Jimquisition: How Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Great video, absolutely right.

What I find hilarious is that in a Skyrim thread yesterday, somebody commented that they wanted multiplayer. Whoever you are, you are not helping, be happy with single player because that is what it is all about.

My brother is getting me Skyrim for Christmas, so I will be able to experience the awesome then.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
DAMN SON

Skyrim is an example of what the game industry can do to solve its problems.

Bethesda didn't make an event, they made a revenue stream. People will be picking up Skyrim for years. It will continue to be relevant to gaming for a looooooong time.

As much as I knock Bethesda for some of their business... this is one aspect I must shake their hand on. They know how to make rpgs that matter.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
That helmet really suited Jim. Should have grown a beard in preparation from this video, and to show how much you'd played the game. You would have definitely looked like Dovahkiin!

But yes, FUCKING LOVE SKYRIM! 50 hours so far, couldn't agree with Jim more. Dead Space 2 was epic, but its multiplayer was definitely not needed. EA even said themselves that they were only putting it in just in case people wanted it...DON'T DO THAT! NEVER DO THAT! IF IT'S NOT NEEDED, IT'S NOT NEEDED! DON'T THROW IT IN BECAUSE YOU WANT A BIGGER CONSUMER BASE, THE FIRST GAME WAS AWESOME ENOUGH TO SELL A SEQUEL!

Wish I had Fus Ro Dah now...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, but on the downside, if the rest of the industry follows Bethesda's example, they'll release games that can't be completed if you look at it wrong with AI based on the survival instincts of a grape, a giant stupid grape that stands in doorways. Furthermore, developers will sue each other over the use of letters in any order, the use of concepts such a making a game in the visible spectrum, and having a sense of humour.

But otherwise, developers should definitely make good games like Skyrim (in which I'm talking about the whole package, despite the fruit AI and terminal illness) rather than persisting in this inane piracy and margins (profit) fear mania.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
I. Want. That. Hat. Now.

I demand to know where to aquire this fine piece of accessory.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
I really agree with your points, but I'm still having such a hard time getting past your cocky attitude and nasally voice... I will get used to it, because you are right, and funny in your own regard, but man...

Too much for a n00b. Just too much.

Also, I only have a very small urge to have sex with you. Just to see what it's like

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Donnie Restad said:
I really agree with your points, but I'm still having such a hard time getting past your cocky attitude and nasally voice...
Let's be fair. It's more straight whiny than nasal.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Definantely agree, single player before multiplayer. Except with Battlefield, which never needed single player.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
so right, but your shout is so wrong... a dragon born don't shout his/her(my character, female, dark elf) name. Anyhow, nicely put, love skyrim for soooooo many reasons...

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Sadly, the only thing the Industry will take from the whole Skyrim thing is the following: "Wow, that game did really well, we need to make our own open world rpg game but we can add multiplayer, online passes and frivolous dlc!"

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
its surprising how he actually gets better at this, his first vids were crap and all of his points obvious, but every week i actually think "this is his best vid yet".
(well, except for that "i cant do a video because im playing deus ex" fiasco).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I didn't see a single mention of Dynasty Warriors. :( Booo, Jim!

INeedAName said:
But Jim! Making games like Skyrim takes time, effort and dedication (something most videogame developers today don't bother with...)!
And why would we risk money on effort when we can slap on multiplayer and charge for DLC?

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Donnie Restad said:
I really agree with your points, but I'm still having such a hard time getting past your cocky attitude and nasally voice...
Let's be fair. It's more straight whiny than nasal.
I was trying not to be rude... I know, I know, no rules on teh interwebz

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Best outburst of Fat Nerd Rage EVER!!! Also, good episode, Jim must get bored of being right all the time...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I sure hope MG Rising get's enough hype.

Also Multi player can work for some games as some people have different views on their gaming preferences.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Holy shit, the ending fuckin' scared me a little bit. People keep doing that in real life around here. That's how popular Skyrim is where I live. I heard Fus-Ro-Dah 3 times last week at the weirdest moments. One would think I'd learn to predict it.