Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Five

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
My only gripe with The Walking Dead was how if I was to replay it I had to watch
every
single
cutscene
for
its
full
duration
and it put me off seeing the alternative results of a potentially more pragmatic, more heartless or more moral Lee.

That being said, the ending I got was the best possible ending I could have hoped for.
Clemintine shot me to put me out of my misery (and I hope to harden her to make such decisions in the future) at my bequest. Watching Clemintine meet Christa and Omid at the train tracks I directed both of them to go to made me wish I had a pipe to take out of my mouth and salute myself for my own decision making.

They clearly had always wanted a kid and would care for and protect one deeply. Clemintine was now capable of defending herself, considerate towards others and sensible with her chices.
A game deserving of much praise for its story, characters, decision making, consequences and having the best child character I can possibly think of.

Sure mechanically it causes a bit of frustration but it hits the nail on the head in every other area.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Jim, I must applaud you for this week of awards. Not only well done, it shows as a barometer as why you are worth listening to. I started off not a fan of your show. Only cheeking in when you had an episode of interest.Then started to watch on a weekly basis. Still not my favorite show of the week, but I think that has more to do with tastes being different is all. Well done, and I hope that you do something similar with unappreciated game of the year. Be nice to know what I might of missed during the year.

Even if you don't, the show be worth watching. Best of luck with Holidays, and hopefully you get that coal powered death machine working. You've done well this year in getting someone who isn't a fan, becoming a fan just on quality.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Fappy said:
lazarus1209 said:
Fappy said:
I've heard they're planning to release all the episodes as one game soon. Any chance anyone knows when that'll be available?
It's already there - came out December 11th.
Yeah, just looked at the wiki page. I think I know what I am playing this weekend...

EDIT: Scratch that. Going to wait for Steam to put it a bit more on sale. 25% off right now, but I bet it'll hit 50% before the winter sale is over.
They had it on sale just during the last Steam sale for $10. I told everyone in the Brovengers but noooooooo, no one ever listens to the raving fanboy. XD
It's also going on sale on XBLA some when this month too. XD

But yeah, The Walking Dead is fantastic. Simply the best game I've played this year.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
yes emotional is a very overused phrase really the only game that I played that I can truly call emotional is mother 3.

keosegg

Jul 9, 2011
Abomination said:
Clemintine shot me to put me out of my misery (and I hope to harden her to make such decisions in the future) at my bequest. Watching Clemintine meet Christa and Omid at the train tracks I directed both of them to go to made me wish I had a pipe to take out of my mouth and salute myself for my own decision making.

They clearly had always wanted a kid and would care for and protect one deeply. Clemintine was now capable of defending herself, considerate towards others and sensible with her chices.
What? How did you get that? I demand to know! All I got was

a cutscene of Clementine wandering out into a field when she sees two shadowy figures in the distance and she contemplates calling out to them.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm not sure why but I simply didn't like The Walking Dead so much. Maybe my expectation were too high or something like that but I didn't enjoy it all that much and didn't think it was that good. However, I can see why others praise it and love it so much.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the award show, all the games you picked can be considered great games of 2012 and you give great explanations as to why you chose them.
Looking forward to next year, I assume there will be one again since you called it the annual award show?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Update: I've been informed that I've returned the favor to TellTale, and now some of them are crying thanks to the video. :)
Nice. Congrats, Jim. I've always been hesitant about picking up The Walking Dead because I don't read the comics or watch the show, but from what I've seen and heard, that doesn't really matter, and I can enjoy the game on its own merits.

And I think I'll do just that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

Congratulations to The Walking Dead. Seriously, was there ever any doubt?

BioWare can definitely learn (or re-learn) a thing or two from Telltale.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i agree with Jim. He`s dead on about The Walking Dead. I love such emotional stuff, and by god, did that game press the right buttons. Now, i need to advertize the game to everyone.

The overall Awards show was quite nice, as well. I´d love to see another one like this, next year. With possibly The Walking Dead still being in there, and all.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yep, totally expected and nothing I didn't already know as I'd already played it myself and experienced the same things. But it's always nice to see a game that isn't some big AAA title with a budget in the millions of dollars and a big name publisher behind it get the credit it deserves, and The Walking Dead honestly deserves nothing less than Game of the Year. It delivered on so many things that those big name titles constantly promise but never deliver. Perfect example, The Walking Dead is how you properly do moral choices, not the bullshit that Mass Effect or inFamous pull. One blatantly good choice and one blatantly bad choice is not a moral choice, it's just picking whatever choice gives you more points in your meter for either good or bad because you must fill one and precisely one meter while not letting a single point get into the other one if you don't want to get locked out of content. And Jim already talked about doing child characters in an earlier episode so no need for me to repeat it.

Face it, AAA game industry: the little guys kicked your collective asses. But don't feel ashamed, just take some time out to play The Walking Dead and learn from it, so that the next time you promise deep characters or moral choices, you can fucking deliver instead of doing the crap you've been doing for years again.

keosegg said:
Abomination said:

a cutscene of Clementine wandering out into a field when she sees two shadowy figures in the distance and she contemplates calling out to them.
Pretty sure that Abomination is lying out of his ass:

10:00 on this video where he tells Omid and Christa to go to the train tracks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnYTXNfqqBg] + 0:00 on this video where he tells Clem to find Omid and Christa at the train tracks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE2huNaf4Gw] = No cutscene of Clementine meeting up with Omid and Christa (the second link is the final video so you can skip ahead or just watch the entire thing).

If Abomination did get a special cutscene, I demand video or photo proof. But honestly, if this was an actual thing in the game, we would have heard about it long before some random clown on the Escapist forum mentioned it, and there would already be videos of it on YouTube (of which I can find none). So yeah, I feel pretty safe in calling Abomination a liar liar pants on fire.

Jimothy Sterling said:
Update: I've been informed that I've returned the favor to TellTale, and now some of them are crying thanks to the video. :)
Nice.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008

Liability tier?
No mention to perhaps one of the most hated characters in the game. Who simple existence caused so much harm and misery to those around him?

This game is amazing how they made me hate a character so much despite he is never actually doing anything against you intentionally.

Although I'm against the games decision of not letting you get rid of him as you see him.

My only other real problem with the game is that your decisions did effect the story, but didn't really effect the out come. Not having a character here, while having a character there basically amounted to different dialog, but the end result would always be the same. Still a step in the right direction I guess. For example is you saved X at one point of the game, they might shine a light in someone's eye to blind them as appose to simply shooting them. End result of course is that they get taken care off, and you are still given the choice to finish off this character, or simply knock them out.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Wonderful. :( Jim too.
Now we can expect more quicktime events in future games. Most of us are now calling for movies, not gameplay.

I also love how the genre listed beneath the vid is "RPG".

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Well then. That was, um, a five part awards show! From a video host who generally uses comedy to entertain his audience. An award show that over the course of 15-20 minutes contained about two jokes overall.

I'll be happy enough when Jim gets back to the usual format.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
keosegg said:
Abomination said:

Oh, in mine she DID call out to them - or rather waved.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
This game... probably the most well deserving one.

I was staggering so much myself between this one and Dishonored. Dishonored was not as engaging choice wise, but had some very freeing gameplay in a stuck up linear narrow corridor industry as of right now.

Walking Dead was the other end of the neglected spectrum of good characters, morally grey choices with no obvious black and white with consequences and a sense of urgency. Walking Dead wins at the end... it really is something magnificent. Nothing the last couple of years comes close to this in satisfactory time spent.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
JoJo said:
Gah, you don't know how frustrating it is to not have a working console at the moment, as soon as I have the time and money to invest in something I can play this game on I will buy it!

These awards overall have been fun, kudos to you Jim.
It's on PC?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Fappy said:
lazarus1209 said:
Fappy said:
I've heard they're planning to release all the episodes as one game soon. Any chance anyone knows when that'll be available?
It's already there - came out December 11th.
Yeah, just looked at the wiki page. I think I know what I am playing this weekend...

EDIT: Scratch that. Going to wait for Steam to put it a bit more on sale. 25% off right now, but I bet it'll hit 50% before the winter sale is over.
But if you pay more ( yes it is more expensive) but you are showing more support to the developer, and if the game is everything Jim says it is then it is totally worth the extra few bucks (I don't know for sure I haven't played it only started to download it 1 minute ago)

Azuaron said:
JoJo said:
Gah, you don't know how frustrating it is to not have a working console at the moment, as soon as I have the time and money to invest in something I can play this game on I will buy it!

These awards overall have been fun, kudos to you Jim.
It's on PC?
Yes it is on PC. Steam to be specific. 25% off right now.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I don't think I've ever cried from a video game, but then again....a good chunk of the games I play are Mario