Jimquisition: I Hate Videogames (Because I Love Them)

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
balberoy said:
This is the wrong prespective.
If the developer doesn't produce the games we want (what the apparently don't do anymore)
and it's the publishers mistake, those developers will search a new publisher.

But you still buy games and so nothing will change.

For me noone who still buys from EA, Activision and Ubisoft is a Gamer.
Sry, those "customers" pay for destroying our loved hobby.
But they do produce the games I want, I just hate the publishers for different reasons.
I love Bioware games, but I hate what EA does with DLC.
I love Assassin's Creed, but I hate Ubisoft's DRM.
Bioware is owned by EA and Ubisoft makes AC, which means they can't find a new publisher. I love their games and want to support the devs so I buy their games.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Chik Fil A is awesome. Tastes yummy. Eat their in Florida on holiday. So if a person doesnt agree with gay marriage, who cares. Even i dont care. Its a matter between the people getting married. I think all people should be able to marry who the want whether male or female. I dont care because its so common sense than its boring and i dont know why its a problem. But, a person is still allowed to disagree with gay marriage, as long as they arent interfering. Like i hate cheese, religion and sex changes but i would never, ever stop another person from eating cheese, being religious or having a sex change. Only time i would complain would be if someone offered me cheese, preached to me or if a woman i dated said "i was born a man" would i voice my opinion.

Its ok to personally hate stuff. But when you put those personal beliefs on others, thats where i have an issue.

As for games. Stop remaking the same game every year just cos its popular. Looking at you COD and every sports game released. Do something different. People may hate it but atleast they tried. Look at Cod and then DA2 - CoD stayed the same DA2 was hated but love it as they tried something different. If your just going to release the same game again then sell it cheap instead of full price.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I also hate video games, they need to fucking die but I say this because I love them.

I disagree with this generation being the best, the shit far far far outweighs the good. The best period for video games was the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox generation (I still find myself playing those games). I am looking forward to nothing coming out and the last game I purchased was Max Payne 3 which I found to be average.

While I am at it *takes deep breath* : Skyrim was shit, Mass Effect 3 is shit (regardless of the endings), Motion Controls are shit, Resident Evil 6 looks and plays like shit, Splinter Cell and XCOM have been bastardized, Call of Duty is still getting yearly releases, Pandemic Studios and 96 other game studios have closed since 2006, DRM is rampant, "Social Gaming" is a fucking terrible idea and to top it all off everyone will say otherwise and the majority will continue to buy this crap.

Yep we are definitely living in the best period of video games alright.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Jim: I take it that you like the product (Chick-Fil-A sandwiches) but hate the business (Chick-Fil-A corporation). Just like you like games, but hate the business that sells them. And that's your God-given right.
I don't think I've ever eaten there, and given that they've actively donated money toward gross institutions like Focus on the Family, I don't think I will. It goes beyond hating the business and not wanting to put money into the hands of those who fund causes that disgust me.

I can see where you wanted this to go though and don't fault the attempt!
I thought this whole deal was already known, why am I seeing all of this stuff now? I could have sworn MovieBob posted about it on his blog at least a few months ago. Still eating there for reason's of my own (NO, I DON'T AGREE WITH THE ANTI-GAY VIEWS) but I understand why others will not and respect that.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the attitude you have in this one, all too often people seem to confuse constructive criticism with hatred (and sometimes the other way around) often responding terribly and stifling what could improve a product. Anyway have a good day!

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
The issue is not about what the CEO said. That's just what the spark for the protests was. They haven't changed their business practices in years, and haven't hidden them, but the comments got more people looking into it. They've found that Chick-Fil-A sends plenty of money to various organizations that support traditional marriage and protest gay marriage.

I think this is the right of the CEO and board to do whatever they want with their profits, just like it is the right of anyone who doesn't support those causes to boycott the company. Gay marriage advocates are boycotting Chick-Fil-A. One Million Moms is boycotting JC Penny due to them hiring Ellen DeGeneres as their spokeswoman. If there was a company that was giving their profits to the KKK, I think most people would boycott that company.
But as to the company itself, as long as they're above-board and not discriminating against their employees or customers, it's their legal right to give their profits to whoever they want, in my opinion.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Totally hate all the things about gaming you listed and more!

- Not owning your games after 2 years, if you happen not to play them/log in to the system that sold them to you. (by that logic I would have lost all my Amiga and Megadrive games etc.)
The fact that you can have your games taken away from you "under the right circumstances".

- That if you delete your account with Uplay from Ubi for example, you also loose ALL your games. No way of just deleting the account and keeping the rights to the games you paid for.
Don't like their system? Well that will cost you the keys to ALL your Ubi games.

- The price of downloadable games. With them, you can barely even say that you own them, you have no physical material costs, yet you still pay full price.

- The ridiculous EULA that you have to agree to in order to play the game.
They all basically say "we the publisher can do whatever the fuck we want with the game that isn't really yours anyway and you waive the right to anything. At all."
They can be that ridiculous because you as a customer will not know prior to buying the game what the terms will be.

- The fact that virtually no game is complete on initial sale and that often you have to pay double to actually play the complete version.
If anyone for example tries to tell me that BF3 costs 40? all I could do is chuckle at them.

- The fact that the multiplayer side of games can sometimes last no longer than a year if the dev/publishers decides it should be so.
Even if the game is mainly a multiplayer type of game... well shit out of luck my friend. Enjoy the tutorial levels.

- The fact that devs/publishers sometimes even try and "black mail" their customers.

Seriously. The business side of gaming at the moment is at it's worst. It's really depressing to me.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Dragon Zero said:
I thought this whole deal was already known, why am I seeing all of this stuff now? I could have sworn MovieBob posted about it on his blog at least a few months ago. Still eating there for reason's of my own (NO, I DON'T AGREE WITH THE ANTI-GAY VIEWS) but I understand why others will not and respect that.
It's never been a secret what they do with their money, but Dan Cathy's comments to an interviewer got it more press, and more of the public that didn't know about it now knows.

I suspect you're in the camp agreeing with Antoine Dodson, knowing that a boycott will hurt the local business owners and employees more than the corporation.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Toilet said:
I also hate video games, they need to fucking die but I say this because I love them.

I disagree with this generation being the best, the shit far far far outweighs the good. The best period for video games was the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox generation (I still find myself playing those games). I am looking forward to nothing coming out and the last game I purchased was Max Payne 3 which I found to be average.

While I am at it *takes deep breath* : Skyrim was shit, Mass Effect 3 is shit (regardless of the endings), Motion Controls are shit, Resident Evil 6 looks and plays like shit, Splinter Cell and XCOM have been bastardized, Call of Duty is still getting yearly releases, Pandemic Studios and 96 other game studios have closed since 2006, DRM is rampant, "Social Gaming" is a fucking terrible idea and to top it all off everyone will say otherwise and the majority will continue to buy this crap.

Yep we are definitely living in the best period of video games alright.
I'd probably agree that its a bad generation if you are just a console gamer, however in the PC side things are actually better than they have ever been. Sure there are still some issues with DRM but honestly just cut out ubisoft and DRM problems for me are mostly over.

Heck thanks to steam sales I was able to get around 40 fun games I was looking forward too for about 65 bucks (the price of one AAA game).

On the console side I find myself buying less games every year because of the increased crap they are throwing at the consumer.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
Dragon Zero said:
It's never been a secret what they do with their money, but Dan Cathy's comments to an interviewer got it more press, and more of the public that didn't know about it now knows.

I suspect you're in the camp agreeing with Antoine Dodson, knowing that a boycott will hurt the local business owners and employees more than the corporation.
More or less. Plus my nephew is rather enamored with the place and arguing with a 5 year old high functioning autistic is like charging an armored division armed with your bare hands. However I do think if it's to be discussed, this isn't the right thread. I was just trying to understand why people are making such a stink recently.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Great video as always. This is stuff he's been saying for a long time, and it's kinda sad that he had to take a whole video just to spell it out.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's hilarious because I thought this was going to be a slightly different subject than it is, but it's still in the same vein.

It's like people that hate Mass Effect 3 and won't shut the fuck up about why they hate it. But I guess Dumbledore would call it love. They love it so much that any minor amount of disappointment caused them to hate it. It's like Star Wars fanboys, and that's saying that as a Star Wars fanboy. The more we hate it, it means the more we love it.

Gamers are a vexing group. Sometimes we are so in love with something that we refuse to see the flaws, and some times, we magnify the flaws to the point where we don't have fun with it anymore. I love Transformers War for Cybertron, and while Fall of Cybertron's multiplayer demo isn't making me feel like the multiplayer is better, I will still be getting FoC and will merrily scrap robots for months to come.

It's okay to love or hate something. The trick is to not fool yourself. The point behind games is to have FUN. If you had fun, then wasn't that all that mattered? My favorite Final Fantasy title is VIII, but I could criticize that all day in a way that the Spoony One could only dream of; but it's because I love it that I am critical of it. And that's okay, you know?

Captcha: Riff-raff

Woot.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Dragon Zero said:
More or less. Plus my nephew is rather enamored with the place and arguing with a 5 year old high functioning autistic is like charging an armored division armed with your bare hands. However I do think if it's to be discussed, this isn't the right thread. I was just trying to understand why people are making such a stink recently.
It's just the media, trying to stir up ratings by stirring up controversy. I guess nothing was happening last week, so someone thought "Hey! Let's go ask the conservative guy who runs a business that's not open on Sundays what he thinks about marriage! And we'll all be shocked by his answer!" It's all about ratings, and nothing more.

And I just love you for your support of autistic people. :) They may have issues, but some of their gifts can more than easily compensate for that. :)

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, problem is that the only way to be taken seriously by commercial players is by and large to vote with one's wallet, which mean missing out on the games if you want to take an actual stand against the practises tied to them.

Or of course come up with alternate business practises that can ensure equal or greater revenue to the invasive ones, or more likely support those developers/distributors who do take a leap of faith with something like "No DRM" by buying their games. But unfortunately good business practises don't equal to good games.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
sindremaster said:
balberoy said:
This is the wrong prespective.
If the developer doesn't produce the games we want (what the apparently don't do anymore)
and it's the publishers mistake, those developers will search a new publisher.

But you still buy games and so nothing will change.

For me noone who still buys from EA, Activision and Ubisoft is a Gamer.
Sry, those "customers" pay for destroying our loved hobby.
But they do produce the games I want, I just hate the publishers for different reasons.
I love Bioware games, but I hate what EA does with DLC.
I love Assassin's Creed, but I hate Ubisoft's DRM.
Bioware is owned by EA and Ubisoft makes AC, which means they can't find a new publisher. I love their games and want to support the devs so I buy their games.
In other words, you want things to change but you are not willing to make even the slightest sacrifice. Sorry, but that is just lousy thing to do and will not work.

I want million dollars but I will not move mu ass from the chair is not how things work.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I'm just a little curious what Jim meant about the PS3 being bad with high speed internet. I'm not trying to be a PS3 fanboy, I'm honestly just wondering if there's been some problems with it in the past I didn't notice with mine. Anyone know?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Quiotu said:
I've been saying this for a while, and it's nice to see someone make a video about this train of thought.

I bought SSX new because the online pass wasn't needed to play. I bought ME3 used with a free online pass I got from a friend because of the opposite practice. I'd like to think I can steer companies in ways I want by using my money as a carrot. You make your games in a way I like, and I give you a sale. If you don't, I'll fuck you over.

Same with Ubisoft. I bought Rayman Origins and Lumines for the Vita because they were awesome games, and I still might down the line get the latest Driver game because I really liked how it played. However, I refuse to buy ANYTHING Ubisoft makes for the PC because of their hideous online DRM practices. Bethesda's games I buy years later for cheap and only on the PC because it's only the modding community that makes their games playable, sometimes literally.

Again, you don't have to boycott an entire goddamn publisher because of what they do. Hell, boycotting EA or Activision is going to make you miss out on a lot of really good content. If you have that kind of dedication, then by all means. But don't have a cry and say you'll never buy anything from them, then break that promise a month later. Be selective... if a game was made with practices that you don't like, then don't buy it, but don't miss out on good games that were made with good intentions simply because you don't like the publisher.

Now if only I could do something to change a few other practices publishers are frequently using now through my wallet, but I don't see how I can. How do consumers change the practice of using MetaCritic or sales quotas to hold an IP hostage? Those are practices I really want to see die, but not sure how I can make a difference... which is a shame.
I like your mentality and approach. Unfortunately the publishers will just use it as proof that they're right in fighting piracy with bad DRM and fighting used games. Personally I loved the first two Mass Effects and bought all the content. For the third, I am waiting for a used one and then not getting any of the additional content. I just can't condone many of EA's practices. I get that the goal is to make money, but I think the way to make money is to treat your customers well instead of trying to milk them.