Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Five

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Damned fine line up will say played 80% of them and may consider the last thanks to you :) loved the overall winner to a fault Walking Dead is damned good.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
The Walking Dead is being talked about so much this year, not to mention in so many GotY categories over many different sites, that I almost feel compelled to play it. My main problem? It's from Telltale Games.

I've played a few of their games and, frankly, they sucked. Game play was non-existent, writing absolutely horrible and cliched, and it always felt like a waste of time. Jurassic Park was my first episodic game from them that I played and I only did it because they were free and they each had trophies. I'm trying to get through Back to the Future except...how can anyone play a game that's so point-and-click? It's as if they are still making games for a mid '90s audience.

From what I understand, The Walking Dead has the same gameplay as these other games but with better writing? Eh...I don't know.

And for the record, if there was ever a game that made me cry, it was Mass Effect 3 (aka the game-which-must-not-be-named), and not because of how it ended. Journey was also a bawler. Climbing up the mountain in the snow by myself...damn.

Wait, Jim, did you never cry during Journey? Well...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
never really cared for this game but maybe i will give it a try if i feel like it and its cheap. i still havent played spec ops which i was keeping an eye on. i wait till steam has it cheaper or get it from the store when their price drops.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Abomination said:
Clemintine shot me to put me out of my misery (and I hope to harden her to make such decisions in the future) at my bequest. Watching Clemintine meet Christa and Omid at the train tracks I directed both of them to go to made me wish I had a pipe to take out of my mouth and salute myself for my own decision making.

They clearly had always wanted a kid and would care for and protect one deeply. Clemintine was now capable of defending herself, considerate towards others and sensible with her chices.
Can you perhaps give some proof of this because the ending I got and from what research I've done all go like this
She sees two silhouettes of people on the horizon. Seems indecisive if she should join them or stay alone. In this ending there is no proof of who they are or if she joins them.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with Jim's choice for GOTY. It was definitely my choice too. The story was amazing, the characters were near perfect, the voice acting was great, my main problem with the game is the technical stuff. Framerate issues, saves being deleted(didn't happen to me but I'd have been annoyed if it did),etc. None of this should stop anyone from playing the game though. As for the choices not having much of an effect on the story, I disagree. Sure, it didn't change the story much at all, and the outcome was the same for everyone, but what really mattered was the character interaction, which, when you think about it, was what the game was going for. Your choices in who you sided with, how many times you sided with/against that person, and just overall whatever you say to them changed the way they viewed and thought about you. It also changed Lee's personality.

Also on the subject of gameplay, I really didn't have a problem with it not having so much. The story held me from start to finish, and when you did actually play, it wasn't by any means bad either. It was unique considering that just about every other game you see on the market now is a AAA explosions, stabby stabby, spray and pray game that, normally, focuses on the action more than the story. I value story above just about everything else. It has to be some damn fun gameplay to keep me playing if I don't find any interest in the story. Besides, in the end, isn't the point of any video game to provide you an experience? The experience that The Walking Dead gave me was by far one of the best experiences that I've ever had playing a video game. I don't find anything wrong with someone not liking it, that's their opinion, but I don't agree with the people who say it doesn't deserve the awards it's getting because it's not a "game" or that the choices don't "matter", it is a game, regardless that it has little gameplay, it is enough for it to be considered a video game, and the choices do matter, just not in a way that many people were likely expecting.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm going to be getting this game as soon as possible. As a fan of the Walking Dead (comics) it is hard to believe it took me so long to get around to getting it. I think it's because I was worried it would do nothing but make me depressed, like the comic. Thank God for Jim, as he has assured that there is humor to be had in this game's journey as well.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Walking Dead was a good experience but can hardly be called a "game", there's hardly any gameplay in it. It's more like an interactive movie and for something with its main emphasis on story it doesn't even have multiple endings. In addition for people who played the scenarios multiple times they'll realized the player's choice is an illusion which doesn't really change anything. The people who are going to die are going to die and the ones that's going to live will live.

While it certainly deserves mentioning, it's by no way "game of the year".

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
The Walking Dead is a bloody amazing piece of work. But it took way too long for each episode to release so i'd forgotten peoples names, what had happened etc. This of coufse can just be solved by waiting for the whole series to release before playing. Like the show. You want to wait for the box set.

My only gripe with the actual GAME is that they've followed story beats from the show too closely. I want to see them really branch out on their own next time they clearly have the talent.

Job well done Tell Tale.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
JoJo said:
Azuaron said:
It's on PC?
jmarquiso said:
iOS. You can get all the episodes on iOS.

Edit: Didn't realize you had a PC as well. You could buy it in episodes on console, and download the whole thing at once on PC (you had to buy a season pass rather than episode by episode).
I appreciate the tips but I don't have a iOS device and my laptop is close to five years old, I used an Xbox 360 until it broke down recently. I'm just going to have to wait it out until I can afford a new 360 or PS3 :p
The requirements for the game are surprisingly low. Check out Can You Run it? to be sure.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
redknightalex said:
The Walking Dead is being talked about so much this year, not to mention in so many GotY categories over many different sites, that I almost feel compelled to play it. My main problem? It's from Telltale Games.

I've played a few of their games and, frankly, they sucked. Game play was non-existent, writing absolutely horrible and cliched, and it always felt like a waste of time. Jurassic Park was my first episodic game from them that I played and I only did it because they were free and they each had trophies. I'm trying to get through Back to the Future except...how can anyone play a game that's so point-and-click? It's as if they are still making games for a mid '90s audience.

From what I understand, The Walking Dead has the same gameplay as these other games but with better writing? Eh...I don't know.

And for the record, if there was ever a game that made me cry, it was Mass Effect 3 (aka the game-which-must-not-be-named), and not because of how it ended. Journey was also a bawler. Climbing up the mountain in the snow by myself...damn.

Wait, Jim, did you never cry during Journey? Well...
Sort of. They turn a lot of adventure game tropes on their heads, and usual game mechanics can change. Even the "hint system" (which you can turn off -as I did), starts saying odd things toward the end.

Part of it is the responsibility you have with this child, and they manage to do that well - despite it being one of the most hated gaming cliches.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I just finished the game, thank you for the recommendation Jim. I did cry at the end.

And all I can think about is that I hope she keeps the hair short, I hope she remembers that.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
veloper said:
I also love how the genre listed beneath the vid is "RPG".
Role-playing. I'd say it works pretty well with The Walking Dead. I didn't really feel like I was game-playing.
RPG has become a meaningless enough term already that I may have to let that one go.

On the computer RPG used to mean a game about killing mobs for XP, so you can kill stronger mobs for more XP, but now it just seems to mean game.

So subgenres to the rescue once again. I'd like to call this subgenre of the RPG: an IAF.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
veloper said:
veloper said:
Role-playing. I'd say it works pretty well with The Walking Dead. I didn't really feel like I was game-playing.
RPG has become a meaningless enough term already that I may have to let that one go.

On the computer RPG used to mean a game about killing mobs for XP, so you can kill stronger mobs for more XP, but now it just seems to mean game.

So subgenres to the rescue once again. I'd like to call this subgenre of the RPG: an IAF.
It's the "game" label I have more trouble with. Call it a "role-playing story", "role-playing experience", anything but a game. There's nothing to win, not enough challenge to be counted as a game.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
veloper said:
veloper said:

It's the "game" label I have more trouble with. Call it a "role-playing story", "role-playing experience", anything but a game. There's nothing to win, not enough challenge to be counted as a game.
I'd say TWD still a game, but it's just that the gameplay is very, very poor and only the presentation and story get much attention.
So a game that should not be GOTY material, only the new blood thinks otherwise, so the decline continues.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
What makes this game less of a game than adventure games like Monkey Island or Phoenix Wright? What about games like Deadly Premonition or Asura's Wrath, where the gameplay is worse than the story and cutscene bits and gets tiring long before the game is over, but the story still makes them interesting to play? I'm happy that the Walking Dead won this year because it made Jim tear up. I'm not sure if I'll give ut a try, but that's because I didn't like the comic all that much and I'm very aware that all the choices are lies that make no difference, which annoys me. It should not be disqualified just because it isn't very heavy on the gameplay side of things.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
RedmistSM said:
What makes this game less of a game than adventure games like Monkey Island or Phoenix Wright? What about games like Deadly Premonition or Asura's Wrath, where the gameplay is worse than the story and cutscene bits and gets tiring long before the game is over, but the story still makes them interesting to play? I'm happy that the Walking Dead won this year because it made Jim tear up. I'm not sure if I'll give ut a try, but that's because I didn't like the comic all that much and I'm very aware that all the choices are lies that make no difference, which annoys me. It should not be disqualified just because it isn't very heavy on the gameplay side of things.
Those games have far better puzzles.