Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Three

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Jimquisition Awards, Part Three

The very first Jimquisition Awards are here! Five days, five games, five awards!

Watch Video
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Good pick Jim. :) It was just lovely.

If the next game is the one I think it is, I wonder why you picked that one?
Oh, well. :) I'll find out tomorrow.
 

Strain42

New member
Mar 2, 2009
2,720
0
0
Lollipop Chainsaw?

For some reason I was expecting Walking Dead to show up on this list (I've never played it, but I keep hearing people talk about it, Jim included)

Go lets see...Dishonored, Lone Survivor, Journey, and (presumably) Lollipop Chainsaw.

One of these 4 will be Jim's game of the year.

I think my money is on Journey, but we'll see.

James Joseph Emerald said:
sindremaster said:
Lollipop Chainsaw tomorrow, I think? I love it.
That wasn't even in his intro video, though.
I think it was, actually. I remember seeing the punk rock zombie who was split in two and fused back together. I'm pretty sure that was from Lollipop Chainsaw.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Surprising nobody, I approve of this video.

Lollipop Chainsaw though? Ugh. I wouldn't say it was a bad game exactly, just a very average one that was trying painfully hard to be "quirky".
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Just to clear up confusion, there are FIVE games winning awards, not four. Friday's final GOTY winner will not be one of the games shown on Monday through Thursday.
 

Vkmies

New member
Oct 8, 2009
941
0
0
Strain42 said:
Lollipop Chainsaw?

For some reason I was expecting Walking Dead to show up on this list (I've never played it, but I keep hearing people talk about it, Jim included)

Go lets see...Dishonored, Lone Survivor, Journey, and (presumably) Lollipop Chainsaw.

One of these 4 will be Jim's game of the year.

I think my money is on Journey, but we'll see.

James Joseph Emerald said:
sindremaster said:
Lollipop Chainsaw tomorrow, I think? I love it.
That wasn't even in his intro video, though.

I think it was, actually. I remember seeing the punk rock zombie who was split in two and fused back together. I'm pretty sure that was from Lollipop Chainsaw.
I am actually fairly certain The Walking Dead will end up being his GOTY. Maybe. What he has talked about on Twitter and especially on Podtoid, it seems like the game really hit home for Jim. I think it got more praise from him than Lone Survivor did. I remember he didn't want to talk about it on the podtoid-episode that came out after episode 5, because it would be too emotionally draining. He also dragged the show on, because his wife was playing it in the other room in the meantime, and he didn't want to experience the ending again. Not because it was bad, but because it was so good.

At least that's what I remember. And leaving a game like that out of a show like this would be criminal. My money is on The Walking Dead being his GOTY.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
Unfortunately I do not have a PS3 :/

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Journey since release. Kinda jelly.

Also, the lack of Willem Dafoe's input in this award show is heart breaking.
 

Mikeyfell

New member
Aug 24, 2010
2,784
0
0
Regardless of what anyone's personal best or second best games of 2012 are I'm pretty sure that Journey is at least 90% of everyone's third best game of 2012.

It's nice when the manditory artsy borderline indy game is so unanimously accepted everyone.

And if tomorrow doesn't turn out to be Lollipop Chainsaw I look forward to seeing what game the golden pompom represents...
 

qeinar

New member
Jul 14, 2009
562
0
0
Mikeyfell said:
Regardless of what anyone's personal best or second best games of 2012 are I'm pretty sure that Journey is at least 90% of everyone's third best game of 2012.

It's nice when the manditory artsy borderline indy game is so unanimously accepted everyone.

And if tomorrow doesn't turn out to be Lollipop Chainsaw I look forward to seeing what game the golden pompom represents...
I think saying that journey will be in 90% of peoples top 3 games of the year would be far off. ^^ Especially when you think about how manny people actually played the game. played journey and it's still not at my top 3. good game though.
 

TheSteeleStrap

New member
May 7, 2008
721
0
0
I want to play Journey, but I don't have a PS3. It would obviously not come to Xbox, but can we get a Steam port? I'd buy that day 1.
 

Guffe

New member
Jul 12, 2009
5,106
0
0
Fun thing being a Nintendo guy is I've never played any of these 4 so far.
Only read about them and watched friends play a few but never actually played them myself.
 

PunkRex

New member
Feb 19, 2010
2,533
0
0
I really need to play The Walking Dead, I hear the ending is wrenching stuff.
 

T3hSource

New member
Mar 5, 2012
321
0
0
This was going through my head:
Jim: It's going to be one of those controversial ones...
My mind: SPEC OPS!SPEC OPS!
*Jim lifts up the pom pom*
Me: Nooooouuu.

Oh Jim,thank god for you anyway ;)
Also is Lollipop Chainsaw your first Suda51 game?I feel the guy should be given a rest so he can get inspiration more naturally rather than being forced to come up with concepts on the fly.
 

Mikeyfell

New member
Aug 24, 2010
2,784
0
0
qeinar said:
I think saying that journey will be in 90% of peoples top 3 games of the year would be far off. ^^ Especially when you think about how manny people actually played the game. played journey and it's still not at my top 3. good game though.
It was just a guess, I still can't read minds no matter how hard I message my temples and squint.

Also these "Outstanding Game Awards" aren't in any particular order.

Me and my friends who review/critique/nit-pick-the-crap-out-of/rant about games all have very different top 5 except Journey is everyone's third place.
 

V TheSystem V

New member
Sep 11, 2009
996
0
0
Wanna see what he thought of Lollipop Chainsaw. Didn't play it, but was oddly intrigued by it.

Game of the Year will be Walking Dead I hope. Or maybe Halo 4 if he wants to throw a bit of a curveball. But hopefully Walking Dead.
 

Devin Barker

New member
Aug 10, 2012
168
0
0
i loved lollipop chainsaw... i feel like all the people complaining dont know what satire is...
 

dangoball

New member
Jun 20, 2011
555
0
0
Oh Jim, Jim, why do you have to be Jim?

If next outstanding game is Lollipop Chainsaw I look forward to the reasoning behind that choice.
 

Assassin Xaero

New member
Jul 23, 2008
5,393
0
0
T3hSource said:
This was going through my head:
Jim: It's going to be one of those controversial ones
My mind: SPEC OPS!SPEC OPS!
*Jim lifts up the pom pom*
Me: Nooooouuu.
Same thing I thought. That was my favorite game of the year, though. Nothing else came close.
 

LetalisK

New member
May 5, 2010
2,769
0
0
I'm assuming Walking Dead is the final winner and the next one is Lollipop Chainsaw. So no Spec Ops: The Line? Don't get me wrong, all the games on the list are fantastic, but I'm a little sad to see Spec Ops isn't one of them.

...maybe the pom-pom is for Spec Ops! >.>
 

T3hSource

New member
Mar 5, 2012
321
0
0
LetalisK said:
...maybe the pom-pom is for Spec Ops! >.>
He didn't review it on Dtoid,so I would assume he didn't play it.
But who knows it might be that the golden pom pom with it's endless strings represents the questions raised in Spec Ops' Dubai(the golden city,by that I mean Dubai represents what paradise on Earth could be as an urban environment,even the game's aesthetic design shows how gorgeous it is even when flooded with sand) :D

[small]Of course I'm just going out of my way to "prove" that Spec Ops is the next game derp,gotta love the game's limitless interpretation possibilities[/small]
 

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
3,560
0
0
Not having a PS3 sucks.
Also living in this country sucks if you want to play console games and you don't have a lot of money.

Captcha: Mea Culpa. No captcha, it's not my fault... stop judging me! >.<'
 

ShuyinTheEnigmatic

New member
Dec 6, 2012
3
0
0
I do believe Journey was worthy of an award. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, and perhaps one of very few things to make me cry. Thank God for Jim for giving such a prestigious award to a fantastic game.
 

Beryl77

New member
Mar 26, 2010
1,599
0
0
Really need to play Journey, I've only heard good things about that game.
I didn't expect Lollipop Chainsaw at all but I like it, although it might be something else of course.
 

Arawn

New member
Dec 18, 2003
515
0
0
Seriously doubt that Halo made the cut. As fun as that game was, does it measure up to the previous game on the list: Dishonored, Lone Survivor, & Journey. Each of them has level design and gameplay mechanics that kept people going back.(Although Journey is pretty damn linear) The only thing I've gotten out of Halo is hours of online play. The feeling I get as the last man standing and getting my enemy as he reloads isn't something the programmers put in. As great as it is, I've done the same in games like Counter Strike. Then again I could be wrong, maybe it is the number one. Still I feel Jim similar to Yahtzee in that they think some FPS are good, but looks for the out of the norm games for excitement.
 

Djaevlenselv

New member
May 3, 2011
18
0
0
So, Jim. I don't want to be mean to you or anything. That would go against my usual thanking god for you after all. But when you post a video whose sole purpose is to state which game gets your award and why... it kinda ruins it, when the video description already mentions exactly that. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I for one like to be surprised when I view countdowns and award lists, so I was just wondering: would it be too much to ask you not to post the names of the winning games in the descriptions for the last videos. Sorry if I'm being rude.

A big fan of yours.
 

Kufaz

New member
Sep 29, 2009
55
0
0
man...I really wish I knew someone who has a ps3.

also these awards should be called the Jimmies.
 

Kurt Cristal

New member
Mar 31, 2010
438
0
0
blackrave said:
Who else thinks that opening track reminds of Pendulum?
That style of music (not pendulum themselves but the electronic music that like that) is "Liquid Drum n' Bass" or "Liquid Funk". I too would like to know the song title, did I miss it in the credits?
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Mikeyfell said:
Regardless of what anyone's personal best or second best games of 2012 are I'm pretty sure that Journey is at least 90% of everyone's third best game of 2012...
Not for me. Since the developers stubbornly refuse to port it to PC so that a much larger section of the games market can enjoy it I have no means of playing it as it is just not worth it to support sony who I am still pissed off at for removing the OtherOS feature from the PS3 and buy a PS3 just for one game! I don't care how good it is! One thing is NOT enough to justify spending almost AU$128 on a pre-owned console! (While it is a significant reduction from the $298.00 asking price for a new one it is just too much money for the ability to play ONE game!)
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Djaevlenselv said:
So, Jim. I don't want to be mean to you or anything. That would go against my usual thanking god for you after all. But when you post a video whose sole purpose is to state which game gets your award and why... it kinda ruins it, when the video description already mentions exactly that. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I for one like to be surprised when I view countdowns and award lists, so I was just wondering: would it be too much to ask you not to post the names of the winning games in the descriptions for the last videos. Sorry if I'm being rude.

A big fan of yours.
The games are announced at the end of the previous episode, that's when the surprise is supposed to happen. Because of the way The Escapist formats its video listings, spoilers in the descriptions are unavoidable. The work around this, I basically announced the game at the end of the last episode, rather than the beginning of the new one. If you watched yesterday's video, you should have had the surprise then, gone into today's video knowing the winner, and then been surprised by the NEXT reveal.

I have a feeling my "unsubtle clue" joke misfired, as people seem to be thinking I deliberately intended them to guess. It's supposed to be obvious. Perhaps next year, if I do more awards, I'll just do straightforward announcements at the end.
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Jimothy Sterling said:
Djaevlenselv said:
So, Jim. I don't want to be mean to you or anything. That would go against my usual thanking god for you after all. But when you post a video whose sole purpose is to state which game gets your award and why... it kinda ruins it, when the video description already mentions exactly that. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I for one like to be surprised when I view countdowns and award lists, so I was just wondering: would it be too much to ask you not to post the names of the winning games in the descriptions for the last videos. Sorry if I'm being rude.

A big fan of yours.
The games are announced at the end of the previous episode, that's when the surprise is supposed to happen. Because of the way The Escapist formats its video listings, spoilers in the descriptions are unavoidable. The work around this, I basically announced the game at the end of the last episode, rather than the beginning of the new one. If you watched yesterday's video, you should have had the surprise then, gone into today's video knowing the winner, and then been surprised by the NEXT reveal.

I have a feeling my "unsubtle clue" joke misfired, as people seem to be thinking I deliberately intended them to guess. It's supposed to be obvious. Perhaps next year, if I do more awards, I'll just do straightforward announcements at the end.
uh huh, uh huh... Jim, have you ever considered moving into a flat with Yahtzee and Graham and Paul from LRR and it being a weekly half hour long sitcom about your antics?

The correct answer is yes.


And open to the floor, is Journey PS3 exclusive then? I was hoping to check it out but I only have a 360 :(
 

Crazy Zaul

New member
Oct 5, 2010
1,217
0
0
Lollipop chainsaw... this is the 1st time I can actually tell what the hell the clue was supposed to mean.
 

Metalrocks

New member
Jan 15, 2009
2,406
0
0
a game i just would love to play but cant. why not release it for the pc. it has potential for it. hopefully one day.

lol, lollipop chainsaw?? well, the game looks like mindless fun. also a game that dint come out for the pc.
 

Zydrate

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,914
0
0
Okay, can someone please tell me what that song in the intro is? I need it in my life.
 

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
1,133
0
0
Kurt Cristal said:
blackrave said:
Who else thinks that opening track reminds of Pendulum?
That style of music (not pendulum themselves but the electronic music that like that) is "Liquid Drum n' Bass" or "Liquid Funk". I too would like to know the song title, did I miss it in the credits?
Zydrate said:
Okay, can someone please tell me what that song in the intro is? I need it in my life.
Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon

You can't buy it anywhere but from them, here :
http://cryogenicechelon.bandcamp.com/album/demigod

it is, however, pay what you want price though!
 

Zydrate

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,914
0
0
MisterShine said:
Kurt Cristal said:
blackrave said:
Who else thinks that opening track reminds of Pendulum?
That style of music (not pendulum themselves but the electronic music that like that) is "Liquid Drum n' Bass" or "Liquid Funk". I too would like to know the song title, did I miss it in the credits?
Zydrate said:
Okay, can someone please tell me what that song in the intro is? I need it in my life.
Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon

You can't buy it anywhere but from them, here :
http://cryogenicechelon.bandcamp.com/album/demigod

it is, however, pay what you want price though!
Oh brilliant. It's essentially free O_O
And I was just thinking of putting it on my Youtube. That's much better! Thanks!
 

Sheo_Dagana

New member
Aug 12, 2009
966
0
0
I want to get this game, even knowing how smug the game's creator is. It still looks quite enjoyable and I have requested quite a bit of Sony cash, so maybe I'll finally pick it up.
 

Djaevlenselv

New member
May 3, 2011
18
0
0
Jimothy Sterling said:
Djaevlenselv said:
So, Jim. I don't want to be mean to you or anything. That would go against my usual thanking god for you after all. But when you post a video whose sole purpose is to state which game gets your award and why... it kinda ruins it, when the video description already mentions exactly that. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I for one like to be surprised when I view countdowns and award lists, so I was just wondering: would it be too much to ask you not to post the names of the winning games in the descriptions for the last videos. Sorry if I'm being rude.

A big fan of yours.
The games are announced at the end of the previous episode, that's when the surprise is supposed to happen. Because of the way The Escapist formats its video listings, spoilers in the descriptions are unavoidable. The work around this, I basically announced the game at the end of the last episode, rather than the beginning of the new one. If you watched yesterday's video, you should have had the surprise then, gone into today's video knowing the winner, and then been surprised by the NEXT reveal.

I have a feeling my "unsubtle clue" joke misfired, as people seem to be thinking I deliberately intended them to guess. It's supposed to be obvious. Perhaps next year, if I do more awards, I'll just do straightforward announcements at the end.
Ah, I see. That went completely over my head. Sorry for complaining then. I shall never question your wisdom again :)
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,847
0
0
does anyone know the opening track? it sounds a bit like celldwellr

EDIT: demigod by cryogenic echelon
 

Gregg Johnson

New member
Jul 25, 2012
39
0
0
Would be cool if people actually read the post (or the ones for the last two videos) for the song title, instead of just posting and hoping someone comes in later and tells them the thing that's already been said a dozen times...
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Damn, the amount of port begging is kind of sad. Game doesn't need to be on PC/Xbox, just get a PS3. It's meant to be experienced on the PS3.
 

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
3,078
0
0
Shame aboute the exclusive thing. I'd love to play it but it seems they don't want my money
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Let me declare my interest here for both Journey and Lollipop Chainsaw on the PC. xD
Chances are I won't play them otherwise, or only when Emulators for these consoles will be out.