Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - The Last of Us

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I don't know if it counts, but didn't Jim gives The Stanley Parable a 10/10 on Destructoid? More than he gave Bioshock Infinite AND The Last Of Us? That's my guess for his last one (and it deserves it).

Anyways, no complaints with the list so far (though I'm not a mobile gamer, so I can't talk for that fishing game). The Last of Us definitely was one of the best games this year to me, even if it's not my #1 (which at this point of time might be Rayman Legends but I still have a few on my "to play" list like Tomb Raider, Blood Dragon, Gone Home, and I have yet to finish Pokemon X). Total agreement with all Jim said here.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
A bit of a missed opportunity to put The Last Of Us last

Oh well, I agree with the choice either way

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I think the number 1 game is going to be The Stanley Parable, if Jim's review of it is anything to go by. [http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-stanley-parable-263731.phtml]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So much praise for The Last of Us from critics, yet never a syllable uttered regarding the stunning musical score. :'(

I'm always a bit sad to see this part of the game overlooked so much, because for me the game would probably be 30% less effective without it. It's that good. And that while it's the guy's first video game soundtrack.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Agreed with everything you said about The Last of Us. It was almost a perfect game from where I am standing. The final level was a little too shooty perhaps, but to be fair given it being the climax, and where it was set, it did fit within the game overall.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
It sucks a lot of the mystery and intrigue out of the videos when the name of the game that won is in the title of the video.

And I still can't believe people complain about the ending. It was amazing, the ending was so good I immediately forgot about all the petty little annoyances in the gameplay. The story told in Last of Us was incredible and worth an award in and of it's self.

And then on my second playthrough I... remembered all the petty little annoyances in the gameplay... And then I stopped playing...

[sub]Paper's Please! Paper's Please! Paper's Please! Paper's Please![/sub]

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I think the number 1 game is going to be The Stanley Parable, if Jim's review of it is anything to go by. [http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-stanley-parable-263731.phtml]
I dunno, he seemed pretty excited [http://www.destructoid.com/review-saints-row-iv-259412.phtml] about Saints Row IV

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Legion said:
Agreed with everything you said about The Last of Us. It was almost a perfect game from where I am standing. The final level was a little too shooty perhaps, but to be fair given it being the climax, and where it was set, it did fit within the game overall.

I find myself wanting to know what the intro music to these awards are, anybody know? The credits at the end have the normal song listed, but not this one.
It's shown on the very last few seconds of each video. Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon. I have a Youtube video of the song playing in the background as I type this...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The_Darkness said:
Legion said:

I find myself wanting to know what the intro music to these awards are, anybody know? The credits at the end have the normal song listed, but not this one.
It's shown on the very last few seconds of each video. Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon. I have a Youtube video of the song playing in the background as I type this...
Ah, thanks. I assumed it wasn't on there as it wasn't listed with the other song.

EDIT: Can't find it on iTunes or Amazon... but the video uploaded on Youtube has a lot of people thanking Jim for introducing it to them, which is funny.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah....it was brilliant. While frustrating at parts, especially early on when your weapons are shit, or when fighting other shooty guys...fuck I cant use a gamepad for aiming...it was a bit annoying, but the story and presentation...brilliant.

A beautiful game that managed to have a decent ending as well. Loved it.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Warning! This is a personal opinion.

I hate The Last of Us, not the game itself, and not the developer (despite the fact I can't stand anything they made in 7th gen). I hate what it represent: The idea that a "great" game can have all it's "great" parts being non-interactive. All the "great" part, they are all cutscene, or an equivalent to a cutscene (aka scripted events). And gameplay is standard shooting mechanics and lazy stealth mechanics. The gameplay is not very good, or in other words: Sterling gave a game award to a movie.

Questions to fans of The Last of us:
1: How do the Mechanics interact with the narrative, specifically the theme or the characters?
2: What is the player arc?

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
I think the game is excelent and deserves all the prizes it gets, However, I really didn't like that ending. It does not make sense. It destroys everything you were building to.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know the sad thing is I don't own a PS3, and while I have been experiencing the game on a friend's PS3, she's been away at college the last few months, we never got to finish it. Maybe we'll have a chance to when she gets back.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I still think that the ending wouldn't affect me that much (I looked it up, but that's not the point I am making, this is ->) nihilistic media has desensitized me slightly to such endings, also TLoS might've stood out to me more if it wasn't so constantly nihilistic, even in The Walking Dead there were moments of peace, quiet, even humour sometimes, but TLoS just seems like a long, continous slog of negativity*

Nonetheless, I respect Jim's decision as these things are supposed to be highly subjective, so I respect his decisions to stand by his choices.

*[small]At least based on the walkthroughs I have watched so far of it(in terms of theme, not ending)[/small]

[small]It's all rendered moot though, the true GoTYs for 2013 are Octodad: Dadliest Catch and Amazing Frog[/small]