same artistic discussions that are being had by the wider artistic community.

And you all are sitting around going "Starfox isn't sexist!"

You might as well say that "Pacific Rim doesn't pass the Bechtel test" - and miss the fact that Pacific Rim contains an incredibly strong and well developed female character. (and yes, there are feminists who do say that and utterly miss that far more important point)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Strazdas said:
She was doing a internet video series and then started a kickstarter to fund said series (That she was already doing). After she got funded neither her equipment, nor research (the reason she was asking money for) was improved.
Wow, that's a very loose definition of "scammed."

How do you know that she didn't buy new equipment? And as you say, she has continued to release new videos, as she said she would. I'm not seeing the scam here. Plenty of Kickstarter projects don't deliver everything they hope to. That's inherent to Kickstarter, and anybody backing a project should be prepared for failures.

I'm curious - did you back her project? Are the backers of her project upset about being scammed? Or are you just using this as an excuse to attack Sarkeesian, and be outraged on their behalf?

I get the feeling that you don't really care about the Kickstarter backers or how they feel at all - you just want another reason to denounce her.
Because she told what equipment she used before (gosh, that was a while ago now wasnt it, how time flies), and we also saw what equipment she is using now in some behind the scenes pictures. There is also the fact that the quality of videos have not been improved from a technical perspective.
She claimed she needs the money so she could buy the equipment and afford time for research. She has delivered on neither. She was making videos before the kickstarter as well, and as such nothing has changed since she got money other than she got to fly around the world giving lectures of "internet abuse". Delivering a product that wasnt all that we hoped for is completely fine, as you say its a risky investment. Not delivering what was promised however is a scam.

I did not back her project. In fact i havent backed a single kickstarter project. This is because while i think the idea of kickstarter is great, it is heavily abused for things like simply gauging interest instead of actually needing the funding. There is also the thing with me living in a country where monthly wage is bellow 500 dollars so there is much less to spare for such projects.

I despise people who lie and use their lies to gain fame/recognition/money. She falls into that category fie lieing to her fans on multiple occasions. I have no personal stake in this, nor do i want to stop videos about females in videogames or anything like that. I dislike her in particular for the actions that she done as i have decribed.

I am also a bit sad that something as simple as females in videogames can raise such contraversy where you would get witchunts of people claiming that anyone that disagrees with them is sexists and like that.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
Those are only evidence of anything IF you make the incorrect assumption that Anita's point was "Starfox are evil sexist games and are bad." But that's not at all her point. She's saying that Starfox is an EXAMPLE of female protagonists being changed into male protagonists.

Starfox isn't the point, it's the EVIDENCE. It's the support for her larger argument.
Except that the decision in this case wasnt made because of the trope, but because nobody knew who Krystal was. Did you seriously expect that they'd slap on the Starfox-label onto the Game and then NOT make Fox the Main Character? The example falls apart because it isnt a case of "male replacing female because of trope", its a case of "Lesser known Character being replaced by well known Character". If Dinosaur Planet got Metroid instead of Starfox, i'd expect Samus to be the main Character. If it was Zelda, it would be either her or Link. Gender doesnt even get into that equation, its common sense when it comes to marketing.

And if shes "educating", then one can expect that she actually gets her facts straight and does her homework, which she definetly doesnt in a lot of cases (Bastion/Rayman). You cant just hide her behind the fact that _appearantly_ she does objective studies and tries to educate and thus nobody is ever allowed to speak up about the Stupidities she regularly spits out. You are doing the exact same thing these "attackers" are doing, only from the other front.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The_Kodu said:
I think you're thinking of some-one else here ?
Quoted from the Wikipedia page on Catherine of Aragon:
"The Scots invaded and on 3 September she ordered Thomas Lovell to raise an army in the midland counties.[34]
Catherine rode north in full armour to address the troops, despite being heavily pregnant at the time."

Catherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry the 8th, led a military battle from the front lines as Queen of England.

The_Kodu said:
If the tropes themselves are not being used with sexist intent then it shows their use isn't automatically sexist.
Not these tropes are from a time when things were more sexist so using tropes from this time might bring up reminders of this time and um....... cause time to rewind ?
I'm lumping these two together.

Here is the point you are missing:

According to Women's Studies, certain elements of writing from the past - when women weren't citizens and were considered property of men - exist in writing and media today. Many people use those plot elements out of habit or because they are part of the culture. However, those plot elements (sometimes called tropes) are inherently sexist in and of themselves.

That is, the trope is sexist, the person using the trope is not. The trope is sexist, the work that contains it is not.

This basic idea - that the story structure itself can be sexist without the person using it even knowing - is "common knowledge" in Women's Studies.

All "sexist" means is that it treats women differently than men. That, by itself, is not inherently good or bad.

When Anita talks about the "danger of sexist tropes" she is talking about the fact that they tend to reinforce older ideas about gender roles - ideas that modern society outwardly scorns as being outdated and sexist.

You (and again, that's the wider you) can't seem to separate the idea that the trope can be sexist independently of the user or context.

You keep trying to prove that there is not "sexist intent" or that there is some contextual aspect that she is missing, but none of that matters to the idea that the tropes themselves are sexist independently of their user.

You, the viewers, keep congratulating additional meaning to everything she says. She is saying some fairly basic, low-key, mild things (in her more recent (last two years or so) videos anyway - if you go farther back in her timeline, she was more accusatory in her early videos - a stance she has stepped away from and put behind her, so you should as well).

The_Kodu said:
If these tropes aren't being used to promote sexism, then the fact sexism is bad is irrelevant to the debate until a link can be shown there's no connection right through. The point that needs to be proved is that these tropes are harmful.
Again, the idea that older tropes concerning women being treated differently - particularly like property, which was the origin of the Damsel in Distress trope - can affect modern treatment of women is a "common knowledge" aspect of Women's Studies.

Women's Studies is an entire field based on how older views of women affect women today - and the evolution of that treatment throughout history. Showing that is literally the entire POINT of the field of Women's Studies.

Again, it's like asking a mathematician to prove that... that calculus works. It's an inherent part of the field itself - the field couldn't exist without that basic aspect.

That said, there are some critics of the field of Women's Studies who question those assumptions. The field has critics who have some of the same issues that you all do with Anita. However, at the same time, they also have more proper research data and real scientific studies to back them up. How much impact all this has is a massive debate in the academic community, and has been for years.

Anita makes certain common knowledge assumptions based on years of research and supporting data from the Women's Studies academia. That's because she was a Women's Studies major. She was taught that these common knowledge are assumption are valid and correct - within her field. Outside her field, there are those that question those assumptions.

None of that makes her a bad researcher - it makes her work part of a larger discussion about Women's studies. Anita is just researching the way she was taught and assuming to be true what she has been taught it true by her professors.

The_Kodu said:
What kind of bear dissolves ?
A polar bear.....

sorry couldn't resist that one.
... I don't get it.

And that's just my point. I don't see how the pun on polar has anything to do with melting (unless you're implying that polar bears are made of ice?). I don't have whatever "common knowledge" is required to get that joke.

I'm a lit person who's taken a few analytical dips into Gender Studies and Women's Studies.

And, having read some of the stuff in Women's Studies, I can tell you that Anita's take on individual games (and the games industry as a whole) is actually fairly mild. You should see a Women's studies paper ripping Hollywood apart.

The_Kodu said:
Except fake death is also a sexist trope as it apparently comes under the trapped soul / not actually dead idea.
Exactly! My friend replaced one sexist trope with another. However, in response to what you said after that (and to avoid providing plot details of my friend's story), while she did use another sexist trope, she used it for a specific reason that would develop the wife character rather than making her a one dimensional character who only existed to die.

And that's the thing - sometimes you want to use a sexist trope. Maybe you want to deconstruct it (ie, to twist it in some way to use the audience's trope expectations to shock them), which is what my friend ended up doing. She makes the audience think she's fridged the wife, but later it turns out that something more complicated was going on. She plays with their expectations and fakes the reader out - and in doing so, examines the tropes rather than using them by rote.

The_Kodu said:
Except surely we shouldn't be decrying sexist anytime some-one uses such a trope but "Lazy writing"
Well, it's both.

Remember, sexism just means "treating men and women differently". It's not bad in and of itself. Women's Studies people (like Anita) aren't concerned about one person using a sexist trope - it's the repetition that bothers them. Hence why the concern is for the games industry not any one game.

The concern is that one reason that these tropes are used so often is that people don't understand what they mean or imply. Captured or dead females (to use Damsel as an example) are an easy, lazy way to get the male protagonist to do something.

The trope is lazy, but it works.

The sexism comes in because, most of the time, a female character is the Damsel. If the trope had an even split of men and women, it wouldn't be sexist, but in most writing, it is a female character who gets Damseled. Because the trope affects women more than men, it's sexist - because it treats men and women differently for no reason other than gender.

Women's studies doesn't want people to stop using this trope entirely. What they want is for people to think about the trope and what it implies before they use it. If they think about it first, then it is more likely that they will use it in a less lazy fashion and apply it with more care.

For instance, rather than making it a wife, lover, or daughter, they could kidnap a son. They did that in Lost and it worked great!

Or, to reference a book I just read, the hero shows up to rescue the kidnapped damsel and ends up fighting with her captor. He loses the upper hand and is about to be killed by the villain when the "damsel" hits the villain over the head, knocking him out, and saving the hero. The hero did all the work to get to her, and even fought the boss, but she helped him win. That allowed the normal hero-saves-girl progression, but with just a little twist at the end, it let the female not only save herself, but also save the hero. It made their budding romance seem more mutual and less possessive.

And there are plenty of other ways to modify the trope to make it more thoughtful and interesting. And these uses are fine (if still semi-sexist) because they avoid the lazy stereotype that women are helpless.

The lazy writing version sends the message that women are weak. Almost any minor change to the formula (aside from the fridge) breaks that.

Thus, Anita seeks to educate writers about the trope so they use it better. It's the laziness that's bad, because the laziness sends outdated messages and is also crappy writing.

The_Kodu said:
Except didn't we establish earlier the tropes themselves can be used without sexist implications?
Actually, the issue was that the trope was sexist without any intent on the author's part. But I also just did what you just said a moment ago.

And yes, exactly. That's the idea. Anita wants to point out the sexism of the tropes so that people can either avoid them or modify them. Either method works.

The_Kodu said:
Except was she demoted ?
She was demoted from main character to supporting character. Her actions as the supporting character may have been awesome, but she still took a step down. But we'll get to that...

The_Kodu said:
Because it became a main part in a franchise rather than an individual entity. Most likely to drive sales.
Yup. Because female protagonists don't sell video games. There was a whole stink about that not that long ago.

And yes, of course it was a business decision. But it was a sexist business decision based on the idea that a solo female protagonist wouldn't sell so they had to make the protagonist male. They chose Starfox, an established brand, but in doing so they eliminated a game that was going to add a second a female protagonist (the first being Samus) to Nintendo's lineup.

That sucks. That sucks a lot.

AND it was also massively off topic for her video. Like I said, Anita ain't perfect. She wandered off topic. Yes, Krystal gets damseled, but the much larger issue with Kyrstal is that she had her game stolen and given to a male protagonist. Yes, it was for money... but that doesn't make it suck less. That makes it suck more, because the games industry has convinced itself that female protagonists don't sell (even though they clearly do).

The_Kodu said:
Except if you're going to throw specific examples of games as evidence of a systemic issues it's kind of undermining your own point when that series itself has shown it's capable of having good female characters
No it doesn't. Her point is that the tropes cause accidental sexism, not intentional malice. Thus there's no reason why a game couldn't employ sexist tropes AND have a strong female character. She even mentioned that when she brought up Zelda - that Zelda was a great female character who ends up being damseled.

The point is that even good female characters from writers who clearly aren't sexist themselves get hit by sexist tropes because the writers are A) lazy or B) don't realize the trope is sexist. Educating people about how the tropes themselves can be sexist even without intent allows authors to avoid or modify to improve their writing.

The_Kodu said:
Except there is seemingly not discussion of her points allowed. Not directly anyway. Sure we can discuss them here but again they're not being presented as a discussion it's being presented as objective information.
That's because no one seems to want to actually talk about her points in context. Most people who want to "discuss" things with her end up
1) Threatening to rape or kill her (most extreme example)
2) Call her a liar or a bad academic
3) Defending specific games in an attempt to prove that the individual game isn't sexist without addressing the individual tropes within that are/may be.

Hardly anyone is actually discussing her points. I've said before, I don't actually agree with everything she says. I'd love to talk about all the ways I think Anita is wrong about stuff. But I can't because I'm too busy trying to deal with #2 up there (and occasionally #3).

On the #3 point - having a sexist trope in a game does not make the game sexist. It makes the one or two tropes used sexist and that's it.
Some games are sexist - like Duke Nuken Forever - because they are wall-to-wall sexism.
Other games are fine - great even, with good female characters - but still employ one or two sexist tropes.

Those two are not the same thing, and Anita isn't saying that they are.

Anita isn't saying that the Zelda game she mentioned - or even that Starfox game - are sexist games. They both contain good female characters that are developed and interesting.

They also both contain a common sexist trope - damsel in distress. That one trope does not somehow taint the rest of the game - it merely exists within it.

**catches breath**

You know, I normally don't go so far as four posts. Normally, once I have determined that someone just isn't going to listen, I cut my sanity losses. However, you Kudo actually seem to be listening to me. Disagreeing, but you're responding in a way that makes me feel like I might be getting through. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but...

The_Kodu said:
Except Pacific Rim is being used as an example to show the errors in a test which was developed pretty much as a joke itself. The Betchel test was adopted by people to fit the cause and wasn't designed to be used that way as such.
Which is exactly my point. You (and others) are trying to twist Anita into a Straw Feminist who hates all things that contain sexisism (the way some feminists twist the Betchel test into something it's not).

But she isn't. Pointing out a flaw in an otherwise good game isn't hating on the game - it's just pointing out a flaw.

I did it myself in another thread to prove a point - I can point out an example of homophobia in my very favorite game. And (as you may know), I am HUGELY against homophobia and speak out loudly against it. Yet my favorite game has an awful gay stereotype in it.

Does that ruin the game for me? Hell fucking no! The game is 99% awesome... and 1% homophobic. It's a minor flaw. Do I wish it didn't have that flaw? Sure. But I'm not going to stop replaying it and enjoying it just because there's one bad element.

That's what Anita's doing. She's pointing out flaws in otherwise good games (and some shitty games too) not to say that the games themselves are bad (or that their creators are bad), but to try to improve the thing she loves.

Yahtzee hates motion controls, but loves games - which is why he speaks out against motion controls - to try to improve games.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The_Kodu said:
This is where I pull out a horrible bit of information used in most social sciences.

7% that is the feedback level required to claim anything seen is valid. If you get a 55% feedback in favour out of a 7% return then you can claim validity. Essentially with 4% of a sample you could actually claim a point is valid. i.e. you have a sample size of 250, out of 250 you only get data on 18 of them, of those 18, 10 back up the claim. In a total sample size of 250 people you only need about 10 people supporting it to claim your research is valid.
Okay... I'm failing to see the connect here. So 10 people out of 250 think something's valid. Do you have evidence that... that the entire field of Women's Studies is somehow operating on a 4-7% threshold?

Just because something can operate with that low of a percentage doesn't mean it does. And I'm not seeing any evidence that it does.

The_Kodu said:
Sorry if I scoff at a 4% positive result being used as confirmation. If you want to point me to some sources with a higher than 4% positive claim then feel free however if it's common knowledge in Womens studies then I must apply common research and validity information. Which is actually kind of highlighting the issues in social sciences and why people do tend to ignore them. I mean 4% of a sample being positive.
Ah! So you're saying that you think all of Women's Studies is bullshit?

Okay then! Now we're getting somewhere.

If you think so, then Anita is not a bad Women's Studies researcher - she's a typically Women's Studies researcher. You don't like her field.

And that's fine! What I dislike is people acting like Anita personally is somehow bad. If you just hate Women's Studies, then you hate the whole field, not just her.

There are academic fields that I dislike too! And, if one of those fields tries to tell me about something in my field, I ignore them because they're full of crap. I don't take it personally and attack one individual because they happen to be in that academic field.

And no, I won't say which one(s) to avoid insulting anyone.

The_Kodu said:
So now we've got the the point of the matter here where it can be pointed out Anita actually claims when the trope is reversed then it's equally sexist due to being seen as tokenism. So despite the trope being reversible it's still sexist because it's being done differently ?

But then you run the risk of tokenism which is as bad.

Also no matter how you try to change it you still seemingly get caught by it.

If you go by Anita's own argument you can't simply twist the trope as then it becomes tokenism.

Heck sometimes the idea of parody to highlight the trope and the madness of it is ignored and tarred with the same brush.

Except again Anita pointed out if you reverse the trope it is still sexist. Even if it were applied equally to male and female characters it is still sexist.

then its tokenism or actually worse you're promoting the use of the trope against male characters while decrying it's use against female ones. That in itself is inherently sexist.

this is another form of tokenism being shown where the Damsel is allowed some power but this undermines the character further. (Again brought up by Anita in her series)

Anita has gone through most of the possible modifications and also called them as sexist.

Does deliberate parody therefore condemn a game?
I lumped these quotes together because they all address tokenism.

Ahem.

Tokenism is bullshit, and here's why. One of the main issues that Anita's analysis has is that she fails to address deconstruction of tropes or tropes that started sexist but are becoming gender neutral.

One of her most common failings is failing to address deconstruction - particularly parody, satire, gender-swapping.

All three are methods by which tropes are challenged and evolve. By failing to recognize them, she fails to acknowledge the progress that art is making and the intent of the artist. After all, if the trope is being used to examine gender roles and call them into question, then that work of art is taking positive steps to address and correct the misconceptions once carried by the trope. That is positive progress and incredibly feminism-positive.

And that is the issue I most disagree with Anita about.

But I can't discuss that issue while everyone is calling her a liar. There needs to be a common ground for discussion - and an acceptance that she is a normal, standard, typical Women's Studies writer before we can actually talk about whether she is actually right or wrong about the Women's Studies issues she brings up.

So when Anita claims that Tokenism is bad, she fails to realize that what she claims to be tokenism is actually a disassociation of some tropes from their sexist roots to a more gender-neutral location. They shouldn't be scorned but praised.

Speaking of Anita's mistakes, she mentions during the Damsel series about the trope wherein a partly mutated or transformed individual begs for death and is killed by the player.

She claims it is a sexist trope. However, that trope, when seen outside of video games, is actually almost entirely gender neutral. It's a horror trope - the loss of self, the body horror, etc. The only reason it seems like a sexist trope in games is because in games it is often combined with Damsel in Distress - but since Damsel is somewhat less common outside of video games, the trope association is far less common outside of video games, and it's inclusion in video games is more likely a tribute to the gender-neutral horror titles that inspired the writers than it actually being an inherently sexist trope.

**happy sigh**

I have been waiting so long to say that.

But, just like one sexist thing in a game doesn't make the whole thing sexist, Anita being crappy at lit interpretation of deconstruction and parody doesn't make her a bad Women's studies major or a bad person - it makes her a normal human who made a mistake in her work.

Being wrong doesn't make her a bad researcher. It just makes her incorrect.

While people are calling her a liar or whatnought, they miss the fact that there are far more civil ways to discuss this. If you scream "liar" then you get discounted as a nut job (by anyone who actually is part of this discussion). However, if you question the validity of her analysis and point out how things like parody help to change tropes and call attention to the need for equality, then you can join the discussion and be a part of perhaps changing her mind rather than sending her into her combat bunker to hide.

The whole "she isn't open to discussion" accusation irks me because of that - I wouldn't be open to discussion either if people kept screaming at me. Come to the table calmly and discuss things within the bounds of Women's Studies, and you can still point out her errors, but as one academic to another rather than as a mob to the person they want to lynch.

The_Kodu said:
Except she hasn't stepped away from it as can be seen when she shows open disdain when talking about male power fantasies.
Yeah, she's kind of a jerk sometimes. Being disdainful makes her a jerk, not wrong (or right or anything else - it's irrelevant).

The_Kodu said:
And that's an exclusively female problem ?
Sorry plenty of people in the media spotlight get that. Heck I'm a very small time indie game reviewer and I've been called an unprofessional crackhead and told I should go die.
That's mostly an internet problem, actually. The internet does tend to go straight to the hyperbole. But it has been particularly bad in the case of Anita.

I mean, sure, you get some crazies telling you to die - but you also probably get people who want to have serious, intelligent talks with you about why you disliked (or liked) a certain game. And I can never find anyone who wants to have those about Anita. You are, actually, one of the few who's been this willing to debate at this level, even if you're still coming off as a bit stubborn. But then I'm one to talk. :p

The_Kodu said:
if you follow how the arguments have gone you can see the Dragon's crown controversy quickly turned to attacks on the developer.
Once again, internet hyperbole. Anyone attacking the developers of Dragon's Crown and calling them bad people is just as bad as the people calling Anita bad names.

The worst the developers of Dragon's Crown can properly be accused of is having bad taste. And actually I liked a lot of the character models. Others... ick, no so much.

The_Kodu said:
Except there's no room being given for discussion.
There Tropes exist
These tropes are sexist
These tropes are therefore negatively impacting people.
pointing out the alternative reasons for this is just one way to counteract this.
Yes, there is room for discussion. First off, at the most simple, there's the conversation of "and so, how can we change things for the better? How can we write better stories that don't rely on sexism?"

But there's also the other discussion, the "Ah, but parody is a tool for change. Parody - and deconstruction in general - makes people question tropes and their expectations as players. Discounting parody discounts the best method for changing public opinion about well-entrenched tropes and ideas."

These are discussions that can only be had once people stop calling her names and calling her a "liar" because they happen to disagree with her.

The_Kodu said:
Except Yahtzee acknowledges he doesn't like them and acknowledges as such he is biased against them,
But he likes Nintendo. He's a huge fan of Mario and Metroid as series. He doesn't like one aspect, which he loudly proclaims he doesn't like.

Anita doesn't like sexist tropes. Which she loudly proclaims. But she likes the games those tropes are in (particularly Zelda).

I'm not seeing how this comparison fails.

Anyway....

This has actually been really productive. You've acknowledged a lot of my point, allowing me to work my way down to the real core issues.

1) If you just hate Women's Studies in general, then fine, but stop taking your hatred for an entire field of Academia out on a single woman who happens to be a part of said field. It isn't her fault you dislike her area of expertise.

2) If you want to call her out for the fact that Anita doesn't seem to understand what parody or deconstruction are, then great! Do that! Because that is a literary analysis. That is academic discourse. And that is one of her most serious flaws as an analyst.

3) What I can't stand is people saying "I disagree with your analysis - therefore you are a horrible liar." Having a different opinion and believing that your evidence supports your idea isn't lying - it's being wrong. Two different things. Anita clearly believes that she is true - and if you believe in something that is false, you aren't lying, you're wrong.

If you believe what you're saying is true, then you aren't a liar.

Anita believes what she says is true. Therefore Anita =/= liar.

Anita might be wrong - she might fail at analysis when it comes to genre deconstruction - but she isn't a liar.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Okay, I'm gonna try to keep this short (edit: which I utterly failed to do). I think we've generally reached rapport here (still not quite on the same side, but at least in hand-shake distance), so I just want to comment on a couple of quick things.

The_Kodu said:
Do I have evidence this is true for Women's studies ? No
Have I been told by 3 different people in social sciences (Two Doctors of social science and one PHD student) that this is the case for most fields of social science ? Yes
As I generally understand it, that is the reason that they typically go with massive collection pools. Your example used 250 which ended up being filtered down to 14 usable and 10 positive.

However, if you up the initial number polled to 25,000 (kinda overly high, but not out of the realm of possibility for an ambitious project) then you'd end up with an actual pool of 1,400. If you end up with 1,000 positive to 400 negative from a pool that large, then the findings aren't nearly so bad - and you're still using the same percents. It's just that 23,600 people didn't respond at all (and thus were thrown out).

That was done using all your numbers and examples, just an increase in starting pool.

I did that because I know less than you about the Social Sciences in general. I've read a few books on Women's Studies... and I didn't much like them. I needed to get a general understanding as a Lit Theory person so I could interpret certain kinds of Feminist theory (which is a lit thing, not a social science thing, but there is cross-over).

I generally find Women's Studies people to be kinda overblown and overly dramatic - like Anita. I can often see a sort of core idea that I agree with, but Women's Studies (because it is so focused) tends to be too extreme for me.

When Antia first became a thing, I watched a video or too and said "oh, Women's Studies 101 for video games. Huh." And that was that. It wasn't until the explosion that I went back and said "well, I disagree with a lot of this, but I also agree with a lot of it, so I should probably get out there and try to calm people down so we can actually talk about the relevant feminist points."

Thus where we stand now.

I am a third wave Feminist. I have lots of issues with video games (and TV and movies, etc). And I want to talk about those issues. The attacks on Anita serve, among other things, to make it MUCH more difficult to talk about the issues I have because everyone starts screaming about her as soon as the topic gets brought up now. The incoherent rage - much of which is over the fact that a lot of people don't understand how Social Sciences work - is preventing me (and other women) from having meaningful dialogues about the topic.

That's (one of) the reasons I keep trying to just calm everyone the fuck down.

The_Kodu said:
Except the problem is by modern standards she's actually pretty bad as a researcher due to nor presenting the information showing critical analysis of it. A few years ago maybe she'd have been considered a typical Women's studies writer however now with higher standards brought in she's really not.
On that point - she got her degree several years ago. She's been doing this, what four years now? She'd have been trained under the "old school" approach.

Hell, since I don't dip much into the social sciences, I didn't even know that they'd improved the quality.

Also...

Color me sad that you weren't interested in talking about my actual criticisms of Anita. I finally got to say them and... still, no one wants to talk about them. You'd rather keep talking about Anita's research methods. **sad face**

See, this is what I'm talking about. Rather than poking holes in Anita, we should be moving the discussion forward, away from her, towards some of the relevant issues she brings up. Even if only 50% of what she says is on target and the other half is crap, that's still 50% that can be discussed.

"Even a bad book can give you a good idea." -- Me.

The_Kodu said:
This is where the issues come in. you see a good researcher now would have spotted the error or at least some of the errors however carrying on without paying any attention to the flaws is now considered poor research.
Except that isn't necessarily the case. If she firmly believes that her interpretation is correct, she isn't going to go looking for flaws.

And that isn't "bad research" - that's reality.

Case in point - there is a ton of evidence in Hamlet (yes, I'm talking Shakespeare - you opened this door earlier with your Romeo and Juliet example) that Queen Gertrude murdered Ophelia.

Evidence) In her very last scene, Ophelia walks up to Gertrude, hands Gertrude a bunch of herbs (all of which can be used to perform medieval abortions), calls her an adulterer to her face, and then walks away.

There is then a scene change (the scene cuts to Hamlet, and then back). We return to Claudius and Laertes finishing the conversation they were having after Ophelia left, indicating that it has been something like 5-20 minutes since the previous scene.

Gertrude walks in and says "oh my, Ophelia (who just called me an adulterer to my face and suggested that I get an abortion) slipped and fell off a cliff and died."

Additional Support) During the entire play previous, Hamlet faked madness (sort of) as a way of saying things he wouldn't normally be able to say. Ophelia then behaves as insane - but collects birth control and abortion herbs and tells the King and Queen (to their faces) that they are adulterers and that they shall Rue the day. To quote her father, "there's a method to this madness."

Additional Support) At Ophelia's grave, Gertrude claims that she wanted Ophelia to be Hamlet's daughter. However, it is well established that such a marriage would never have been allowed. Such an over-the-top claim harkens back to the Play-within-a-Play where the fictional Queen tells her husband that she will never, ever remarry or love again, and Gertrude herself says "me thinks the lady doth protest too much"

Conclusion: Gertrude murdered Ophelia in response to the insult (and possibly for realizing that Gertrude is pregnant, if she is, which is another point of debate) by pushing her off that cliff. She feels guilty (or is at least fearful of discovery) so is overly dramatic in her sadness over the death of a servant's daughter.

That was a long example. Ahem. The point is, there is a ton of evidence in the text to support this claim.

And yet, hardly anyone accepts this version of events. Does that make everyone else bad researchers? No. It means that all those other researchers have their own biases concerning the content of this play, and are unwilling to consider such a radical departure from their expectations.

That doesn't make them bad - it makes them human, with flaws and biases.

I think Anita is heavily biased towards Women's Studies interpretations of everything - because she was a Women's Studies major. It happens. We're taught to see the world in a certain way and that becomes the only way we can see it.

And if that makes on a "bad researcher" then there are a whole lot more than just Anita. Like, most of academia (I see this all the time in my own field, and in some of the related ones).

The_Kodu said:
While it's true there are more civil ways to discuss it. What's being highlighted are the nut jobs etc. I could for example tweet about my reasons for disagreeing etc. However if you have paid attention to the Femenist Frequency twtitter it doesn't address these points. It does however regularly haul out nutters to call them mysogynistic pigs.

People have come the the table calmly and honestly they've been ignored entirely, that's half the problem. If you keep hauling out the nutters and ignoring all calm responses then people aren't going to be too happy for long.
Ah.

First off, I'm more into tumblr than twitter, so I wasn't aware of that being a specific issue.

Secondly, when you have extremes in an argument, it tends to make you yourself more extreme. I've gotten angry during some of these discussions and gone farther into her camp than I'm really comfortable being. That's just the nature of an argument - you tend to respond to the worst attackers, not the most rational ones.

And Thirdly, twitter isn't a location for academic discourse. The word limit alone makes that an issue. I wouldn't really call her research or academic creds into question for tumblr. Her internet persona and her self image management, sure, but not her academic skills.

The_Kodu said:
Except in research that's not meant to have a huge bias then showing such open disdain isn't a good sign.
I would honestly put some of that to Women's Studies as a whole once again.

I am a lit person who enjoys feminist theory (particularly third wave) and feminist analysis (same). My discussions with Women's Studies people (limited as they've been) have generally involved them being very disdainful of my more relaxed approach to things.

So when I say that Anita is typical for Women's Studies... I'm kinda counting the bad attitude. It has always seemed to be part of the discipline. Sort of like how some physics people think they're better than everyone else because physics is the "building blocks of the universe" and so forth.

The_Kodu said:
Would it surprise you to know those comments to me were from developers?
Nope, not surprised at all. Developers are often jerks on the internet. Half (okay, less than half, but a lot) of the news on this very site is about one developer or another saying something stupid on twitter and getting yelled at about it.

The_Kodu said:
Yeh I will say I'm pretty stubborn and hard to move however this is why I see there being a problem with Anita. There have been other's who have written articles which have made me change my views on this subject or aspects of it. However just like those making reasoned arguments against Anita's stuff those making good reasoned arguments pointing out sexism are also being ignored as they're not seen as the spokesperson for it. Anita has the spotlight on this matter and it wouldn't be hard to highlight some of the others out there in this field who are arguably doing a better more reasoned job.
See, one of the things I like about Anita is that she makes me think about things I might not have otherwise. I hadn't really considered the feminist implications of Damsels in Distress and their predominance in video games before. And, while I disagree with her specifics, the idea that Damsels are something that need to be talked about - how they are used, why we associate them with women, how we can work to bring the trope out of the past and into the future - are all good topics to talk about.

She doesn't need to be right to bring up good points that deserve discussion.

The_Kodu said:
Except it got the stage of industry (supposed) professionals going at these guys for a while. this is where the madness is going to.
See my comment above on developers (ie, industry professionals) being just as jerky on the internet as everyone else.

The_Kodu said:
Except ignoring the arguments entirely now until a set time is actually only going to annoy those making the reasoned arguments. Especially if as is being done you keep hauling up the nutters on twitter while ignoring sensible criticism.
We don't need to have these discussions with HER. We need to have them with one another.

If you don't like Anita, then treat her like some annoying person standing on a box and proclaiming the end of the world due to pollution. You don't go up to THAT person to talk... but you might turn turn your friend, who you are walking with, and talk to them about what the annoying person just said. And maybe you have a good talk about pollution and its impact on the environment.

Except on women in games and not pollution (which was the only example I could think of fast).

The_Kodu said:
I wouldn't say she's a liar and has told outright lies. However I will say she hasn't been entirely honest. It's actually upset quite a few people to see her somehow end up as the face of female gamers when she is so new the the gaming industry and when there have been plenty of others making their points far better and being far more open in general about them.
I wouldn't call Anita the face of anything aside from Women's Studies in gaming.

And while you, Kudo, wouldn't call her an outright liar, a LOT of people do. A lot of what I said on that point was addressed to others rather than you.

The_Kodu said:
I've kept mentioning it but one of the good ones out there would be Elsa
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Elsa

Now I don't agree with everything she writes however I've found her stuff to be a lot more logical and reasoned, with less apersuasive tricks employed.
I'll check her out. **opens link in new tab, but has no time to read just now**

I'm also a huge fan of the Nostalga Chik (from That Guy with the Glasses). She's a little overly second-wavy for my personal tastes, but I like her overall, even if I too disagree with many of her interpretations (how can she not like the Little Mermaid?!)

Anyway...

**holds out hand** It has been a strange, slightly frustrating pleasure, Kudo. I've gotta run, and I'm not sure how much else needs to happen here (we've kinda covered things pretty well at this point). If you've got more to say, then I'll see you on Monday (cause I'm outta here for a long weekend!) Caio and good talking to you!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
*quoted in the spoiled text below*
Just putting this quote here so you know the post is to you.

Imp Emissary said:
I would argue that laziness is, is some cases, quite immoral.
Laziness itself isn't unethical or immoral so this would be a slipery slope argument at best. It's just lazy. Me doing a poor job is not me doing an evil job. The two scenarios are simply separate factors. The two CAN coincide as they aren't mutually exclusive either, but most often laziness just leads to poor work and unethical actions are usually more intentional than lazy. Morality is often determined by intention and laziness isn't an inherent evil intention.

If a company isn't doing all they can to give you a fine, and unique experience, then I'd say they are doing themselves and their customers a disfavor.
Not true. A good company has forecasted how much money they are likely to make with the product they're producing and budget accordingly. If I open a basic hotdog stand on a college campus I'm not going to add black truffle oil as a free garnish just because it clearly makes the product better. Elaborating on a character costs money in several departments (writing, development/QA, translation and potentially voice acting). The time spent writing for that non-main character takes time away from more central characters. Do you think it was so vital that we know more about the princess in the original Super Mario Bros? I'd say we knew everything we needed to know which was next to nothing. Heck, I didn't even know there was a princess until I got to Bowser (spoiler for a 29 year old game). That she's a princess leaves an open ended reward. Happily ever after, wealth, satisfaction of saving someone from evil, knighthood, whatever. Surely as a kid you fantasized about being a knight. What more motivation do you really need than duty and honor when a princess has been captured? Haha.

Did you ever play Shadow of the Colossus? One of my favorite games of all time. I did not need to know ANYTHING about the girl the protagonist brought into the game. I'll tell you this much, a sack of potatoes or mountain of gold would have seriously detracted from the game and yet this girl was dead for the entirety of the game. I can't think of a less active D.I.D and I actually cared for her. Could they have given us more information at some point? Sure. But they didn't and it was a nigh perfect game.

However, simply by changing up the formula of how characters are represented in a game, or just "who"
you play can be enough.
But they do that. They change up the formula all the time. It's an almost blatant lie (in general, not saying that you are lying) that they don't. It's just that the overall motivations are severely limited. A game about saving the trees in a park wouldn't mean crap as motivation to me. So even within the limited spheres of motivations are even more limiting ranges of things that actually matter to us. Life (ourselves and/or others), security, happiness, wealth, curiosity, revenge. It's not a big list of things that actually matter. A D.I.D. scenario can hit all of those points at once. A complaint about how characters are repesented in the game is a complaint about archetypes. Characters get more fleshed out as technology advances. That's no joke. As technology improves it has been easier and easier to include more content in games so we've begun to see a wider range of supporting characters getting fleshed out. In a lot of games, the D.I.D scenario is just one of the motivations. Heck, by the end of the game you may actually be fighting said damsel.

That being said, I view customiseable characters as the best way to suit the needs of the smaller gamer demographics without seriously endangering the revenue of the publisher. Look, I'm a big man. Huge shoulders run in the family like we mean business. I do not get any satisfaction from playing a petite guy or girl. In games, I'm usually the plank and sword class or the barbarian or whatever muscley mass of flesh I can be. I like being the grizzled warrior and I do not want to be the agile rogue or the the weak wizard unless they're particularly cool. I want to be able to run in and aggro. It's not because I don't like female characters or anything like that. It's simply because I mentally put myself in the character's shoes. I'm sure some women feel the same way as I do and so that's why this is important. But customizeable main characters has been a major thing for some time now. Aside from the really old arcade hack and slash games where a female character was optional, I'm talking games like Resident Evil 1 where you simply had an option. Then games like the Elder Scrolls series came along and you can be nearly everything and yet these somehow aren't considered a valid game where the protagonist can absolutely be a girl? Actually, the number of main characters who are female is much higher than it should be. There's no reason why Jade, Chell, Faith, the chick from Remember me, or any other main character should have necessarily been female. Each time they developed the game they knew that more than 80% of their target market was male and that doesn't translate into around 20% of games needing to be female led. That translates into EVERY development studio who sits down seeing a target market that is more than80% male and they see the cost of development as too high to risk alienating them. That's not a bad thing, that is market demand in action. You don't see pantyhose companies making their line more comfortable for men at the cost of comfort for women. That would be silly because very few men use/wear them. So is demanding or expecting other companies in other industries doing that too. You think it's being close minded or bad of them but in reality there is an elastic relationship between how stories are told and catering more to one side actually detracts from the other because women actually have different tastes in media. Whether that's because of social or biological differences (likely both) is beside the point when you're looking at spending $100+ million on the ability to tell just one story. It's outright foolish, in fact, to wager that much money and then actively sabotage your market share.

SPOILER - Click below to Expand (bolding because this looks like a quote)
Again, back in 2010 before the ESA definition of gamer expanded to include iOS gaming and people who have ever played solitaire on a device the split was 40/60 (female/male). Of the female demographic, 80% of the console owners owned a Wii as their primary device. This is in a stark contrast with males whereas 41% of the male group owned a Wii. So there's a huge and statistically significant difference between the sexes where this is concerned.

Here's how the math works out:

Let's say the total population was 100 people. This makes math simple with percentages and scales up to whatever number was true. We also need to assume that males and females owned consoles at the same rate because we don't have the numbers for the rate of ownership. The actual number would likely only decrease the number of female console gamers unless you believe that women are more likely to own a console than men.

Ok, so of the total gaming demographic, 40 females own consoles and 60 males own consoles holding to our statements.

Women: 80% of that 40 owns a Wii = 32 women. The remaining 8 are split between a ps3/360 (or devices that are capable of AAA 3rd party support.

Men: 41% of that 60 owns a Wii = 24.6 men. Which interestingly means that more women own a Wii as their primary console than men. That's interesting though it still depends on women owning consoles at the same rate as men which is unlikely. This leaves 35.4 men for the AAA consoles (the numbers after the decimal are important for real numbers so that that's why I'm keeping them. Since the numbers are actually in the millions then .1% is several thousand at least or tens of thousands in the higher millions).

This means that the total PS3/360 market is 43.4 people in this scenario and women make up only 18% of that amount. If there's a significant difference in console ownership then that number could be significantly lower.

What's more is, this is just the general market. This isn't divided by game genre. For example, do women enjoy FPS titles at the same rate that males do? We've found stark differences in taste in literature and film between the sexes so why not games?

The point is, the ESA study is misleading. This really is a pantyhose scenario where one sex is overwhelmingly the customer. It does really suck for female gamers like my wife who enjoy FPS games but do they particularly deserve to be catered to more than the vast majority of the customer base? I'd encourage trying to figure out exactly what type of games the majority of women like and see if there's an untapped market there and to continue to make character like Commander Shephard that is fully customiseable. For some people, Mass Effect is totally a game with a female protagonist.

A bigger complaint about most Mario games is that the characters are more archetypes than characters in their own right.
Do you find that complaint to be a valid one? Is there something wrong with archetypes? I kid you not, I used to date a girl who would get up on a chair and scream if she saw a mouse, demanding that I save her from that beast. Is her character type somehow less deserving of portrayal than the woman who would try to take care of it herself? What of girls who are attractive, are they less deserving of being portrayed than plain women? Every other form of Media seems to portray the more attractive types so it's odd that we'd make games a battle ground for the less attractive when it's even against human nature as attractiveness is an evolutionary trait that we naturally respond to (as unnattractiveness can often mean illness or disease). Saying that it is wrong is saying that human nature is wrong. That's no more correct than saying restaurants should make shitty food instead of good food so they show less preference to good food.

That said, I do agree that if they write a character who is central to the story then they should make her a legitimate character. A women whose only quality is being pretty and doesn't serve the plot in any way other than eye candy is a poorly made character. It is a fully missed opportunity. I am still hesitant to call that sexist though. I do see women jogging around town in nothing more than the equivalent of a bra (sports bra) and spandex boxer briefs (bike shorts? not sure what they're called). I wouldn't call them sexist for portraying their bodies that way, would you? I would call development of such a woman in games exploitative of human nature though.

As for demographics; It may just be the way you wrote it, but it sounds like you don't think that men and women have any overlap in interests. If we are talking about motivations, what about exploration, adventure, challenge, or an experience of catharsis(for example; playing a scary/sad game to get scared/"The Feels".
What I said is that men and women in agreggate express different preferences in genres in nearly every form of media we have. Interests do overlap but we're talking about the norm. Chick flicks are called chick flicks for a reason but some guys do like them (I like a good one, especially if it's a romantic comedy, but the sad/depressing kind that women are known to adore? Screw that). Some guys also like romance novels. But that doesn't make them the norm. Do you have some kind of evidence to advocate the idea that women do not exhibit distinct preferences in the game media in the same way they do in nearly everything else? Let's take the biggest sellers of last year. GTA V and COD Ghosts. Do you think women like those games in the same proportions that men do? I have mentioned exceptions several times through our discussion. Primarily that my wife was one of the 9% of females in 2010 who owned a ps3 as their primary console and enjoys playing COD with me to this day. But then she fits the mold in other games like multi-tasking sims or RTS games as her prefered game types. But then I'll throw a game like Bastion at her and she'll love it. So who knows how that will end up.

I'd say that these are strong motivations to play a game, and are hardly gender divided.
Preferences in genre has nothing to do with motivations. You've misunderstood. What I mean is that males male disproportionately prefer ultra-violent action-driven games whereas women may prefer more story-driven games or RTS games. I personally like all of the games but I wouldn't particularly like a romance game if one was made whereas it may gain a huge female following.

But motivations? Those are almost universal but we do actually see differences there too. For example, did you know that females and males express greed differently? A case study I saw on this was regarding petty theft. A criminal profiler was once robbed. Two checks were stolen from the middle of his checkbook and the amounts withdrawn were $400 in two different months. He profiled the thieves as female, and he was write. Here's the reason, females are more likely to take what they need in times of scarcity whereas males are more likely to take everything they think they can get. Women may see rescuing a male as less important than rescuing a child whereas males may see rescuing a female as more important than rescuing a child.

There are overlaps in nearly everything but there are also nuances in everything.

Saving someone you care about is indeed a very powerful thing. However, the issue with it is that it's taken as a given far too often for my tastes that the player will want to save the person.
This is where the laziness comes in as a problem for games. Yahtzee and others have expressed this complaint before.
Ok, and that's your subjective opinion as well as your prerogative to be tired of. However, I still readily enjoy saving someone I care about in games. What do I care about a character getting wealthy in a game? That means little or nothing to me. I much prefer games that the payoffs revolve around characters. Saving a person or having revenge on a person is about as good as it gets for me in a game. Sorry if you think that is overused, but say that to the past 2,000+ years of human story telling.

Yahtzee put it best in his review of the second game. Cole's friend Zeke made a better love interest(in both game's I'd say) because we may not have known him as long as Cole but they give us time with him to learn his personality, and become attached to him. Which is why you don't hear people complain about the mission where you have to save him once from the evil gang's base. I didn't do it because "I'm suppose to, or because it was the right thing to do." I wanted to save Zeke because it felt like he was a friend I care about.
Meanwhile, while having to chose between saving Trish, or the other doctors. I couldn't help but ask, "Why would I save her over 6 other men and women?"
Again, this is poor writing. It isn't magically unethical because they failed to properly motivate you. Had they properly set the stage for Trish to actually be desirable then you wouldn't have asked that question and the decision would have been more meaningful to you. However, som

This is what's bad about OVERUSE of D.I.D. People get lazy and expect you to bond with the damsel without actually telling the story in a way that can give you a chance to actually care for them. Even if your not a man you can want to save a women if she's a likable person that you've sent a fair amount of time with them and know them as more then "that girl I got to go save, because reasons".
Not a problem with D.I.D. overuse or otherwise. That's purely a problem with lazy writing and not an ethical one at that.

The problem isn't D.I.D., but rather D.I.D. being misused as a stand in for actually caring about a person, or to add artificial motivation.
Have you considered that vagueness of the character allows the gamer to project their own personality on the individual in a way that would be more meaningful to them that it would have been had they fleshed out the character. There have been a number of female character that I felt actively frustrated with that I had to then go save for some stupid reason. Or how about Ashley from RE 4 that you had to protect all the time. Fleshing out a character is sometimes a worse mechanic than leaving it somehow vague. All you need to know is this is someone you care about and then your brain fills in the blank. It is rare that I actually like the character once they've been fleshed out. If well written it often ends up being a wonderful gaming experience but there's something kind of like the uncanney valley here where ambiguity and great writing are on opposite sides of a valley where everything in between is bad.

As for reflections of reality [sub](women being abused/raped/ect)[/sub] in games being a big reason. While that does have some weight, I don't find it to be an adequate, or completely actuate excuse/explanation for the abundance of women D.I.Ds.
It is adequate enough to explain its prevalence in literature.

The sad thing is, while it happens for sure more to women than men, I'd hardly say that men don't have to deal with things like rape in the real world.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all. But it is marked as a weakness on the man's part socially and so is taboo to speak of. However, it is far more common for women.

Hope you stay warn, and don't get buried in snow!
I live in Florida, so I think if that happens then there's a lot more to be worried about than me. But thanks and the same to you.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lightknight said:
Imp Emissary said:
*quoted in the spoiled text below*
Just putting this quote here so you know the post is to you.

Imp Emissary said:
I would argue that laziness is, is some cases, quite immoral.
[https://imageshack.com/i/f6v3clj]
Wizards Rule. ;p

Hope you stay warn, and don't get buried in snow!
I live in Florida, so I think if that happens then there's a lot more to be worried about than me. But thanks and the same to you.
Full post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.842576.20746808

Thank goodness. It would be a shame to lose you, and the alligators. :D
Anyway.
I see what you're talking about. I doubt any dev ever said, "Hey, lets be lazy so the game isn't as good as it could be."
That said, I don't believe that such action that could lead to one "doing a bad job" to be positive. Immoral or not, it's still a bad thing, that can lower quality.

Not that everyone has to be working themselves to death to get every bit of possible detail into a game. As you said, there are limits to what can be done. Time, money, technology, or perhaps the narrative of itself.
Almost all games have to leave things out so they can be finished on time/on budget.

However, if the end result is that game doesn't do what it's suppose to do because of laziness, then the fault is on the dev. This isn't an argument of "the slipery slope". Not attempting to write, or design your game to give the experience you set out to give isn't an extrapolation of what could possibly happen later. Not doing your job right directly leads to the job not being done well, with few exceptions.

If I'm suppose to care for a character, but the company doesn't try to give me a chance to care for them, that is their failure. There is a difference between leaving something purposely vague, and just not putting enough effort into it.

:D I'm glad you brought up "Shadow of the Colossus". Great game, and a great example of how to do this kind of thing vaguely.

I don't think I could say I cared much for the dead girl. How could I? I don't know really why she's dead, what her relation is to my character, or even what her name is. However, I can infer that my character does care for her, or at least wants her to stop being dead.
People always refer to these two in the game as a couple, but I never got much of a hint that that was for sure the story. But like you said, I know enough to make up my own story, and still want to know more about what's going on.
Even if I didn't care about the dead girl at all, there is still much in the game to motivate me to go further into it.
Exploring this world filled with interesting and challenging giant monsters, and wanting even to find out more about what's "really" going on. [sub][sub]:/ Though, even at the end I think we get more questions than answers, but in a good way. :)[/sub][/sub]

In the end I'm not even sure you should call Shadow of the Colossus a D.I.D.
I mean, she not really in much danger. Dead is dead. Not much more could be done after that. And as I said, I don't think you could say, based on the information given to you in the game, that your character is even doing this out of love for the girl. It could just be a mission, related to something more important than just bringing back one life.
Though, it is defiantly a story that has been told in other forms. <-[sub](Complete a great task, and bring the dead back to life.)[/sub]

SotC's clearly uses it's vagueness in it's storytelling. No, they shouldn't have given us more info, that would have kind of gone against it's point. It even ends in a way that has many asking if our character is the "good guy" or not. [sub](I think he was, but that's a different conversation.)[/sub]

In movies, they tell you to "show something, not tell someone something". Sometimes you can't show them everything, so you have to write in some way to tell the audience the info they need without making it obvious, and making sure they are satisfied with the information.
If the game has to tell me that I/my character cares for someone, and worse yet doesn't convince me to believe it, then that is a terrible mistake.
I shouldn't have to be told how I care about characters, I should be given a chance to become attached to them.
Side note: Being overused isn't so much an issue to me, because I've "heard the story told once before". Otherwise we'd to make new words all the time while we talk.
The issue is when people get lazy, don't actually tell a story, and just alert us that we got to go save someone we barley know.
In other words, it's them not telling the story well that's the problem.

It's about bad storytelling due to bad decisions.

Use of archetypes can be a weakness in some games, but as I pointed out in the last post, for the "main" Mario games, it's used as a strength.
Like with SotC and vagueness, the archetypes are used to quickly give us the info we need so we can get to the more important things in Mario games. Platforming, exploration, and fun gameplay.

If Mario games were more story oriented, then archetypes would probably not be the best choice. The Paper Mario RPGs are able to focus more on the characters because the gameplay is very different from the Platformer Mario games. As you pointed out, the genre of the game does effect what people look for in them, and what devs have to focus on.
Thus, it changes what they should look for in an audience, and how they should try to attract them.

That said, some games are able to successfully blend genres and appeal to multiple audiences. Games like Mass Effect, Fallout, Dragon Age, and The Elder Scrolls. Not only do they let you customize your characters, but they also add in different types of gameplay and game mechanics.
Though, there are a fair number of games that fail at this too, and not all can appeal to everyone.

There's a game for everyone, but there may not be a single game that can be for everyone.
Side Note: While archetypes can be useful in certain games, I don't agree that they are used so often because they are "more attractive". They are used because they are simpler, and familiar since they've been done before so often.

Your analogy about the good food and shit food is off base. There have been successful games that don't adhere to tried character types, so they aren't bad, they're just different.

A better analogy to use would be that the restaurant chose to add different menu choices. Just because they want to also serve soup, doesn't mean they have to stop making pizza.

This leads me to my next point of contention. Why do you believe it to be so hard to appeal to both men and women.
I'll concede that it is oblivious that some game genres would be more appealing to men in general, and thus have more guy fans/customers. However, even if they may have fewer women fans, that doesn't mean they should act as though there are none, and not cater at all to them.

I don't think any reasonable person is asking devs to rework their entire games to appeal to people with completely different tastes. Nor that all games have/need to change.
The biggest change I've heard people ask for (people, not just women) have been options to play as women, or other races in games.

Of course, some games shouldn't comply with such requests all the time. It be odd to be able to play as a female asian american in WW2 in a "realistic" historical setting game. Unless it was a realistic alternate history game, but you get my point. There are many games where just having the option extra options wouldn't hurt the over all story, much less the gameplay.
True, these are not things that can just be done by ANY dev team. If the games are heavy on story, but not set up in the way BioWare, Bethesda, or Saints Row games are where the sex, and gender of the character aren't that related to the plot.
Then more than just different dialogue and character models have to be added.

Games like The Last of Us for example, would likely be a bit different in terms of writing if the genders of the characters were different. While I wouldn't say their genders are the most important part of them, it would be a bit off to have them gender swapped, but change nothing else. Such changes would cost money and work hours in relation to the level of change needed.
Same could be said of many games.

However, to bring up another point used before, other games can just have the pronouns changed, and BOOM! Link in Zelda Wind Waker is a girl.

And as you said, such things are already being done. Even better new IPs are being made with different types of characters as well.
0_0 This may to shock you.

I don't much like to write/type.

We're getting a bit broad with what we're talking about in this, and the size of our posts show it.

I have been having a nice time talking with ya, but it's getting a little taxing.
I will continue our conversation if you want to. Though, I'd prefer to talk about this instead.
I understand the appeal of wanting to be knight.
Honor, duty, shining armor, and cool swords.

But I was a bit more into the magic users, and the monsters. Just seemed like more fun to me. I mean, a knight/knights can take down a monster if they're good enough, but they're still not "stronger" than the creatures most of the time, and while the armors could look real cool, it's hard to out cool this.
[http://s123.photobucket.com/user/robertklish2/media/MTG_Apocalypse-Hydra_zps806cf5a6.jpg.html]
[http://s123.photobucket.com/user/robertklish2/media/390-amp27-beholder_zps5398311c.jpg.html]
Plus, the wizards and warlocks all seemed to be having a grand old time without having to break a sweat.
[https://imageshack.com/i/12sw62004palpatine1g]
That said, I don't think games let warriors be as cool as they could be. They just seem to get the short end of the stick in a lot of RPGs.
Rouges get to do a lot of what they do, plus all that rouge stuff, and mages get magic as well as sometimes the same weapons and armor.

A more complex physical combat could be a nice perk for warriors, but sometimes that's not an option. Even then though they could get more special options with what to do.

For example; You're a warrior, and you come across a locked door. Why do you have to get a rouge to pick the lock, or a mage to magic it open all the time? Why can't ya get to kick the door down, or smash it with a big weapon?! Warriors are often described as man/woman shaped battering rams, so why not use that?
Or getting to intimidate/appeal to someone's honor as a special speech option?

Don't get me wrong, sometimes games let ya do that as a warrior, but too often I think they get short changed.

Well, let me know if you come across any dragon eggs. I'll trade ya a sword and armor enchanted with all the elements under and in the sun!
[http://s123.photobucket.com/user/robertklish2/media/img_4969_zpsadb93c0f.jpg.html]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
What is a reviewers job in the first place?

Is it to give his personal opinion about a product? Well if thats the case why is "reviewer" even a thing? I could just ask my neighbour.

Or is it to inform the unknowing consumer? In wich case he is obliged to stay neutral asmuch as possible and keep his personal feelings away as much as possible.

I think its the latter because the former would not warant the existance of reviewers in the first place. When people read reviews they do so with the understandment that the person writing the review is somehow more knowlegable on the field he reviews then the reader themselves.

OFCOURSE people will get pissed when they read a 10/10 review of a product and the product isnt actually up to snuff. With each score a reviewer comes up with they actually also post a buying recommendation, they tell you that this product is awesome and perfect.. when it turns out that the product is anything but you can expect some fallout and people calling them out on it.

These people dont get paid to write up their personal biased opinion, they get paid to tell people if its worth getting a product or not.

Otherwise it would be okay for a reviewer to claim Ride to hell is a 10/10 game and no one would be allowed to call him out on that BS.

Reviewers are responsible to stay as objective as possible, they can enjoy an objectively bad game, and they can say so.. maybe because its a guilty pleasure... maybe cause they are a fan (like me with gundam target insight for ps3.. a bad game by all accounts but i still enjoy it) but they should not recommend a game based on their fanboism, its their job to say "well i enjoyed it but honestly there are some problems with the game"

So no.. calling out a reviewer on obvious biased review scores isnt entitlement.

Neither are deaththreats... those are retarded and should land you in jail.

Also about the Anita stuff going on here:

Anita has disqualified herselfe with her own words time after time again.

About the kickstarter money: Yes people out of their free will gave her so much money... and out of her own free will she kept all that money, gave nothing back and did not deliver. It has been several years now and she got what? 4 videos? All of whom are of the same quality of her former non kickstarter videos and dont even feature footage she recorded herselfe?

Even with only 6000 dollars nothing has changed, she had no business asking for money in the first place and only used this whole kickstarter fiasco to boost her own career.

Shes a made woman now, she created a job in the industry specifically only for herselfe. Honestly her talents should be utilized not on the field of female rights but in marketing. No one knew who she was before 4chan lashed out at her, and BOOM... with just the troll comments on her kickstarter youtube (and i never get tired of pointing out that it was the only youtube video she allowed comments on at the time) she hit it big time, was invited to speak on TV and infront of crowds at conventions. Doesnt matter how much of an impact she has in the end... she pulled off using 4chan to boost her career... and asmuch as i dislike her for using social justice and her rabid fandom to silence out her critics the women got my respect for succesfully playing 4chan. I mean there have been videos of herselfe stating out that she isnt a gamer and that she doesnt like games.. all blurted out because she is a feminist who got attacked by the internet!

Without 4chan and the rest of the internet trolls she would have never become as big as she is now and most likely would still dwell in her little tiny unimportant corner of youtube preaching to her little fan following.

She used 4chan as her private marketing ploy... brilliant... despicable but brilliant