Jimquisition: Lazy, Boring, Ordinary, Art Games

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
I bought 'The Path' a couple years ago after one of the Escapist staff had it on their top 5 games of the year list. I don't begrudge the purchase, but it's not a game I've got saved on my hard drive. Now I get the neat concise little package that art games seem to be, and I can move on to other [more interesting] titles.

I saw Dear Esther and thought: "Hey, someone's trying to capitalize on Skyrim's popularity". Which maybe they are. From all the trailers it looks like an island that might as well be off the shore of Solitude with no enemies or treasure. It looks great, but that nagging feeling that it might be like Myst prevailed and I didn't get it. I never 'got' Myst. As Jim mentioned, Silent Hill is like Myst but with action. So why get the Lite version, just go for the whole shebang.
Silent Hill wishes it was as good as Myst.

odo789

Mar 13, 2012
my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...Nuttyrich . com

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/the-company-of-myself/

Try this game, The Company of Myself. It's good gameplay and it really messes with the narrative, I highly recommend it.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
Moeez said:
The Cheshire said:
Moeez said:
I agree with his argument on certain art games lacking much interaction, but not all.
Thanks for those games, I enjoyed them a lot.
Oh thanks, glad you did! I keep on promoting those games a lot of times in such art games threads.
Good. Talking about free games, I highly recommend Cart Life, it is a free game and it is so absolutely awesome and complex I couldn't even start to talk about it. Try it out, it's worth it. Most art games have really simple gameplay, Cart Life is quite complex in comparison, but it's very very much an art game.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Dead_Lee said:
http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/the-company-of-myself/

Try this game, The Company of Myself. It's good gameplay and it really messes with the narrative, I highly recommend it.
Normally I hate Arty games, But "Company of Myself" is really good though.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
The Cheshire said:
Moeez said:
The Cheshire said:
Moeez said:
I agree with his argument on certain art games lacking much interaction, but not all.
Thanks for those games, I enjoyed them a lot.
Oh thanks, glad you did! I keep on promoting those games a lot of times in such art games threads.
Good. Talking about free games, I highly recommend Cart Life, it is a free game and it is so absolutely awesome and complex I couldn't even start to talk about it. Try it out, it's worth it. Most art games have really simple gameplay, Cart Life is quite complex in comparison, but it's very very much an art game.
You weren't kidding about it being a complex game, could spend hours on it! Also, am I the only one noticing a "The Passage" reference on the pictures of your house wall?

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE9IbKhQ3aw

It's a Dear Esther speedrun. Oh yes. Where's your messiah now?

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Good points well made, Next year I get a chance to meet the guy who made Dear Esther, so perhaps I can ask him what his ideas for the game were.

Though if I remember correctly Dear Esther is pretty old and has just recently been remade, from mod to full-game.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Homefront would be better if they didn't wuss out and made China the enemy.

Also Jim nailed it again. Think of gameplay and artistic value as sliders rather than on off switches.

A game needs a certain level of gameplay first because it is a damn game. Then it can crank up the art around its mechanics.

Braid, World of Goo, Bastion, Limbo, and I would include Out of this World are all examples "art" games that still have sustaining gameplay mechanics.

I think the best analogy of art games would be comic books. With both types of media the creators have a story to tell. Comic books tell the story with visually compelling pages with snapshots and some mostly expository dialog. Art games tell the story with game levels which are snapshots like comic pages. The games have the hook that the player is in control of the protagonist increasing immersion.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
But what Mr Sterling has failed to see and even point out is that art is a cyclical thing like fashion. If it wasn't, we'd all still be painting Renaissance artworks. (Though given the quality of today's modern art, this may be something of an improvement - but this is moot.)

But art, like fashion goes through the motions like anything else until it's buyers or connoisseurs get sick of it and then the art changes to reflect the tastes of the future.

Even renaissance art such as the Sistine Chapel were done on a commissionary basis. Not because it was art for it's own sake - but because the church paid Michaelangelo to do it.

Art for it's own sake is a rare beast, the rest of it is art for money's sake.

I can understand why Mr Sterling fears stagnation in art but it doesn't give him the right to act immaturely toward those who disagree with his own artistic opinions.

If someone considers a can of soup, Victoria Frances pictures, abject sculptures covered in verdigree to be art, it's art - albeit to them. Acting like a petulant child will do nothing to change this.

This raises the following question: Why does Mr Sterling not respect other people's right to buy something they deem to be art? Especially when it doesn't harm or otherwise affect him.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
The Cheshire said:
I am pretty sure he wasn't refering to my sort of argumentation. At least I believe I make better points than "go play your fps lol".
I said that because in the past Jim received a lot of "you are not playing it right"/"you don't have an open mind" comments. Effectively, it is the game's fault if you don't "get it"/"play it right", not the players'.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
ElPatron said:
The Cheshire said:
I am pretty sure he wasn't refering to my sort of argumentation. At least I believe I make better points than "go play your fps lol".
I said that because in the past Jim received a lot of "you are not playing it right"/"you don't have an open mind" comments. Effectively, it is the game's fault if you don't "get it"/"play it right", not the players'.
Well, not really, I don't enjoy Starcraft 2 at all and it's not Blizzard's fault, I just don't happen to enjoy strategy games. Dear Esther is very enjoyable, just not as a game, but as an aesthetic experience. If you want a game, you won't like it.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I get Jim's point, but does he have to reiterate the same points a minimum of 3 times along the course of the film? If he'd made his point and moved on, this video would've been only been 2-3 minutes.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
The Cheshire said:
Well, not really, I don't enjoy Starcraft 2 at all and it's not Blizzard's fault, I just don't happen to enjoy strategy games.
That's not a good analogy at all.

I recommend backtracking on Jim's coverage on "art games". He wasn't "playing it right" because the game never instructed him how to "play it right". Therefore it's not his fault.

The Cheshire said:
If you want a game, you won't like it.
Then it could be argued it's not a game and we are back at square one.

If someone reviews a game, then if it's not a game it deserves a bad score. You can't argue that the reviewer was not "playing it right".

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
An "artsy" game should be like The Stanley Parable. A fantastic mod for Half-Life 2 (Any source game, really. Even the Free-to-play TF2)

I'm not going to reveal too many things about the game, but I will say that there are many, many endings and the narrative voice is awesome.