Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - The Last of Us

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Goliath100 said:
*All the posts in one snip*
Yeesh, there's no need to be so confrontational about this. It's fine that you don't like the game, but is it really necessary to keep attacking people who did like it?

People are allowed to have different opinions, and shouldn't be interrogated every time they say something that isn't to your liking.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
There's still several good choices for tomorrow.... Saints Row 4, The Stanley Parable, and A Link Between Worlds....

(All of which I would easily put above Ridiculous Fishing btw)

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
Jim does not get to have carte blanche for anything stupid he says, between the live actions segments that book-end the show and outside of blatantly highlighted hyperbole (which this was not), what he says has to be able to stand up to scrutiny, and if that can't be granted then NOTHING he says is worth taking seriously.
Oh, come on, he was clearly being hyperbolic. Or do you not get things like context and tone? Although I do agree that most of what he says shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, it's just a comedy video about games. there's not a lot about games that should be taken too seriously. Another hint: we're using a site called "the Escapist."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Goliath100 said:
Casual Shinji said:
The problem is that all those games are, by now, old. Resident Evil 4 (which is the close to tLoU) was released in 2005, that is almost 9 years ago. Do not tell me that a game in 2013 should be judged by the same standards as a game from 2005.
What does age have to do with it? We're talking about linear games, which according to you are bad because of cutscenes and scripted events. When there are plenty of linear games that are fantastic, precisely because they're linear and thus present you with a focused experience.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
What does age have to do with it?
Because none are arguing that that Iron Man 2's(one of the worst games of the 7th gen) graphics good compared to Super Mario 64, or the first Tomb Raider. You are ignoring 9 years of development of interactive storytelling.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Goliath100 said:
Aardvaarkman said:
What you are posting is telling me that "cinematic experience" means cutscenes (in a game context).
Cinematic experiences in games does not necessarily mean scripted events, though considering a game is only a compilation of scripts any event can technically be considered a scripted one.

The term "cinematic experience" was originally used to compliment a game that offered cinematic quality i.e the quality one would experience in cinema. Try to remember a time where the experience of a game was a lot more static with rudimentary animations and limited or non-existent voice acting (unless it was an FMV game). Among that standard, games popped up that had characters animate fluidly and were played by competent voice actors. At first this was almost exclusively tied to pre-animated or pre-rendered sequences.

It's taken for granted these days since the standard of games has pushed forward so far and "cinematic" applies to many titles. However there are still games that outdo the standard.

What you need to understand is that "Cinematic" does not mean pre-determined. A round of Battlefield 3 on a full server can have a cinematic quality to it, unless players start dicking about. A fire fight across a street section between 2 groups of infantry getting up turned by the introduction of heavy ordinance like a Tank or an attack chopper can make a sequence feel immensely cinematic, but lacking the pre-determination that you seem to think cinematic means.

You see it's not the direction of a person that makes something feel cinematic (though in cinema it is the director who ties everything together to make something work) it's the interaction between visuals, audio, motion and (mostly in film) camera.

Goliath100 said:
Is the meaningful storytelling the letters/notes or finding them?
There is more to TLoUs exploration then just the notes. Stashes have their own stories, the environment sshows the ruinage of mankind but also the reclamation of the land by nature (life goes on)... throughout the game, despite never leaving the here and now outside of the opening sequence, we are shown a story that stretches 20 years, from the beginning of a nightmare to the world TLoU has become. Catching a group of enemies unaware will usually get some sense of these characters lives, often carrying a sympathetic element. Stumbling upon an infestation has it's own set of tells and stories. The world tells us about what has happened, it tells us about the nature of things in this ruins of man and more importantly it tells us what Joel has faced in that time and all that Ellie has ever known.

Goliath100 said:
Casual Shinji said:
The problem is that all those games are, by now, old. Resident Evil 4 (which is the close to tLoU) was released in 2005, that is almost 9 years ago. Do not tell me that a game in 2013 should be judged by the same standards as a game from 2005.
What makes you think that a game of 2013 is automatically better then a game of 1990? Bigger budgets? No, if anything the budgets of games has stifled quality and innovation, not enhanced it. Larger studios? I think the old adage is "too many cooks spoil the broth". Better Tech? Certainly this makes a difference, but ultimately the tech are just tools for manipulation. A few hundred years ago to do a painting you need to pluck the hairs off of animal directly to create your brush, mix your own paint from scratch and still create works of art that are revered to this day as exemplary. Just because paintbrushes can be made from plastic fibers instead of horse tail and paint bases are manufactured for ease of use, does not automatically make modern paintings superior.

A lot of modern engineering still uses principles established decades, if not centuries ago.

I just don't see how age matters...

When did age become a disqualifier for greatness? A game that was great in 2005 can still be great in 2013. On average it isn't, but exceptions do exist. If something exemplified what games could do years ago, why shouldn't we hold modern games to that standard, at least until another game pushes the boat out even further? Has any game managed to outdo what Mario did for platforming over 2, nearly 3, decades ago? Heck, modern Mario seems to struggle under its own lineages shadow, let alone all the competitors that ape its formula. It's been refined of course, but it hasn't been improved. Mario of nearly 30 years ago is still basis for platformers today, no matter how much you remix it or splice genres together.

If you think standards are just a linear progression from one generation to the next, then you are incredibly naive. Improvements do happen over time, but things that buck trends or start their own come incredibly infrequently. Sometimes the creators themselves don't know what works, which is why so very often sequels feel alien to the game they are meant to be sequential to.

Standards that are set by the way of excellence are not easily outdone. You should probably stop taking that fact for granted.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Bittersteel said:
Please be Metro Last Light tommorow.Please be Metro last light tommorow. Oh, who am I kidding. Of course it won't be.
I will have to go with that one as well. Personally if I had my way The Last Of Us would not end up on anyone's game of the year list. The story was amazingly engrossing but the gameplay was so damn linear, restrictive, and mechanical in an open world "ATMOSPHERE" that I just could not compel myself to finish it by any stretch of the imagination.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
If I'm guessing Jim ... Saints Row 4 will be next.
Didn't he really like it?

Oh well, onto this episode.
I don't like The Last of Us, I mean damn it did look good like all Naughty Dog games. It is just that I didn't like the characters much, the story was okay ... I can admit that, but the gameplay was something that I found boring in a short while.

[sub][sub]This is why I prefer their Jak and Daxter series.[/sub][/sub]

But you know what, I can see why many vote it to be GotY, I'm not going to say "UGH, IT SUCKS, WHY DID YOU LIKE IT". I respect other people's opinions and that includes Jim. Sure I would go on a rant and list points why I think it is bad, but this is surely the wrong thread to do it in.

I'll still raise my glass to Naughty Dog though, I just hope they will return to their roots one day.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I've had The Last of Us on PS3 since not long after release, I got it with GTA5 by trading in a LOT of old games, but I haven't got around to playing it yet, mostly due to GTA5 and Kingdom Hearts HD being higher on my list, and being very busy over the last 3 months, but I've just put it in now, let's see where this goes

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Jim has spoken. The Last of Us is perfect

Goliath100 said:
Questions to fans of The Last of us:
1: How do the Mechanics interact with the narrative, specifically the theme or the characters?
2: What is the player arc?
Well it's obvious you don't give a shit about other people's opinions on game you've never played, but I read that you argue to convince the spectators not the person you're arguing with

For one, the game has the typical "humans are the real monsters" theme but it presents it through gameplay. The first and most obvious enemies are the infected, the clickers, and the disease itself given a few spore filled areas you have to traverse. There is no central antagonist going "I'll catch you next time Ellie and Joel!". Eventually, humans are introduced as enemies and then spoilerish territory

All your weapons and techniques slowly get better and better. There's a whole room full of infected? Just attract them with a glass bottle and burn them with a Molotov. Later you get a flame thrower and the infected are easy to take care of with some planning. The humans on the other hand get worse as the story goes on. The random bandits with pieces of wood become organized gangs with assault rifles and vehicles. They won't run at you head first either, they'll sneak and flank you. They're way more dangerous and can suck up a lot more of your supplies

As the for the "player arc", I don't quite see your point. Are you saying the only good games are stuff like Fallout and Elder Scrolls where you build a character? Or do you prefer a silent protagonist Gordon Freeman style? The characters you play as are Ellie and Joel and I'm not going to summarize the entire game for you

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Britpoint said:
I feel like you are being unbelievably vague in your request. Can you perhaps provide a couple of examples of games that in your view do what you are asking for really well (and explain why they do it well), so that I have a valid point of comparison?
Ok, let's talk player arc:
Spec Ops: The Line start as a typical military shooter: Heroic good guys, brown people to shot and a villain with a poorly explained motive. But that the game start blaming the player for everything going wrong. And how the player respond to this criticism is the arc for the player, with Walker as a dark mirror.

And then there is Metro 2033:
A game about not giving in to once less instincts, and then recontextualize the standard shooting, and stealth mechanics into a constant test of just that: Will the player (and Artyom) revolt to their lesser instinct when challange, or take the higher road?

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Uuuugh! I still really want to play it, but I just can't stomach shelling out for a PS3 for one game:(

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Goliath100 said:
Britpoint said:
I feel like you are being unbelievably vague in your request. Can you perhaps provide a couple of examples of games that in your view do what you are asking for really well (and explain why they do it well), so that I have a valid point of comparison?
Ok, let's talk player arc:
Spec Ops: The Line start as a typical military shooter: Heroic good guys, brown people to shot and a villain with a poorly explained motive. But that the game start blaming the player for everything going wrong. And how the player respond to this criticism is the arc for the player, with Walker as a dark mirror.

And then there is Metro 2033:
A game about not giving in to once less instincts, and then recontextualize the standard shooting, and stealth mechanics into a constant test of just that: Will the player (and Artyom) revolt to their lesser instinct when challange, or take the higher road?
Now It seems quite clear that you have not played The Last of Us, since it shares more than a bit with those "great examples" that you are proposing.
You'd really have to play it to see how it manages to provide both the linear narrative (really quite akin to Spec ops) and the narrative through gameplay, also very similar to that game, with a far subtler moralist purpose... And that ending... it is just so impressively grey. Likewise it shares a lot of the creative combat scenarios with Metro, although 2033 is more open ended, it also falls into the same narrative bottlenecks far more jarringly than TLoU ( while telling an interesting story in a much less proficient way ).

All I can recommend is for you to play it before you make judgements on its value.

Also, it is a bit silly to value works of art by age. You think Picasso's paintings should be better than the Sistine Chapel or the Lascaux Cave paintings? You think Justin Radiohead is better than Sergei Rachmaninoff? Of course not, even if they are hundreds of years apart and use different techniques and probably the newer ones had many technological advances to ease their production... The value of the piece is not tied solely to the technical limitations of the time, in fact it can be enhanced by that perspective. Classics live through time. as a representation of their time.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I freaking love this game so goddamn much, and I agree with you, the ending was fantastic.

The only thing I really don't like about the game is listen mode, which admittedly you can turn off.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Delcast said:
Do you have any direct examples of that? That does not fall under "accidental subtext" or over analysis. And it need to be consistent break from status quo.

[quote/]Also, it is a bit silly to value works of art by age.[/quote]
This have become a straw man. What you are proposing is that The Last of Us should be placed in the same historical as Half-Life 2. Code word being "the same".I'm not saying that X game need to hold up to modern standards, but that a game from 2013 need to be judged like it was released in 2013. The argument that keeps being used is:"Final Fantasy 7 looked great when it come out, so it looks great now, without historical license."

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
really a shame this game only came out for PS3. i would love to play but since its not available on pc, it makes it harder to play it.
wondering what his #1 will be. maybe tomb raider or gta 5.