Jimquisition: Joy Begets Anger

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Joy Begets Anger

Anger, allegedly, begets anger. However, that's just a fraction of what can make gamers angry. Nowadays, you can't even be happy without it pissing someone off, and it's a damn sad time for all.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Miniature fantasy will always been better than the real person, or that real person's writing. The use of Misery for Misery was clever, too.

Envy seems like a bit of a stretch to describe a reason to hate a game. I very much doubt that it's a wish to love something when you didn't. Of course it's not like that in all cases.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
You say you want to love all games, but do you really?

Do you really want to even imagine a world in which Ride to Hell: Retribution was a title which brought you unadulterated joy and cheer?

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
It seems to me like the problem here is that gamers are just angry when "game media" does anything, at all. I think we've started to look at game media the way we do mainstream, general news outlets - biased shills sporting a position, rather than reporting the news. Also, vocal minority, blah blah blah.

So maybe this is a bigger societal problem than just a gamer thing.

Edit: Thought about this a little more and now new things are spewing from my brain:

The problem in the games industry, if there's one coherent theme through all of Jim's work, is entitlement.

Gamers are entitled to good games with good reviews that follow exactly what they believe a good game and good review should look like.

Studios are entitled to sheeple buying their games with no complaints, then the DLC, then the micro-transactions, etc.

And reviewers are entitled to nobody ever doing anything but praising them for their critiquing abilities, and agreeing with them.

We're all entitled. Even me, bothering to post this on a gaming forum on the Internet. Maybe we all need to get over ourselves and play more damn games.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I cannot believe that this is actually a thing. I think "idiot" is being far too kind to people like that.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I can definitely see why The Escapist made you their new reviews editor.

I can to some degree see why people may be upset that people enjoy a game like Call of Duty. So many games for a long while were trying to be Call of Duty that we are getting no variety. Every game was very similar so it isn't as if there was a massive variety in those games either and it sort of did cause everyone to suffer to some degree. But I personally blame the developers for being lazy and not even changing the game engine in, what has it been, 6 years?

I personally really disliked Splinter Cell Conviction. Not because it was a bad game, but because it didn't feel like a Splinter Cell game and I was somewhat upset with people who liked it because I feared that we may not get another Splinter Cell game like Chaos theory due to the developers moving away from what made the games great in the first place in favor of a larger audience.

Congrats on the William Dafoe signature!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Falterfire said:
You say you want to love all games, but do you really?

Do you really want to even imagine a world in which Ride to Hell: Retribution was a title which brought you unadulterated joy and cheer?
I don't know, some people enjoy laughing at how broken a game is. I suppose that's not enjoyment of the game itself though.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I always wonder if its a feeling of inadequacy. Every has to like or hate what they like......being any different is to belittle their own likes and dislikes. Kinda like people who like sci fi were insulted by people who hated it (the whole jocks vs nerds type thing), and thus the people who liked it were just as shit. (Sorry, not sure how to word what im saying.) Just sounds like they feel threatened if some one likes something different.

Also Jim, how do you know that the little plastic william dafoe isnt the real one and the person that signed that photo is a hack fake da foe?

Morthasa

Jun 22, 2011
On a certain level I get feeling some irritation at seeing a game you dislike being praised (key word being "some"), but certain people take it way too far.

Off Topic: Nostalgic Squee at the Ancestral Trail images in this episode ^_^

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jim mutters "one step closer to the real thing" but is the real thing meeting real Willem DaFoe, or becoming Green Goblin himself?

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
I just think it's sad that gamers just cannot enjoy the game of their choosing without being attacked. It's the reason I rarely posted in the past, it's just another form of bullying, posting in response to them just makes them happy.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
Loved DmC. Really solid game.

I get that some people didn't get what they wanted, but for me it was awesome. One of the best games that came out last year.

Great video. :)

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
I think the problem is that it's more a backlash against developers and publishers more than any anger at the reviewer. Rushed games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Bad industry practices like yearly sequels for Assassin's Creed games and Call of Duty. Shitty DRM in other games.

If you don't want those practices or games to be made, just don't buy them, tell people why they shouldn't buy those games. There will be no more DmC (reboot) games because it bombed at the market horribly, so that's the problem for the haters gone, sure Capcom could've done the actual Devil May Cry 5 in the meantime, but you can't win all the time.

Still the last target for your anger should be people who enjoyed the game, rage all you want, but rage at the one who actually pissed you off. It's not a war where everyone who isn't in your side is the enemy.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
This is not new, Jim

Just because you just got around to noticing something does not mean that it previously did not exist

That would be like seeing Willem DaFoe reprising his roles as Jesus or an FBI agent opposite Gene Hackman and declaring him to be a 'new rising star' in the film industry just because you've never seen any of his previous films.

It is a silly thing.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I can understand it if you don?t like to read or watch a review that bashes something that you like, I guess I can also understand it if you don?t like to read or watch a review that likes something you don?t, but I am confused why people get angry at the reviewers for their opinion.

My only guess is that gamers are Stalin levels of paranoid about reviewers getting paid off.

xNicolex

Oct 1, 2013
Evonisia said:
Envy seems like a bit of a stretch to describe a reason to hate a game. I very much doubt that it's a wish to love something when you didn't. Of course it's not like that in all cases.
It could be, these people are upset that someone can find enjoyment in something easily, I can see someone being envious at that.

xNicolex

Oct 1, 2013
ex275w said:
Rushed games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.
What exactly was rushed about ME3? There was nothing rubbished about ME3 at all, people were just upset that they didn't like the ending, which was pathetic really.