Jimquisition: How Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Doesn't matter if they do DLC right people will still complain about the horse armor.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
My god, he's right. Jim Sterling really is right about everything.
Well, about Skyrim and how it proves a lot of publishers deeply held business beliefs wrong at any rate.
But really, that's the best thing to be right about. Take note publishers, I want to see more games that do what Skyrim does, and you want to see sales like Skyrim has.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Bravo! I especially like The Regular Show "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!" in there too. The last part was brilliant and we ALL need a little more mead in our lives.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, you're wrong about the wanting to sex you part, Jim. Everything else is pretty much spot on. Especially Naughty Dog's lame excuses for online passes (they just released a patch today, and one of the things the patch does is keep medal streaks going if host migration occurs because the current host leaves the game... WHY THE FUCK IS THERE AN ONLINE PASS IF IT'S NOT USING DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THE MATCHES?!) and Saints Row The Third being painfully short but with plenty of DLC coming soon.

Qitz said:
Now if we can take what Bethesda teaches about design and combine it with what Valve shows about prices, the industry could explode from epicness.
And what Valve shows about not having your games bugged to shit. That's a good lesson too, especially for Bethesda. It's not like they released 4 PS3 games in a row with the same "your game starts running like shit if your save file gets too big" bug and never fixed it until the 4th game it was in, and even then it's not fixed and people are saying that Skyrim still lags but just not as often, right? Oh wait...

Of course, I learned after Fallout 3 on PC not to buy their games for that platform (PC is the way to go so you can use mods and the console to get yourself out of bugs that Bethesda will never bother to fix), but some people are fanboys with only one platform and will keep buying these things on PS3. And Bethesda keeps shafting them, which makes it really hard for me to take them seriously as a developer. I don't look at them and see "hey these are the guys who made Skyrim, they're awesome", I see "these are the clowns who keep releasing nearly broken games for PS3, what's wrong with them?!".

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
pathetic... comparing skyrim to any other game
it's an open world game for at least 50+ hours... of course it doesn't need an online mode
and of course because it does not need an online pass because there is no such thing as server fees
where do you come from to assume that any of that can say anything about any other game?

what are we comparing next?
minesweeper to assassin's creed?

kemosabi4

May 12, 2009
1. I saw the Fus Do Rah bit from a mile away, but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. I have to admit, I watched one episode of Jimquisition and wasn't very impressed, but after watching this, I have nothing but love for it. He is completely reasonable and accurate on all counts, including online passes. I can only say this about his Skyrim video: Jim is a brilliant, sexy bastard, the likes of which have not been seen since the beginning of ZP.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Thank God for you, Jim...someone who will tell it like it is.

It's easy to blame the industry big-wigs for not exercising wisdom about this stuff, but truly, it's the consumers buying into those ideas that is creating these problems.

I teach middle-schoolers. When they asked me if I was buying MW3, I said no. They asked why and I explained that the first thing I look for in a game is a good single-player experience. Their response?

"Oh come on, nobody plays single-player anymore!"

Yeah... Granted these are a small handful of pre-teens, but there's an example of someone thinking that "buy a new CoD each year, pay for XBOX Live Gold, play thousands of hours of multi-player, buy new map packs as they come out, rinse and repeat" is the quintessential gaming experience. And there more people who think that way than I'd like to admit.

Way to go, Bethesda for proving that that model of gaming isn't the ONLY model worth pursuing, despite the existence of millions of CoD-kiddies.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
mjc0961 said:
Well, you're wrong about the wanting to sex you part, Jim. Everything else is pretty much spot on. Especially Naughty Dog's lame excuses for online passes (they just released a patch today, and one of the things the patch does is keep medal streaks going if host migration occurs because the current host leaves the game... WHY THE FUCK IS THERE AN ONLINE PASS IF IT'S NOT USING DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THE MATCHES?!) and Saints Row The Third being painfully short but with plenty of DLC coming soon.

Qitz said:
Now if we can take what Bethesda teaches about design and combine it with what Valve shows about prices, the industry could explode from epicness.
And what Valve shows about not having your games bugged to shit. That's a good lesson too, especially for Bethesda. It's not like they released 4 PS3 games in a row with the same "your game starts running like shit if your save file gets too big" bug and never fixed it until the 4th game it was in, and even then it's not fixed and people are saying that Skyrim still lags but just not as often, right? Oh wait...

Of course, I learned after Fallout 3 on PC not to buy their games for that platform (PC is the way to go so you can use mods and the console to get yourself out of bugs that Bethesda will never bother to fix), but some people are fanboys with only one platform and will keep buying these things on PS3. And Bethesda keeps shafting them, which makes it really hard for me to take them seriously as a developer. I don't look at them and see "hey these are the guys who made Skyrim, they're awesome", I see "these are the clowns who keep releasing nearly broken games for PS3, what's wrong with them?!".
Meh beth makes huge worlds sure they are buggy and unbalanced but the sheer amount of content tends to make up for it, even more so with expansions.

All in all on the PC the games are good to great becuse you can mod it to taste, if you are on the console you are doubly screwed due t a lack of mods and never ending beta testing.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
All the things he listed are also why I'm loving Skyward Sword. Nice, long single-player quest with no DLC just doin' it's own thing. Skyrim has also been awesome, and despite both having some issues, they've never been enough to make me think of either as any less than awesome.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
MB202 said:
I've heard of Skyrim, if only because everyone won't shut up about it.
There is a reasons why people won't shut up about it. It is a brilliant game. Not to say it is just an amazing game none the less

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
On the multiplayer note: I mostly agree. As an amendment, however, I'd suggest that a lot of multiplayer games should stop trying to shove in a single-player component. TF2, MAG, and probably a few other games I can't remember have shown that you can create a game that exists solely in multiplayer space and is still successful.
Since CoD4, none of the games in the series have presented a single player experience to me that felt worth the price of admission, despite the fact I was borrowing half the games rather than paying for them.
Future CoD (and apparently Battlefield) titles would benefit from not including campaign modes at all - most of the negative press for both titles focuses on short nonsensical stories.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
...it's obvious that popular game will sell, while sh*t won't if both games are set in sen conditions...

For everyone but publishers.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Jim is surprised that a developer which has already had great success with games without multiplayer or online passes i.e Fallout 3 and Fallout New vegas releases a ridiculously similar game, makes it easy enough for anyone to play, backs it with loads of cash and advertising, benefits from mob mentality selling and does well. I am sorry but the Call of Duty of RPGs hasn't done anything that shouldn't be expected.

Proves the industry wrong? I don't think so.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Im rather disapointed. I saw the title of this and thought YES! Finally some good points to be made.

Yet after watching it, All he really said boiled down to common knowledge that morons tend to fall into and get duped into believing and astoundingly enough, defending.

I guess it makes sense, you have to educate beyond idiocy before you can expect enlightenment.

I mean Jim, you do realize that Bethesda actually did more damage, than good, right? You realize that Bethesda has evolved into the RPG equivalent of CoD, right? Its sort of like Taco Bell, You can order a burrito, a taco, a chalupa, a Qeacolipca, or any other mexican sounding food item from their menu and you realize its still just beef, shell and cheese. The only difference is the manner of which it is assembled. So by supporting Skyrim, your really just reinforcing that which is wrong with the industry, because they are just taking the working formula from CoD and reassembling their own version that fits with their design.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Right then... can we set a date? This coming Thursday I'll do you. With the plush hat on of course. Nothing else though.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Vamast said:
you can't fly dragons. why?
Skyrim's one of the largest in-game maps to date, has great graphics, skilled voice acting, respawning, realistic-moving dragons, dozens of spells, multiple crafting styles, multiple weapon styles, hundreds of sets of armor, near-endless character facial customization, and endless hours of gameplay.
That's why.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
All hail the Dovahjim!

Thank you for saying aloud what I'm sure several of us were thinking. Skyrim is the prime example of what games *should* be, which is to say, something engrossing that can spark conversations and trigger gatherings around the player, because he or she did something totally awesome.

Multiplayer should always remain a secondary focus or be entirely absent in these types of games. If you're in need of some multiplayer action, there's always five or six reigning champions in that area. Even moreso, Skyrim proves all the idiots who refuse to touch a game unless it's multiplayer-centric or an MMO wrong. You *can* have a single-player package with enough content to make you wonder if you aren't playing your own personal MMO, at times.

Because that's honestly what Skyrim is. An MMO with none of the hassle associated with MMOs.

Jan 27, 2011
This was a good video, but it won't do anything to the industry.

Because rehashing the same damn bang-bagn-boom-shoot game year after year is a lot cheaper than making a totally great game that can stand on its own. Furthermore, you can always expect a good bunch of idiots to pick up the latest military shooter, regardless of quality, whereas making a unique (or just different) game is a risk.

And shareholders don't LIKE risk, they want more money. And what the shareholders want, the company must do.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Well I was all like: "Yeah Jim, these are things I've been saying too. Thank god one of us has a show to spread the word!"
Then you made me choke on my Dr.Pepper and trashed a perfectly good podium with your willy-nilly use of the Thu'um.
I hope you're pleased with yourself.

Also.

My large PVC mini-Alduin says hello to your large PVC mini-Alduin and wonders if he would like to get together sometime to end the mortal plane?